Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing a ski bag

Poster: A snowHead
I know questions have been asked before about packing a ski bag, but this one is slightly different.

I've bought a 190cm Dankine Fall Line double wheeled ski bag. My skis are only 160cm, but I bought the max length bag as I'm going to put all my clothes in it as well and will not be taking a holdall. I am only putting one pair of skis in the bag. I'm carrying my boots as hand luggage.

I've read posts where people say the baggage handlers throw the ski bags around and it is not unknown for damage to occur.

What is the best way to lay the skis, to reduce the likelihood of damage? On their bases side by side with the bases at the bottom of the bag and the clothes etc on top; which will mean the pressure will be against the natural camber?. Or pack them face to face, like when you carry them, and lay them to one side of the bag? Or, lay them on their edges at either side of the bag and fill in the middle with clothes etc?

Sorry if it seems a daft question, but it's all new to me and the last thing I want is to get to the MyashBash and find my only pair of skis is damaged.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Something like this:

http://youtube.com/v/tarMtUAqrKo

I personally will not pack my outerwear/goretex stuff with my skis to prevent possible cuts/damage.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Spoon, I've seen this thanks. He packs two pairs of skis. One pair seem to be lying flat, the second pair he puts on their edges. My question is; as I only have one pair, which way is best to lay them to avoid damage.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Awdbugga, I don't know the answer as I don't use a coffin bag, but there are threads about this - have you done a search?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=122787
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=87638
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I cant believe o have just watched a video on how to pack a ski bag..... i need to get a life!!!

I usually go flat, remember to jam your brakes up so they dont dig into the bottom of your bag (my bindings are quiver killer'd on so i remove my bindings completely). I also place my boots at the bottom beside the wheels on top of my skis.

I have never had damage to my skis.... but i have been through a few bags. Currently on a thule ski bag, time well tell if it lasts longer than the predecessors!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've always assumed that the bag is designed for them to lay flat (hence the reinforced bit and the flap to cover the skis. I generally pack some clothes under, around and over them, plus chuck in a backpack and coats etc. they've been fine on trips so far. Another thing you could do is get some pipe lagging (or similar) to put on the edges of the skis. Don't do that myself though and can't recall seeing anyone that did.

A decent elastic band can be used to hold the brakes up, or cut up an old bicycle inner tube.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SnoodlesMcFlude, thanks. I'll try laying them flat. I have some lengths of pipe lagging for the edges. I use it for putting on my roof rack bars when I'm carrying my Kayak. I'll fastent he brakes up with elastic band, as you suggest. Just need the TBC to be removed from MyashBash now. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Awdbugga, I wouldn’t worry about the skis. Consider what they are designed to do.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skis should be fine laid flat, as long as you manage to get enough other stuff in to fill the bag. But if you're going to put all your kit in, then watch the total weight. You could easily reach the max' allowance in a bag that big and have to pay excess charges. I think my Dakine 190cm is 5-6kg on it's own. I've ended up using bubble-wrapp to pad it out before. I'd test pack it just to see how much space you have and what it weighs so you have an idea... It's also worth checking that when full you can actually manage to hump it around; I know it's got wheels but you still need to be able to lift for things like getting in/out of cars/coaches (does it fit in your car?), onto scales at airport and up stairs, etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@Awdbugga, I wouldn’t worry about the skis. Consider what they are designed to do.

+1

I chuck mine in and chuck other stuff around them, no issues. They're designed to be chucked down a huge lump of rock, ice and snow; being chucked into a plane isn't going to hurt them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+2, but the only consideration is that the edges are sharp and might damage the bag or anything else in it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I generally am far more worried about my poles getting bent than my skis being damaged!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
160cm skis in a 190cm+ lenght bag may incur bag fold at the ski tips and end in bag sag and drag.

Best if packed with the short skis forward with heavy or more solid items packed between wheels and skis so the skis don't slide rearward.

I just saw a cheap light 160cm double on Ski Bartletts site at £44 probably not padded but if using pipe insulation its going to be a kg or two lighter .
Might be bartletts own brand .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorted. Just had a trial packing. Loads of room for all my clothes and helmet and plenty of bubble wrap where needed. Gloves, socks, hats and goggles fit easily into by boot bag, which is going as hand luggage. I keep my poles in an old fishing rod holder. I unscrew the round bits off the bottom. The poles are laying in between the skis, so shouldn't get bent. Surprising how much room there is in there and because by boots aren't in there, it's not that heavy. Happy days. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tirol 164 wrote:
160cm skis in a 190cm+ lenght bag may incur bag fold at the ski tips and end in bag sag and drag.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, I've been in more than one transfer mini bus where the bendability of the end of my ski bag was of significant utility. Smile
ski holidays
musher wrote:
+2, but the only consideration is that the edges are sharp and might damage the bag or anything else in it.

I have damaged things with my edges, so for storage and transit I wrap mine in a beach towel.

Also means on the return trip that if you ski the day and leave in the evening, any moisture left on the skis goes in the towel.
ski holidays
Awdbugga wrote:
plenty of bubble wrap where needed.

Bubble wrap?? Just pack it in with more clothes.

Quote:
I unscrew the round bits off the bottom.

Baskets.
latest report
@dp, why pack it with more clothes that I don't need? I can get all my clothes in and use ultra lightweight bubble wrap where needed for some added protection.

"Baskets" - aye, them as well. rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Awdbugga, bubble wrap is fine. I suspect @dp, is just a bit confused by your issue as, being such a fashionista, he has trouble getting all his outfits in his bag.
snow conditions
I normally pack my c.180 cm skis in a really cheap single ski bag and place that bag inside the Dakine Fall line bag before throwing my clothes (organised in plastic bags), rucksack, avi kit, and washbag in around it for padding. Boots, helmet, goggles and transceiver go hand luggage in a boot bag. In all my years of travel never had an issue other than sag when dragging it around - skis and bindings are tough. Having them in a separate bag inside the bigger bag means no cuts to goretex kit form edges and can pack them fairly wet when leaving the slopes on Sunday afternoon to fly home (I always pack a small towel to try to dry them down).
snow conditions
@adithorp, ah, that explains it. A "fashionista", I am not; although I am partial to bright orange. Reckon I may have been a Dutchman in a former life. wink
ski holidays
@Awdbugga, probably wouldn't put your helmet in there. Skis are fine with being chucked about; helmets not so much. Put it in your hand luggage.
snow report
If you do use bubble wrap, try and make sure the skis are as dry as possible before packing on return, and remove them from the bubble wrap as soon as you get home, otherwise you may end up with rusty edges.
snow report
@Tubaski, I'm anal about cleaning things. My kids used to tease me that I spent more time polishing my motorbike than riding it. I always dry off my skis after use. I also dry out the bag as well with kitchen towel and make sure it's completely dry before putting the skis back in. I'm lucky because my skis and boots are kept in a spare bedroom in the warm and dry. No way on God's earth I would store them in my garage.
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
I normally pack my c.180 cm skis in a really cheap single ski bag and place that bag inside the Dakine Fall line bag before throwing my clothes (organised in plastic bags), rucksack, avi kit, and washbag in around it for padding. Boots, helmet, goggles and transceiver go hand luggage in a boot bag. In all my years of travel never had an issue other than sag when dragging it around - skis and bindings are tough. Having them in a separate bag inside the bigger bag means no cuts to goretex kit form edges and can pack them fairly wet when leaving the slopes on Sunday afternoon to fly home (I always pack a small towel to try to dry them down).

@Awdbugga, further to my previous post... found a single padded ski bag with compression straps on Amazon for £22 that will easily fit into the Dakine. I think this is better than bubble wrap as reusable year on year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trespass-Fugitize-Multi-Ski-Bag/dp/B000YGKOG0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506937198&sr=8-2&keywords=ski+bag&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
@Ozboy, I have another non padded bag for single skis; which I use for taking them to and from the Chillfactore. It fits in the Dakine ok, but I've found that laying them flat in the Dakine with some bubble wrap and pipe insulation along the edges leaves me more room for my clothes. Thanks for your help though.
snow report
Can manage two sets of skis in the Dakine just! Lying flat. I use pipe lagging but I find using cut plastic bottles on the ends great for stopping the skis cut through the bag (been there).

Consider getting them to the airport if two sets in a Dakine 190m. Just about fitted inside my Nissan X-Trail. On the search for a new car and this is a consideration. Some Taxi drivers may not take (ask for an estate when booking).

You are in hernia territory particularly when weaving through Geneva Airport on a Saturday on lifting up stairs in a small chalet.

Do not worry about breaking the skis in transport. It is them breaking you/your other kit.

Oh hail to the Snowhead who practices packing his ski bag in September Shocked
latest report
@hawkesbaynz, one way to assist with packing in a car is to take the skis out and put them down the centre, then fold the bag and put it in the boot. Obviously depends on how much other stuff you have and how many people there are. My 190 fitted in a Ford Fiesta with 3 of us without hassle though. And if you're only driving yourself to the airport then there are probably very few cars that you couldn't get a 190 Fall Line in, maybe a Smart car would be a squeeze.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hawkesbaynz, @SnoodlesMcFlude, the 190 Fall Line fits in my car OK. One section of the back seat down and through from the boot. I know it's sad practicing a pack this early. What's even sadder is I regularly watch @SnoodlesMcFlude, 's videos of the 2016 and 2017 Livigno trips. I reckon I must know most of the runs off by heart by now. If admin switches MyashBash to anywhere else I'll be booggered. . Puzzled Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Awdbugga, I'm glad someone other than me is watching them!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with testing kit before time. I bought goggles in May last year and don't mind admitting that I stood in front of the bathroom mirror wearing them and a helmet to 'check fit' Very Happy
snow conditions
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I must congratulate you on your choice of music for your videos. Some very cool vibes. I notice you seem to like electronic music. If you've never heard them before, may I suggest you check out Tangerine Dream. They're a German band who've been around since the late 60's/early70's. They've released well over fifty albums. Lots of their music would make great backing tracks for skiing videos. You may like them; although their very early stuff is best listened to in a dark room on headphones, after a good bottle of red. Shocked
ski holidays
@hawkesbaynz, I'll see your two pairs in a Dakine double, and raise you to four Toofy Grin Granted, I need an extra bag for clothes at that point, and some of the bindings come off.
snow conditions
Always face to face. 30 years of airport abuse and no damage yet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy