Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
@boredsurfin, thanks, we were still way toonlate. Don’t think we left GVA until gone 8pm.

@FastCarver74, funslope is cool but pretty tracked and bumpy by the end of the day. Did it on Sunday and it was running really fast Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
essexskier wrote:
thanks for the advice and definitely worthwhile tip there re seasonings and stuff. you never know what things that you consider supermarket basics are completely unavailable when you go abroad. i remember being v surprised at the zero spices for sale when we went to livigno which was a bit of a problem as i had promised to cook curry for 8 people that evening!

so things like minced beef should be reasonably available?

I'm up and down to the valley all the time, so if you want to PM a shopping list of heavier stuff, I'm happy to get it in Leclerc or SuperU and meet up to hand it over to you??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chaletgirl wrote:
essexskier wrote:
thanks for the advice and definitely worthwhile tip there re seasonings and stuff. you never know what things that you consider supermarket basics are completely unavailable when you go abroad. i remember being v surprised at the zero spices for sale when we went to livigno which was a bit of a problem as i had promised to cook curry for 8 people that evening!

so things like minced beef should be reasonably available?

I'm up and down to the valley all the time, so if you want to PM a shopping list of heavier stuff, I'm happy to get it in Leclerc or SuperU and meet up to hand it over to you??

that's so kind of you! i think we'll be fine but really appreciate the offer will give you a shout if we get stuck, thanks again Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had a fantastic time today, so easy to lovely soft snow, just a shame that vis dropped at times. I’m still finding my feet when skiing deep snow so was really good to play around in the fresh that was on the piste, then a little bit of side piste. Might actually have been my best day skiing out of about 55 days.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're there in a couple of weeks - Staying about half way down the Bergerie lift on the left as you go down.

Can't wait.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wednesday and Thursday look grim, it’s been raining for hour at 2000m and I hear no links will run between resorts today so we will be restricted to our own areas and tomorrow they are expecting to lock things down, with the road closing and lifts closed all day - what a bummer after some truly outstanding conditions yesterday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AsterixTG wrote:
We're there in a couple of weeks - Staying about half way down the Bergerie lift on the left as you go down.

Can't wait.

In that new block that's been built over the past couple of years ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Such a comedown to be stuck inside today. Raining outside and the only things running this side are the Belle Plagne Gondola and some magic carpets. Seems to be fairly similar in other areas judging by the Yuge app.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ukredsox wrote:
AsterixTG wrote:

Can't wait.

No, it's a row of chalets, proper ski in/ski out.

Stayed there a few years back - got the deal through them on here then. It was brilliant. Ice & Fire.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know where you mean now. I think that a couple of those chalets used to be operated by Silverski a few years back.

The names look familiar and I remember the coach dropping people off at the top of the access slope
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
@thunderer, Yep is still undergoing Homologation..... Running empty all day long

In a repeat of last year "its going to be ready for the Christmas New Year Holidays, I guess next it will be ready for the February / Easter Holidays, delete as appropriate!

Ominously the top station has got an all terrain forklift parked under it

But it does work we went up on it in the summer... Shocked

Could be the 15th according to http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@thunderer, Yes but same ref also says the bottom station needs re-building!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We’re heading to Belle Plagne this weekend and I don’t know what to make of the forecast. Should I be getting excited or miserable? Is it still possible to ski in moderate snow.

I’ve booked some skiing lessons on the Sunday and Tuesday and they are non refundable if cancelled due to weather. Should I go ahead and confirm or wait for a couple more days before paying? Thanks for your help! Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
karen_globalhelpswap, forecasts are all over the place. What will happen in 4 days (Sunday) or 6 days (Tuesday) is anybody'e guess.
Belle Plagne is high enough for most of recent precipitation to be snow rather than rain.
Fingers crossed and hope for the best snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/azxoVRTwlNg
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@karen_globalhelpswap, Keep an eye on the local Meteo forecast it is reasonably accurate 48 hours ahead and very accurate 24 hours ahead
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
ski holidays
@karen_globalhelpswap, It should be fantastic by Sunday, not moderate

Be excited and cancel nothing except your fears.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
@karen_globalhelpswap, It should be fantastic by Sunday, not moderate

Be excited and cancel nothing except your fears.

Excellent advice.
ski holidays
Left Montalbert at 3.00am after clearing 4 inches of snow off the hire car drove with socks on all the way to Moutier! Had to pause in Aime to let 3 yes 3 snowploughs sort themselves out, they seemed a bit surprised to see us!
Albertville the falling snow turned to rain. Went through French security in GVA (had a Fr hire car) 10 min delay due to ATC.
I guess had we left any later things would have been very different!!

Back to Monty in 16 days snowHead
ski holidays
boredsurfin, and we're back in 15 days - hope to see you then.
Safe journey home.

That weather forecast of your don't look so good: rain all day, turning to snow at midnight.
Looks pretty miserable from the webcams.
I bet you don't feel so bad about leaving today . . .
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Yep, had I driven over we would probably come back to the UK a couple of days ago..... Back in Sunny Soton now.
snow conditions
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Seems like this week hasn't been that great. Let's hope things get better next week.FIngers and toes crossed
ski holidays
@karen_globalhelpswap, half of this week has been fantastic, probably the best conditions I’ve skied...the last two days have sucked and probably the worst days I’ve had. Plenty of snow though and they’re doing well controlling it, only problem will be if the freezing level stays high.
ski holidays
karen_globalhelpswap wrote:
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Seems like this week hasn't been that great. Let's hope things get better next week.FIngers and toes crossed

+1 to crossing everything. I'm opting for cherry picking the weather forecast at the moment Laughing
snow report
Russeh ha new too - I keep looking until I find one I like!
ski holidays
Do any La Plagne regulars know what has happened to La Grolle restaurant in Plagne Centre?

I used to love this place and was my most regular stop for lunch when ski hosting for guests. They did an amazing Omlette savoyade and I always ate for free when taking guests in.

I was really looking forward to revisiting for lunch one day next week, but it seems the place has gone. Colorado webcam shows a restaurant called La Vache Rouge. Is this the same restaurant renamed, or is it very different now?
latest report
Came over yesterday , and got stranded in Aime as Belle Plagne was cut off on Thurs evening, only got up this morning once the cleared the avalanche
snow conditions
Well, the webcams his morning suggest a rather lovely start to the day, after the awesome storms, but the Fornelet webcam clearly shows the rivulets from pouring rain.
Not so good for the poor guys leaving today who've paid top dollar for New Year Week and got monsoon rain and hurricane winds (and now see a day promising good skiing), but at least the journey home should be smooth.
ski holidays
Anyone out there who can confirm what damage the rain has done to the pistes? Are they horrible or just a bit 'spring like' at the moment? 1st days skiing 2 weeks today!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saw on Twitter that the Prefecture were expecting 56,000 vehicles in the valley today - using a system built for 20,000! Sounds a bit like Road or Rail in the UK!!
latest report
AsterixTG wrote:
ukredsox wrote:
AsterixTG wrote:

Can't wait.

No, it's a row of chalets, proper ski in/ski out.

Stayed there a few years back - got the deal through them on here then. It was brilliant. Ice & Fire.

@AsterixTG, Chalet Bon Vie by any chance?
snow conditions
After all the poor weather the sun finally came out today!

There really is a lot of snow around still. The only problem is that most of it has turned into a very hard crust and is only slowly turning into spring like conditions to ski off piste.

Today we did a fast tour of La Plagne as well as most of the Les Arcs stations.

After passing through Arc 1600, Arc 2000 bowl and Peisey Valandry we crossed the Vanoise Express and headed over to Belle Plagne for the first time since the storm passed.

We made it to Les Coches, the top of the Roche de Mio, Champagny Village, Plagne Centre, Montalbert, Bellecote La Plagne and back to the Vanoise Express. Finally heading down to Arc 1800 and home via a nice forest trail above the new Club Med in the Mont Blanc forest.

Everywhere we went on piste the conditions were firm with a nice layer of softer snow on top during the morning. On the return journey the pistes started to become much more icy. The off piste was very mixed. We managed to find some nice spring snow in a few places, but most of the snow had a hard crust on top which we had to be ski very carefully.

Overall today was another fun ski with some interesting challenges.

Photos from today have been posted in the January 2018 Album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Take a look at the conditions today. They were very interesting!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

The new Restaurant above Montalbert is an interesting building. It has been named the Mirror House (take a look at the photos)! It was a pity the Envers lift on the Montalbert side is still not running, but at least the moving floor back up from the new Crozat Chair is open. It was very icy on the way back to the Vanoise Express today, but at least as it was changeover day we did not have many queues on either side of the Paradiski area.
latest report
Lost piste question :

Years ago I'm convinced you could ski from the top of Funiplagne back to Belle plagne via petite rochette and Ours. Now this doesn't seem possible with tramping up the hill to the top of col de forcle, or cutting across a lot of off piste.

Am I going mad. Did this used to be possible fully on-piste, and if so why did they remove it ?
ski holidays
Old piste maps

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/CollectionPlansPistes.htm
ski holidays
ukredsox, wonderful! Piste maps going back to the 60s with just "La Plagne" and no Belle Plagne or Bellecote or 2000.
Brilliant.

eblunt, you know, I vaguely think you are right. I also thought it was so once, but then when I couldn't find the route these last few years thought it must be the Dementia setting in.
Certainly those old maps suggest it was possible.
ski holidays
@Jonpim, I've looked through, they don't really help much - piste maps can be very misleading. Difficult to say whether it goes up or downhill near the top of col de forcle.

I'm pretty much certain it used to exist, just at a loss as to how a piste can "disappear"
ski holidays
@eblunt, There was a piste under the top end of the Blanchette chair that disappeared a few years ago. There was also a piste for just one season under the Adrets chairlift. There is also a facile piste made in times of good snow alongside the Piste Levasset

Also on Perso there is the history or, I guess, a track record of each piste including nine deleted pistes.
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.perso-laplagne.fr/Pistes.htm&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=windows-1252
latest report
I thought it did that when I first went in 2014...but current piste map looks the same in that area.
snow conditions
I think you can ski from the Funiplagne to Belle Plagne via the snow park. There a little up hill section to get to the top of the snow park. Our son showed us this the Christmas before last as they'd done it in their lessons.
snow report
@MelH, I'd be fascinated to know how ....

FYI it's certainly dropping a decent amount of snow here at BP. My unofficial snow gauge says 20cms already and it's -1 outside. Just what was needed Very Happy
ski holidays
@eblunt, Can you not just sidestep up to Ours (top of the Col de Forcle draglift) from the end of la Petite Rochette (where it splits to the Geisha piste).

Dumping down with snow in Champagny for the last 3 hours so should be plenty around higher up tomorrow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy