Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coming over from the dark side

Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

I'm new to the forum. I'm a snowboarder and know nothing about skiing or skis.

My problem is as a side slider I am clueless about buying skis for my kids.

I went to a ski store the other day to get advice and look at some of let seasons stuff and the two sales guys got into an argument as they both had very different ideas about what the kids should be using. So after that I started looking on line and came across this site.

The kids

Kid 1 is almost 7 years old 132cm / 26 kgs and has skied 2 weeks ( done her ourson and flocon with ESF)

Kid 2 is 5 years old 122cm / 23kgs and has also done 2 weeks (done piou piou and ourson)

Kid 3 is 3 years old 98cm / 16 kgs and hasn't been on skis yet.

If anyone has advice on what to get for the kids I would really appreciate it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snoway., Others may disagree, but unless you are planning to ski several weeks in a season then don’t buy, just rent. You will save money and save the hassle/cost of transporting them. Whether you rent or buy you will still need to spend half your life in a rental shop changing ski boots to cope with their rapidly growing feet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think we are going to do around 30 days. Luckily the rental shop is next door to the flat Very Happy we will leave all the equipment at the flat.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skis are not that important at that age.
Any dicent ski will do - Kid 1 skischool is more importent. Kid 2 lot of playing time in the snow (with and without skis)- have to spend your time there wink .
Yust my view snowHead .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in the same situation as you Snoway, although I started skiing when the kids did and have hardly been back on a board since.
I would recommend adjustable ski boots, either the Full Tilt or the Roces, although personally I think the Full Tilts are a little better. My daughter who is 5 has been using the same pair of Roces since she was 3 and has never had a problem with them and they should last her this season as well. My son who is 7 has been using his pair of Full Tilt since he was 4 and they also should last him this season. They have both done at least 12 weeks of skiing on them, my son also using his for freestyle and slalom racing.
So lots of years out of their boots for very little expense.
Ski's on the other hand have been replaced every year, as they have both improved and gotten bigger and my daughter even managed to break a ski. Just buy any all mountain ski from one of the main manufacturer's, whatever you can get cheapest on Ekosport etc. You don't need to get expensive skis until they start racing seriously.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snoway., are you planning about 30 days skiing all on one trip to one area? Or are you doing several different trips to different places?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@doddsie, thanks. I found the deals on Ekosport. Thanks for the info on the boots. I will look into those. I'm not sure I will start skiing but I am going to go to the free into to skiing class they give at the resort.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@intermediate, we bought a flat this year so will be going there on weekends and taking a couple of weeks either side of the Feb holidays. We are doing Christmas week at Valloire and I am hoping to go to Tignes for a few days with some girlfriends as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Juvy's - you can't go wrong.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hire for the kids. They make so much progress in the first few weeks that you would be buying new skis twice a week. One of mine got on perfectly with adjustable (hire) boots. The other one hated them.

The worst thing about skiing with small children is that you have to carry two sets of skis, two sets of poles and a small child when they get tired. I wouldn't change it for the earth wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thornyhill - the kids have already done 2 weeks, so I'd buy skis, as they'll last a season. 30 days of hire is fairly expensive as well as being a hassle. Good point about carrying, I wear a rucksack which can strap a pair of skis to each side.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snoway.,
Quote:

@intermediate, we bought a flat this year so will be going there on weekends and taking a couple of weeks either side of the Feb holidays.

If you don't mind the cost and the faffing in rental shops each time, hiring has several advantages. Perhaps a good discount could be negotiated if a regular client? I guess you'd be renting boots anyway, while their feet keep growing.

Then if they're still skiing in 2 or 3 years time, may be worth looking at buying decent quality skis then. With 2 years age gap between the kids, good 'hand me down' potential, if they haven't already trashed the edges! Of course, they may have moved to the 'dark side' by then.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m with Snoway, the simplicity of having a cave full of your own kit beats the hassle of renting every time.

At their ages, I would just get generic piste skis. By the end of your season, they may well be in a position to have Park or powder focussed skis, depending on their tastes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Thornyhill, I have a rucksack for all the overflow

@intermediate, I promised the eldest she could come over to the dark side once she has reached a certain level skiing and if she is strong enough we could start snowboard lessons.

@bar shaker, The skis I am looking at are just simple beginner skis. I don't think they need anything fancy to snowplough rolling eyes the eldest should be starting to go parallel, I think...

Any advice on the lengths of the skis?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
Juvy's - you can't go wrong.

+1 K2 Juvy or shreditor 75. In sizes 129 and 119 for kid 1 and 2. K2 Indy for kid 3 in size 88.
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, thanks, I will have a look for those. I can get K2 luv bugs with bindings in 112 and 124 from a friend for 20€ each. They were used for 2 days last year and she bought them new. Or are they too small? I just found some Indy's online for 50€.
latest report
snoway. wrote:
@Thornyhill, I have a rucksack for all the overflow

Any advice on the lengths of the skis?

People tend to tut and give you dirty looks when you put a child in a rucksack Laughing

When my two started learning we spent three weeks in Killington. The hire shop guy there (Kenny Roots) recommended starting them on a shorter ski and then getting longer as they progressed. Instructor would tell us when it was time to get them longer skis. Shop would then swap the skis out. There was no extra charge for this. It kinda makes sense. A smaller lighter ski is easier to control when you have terrible technique but if you stick with the short ski you don't need to improve. When you get a little bit better you get slightly longer skis, so you need to get a little bit better to master them..at which point you get slightly longer skis... We stuck with this method for their first 6 or 7 weeks by which time they were skiing backwards and carving on one ski. (I still can't do that Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad)
snow report
I have visions of walking up the hill from the ski school with a 1 year old on my shoulders a backpack full of helmets and ski boots carrying the 3 year old and 2 pairs of skis while the 4 and a half year old trudged alongside me whining the whole way. If I could have I would have stuck the 1 year old in the rucksack Laughing

I see the US does awesome rates for long term rentals but here they don't do that so much. I guess they make more money on the weekly stuff.

I envy the kids and their no fear approach... I hit about 50kph and I start thinking if I catch an edge something is gonna break Shocked so I put the brakes on whereas the kid will just think woohoo and angle straighter to go faster Confused
ski holidays
@snoway., watch out on here for promotions. There is usually an Intersports discount code pops up before the start of the season. I think the most I've paid for a week for boots, skis and a helmet for kids was about 40 euro. Most shops will swap them mid week so if the boots don't fit or the skis are too short/long the kids aren't having a miserable time in the wrong kit. The only miserable one will be you.....maybe hire a sleigh and some huskies as well wink

Also, factor in carriage. You don't have a location in your profile but if you are travelling from UK carriage for skis might be as much or more than renting.
ski holidays
I'd buy the skis from your friend, they sound about right, then upgrade the length as your kids improve on the advice of their instructor. If child 2 will accept hand me downs, then you'll only have to buy 1 pair at a time. Unfortunately my daughter always wants her own new skis, rolling eyes I've just bought her 4th pair and she's still only 5.
There's no reason your eldest can't board, my son is only 7 and smaller and lighter than your 5 year old and he can heel/toe down most runs without a problem, although he only bothers for a couple of hours a season.
Find a rucksack with lots of straps Very Happy , it's amazing how many skis and helmets you can get on your back and still carry a child.
snow conditions
@Thornyhill, I live in Aix en Provence and we will be going to Orcières so everything will stay at the flat. It's a nice family resort that is only 2h15 from our house. We already have their helmets. I have a couple of vouchers for Intersport. I will look into the boot rentals closer to the season.

@doddsie, Thanks, I will get those then. One less thing to worry about... I am hoping she will be happy to have hand me downs. My children are quite big for their ages but then their father and I are pretty tall. My eldest needs to master skiing a bit more and she really doesn't have the strength to get herself off her butt on a slope on a snowboard. We have practised in the garden.

I really do need to look for a bag that will hold all sorts and a foldable ski pole that I will have to use to pull the rugrats along with. The list is endless.
ski holidays
@snoway., buying might be better/cheaper given your location but there won't be much in it compared to the cost of a pass. You probably can't rent anything for less than 20 euro so I would buy them and see how it goes.

My rugrats are 18 and 16 now. No more piggybacks Happy
snow report
When did it become allowable for snowboarders to reproduce?
ski holidays
snoway. wrote:
@Themasterpiece, thanks, I will have a look for those. I can get K2 luv bugs with bindings in 112 and 124 from a friend for 20€ each. They were used for 2 days last year and she bought them new. Or are they too small? I just found some Indy's online for 50€.

I'd go for those then
ski holidays
Thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it.
snow conditions
Hi @snoway., welcome to SH,

My eldest started snowboarding a bit this year at 7, I've never bought into the whole 'you must be x years old to snowboard' There are plenty who start younger and our 5yo had a go at the same time - he didn't quite take to it like his brother did but thats more to do with him not his age, and he loved every minute of it.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Hi @snoway., welcome to SH,

My eldest started snowboarding a bit this year at 7, I've never bought into the whole 'you must be x years old to snowboard' There are plenty who start younger and our 5yo had a go at the same time - he didn't quite take to it like his brother did but thats more to do with him not his age, and he loved every minute of it.

I believe in the technical minimum around the age of 3 or 4 because of the way the skeleton and being able to be "stacked" develops but above that shouldn't be a probem.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, thanks. It's more a case of I want her to get good at one thing before she starts another. Perhaps in the middle of this season I will stick her in some boarding lessons. She is also not very strong. The afterwards she can choose what she wants to do.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snoway., Thats the best way - wait until they want to do it, and half the jobs done.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I have her working on it, my friend who is a british instructor said to let her wait until next season. He felt that physically she would struggle. I'm working on getting them to the dark side snowHead
snow conditions
For me doing both is the way to go.
snow report
I will be having some Juvy 129's up for sale soon but perhaps the shipping to France will kill the option.
snow report
@Layne, not if you take a ski trip and bring them with you NehNeh
snow report
snoway. wrote:
I'm working on getting them to the dark side snowHead

I love seeing kids on the tiny boards.

Layne wrote:

Me too, the best of both worlds. Icy/hard pack days on skis, powder days on a board.
latest report
@snoway., learn to ski with the kids. Its no biggy for a boarder to learn to ski, and the "shared experience" will be good for all of you. And once you know how boring skiing is, you understand why skiers feel the need to jeer at anyone who enjoys themselves more.

30 days on the snow: you are completely spoiling those kids!

Quote:

visions of walking up the hill from the ski school with a 1 year old on my shoulders a backpack full of helmets and ski boots carrying the 3 year old and 2 pairs of skis while the 4 and a half year old trudged alongside me whining the whole way.

Unfortunately, you WILL live that vision. Strangely, after a few years (when they become grumpy students) it becomes a HAPPY memory Toofy Grin

Sounds like you will have great fun, take good care.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
Layne wrote:

Me too, the best of both worlds. Icy/hard pack days on skis, powder days on a board.

Just to be clear I was talking about the kids.

I''ve never boarded because I am too lazy, old, comfortable (delete as appropriate). But my lad started skiing at 4, then started boarding a bit at 7 iirc and he now probably boards 25% of the time and skis 75%. He prefers to ski when the conditions aren't great - which the last couple of years has been quite a lot. He is now 12. His sister (10) hasn't really boarded much yet - though she's been given the opportunity.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy