Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Venice - Arabba

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at renting a car for the BB. Any idea how long it takes to drive from Venice Marco Polo to Arabba?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3 to 3 and and a half hours. You can go via alleged or Val we zoldo. Both offer half a days skiing at Civetta end route Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jillym wrote:
Looking at renting a car for the BB. Any idea how long it takes to drive from Venice Marco Polo to Arabba?

What day are you going? If you are able to travel on Friday and back on Sunday you get the two extra Saturdays. Because Saturday is transfer day the slopes are not busy.

Also make sure the car has full winter tyres not a car with M+S otherwise you will need chains.

If you book a car of known model then it will be better to get chains at home then travel with them in hold luggage. That way you will know that they will fit.

I've seen a few people that were handing over the car complaining the chains don't fit.

Or try them before leaving the garage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They have to offer chains by law in Venetio. They will try to charge you, but if you point it out to them and say you're not paying, they will leave them in the car.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wouldn't recommend taking chains from UK. You can never be sure of what model car you get - whatever your reservation says. Neither would I even consider that route without chains. Having driven to Arabba in heavy snow I would not have coped without chains as well as good snow tyres. And a damn big shovel - not so easy when you're renting, of course.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
They have to offer chains by law in Venetio. They will try to charge you, but if you point it out to them and say you're not paying, they will leave them in the car.

Yep but you need to make sure they fit and are not just a set of chains for a smaller or larger diameter.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Wouldn't recommend taking chains from UK. You can never be sure of what model car you get - whatever your reservation says. Neither would I even consider that route without chains. Having driven to Arabba in heavy snow I would not have coped without chains as well as good snow tyres. And a damn big shovel - not so easy when you're renting, of course.

Yep why I said known model. However I would always recommend chains as essential and not just desirable .

Just make sure they fit before leaving the car hire
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GlasgowCyclops, How do you get a known model? Personally I wouldn't have the weight allowance to carry snowchains in my hold luggage. I would also think that even if I knew the model I wouldn't know the wheel size
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like I say, the car will come with chains. Its the law. It was brought in there two years ago.

https://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/reservation/reviewmodifycancel/templates/rentalTerms.jsp?KEYWORD=CHAINS&EOAG=FCO
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cameronphillips2000, that's the answer...but check they fit before leaving as others have said

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 15-10-17 14:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Too true. And it's worth getting the hang of them in a sheltered spot.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe i drive fast but as i recall it's closer to 2-2.5 hrs 😉
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
essex wrote:
Maybe i drive fast but as i recall it's closer to 2-2.5 hrs 😉

Sounds about right - IIRC the coach was about 3 hrs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If its a diesel get fuel additive in the tank asap. Many years I hired from Venice - no winter fuel in it and 3 days later car engine frozen never to respond again. Car had to be towed and we had to get a taxi back to airport and the inevitable wrangle with the hire company
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, I usually stop in Belluno for supplies so probably 2 and a half
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, How do you get a known model? Personally I wouldn't have the weight allowance to carry snowchains in my hold luggage. I would also think that even if I knew the model I wouldn't know the wheel size

Every time I've booked a car I got the model on the picture. I guess I am just lucky.
ski holidays
Quote:

Every time I've booked a car I got the model on the picture. I guess I am just lucky.

That never seems to work for me. The last time I even booked a 'Get this specific vehicle' offer but when I went to collect it I was told "sorry we don't have any of those. How about a .... instead."
snow conditions
I don't think I've ever had exactly what i booked. Even when I ordered an estate car to carry a wheel chair.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Neither would I even consider that route without chains. Having driven to Arabba in heavy snow I would not have coped without chains as well as good snow tyres. And a damn big shovel - not so easy when you're renting, of course.

Ever hopeful Pam! Most years you could get there in a Lambo with slicks.
snow report
Quote:

Ever hopeful Pam! Most years you could get there in a Lambo with slicks.

Probably true. But whatever you do, don't think the same for going over the Compolongo Pass from Arraba to Corvara. That can be scary, even with winter tyres and no fresh snow.
snow report
When I drove to Arabba the first time Campolongo was the only passable pass. Officially closed....but the policeman let me through as i was well equipped. Huge vertical walls of snow each side of the road. Quite scary. It was closed entirely at dusk - Arabba was cut off fir several days.

Granted conditions were exceptional but.... Driving those passes without chains is a risk. If police tell you to put chains on it's no use pointing proudly to your snow tyres.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy