Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackson Hole's famous 'tram': what will replace it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The famous 40-year-old tram (cablecar) at Wyoming, USA - one of America's few cablecars - will be replaced over the next two years.

The operators are considering three alternatives for future uplift on Rendezvous Peak:

1. Building a new tram with upgraded capacity, at a cost of $25 million
2. Reconditioning the old tram at a cost of $16 million
3. Replacing the tram with a coventional gondola at a cost of $12 million

This report on FirstTracksOnline weighs up the decision. It's an icon of ski transport in the States, so ...

... which would you choose ... if this was your toy set?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would choose something that doesn't break down!

There were a few memorable things about my trip to Jackson Hole - Corbets Couloir, skiing with Tommy Moe and Doug Coombs, seeing Rick Armstrong "pop" a 100 ft cliff and....................the tram breaking down and everybody needing to absail down from it! It took 3.5 hours to get everybody out and it wasn't full! Fortunately, there were some well known extreme skiers in there at the time and they took the lead. "Sick Rick" Armstrong was first down, refusing an extra safety line and going at full speed with the rescue people going crazy, screaming at him. It certainly broke the tension and gave a lot of frightened punters a bit more confidence.

I bet they go for another "tram". Anything less will hit the image of the place.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trams (Cable cars) just aren't as efficient as gondolas in my book - no doubt there are lots of stats to show how you can get superior uplift capacity but to me its a right pain just missing one, whereas as I try to avoid skiing at peak season gondolas rarely cause queues. Plus you don't have to breathe German armpits or smokers breath so closely in a gondy although numpties can cause loading problems when running at capacity.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy