Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
I use the panomax webcams for a view around the area now, they are good high res and have archive built in plus they then hyperlink to each other so you can travel easily around the Sella Ronda using them Happy

Now all I have to do is be patient until early Feb.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And the very latest ones show temperature/wind/map and more....

https://www.valgardena.it/en/val-gardena/information-services/weather-live-cams/live-webcam/seceda-panocam/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wonder how they decide when the base is deep enough? They’ll have 40 years of snowmaking data so must know the different depths required to set up for the season. There may even be some gentle elevated north facing runs that do not need any more snow this season. Others will require snow making into March.

Also I wonder whether the good start across the alps will mean more or fewer skiers in the Sella Ronda before Christmas ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chomski Thanks for the advice!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The cold looks a bit fearsome Saturday- monday
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
True, but then the snow is back in the forecast for Monday / Tuesday so mustn't grumble.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Areas that form part of or link to the sella Ronda now reporting (6th Dec) almost 389kms of skiing open and 186 lifts running.

To put that in context there are currently 150kms open at St Anton/Warth, 128kms open at Espace Killy and 80kms of runs open in the 3 valleys.

The Super Dolimiti lift pass area is reporting 731 kms of open runs today..... More than enough for a weekend snowHead

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/live-info/open-slopes

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 6-12-17 13:28; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Counter clockwise opens tomorrow (6th) ; clock on the 8th
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter S wrote:
The cold looks a bit fearsome Saturday- monday

Ideal snow cannon weather snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now reporting 401km of ski runs open and 191 lifts operational. snowHead

The superdolimiti lift pass areas has 829km open today out of a total of 1,200km possible.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dolomiti Superski currently 354 lifts are open and more than 840 km of slopes are ready to be enjoyed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter S wrote:
almost 389kms of skiing open and 186 lifts running.

That got me thinking:

The record for riding the most different ski lifts in 24 hours is 46 and was achieved by Aaron Doig, Kieron Waller (both UK) and Koji Hoshino (Japan) who rode lifts at six different ski resorts in Yuzawa, Niigata Prefecture, Japan, on 27 March 2009. The ski resorts in question were Ishiuchi, Gala, Iwappara, Kandatsu, Kagura and Naeba. In fact the attempt finished in just under 9 hours, this is because most of the ski lifts close at dusk so it is difficult to continue for a full 24 hours.

Would the Sella Ronda be a good place to crack that record?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jellylegs wrote:
Peter S wrote:
almost 389kms of skiing open and 186 lifts running.

That got me thinking:

The record for riding the most different ski lifts in 24 hours is 46 and was achieved by Aaron Doig, Kieron Waller (both UK) and Koji Hoshino (Japan) who rode lifts at six different ski resorts in Yuzawa, Niigata Prefecture, Japan, on 27 March 2009. The ski resorts in question were Ishiuchi, Gala, Iwappara, Kandatsu, Kagura and Naeba. In fact the attempt finished in just under 9 hours, this is because most of the ski lifts close at dusk so it is difficult to continue for a full 24 hours.

Would the Sella Ronda be a good place to crack that record?

There are 12 lifts on the Orange (Clockwise) and 16 on the Green (Anti-clockwise) routes, so 28 total if you did the Sella Ronda both ways. 18 to go. Maybe if you chucked in the 7 drags and 1 chair at the base of the Dantercepies, the 4 lifts at Colfosco Edelweiss Valley and the 6 non-Ronda lifts above Plan de Gralba, you could do it...Oh, but you need one more to beat the record...the Pudra drag at Plan de Gralba! wink

You might be able to do that on a quiet day with an early start. You wouldn't be able to do more than 9 hours as the lifts don't stay open beyond 5pm, even in March.

There might be an easier way to do it, focusing on the places with shorter lifts. I reckon if you started the Orange Sella Ronda on the Selva Nursery drags, headed over to Colfosco, knocking off Edelweiss valley then did a chunk of the lifts above Corvara before heading over to Arabba. At Belvedere above Canazei, there's a maze of lifts, then again at Col Rodella above Campitello. Drop down to Plan de Gralba and do everything in that area before dropping onto the nursery area on Monte Pana above Sta Cristina and I reckon you would be looking to smashing the record and probably doable on a quiet day in late March.

So when are we going to do it?? snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luigi wrote:
So when are we going to do it?? snowHead

He He, not my scene, but there's a few on the BB that might want to give it a go! Well done for sussing out a route Very Happy Sounds plausible to me.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ive been thinking about trying clockwise/anti-clockwise in one day and found this:
http://blog.holimites.com/en/skiing-sellaronda-in-one-day/
4 x Sella Ronda in one day, wowee. Would be an amazing day!!
snow conditions
See Ronald. He did it twice in one direction and once in the other.
ski holidays
I see Val di Fassa's Facebook page has already declared it the best season ever this morning...
ski holidays
Perfect piste awaits.....

latest report
Still looking promising for heavy snow early next week as a big low meets cold air in the Alps. Lombardy & Friuli/Julians look like they'll cop more, but also promising for the Dollies. This season just keeps getting better! snowHead
snow conditions
Yup. the forecast is looking good for more snow on Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday is looking a bit too warm for comfort as it might end up as rain down in the valley. A great start to the season though, with more unsettled weather still to come.
ski holidays
Storm force 10 showing up on Bergfex tomorrow. That’ll close the links. But plenty of sheltered runs and lifts available.
latest report
The next few days are looking very stormy & unpredictable, but ARPAV are going for anywhere between 50-100cm of snow at 2000m over the next 48hrs, though freeze levels are rising to the point where it will probably get a bit soggy in some lower resorts. They're saying snow down to 1200-1300m for most of tomorrow and rising a bit higher to 1400-1800m by Tuesday. Very windy at altitude, time to find some sheltered, tree-lined pistes.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php
latest report
All looks ok from the webcams this morning - I feared rain at resort level might have washed away the snow. Bergfex reporting 10cm as at 17.35 yesterday at both mountain and valley level in Wolkenstein/ Selva
snow report
pjd wrote:
All looks ok from the webcams this morning - I feared rain at resort level might have washed away the snow. Bergfex reporting 10cm as at 17.35 yesterday at both mountain and valley level in Wolkenstein/ Selva

All looks quiet this morning, I think there was a bit more snow overnight. Bergfex have updated with new snow figures of 30cm mountain/40 cm valley in Arabba which is a useful amount. There may be a bit more tonight and Friday is also looking promising for another top-up.

https://www.bergfex.com/arabba/schneebericht/
snow report
Canazei are reporting 60cm mountain & 30cm valley, yet just over the hill in Selva, just 10cm/5cm, so the snowfall from this storm was definitely on the patchy side. The SW current benefited some more than others.

https://www.bergfex.com/belvedere-fassatal-val-fassa/schneebericht/

https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/schneebericht/
snow report
The bonus however is that they are reporting 408kms skiable in the Sella Ronda connected area and 179 lifts open (296 in the super dolimiti area).

In the western Alps The 3 valleys are socked in with only 4 lifts operational this morning out of 143 Shocked
snow report
That may be due to the Avalanche risk (currently 4/5)

La plagne doesn't even open until the 16th....
snow conditions
How's it looking for skiing next week?

I've got the option of St Anton or Selva. I've had better hotel offers in Selva but I know there's been loads of snaw in St Anton.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://sassolevante.it-wms.com/wmspanoviewer.php?lang=it&cam=2&conf=1

Its looking moderately awesome today! The Dolomites will normally be the default option for piste skiing because there is so much of it already open and a high likleyhood that it will remain open on any given day, because of its shelter.

St Anton is the place to go if you want some medium to serious off piste and some very advanced Apres snowHead

If you haven't been to the Dollies before and have a potentially good hotel offer, that would be my choice snowHead

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 13-12-17 13:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
sean1967 wrote:

I've got the option of St Anton or Selva. I've had better hotel offers in Selva but I know there's been loads of snaw in St Anton.

Depends what you want...for off-piste potential & crazy apres, go St Anton...for immaculate pistes, good food and relaxed apres, choose Selva. snowHead
latest report
luigi wrote:
sean1967 wrote:

Depends what you want...for off-piste potential & crazy apres, go St Anton...for immaculate pistes, good food and relaxed apres, choose Selva. snowHead

Thanks

Are the pistes in good condition? I have been to both before and like Selva very much.
latest report
World Cup Ski Racing this weekend on the Saslong in Val Gardena...

http://www.saslong.org/en/races/
snow report
Just click around the webcams on the link above. They certainly look pretty good and there wont be any rocks. No doubt someone will be around soon who is actually out there.
snow report
sean1967 wrote:
luigi wrote:
sean1967 wrote:

Thanks

Are the pistes in good condition? I have been to both before and like Selva very much.

I don't think anyone's there at the moment, but with the recent snowfall and cold temps, conditions look perfect for piste skiing.
snow conditions
Sella Ronda now reporting 427kms open and 193 lifts running. That's currently twice the amount of St Anton or Saalbach which seem to be the next largest interconnected areas open in the Alps.
ski holidays
and on a smaller scale I see that the Punta Trieste - Pralongià variante piste is open. This has been closed and unpisted for most of the last 2 years, I think because it relies on natural snow and there hasn't been enough for them to bother with it. It's certainly looking like a great start to the season.
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Sella Ronda now reporting 427kms open and 193 lifts running. That's currently twice the amount of St Anton or Saalbach which seem to be the next largest interconnected areas open in the Alps.

Think the reason that not all slopes are open yet in Saalbach is that there are very few people there at the moment. It certainly wont be because of a lack of snow as they have 80cm in the valley and 100cm on the mountain!!
latest report
@jimmybog, Currently sitting in the Bergeralm after getting my ski legs back . There are 56 lifts and 88 runs open in Saalbach - that’s roughly a run each for the number of people here. Fantastic conditions and been bucketing down for most of today and yesterday.
ski holidays
Conditions in Alta Badia were perfect today (at least it looked like that on Eurosport ! wink )
ski holidays
They are indeed. The pistes are great, hard snow but not icy. I think most of runs are open and well maintained. And the views are great as these is a lot of natural snow Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy