Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

October Half Term- Short trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am thinking of a quick 3/4/5 day trip, probably Wednesday to Sat/Sun in October.

Although a bit risky given the current situation I can see that Ryanair are still doing pretty cheap flights to Salzberg for the Wednesday to Sunday.

If I was to take those up where would be a good place to go for:

A 3.5 year old (has been on skis before, but just walking around to get used to them/me pulling her along), for her first 'proper' lessons
    A beginner skier (wouldn't touch anything more than simple blues), may get 1 or 2 private lessons
    Me, but I'm easy, I'm perfectly happy to stick to beginner slopes for the first run out of the season, have a lesson or two myself or just go off on my own so depends on what my wife/daughter prefer really!

Ideally as short a transfer as possible as with a little one it just gets painful after about 90 minutes in a car!!!

Oh and it doesn't have to be Salzberg or anywhere in particular, that just seemed to be the best priced option for the dates we could do flying from Stansted.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forget the flights and idea of a mountain and go to Landgraaf. Guaranteed snow, easy drive, cheap accommodation, and probably more skiing than a flaky glacier in October
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@vjmehra, at that time of year only the glaciers will be open - and not fully open. I skied Stubai last week and it was actually very good, and they (and the others) will be opening more terrain in the next weeks; there's already way more open terrain than a snow dome like above.

However I'm still not sure it would really be ideal for you.

Maybe it would be ok for a long weekend, but 5 days would be really pushing the amount of terrain that's likely to be open and suitable for you. Plus a 3.5 year old on a glacier... I think they'd find the altitude very tiring, and if a storm comes in (which it could well do for several days) they'd be utterly miserable.

Can you not go later in the season? Even early Dec would open up a lot more possibilities.

If you're determined though, best options would be Kitzsteinhorn from Salzburg or Stubai or Hintertux from Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its more of a 'nice to have' than essential, have never been that early before...but its the first time we've had to worry about school holidays, which now makes things trickier!

If October is just too soon then we have plenty more options...well assuming Ryanair sort themselves out!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@vjmehra, October glacier skiing can be pretty good - but I think you have to be fairly dedicated to make the most of it.

But if it's not at the expense of another trip later, you could look at somewhere like the Sport Hotel in Neustift (near Stubai). Swimming pool and spa facilities would help keep the trip fun if wife/daughter don't want to ski all day or get bored/cold/weather is miserable, and they run private minibus shuttles up to the glacier and back.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@vjmehra, Don't forget that only 1-2% of Ryanair flights are being cancelled. That's a tiny proportion.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

October glacier skiing can be pretty good - but I think you have to be fairly dedicated to make the most of it.

I've only experienced Tignes and L2A but both offered pretty unfriendly environment for beginners, especially tiny ones - all T bars, for a start. And I didn't see any beginners having lessons. Lots of extremely impressive and aggressive mini-racers though....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are still considering an October trip there is good snow forecast across most of the Austrian glaciers this weekend. Not sure what flight prices are last minute but worth a look! When going to Austria I nearly always fly into Munich as it's cheaper than Salzburg/Innsbruck and easy to transfer by train or car.
My daughter started skiing at 21mths and picked it up pretty quick, probably so she could keep up with her older brothers rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy