Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
I wish my daily commute was from Venice to Passo Falzarego rather than Clapham to The City!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Cortina Faloria piste looks like it's already open. Sunchairs on the deck, skiers on the slopes and button lift operating. I guess that explains why they were clearing the snow from the deck yesterday.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133271#3121126
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haha, my post above makes no sense at all when it's at the top of a new page - if anyone's interested it references the "tube" map posted by luigi on page 1 Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c561/

Some nice piles of snow being made for us snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They really are class at snow making in that part of the world. My usual snow cd is in control this year. Don't see there being an issue with piste skiing at the end of jan start of feb. Never this calm about snow conditions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alta Badia just published their opening video for this year, filmed last week. All that snow makes it look really stunning.

http://youtube.com/v/1Qvw0IHlAPk
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow, looks a whole lot better than the ribbons of white amidst brown meadows of the early part of last season!

A good base appears to be laid, though it doesn't mean we don't need a regular topping up of white stuff and cool temps to preserve it all as the season progresses.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's looking like a dream start to their season. A covering of natural snow but not too much to cause disruption. A robust base being established on most runs, by the look of the webcams.
Cold, dry, sunny and probably not too windy this week. With a dry and cold northerly airstream after wednesday, the snow should be very good by the weekend. Opening day on Saturday could be superb if the sun shines

Good prospects for the all important Christmas holidays.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks from the webcams like there was a bit more snow overnight
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That vid almost makes me want to book a trip to the Dolomites, but then, I have to stop myself and realize, there's a whole lot of winter ahead...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luigi wrote:
I came across this crazy map of the Dolomites, in the style of the London Underground. The Sella Ronda is the Circle Line. All your favourite resorts are on there. snowHead

Simply wonderful.

That's getting printed and put on my office wall to keep me sane during the summer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They seem to be getting a bit more than forecast today, which is nice to see. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

Simply wonderful.

That's getting printed and put on my office wall to keep me sane during the summer.

Apparently they do produce them for that purpose:

https://www.frozenunderground.com/store/p97/Italy_Dolomites_Superski_Network_Map_%7C_42cm_x_30cm_Art_Poster.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@luigi, @cameronphillips2000, Excellent! A Dolomiti piste map I can understand.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking at the webcams suggests a useful top up of snow across the dolomites. It's certainly looking like it's going to be one of the best starts to the season for a while when they open on Saturday. The weather's looking nice and sunny for the week too so anyone going out for the opening week is going to have a great time with plenty of snow, great scenery and lovely sunshine.
snow report
Yep, another few cms today in Val Gardena, and likely more at altitude. This will be our first trip to the area this year, albeit in mid-Feb, so hoping this continues. I'm not expecting a lot of natural snow, but it would be great if there's a white blanket while we're there.
ski holidays
@Pasigal, this coming Feb will be our 6th consecutive 1/2 term in Selva and we've always had plenty of natural snow - even this year. Whilst the snow-making there is now legendary, there's a good reason there's a massive ski area there in the first place! Granted, not always fresh natural snow but if it's not snowing, it's sunny! (and if it is snowing, the slopes are deserted - win win!)
snow report
Wow, going to Arabba on the 16th Dec with my son. Went last last year over Christmas and was great even though mostly man made snow with just the slopes covered.

Looks like we should be ok for snow this year😀
snow report
Hi all, I am looking at Alta Badia for the first time this season - I’ve skied the PdS for the past few years given the easy access to Les Gets / Morzine from Geneva.
Is there anyone here who has been to both and can compare them?
Also what airport is the easiest to get to/from?

Any advice appreciated!! 👍
snow report
zvordauk wrote:
Hi all, I am looking at Alta Badia for the first time this season - I’ve skied the PdS for the past few years given the easy access to Les Gets / Morzine from Geneva.

Best airport for Alta Badia resorts is Innsbruck in Austria via the Brenner Pass. Verona, Venice Treviso & Venice Marco Polo to the South are a bit further and also involve some higher passes, which are usually kept open in Winter, but could be problematic after a heavy snowfall.

As to comparisons to Portes du Soleil, the Sella Ronda linked circuit (Siusi to Malga Ciapela, Pedraces to Pozza di Fassa) certainly looks to cover more area on this useful map:

http://www.opensnowmap.org/

Not just the extent & quality of the skiing, but the scenery, the food, the welcome, I don't think you would be disappointed! Very Happy
latest report
A Genoa Low/Retour d'Est scenario is brewing for Italy for Friday into Saturday. Earlier maps were more hopeful for some dumpage in the Dolomites, but now the Apennines and Piedmontese Alps seem to be the main targets. Some resorts getting 1m+ forecasts on WePowder:

http://wepowder.com/en

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 1-12-17 0:12; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Described here in more detail:

http://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/250186
snow report
zvordauk wrote:

IMO PdS has better skiing. PdS terrain is quite varied whereas Sella Ronda is much more cruisy - on beautifully groomed slopes. That's not to say they don't have good off-piste, bumps etc, but you have to search hard to find it!
latest report
@zvordauk, the dollies are very hard to compare with other areas as they are so different.

I have been to PDS and stayed in Chatel but skied almost everywhere and really enjoyed it. Alta Badia(Corvara in particular) has lots of cruisy blues but you are not restricted to just this area as it is just a gateway to the rest of paradise! like this . .
snow conditions
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ap9ayj4jRWmjhj3ISpuY34jB_chL
ski holidays
i give up with trying to show photos, DUH!
latest report
It’s looking embarrassingly good.

I haven’t skied the PDS but I would struggle to go back to France after the Dolomites, other than for off piste skiing.

As well as the food, the prices, the scenery etc the real winner is the reliability, extent and quality of the piste skiing. There are hundreds of kms of runs with real character and no rocks. You don’t need to worry about avalanches or closed lifts. Most of the time it is sunny and sheltered.

Just today there are over 100kms of skiing open in the sella Ronda area with val Gardena and alp de Suisa not open yet. That is already more than the 3 valleys and espace Killy.

I’d also just put a word in for Venice airport. It’s essentially snow free and has ILS so fog bound approaches are less of a problem. The airport has very few skiers and is relaxed. The transfer is very beautiful if a little twisty the last hour.

Have a great time .

Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 1-12-17 17:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@zvordauk . Closest airport is Innsbruck. But flights are more plentiful and cheaper at Venice Marco Polo and Treviso. EasyJet and RyanAir do very good deals. Getting from Venice to Dolomites takes 2-3 hours depending on where you're staying. Some hotels organise their own pickup service. I have used Dolomitistars several times (https://www.dolomiti.org/en/arabba/transfer/). They have 2 services on sat, 2 on Sun and 1 on Thur. Cost is 60E return, or 40 Euro if you are staying in one of the hotels subsidising the service in Civetta, Falcade, or Arabba. Alta Badia has fewer options.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
northantsred wrote:
i give up with trying to show photos, DUH!

Is this what you wanted?? wink

latest report
I have a small problemette with my mydolomitisuperski card. I bought a season pass last year when I stayed in the area for several weeks. Recently I wanted to revisit some of the my skiing itineraries, to see where I'd been. Unfortunately, on typing in my ID the website says that this ID is not allocated to me but to some unspecified other. So my past skiing activities have disappeared.

However, I an going for a week over new year and was thinking of replenishing my ski pass online rather than buying a new one when I arrive. But given my experience above I'm worried that I will be adding funds to someonelse's ski card. I suppose the sensible thing to do would be to busy a new one when I get there. Still... I would like to retrieve my last year's ski history if possible. I have emailed dolomitisuperski but no response so far. Any advice?
latest report
chomski wrote:
@zvordauk . Closest airport is Innsbruck. But flights are more plentiful and cheaper at Venice Marco Polo and Treviso. EasyJet and RyanAir do very good deals. Getting from Venice to Dolomites takes 2-3 hours depending on where you're staying. Some hotels organise their own pickup service. I have used Dolomitistars several times (https://www.dolomiti.org/en/arabba/transfer/). They have 2 services on sat, 2 on Sun and 1 on Thur. Cost is 60E return, or 40 Euro if you are staying in one of the hotels subsidising the service in Civetta, Falcade, or Arabba. Alta Badia has fewer options.

Yes I would agree that getting to Alta Badia from Venice/Treviso by shared bus does seem to be a lot more difficult - the Cortina Express timetable gets you into Alta Badia quite late in the day. Although more pricey, I concluded that one option is to take a Dolomitistars as chomski suggests and then consider a taxi across from Arabba (partly depends on how many of you there are and where exactly you are going in Alta Badia).
ski holidays
there is this bus service

https://www.altoadigebus.com/

Never used it tho'....
snow report
@luigi, are you a genius or am I just plain stupid?

Very Happy
ski holidays
Looks like a lovely first day in the Alta badia.

33 lifts running and 70kms of pistes now open. That's the same quantity of currently open piste as Zermatt/Cervinia, but 10 more lifts running.

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c12570/

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 4-12-17 13:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Peter S wrote:

33 lifts running and 70kms of pistes now open.

Yes, stunning views on some of those webcams. Hope it's still looking as good in March...
ski holidays
Thank you ALL for the information.
I'm not an off-pister (I'm in my 40s, learned to ski about 10 years ago and only ski for 1 week a year (maybe I should try at least!)) so well groomed cruisers sound great to me Smile
I'm considering car hire over shared bus just purely for convenience. Haven't looked into costs yet but given that there are limited options in, it might make sense.
Again, thanks for the info so far. Keep it coming!!
snow report
Oooh. Bergfex (ECM based) forecasting 2 foot of snow to arrive next weekend. That would just be the icing on the cake for what's already a pretty good start to the season.

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/wetter/berg/
ski holidays
@zvordauk. If you hire a car in Venice, you should specify a winterised version, ie snow tyres, chains. If it's a diesel then Venice fuel stations unlikely to be adding low temperature additives: make sure you fill up as soon as you get into the mountains. Road is fast motorway as far as Belluno, then it gets more exciting. Scariest bit is Passo Falzarego above Cortina. But they are pretty thorough with snow-ploughs. Good Luck.
latest report
agw wrote:

Yes, stunning views on some of those webcams. Hope it's still looking as good in March...

Ditto - we are going out last week of March again to Badia. Looks like they have already had more natural snow than the whole of last season snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 3-12-17 12:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:

33 lifts running and 70kms of pistes now open.

Looking like a great start to the season!! snowHead

The best thing about the Bergfex webcam pages is that they archive a number of daytime images for each cam, so if you're browsing of an evening, you can still get a good view! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy