Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

the skier with the non slkiing girlfrend who likes hiking

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
I have a girlfriend who tried skiing but sadly medically skiing isn't good for her due to injury, however she loves hiking, however the ski resorts seem to be poor on hiking or non skiing experiences Sad any one have any recommendations & experiences of a good place for winter hiking, near Munich/Sandburg side of the alps?
We tried Soll Austria last year but but there as no hiking even though it was advertised, anyone know of any good winter walking groups in the alps? or any good spa towns in the alps?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's plenty of spa towns around there - Bad Gastein/ Hofgastein is just one that springs to mind
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jackcards, does snow-shoeing work? At least two snow-shoe companies in Chamonix...

Your problem is that the needed element for skiing (snow) kind of precludes walking...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I see plenty of people hiking around the Jungfrau and there is good access by train or gondola to meet up for lunch
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neither of those places are near Munich

There's also Innsbruck for a bigger city but not sure if you'd prefer to be in resort

Don't think you'll have trouble finding a spot, I'm just not familiar with that area but I'm sure someone else will be along
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Lechbob, actually, thinking about it, many of the Swiss resorts, being very well connected, might suit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think Garmisch Partenkirchen is supposed to have good winter hiking. The skiing might be a bit limited though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@moseyp, a fair point!

My point was only that maybe looking for snowshoeing might help.

Also that Switzerland, oh, yes, well, that is a bit useless isn't it!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jungfrau Region. Wengen, Grindelwald or Mürren will suit you. Lots of winter hiking, and a reduced price lift pass for hikers too.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/winter-hiking/

Bit of a hike from Munich though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, sure of course. Never been myself but always liked the idea of doing a moonlight one at night
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is x-country/langlauf (sp) allowed? That may also open up some resorts
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't most resorts have some winter hiking paths? Can also be used for snowshoeing. I've walked a couple of times in winter here, once in February when the lifties went on strike for a day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowshoe is the answer.
I have a similar issue which is one of the reasons we go to Whistler as the valley is low enough late on to be clear of snow and plenty of walking available. Not many low enough resorts in the Alps I guess.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kitzbuhel and Kirchberg had some great winter walking options last year including tourist office suggested routes and maps and free 'guided' walks. My wife doesn't ski but likes walking and really enjoyed it. They seemed to make a real effort to cater for non-skiers. There are high level walks from the top of the lifts so walkers can join skiers for lunch if they want but also loads of paths from valley level. I think their website has details and the tourist office sent me out some pretty good free maps and brochures before we went.

Kitzbuhel is pretty close to Munich and an easy drive or simple train ride to get to. Even at half term it only took a couple of hours from Munich by car last year and the train (for other members of the family) was only about 30 euros and dropped off 400 yards from our apartment in Kirchberg.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Look at Collett's - Dolomites - They offer skiing and snow-shoeing from most of their chalets.
latest report
I can recommend snow-shoeing, even if you're a skier. We tried it first about five years ago and now do a day or two most winter holidays, usually when the weather is poor for skiing and/or at the Weekend when the pistes would be more busy. For a start, it often saves a day's skipass fee, so you can eat out on the savings, which is nice. And you know what it's like on those days when it's foggy/snowing hard/windy and you ski just because you got the pass but really, it's no fun? Snowshoeing is a great alternative and it's excellent exercise. It's amazing how quickly you can get away from the crowds: where we go, you're on lovely forest paths within a minute of leaving the piste but still fairly near to the resort, so there's no of that 'range anxiety' you get when you're miles form your base with a long trek home.

What you do need to do is take a careful look at what sort of walking itineraries there are available in your chosen resort. None of them are going to say they're poor, and being a big, well-known ski rsport doesn't necessarily guarantee good walks. If you do get a shortlist, see if thy have maps specifically for walkers, which is a good sign.

You can usually hire snow shoes ('racquettes') in the resort. First time, as with skis, I'd say hire and then buy if you get the bug. This is last winter on a very snowy day when it was a whiteout on the upper slopes, so we decided to do some walking:

http://youtube.com/v/XEx6XF_j43I

We have shoes which are hinged. When you go uphill, you undo the rear clip and the shoes hinge at the front, to make climbing easier. Otherwise, you just clip the rears down (as here) for level/downhill. We have an apartment in the Swiss village of La Tzoumaz, which is linked to Verbier and has a number of walks. The Valais 'bisses' are man-made irrigation streams and aqueducts which in the summer take the meltwater from the peaks down to the orchards and vineyards in the valley. This one is the Bisse Saxon - about 30kms in all. The very slight inclines make them great for walking/racquetting. Verbier itself also has similar bisses, as does Nendaz. AS well as the usual woodland tracks.
snow conditions
How serious is the relationship. Too late to bail out? Laughing
ski holidays
Saalbach-Hinterglemm has an extensive programme for non-skiers, including guided walks and snow-shoeing. It is an easy transfer (car, train or Shuttle) from Munich.

There is a non-skiers lift ticket and restaurants at the top of all of the main lifts (except the Kohlmais, where the restaurants are at the mid-station) so you can meet up for lunch. Zell am See is a short bus ride away for a scenic and easy walk along the lake promenade.

See: https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/activities/winter-hiking_a_1634 - there is a 20-page 'Alternative Activities' brochure available to download at the bottom of the page.
snow report
seefeld has great hiking, but the skiing is limited!!
ski holidays
seefeld has great hiking, but the skiing is limited!!
snow report
+1 for saalbach/hinterglemm where they groom a number of walking trails of different grades, most of which pass by piste side restaurants at some stage. I took my non-skiing partner there a few years ago and over breakfast we'd study the booklet produced by the tourist office, she'd decide which walk and time it so that we could meet at a restaurant for lunch. She'd then walk, I'd ski .....
snow report
@jackcards, As others have suggested, Saalbach is ideal - beautiful riverside walks throughout the length of the Glemm valley, guided hiking and snow-shoe walking, 60 mountain restaurants for arranging lunchtime rendezvous, pretty, forested scenery, and the Golden Gate Bridge of the Alps! Also plenty of opportunity for expending any reserves of energy at apres-ski venues like the Goassstall, the Hinterhagalm, the Spitzbub, and the Schwarzacher.
snow report
@tatmanstours, ah,the Schwarzacher, my favourite apres bar of all time! now there's a good thread idea!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
How about Aletsch Arena in the Valais? Not been myself but there were reps at Mount Hemel yesterday and they seemed to mention the winter hiking almost before the skiing so I guess its a big part of their offer. Checked out the piste plan and it has many kilometres of 'pisted' hiking and snowshowing trails marked. If I was looking for that sort of thing i'd defo give it a bash.
snow report
@gazzaredcruiser, been done many times!!! 😉😉
ski holidays
@gazzaredcruiser, and @HoneyBunny, Must give it my custom this season, if I can drag myself away from the Hinterhagalm Smile
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, @HoneyBunny, Haven't been there for four years!!! must return in 2019
ski holidays
+1 for Bad Hofgastein. You can walk along the valley floor to Gastein 10k or Dorfgastein in the other direction. Gastein is a proper town to have a look around.There are gondola lifts to the top in both towns so she can travel up and meet you for lunch. There is also the spa element to both towns which is a day at least in each. She may also find the radon gas spas in Gastein diverting ( although I can't see the attraction. ) If you can push the boat out have a look a the Goldberg Hotel. in Hofgastein.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LaForet wrote:

We have shoes which are hinged. When you go uphill, you undo the rear clip and the shoes hinge at the front, to make climbing easier. Otherwise, you just clip the rears down (as here) for level/downhill..

that's for storage/transport, the deck needs to flex really.
snow report
Thanks everyone for the replies.
@jimmjimm I won't bali out now LOL Smile Smile
I've loads of researching to do now! Smile
latest report
Bring a fur coat and stroll the green pistes of courcheval Very Happy
latest report
Is 'hiking' a euphemism?
snow conditions
I took a hike in the snow here today. Beautiful when above the cloud. Went up to 1900m (much higher I think I might have needed snowshoes) then down below the resort and back. The snow is pretty nice Very Happy However I know the path not sure I'd have been comfortable if I hadn't. Looking at the footprints only 1 other person had been there since the last snowfall.

ski holidays
Don't think anyone has mentioned it but what about snowboarding?
ski holidays
We stayed in St Christoph a few years ago & there were a couple of people in our hotel who were just there to walk. The bus system was good so they could head off to Lech & St Anton to pick up trails there. Apparently the walk along the river to Zurs was particularly good. Obviously the skiing was fabulous as well.
snow report
cant she take up snowboarding? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Our situation is similar to yours - a wife who can't ski due to injuries.
If you're prepared to go elsewhere then have a look a Collett's offering in the Dolomites - mainly chalet-based holidays with organised snowshoeing as well as skiing. They also have self catering and deals with hotels. They were recommended to me on Snowheads a few years ago and we have been there every season bar one since 2013, going again in 2018.
The exception was when Mrs agw was recovering from a knee op so couldn't even snowshoe - we went to Bad Hofgastein and had a great time (with Crystal, Hotel Oesterreichischer Hof, 4* great value imo), icing on the cake was the late afternoon return flight just gave us time for a trip to Saltzburg.
The Gastein valley has plenty of skiing for a one-week holiday.
snow report
What about winter mountaineering and meet you at the top for lunch? Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy