Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice please - 2 dodgy ankles!

Poster: A snowHead
hello all

I would really appreciate some advice. In October I managed to crack a bone in my left foot (have a small bone chip nr. ankle joint), because of this break, my brain forgot where my foot was & I fell over a few times, tearing a ligament in that foot and also a ligament or 2 in the right ankle - so, I have 2 bad ankles. We are going skiing end of march. my questions are? has anyone any similar experience? should I do gentle exercises & have some gentle lessons - (I have been skiing since I was v.small, so am confident & fast but untidy!) I think the lessons are maybe quite important as my brain still isn't completely sure where my left foot is.
Also (sorry!) I really need some new ski boots - do I go for softer ones?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Also (sorry!) I really need some new ski boots - do I go for softer ones?

I'm sure smallzookeeper will be along in a mo to answer your questions & give advice, if not drop him a pm
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh and welcome and best of luck getting back into it!! snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cheers Dan - I will never book & pay for a ski holiday in sept. again!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rpft@rpft.co.uk, You shouldn't have to many problems. Essentially the ski boot is a plastic cast, so will support the foot and ankle. Most important things are to get some good orthotics made to stop the joints over working and ensure you can wear them in everyday footwear.
With regadrs ski boots, i would always say buy. They have to be custom built for your ability and foot/leg's needs. This may require an investment in time but can often be the difference. Stiffness, don't read too much into this. Your weight and aggressiveness are more a factor than percieved ability. Find yourself a good bootfitter and treat them well. Try CEM in Bicester for you orthotics, he can also advise you as to which shell shape and flex will be the most appropriate. Good Luck. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
smallzookeeper - thanks for the advice - will go to CEM.

rebecca
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get a stability cushion / wobble cushion. They are fantastic at gently building up strength and stability.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scarpa - thanks - hadn't thought of that, didn't realise they built up strength either.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I mauled my ankle, a goalie told me that I'd know it was better (i.e. that my brain had re-learnt to balance as well as building up strength) when I could stand on the one leg (the dodgy one) and go up and down on tiptoe without falling over. Though that might have just been his way of providing cheap entertainment as I wobbled around the place! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ouch, just tried that with both - can almost do it! the consultant said that being able to stand on one foot with eyes closed is the ultimate test for damaged nerves. look like a real idiot doing that one.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rpft@rpft.co.uk, If you stand on one and slowly drop into a crouch (like a downhill skiing position), maybe put some swivels from the waist to each side, it's surprising how much your muscles feel the strain. A lot of the football and rugby training sites now incorporate the techniques.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scarpa are you trying to kill me?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rpft@rpft.co.uk,
Quote:

scarpa are you trying to kill me?

Only if he can watch Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Im thinking of selling tickets....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I heard of a woman who can do squats on top of a swiss ball - now that is some balancing skills Cool
ski holidays
Quote:

Get a stability cushion / wobble cushion.

I pulled the ligaments in my ankle falling off one of these....
latest report
I find that skiing is just about the only thing where having dodgy ankles doesn't matter. I broke my ankle back in 1983 & started skiing the following year. Never had a problem. I then managed to tear a ligament in the same place in the same ankle many years later and it is definitely still weak - certain sitting positions in yoga are still murder on it all these years later. I don't wear high heeled shoes anymore because of it & I'm always terrified of going over on it when I'm out running. Because my ankle is strongly supported in my ski boots however, my ankle has never even felt sore at the end of a day's skiing.

Don't push yourself too hard once you are out skiing & just see how it feels - you may be surprised. I was told by my doctor when I tore my ligament that cycling on a stationary bike was a good way of buiding up the strength in the ankle but not on a real bike as you may fall off!
ski holidays
Scarpa,
Quote:

I heard of a woman who can do squats on top of a swiss ball - now that is some balancing skills

that woman is Chemmy Alcott, and a dare say most of the others on the WC circuit can do the same.....now that really is core stability
snow report
CEM, Ta for the name - will search for info. Although seals are quite good at balance exercises also.
snow conditions
until CEM named the skier who does ' squats on a swiss ball' I had assumed that scarpa had been watching too many 11.00 freebies!!

Sazza42 - I had always assumed this about ankles, but a skier (instructer) who I really respect told me that you really need your ankles to ski properly - and this is why I started this thread.

thanks ever so to all who gave suggestions. I am feeling more positive about skiing in march now. trouble is, I just know that when I get on the first lift - all ability to rationalise flies away and f**k the ankles will be the last comment rattling around in my head! Toofy Grin
latest report
sazza42, I was told by my doctor when I tore my ligament that cycling on a stationary bike was a good way of buiding up the strength in the ankle but not on a real bike as you may fall off!

will try this - thanks
snow report
I'm sure you do need your ankles for skiing, but what I'm getting at is that skiing seems to make them ache less than some other activities.
snow report
AJ Bear has the best stability ball balance tricks!

You can't tell where foot is because you damage proprioceptive nerves from that area... these nerves give feedback on muscle tension (so you know if the muscle is tense) and rotation and angulation of a joint (from muscle data).... Hence they provide the information you need to know where it is and how fast it is moving (or how fast it will go when you let the opposing muscle that is holding it still go)....

I have no proprioception at all (as far as we know) - no proprioceptive nerves seem to have survived my birth... no knee jerk reflex etc... I can ski & do... just had to learn a little harder....

Any balance work you do on that ankle will help you improve.... Dynadisc will REALLY help strength and balance.... try to stand on 1 leg and to then do 1 leg squat.... just go as faR AS YOU CAN.... You can try tapping on a wall with a finger to aid balance to start with.... REALLY focus on the sensations in you foot (touch and pressure) as you do it and it will be easier....

Unless you are very unlucky the nerce will grow back and you will be fine .... but the training helps to prevent reinjury in the interim (which can be months)

If you don't wantb to get a dynadisc & your gym does not have one try a small running trampoline thingy... or a small thin pillow
snow report
little tiger, Are you a qualified Physiotherapist?
snow conditions
little tiger, cheers for this info., - have only just read it. think nerve is better as i haven't fallen over for ages! feel v.sorry for you not having the proprioceptive nerves - i found it extremely unnerving not knowing where that foot was .... will try to get a disc thingy.
rebecca
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy