Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
@IanW,
Regarding the ski route to Eggalm, you can definitely do it on a snowboard, it is not too flat. It‘s like a narrow cattrack surrounded by trees, but with a nice gradient. Last time I rode it was in January in the afternoon, it was quite warm, so there was a little bit of slush further down and there was one part where you had to cross another street where the snow coverage was just enough to glide over it, but fine otherwise. In a few parts it was oddly shaped with all the snow pushed to the sides and a kind of „valley“ in the middle, which was a bit tricky and maybe more convenient for skiers than snowboarders, but still ok to do, I actually liked the route.

Regarding the trains, there has also been a discussion further up the thread you might want to check out.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arriving on the 3rd March for a short break. Can anyone recommend some
Ski huts for lunch in the Kaltenbach and Zillertal Arena area? Also some Apres Ski bars in Zell am Ziller where we are staying?

Re lunch, we like a mixture of fine dining and good wholesome food (preferably local cuisine) but not really into self service or pizza and chips. Found Panorama kristallhutte in Kaltenbach area as a good example of higher quality dining.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mini_mo, Platzlalm in Hochzillertal is good and often quieter because it's not so easy to find. It's along a track on the left of red piste 4.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SaraJ, thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Platzalm is great, the other favourites at Kaltenbach are the Wedelhutte and the Kristal.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Valkyrie, Great thanks. I have those earmarked but good to be re-recommended!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, I used the bergfex app to check out the weather next week, it says -23c and 40 km wind!
I know that it's in a week so it might change, but if it stays in this condition, do you think skiing is possible?
I have only one week to ski every year or 2 and it's making me anxious
Neutral
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been using that app aswell, pretty good with the webcams. Think I'll be off to the shops today to purchase some more layers!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Certainly looks very cold on the forecasts! How was it on the mountain?

I remember a few years ago in Tignes at minus 24 plus wind and my wife couldn’t stay out for longer than 30 mins at a time!

Lots of gluhwein or heiße Schokolade needed Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went the ahorn today just for bit of fun on the first day, wasn't to cold with our gear on. Did get some heavy fog though so decided to call it a day Mid afternoon. Feels cold in the town tonight with the wind but I guess walking about in jeans doesn't help aha
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bennyboy1, it was not so bad for me today, but I am dreading tomorrow.
People recommended buying this to help against my cold feet-

https://www.chelstondirect.com/alpenheat-ski-boot-cover.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhPj9ifqW2AIV7r_tCh1LSwAxEAQYAiABEgIO3PD_BwE

Anyone has an idea where in Zillertal I can find it?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure but you should get some boot and hand warmers. Cheap and easy to use.

How are the piste conditions?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bennyboy1, what do you mean by "boot warmers"? Where can i find them?
The pistes were amazing today.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Something like this http://www.snowlab.co.uk/only-hot-foot-warmers.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjJXu5fDB2QIVkhobCh1nIATMEAQYCCABEgKOUvD_BwE#.WpMZZnCnyEc

Most of the big ski shops will have them in town. I would have though Intersport should have them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bennyboy1, thanks, I'll go into intersport before I go up to Hochzillertal tomorrow morning.
snow conditions
@michald, there are a couple of shops at the base of the Kaltenbach lifts. I would expect they would have the warmers there.
ski holidays
Thanks, I bought it in the morning. It helped I think, I was not too cold untill 14:00, but then the wind came and we had to go down. All in all a great day in Hochzillertal, there was some sun and the snow was lovely.
snow conditions
any updates ? Very Happy or is it too "cold" to ski this week teehe snowHead
snow report
https://www.best-of-zillertal.at/en/winter/snow-report/

Can anybody explain what "Handy Snow" is?
ski holidays
@nobsoc, last couple of days we're the best skiing I've ever had! The snow is perfect and the weather is great.
ski holidays
@KirwanKir, Poor translation.
By the power of google :
griffig [handlich]handy {adj}
griffig [Schnee]grippy {adj} [snow]
Smile
snow report
glad to hear the conditions are good ! off to Mayrhofen on the 10th ! snowHead
snow report
and we're off to Hochzillertal on the 18th - hopefully there will be plenty of snow left Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks again for replies to my earlier questions on here. Posted a TR on the TR thread, which I can’t work out how to link, sorry.
latest report
is there a bus from the train station at Zell am Ziller to the Lift ???
snow conditions
heliphil wrote:
is there a bus from the train station at Zell am Ziller to the Lift ???

Yes.
latest report
Is anyone out in the valley this week? How are conditions?
ski holidays
The weather forecast says ~40cm of new snow over the next week so its keeping topped up nicely.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am praying for that! I arrive Friday next week with the family.
snow report
We will be there too from the 24th, same week as last year which is 1 to 3 weeks earlier than we have done for the previous 15 years which may be good or bad.

Good, even quieter than the Easter weeks and in theory better snow. Last year I think the longest queue was less than 1 minute.

Bad, Easter weeks seems to buck the snow trend at the Hoff and are usually very good and there tends to be more sun at Easter.

Either way I expect it to be great as I've never had a bad week at the Hof.
snow conditions
I take it there would also be a bus from the station in Mayrhofen to the Penkenbahn lift
snow report
Yes it’s one stop from the lift. Bus b

latest report
Anyone on the ground? Reading reports of slushy conditions elsewhere in austria though its due to be colder next week. trying to decide between mayr and possibly ischgl for next weekend.
ski holidays
Bergfex showing 17cm snow on Wednesday but Snow-forecast only showing a couple of cm each day. Much colder this week though.
snow report
I'll try to report Monday evening after our first days skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
Been on the Ahorn today. Conditions perfect. Black 5 down to the valley is quickly becoming my favourite piste in Mayrhofen.

Snow on Ahorn is grippy and really no ice. Soft towards the bottom but no slush yet (rain in valley forecast for later in week). Feels much warmer in valley than yesterday when we arrived.

Perfect blue sky😀
snow report
Snowed a lot last week and was cold but some slush showing by Saturday afternoon - plenty of snow up high so I guess it will last easily for a few more weeks
latest report
Was a lot colder today. All the slush was frozen over. Stayed around a Penken / Horberg today.

Started snowing around 10.30am down to 1500m. White out most of the afternoon. Pistes in super condition. More snow on its way.
latest report
Thanks very much for the latest. Following with great interest as we are coming out over Easter. We are thinking of visiting other parts of the valley so any reports on their condition/or areas to avoid would be very welcome.
snow conditions
We will make a trip out tomorrow. Probably Kaltenbach but depends on weather.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy