Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY split board project

Poster: A snowHead
I've been scouring eBay for an appropriate board for a DIY splitboard project for a few weeks now. I'm currently looking at this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222652458752
Although he states it's over 5 years old I'm suspecting it's between 10-15 years old, but it's a stiff as hell boarder-X board...ideal for cutting in half and retaining stiffness?
Although the board is cheap (I'd hope to offer £50 and get it) the DIY fittings kit is around £150 which once fitted doesn't easily come apart to use again on another board, so I'd like to get it right first time.

So any suggestions? Budgeting £200 for board and DIY kit plus another £100 for some form of bindings.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll be very interested in following this. I have an old stiff Nitro Supra Team which I was thinking of splitting. I'm not sure that the economics quite works though for me, you have to add skins to your budget and so it all becomes quite an expensive project for a 2 week a year snowboarder!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Which split kit are you looking at?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ummm didn't Palmers have a honeycomb core or at least in tip n tail. Like a foam core wouldn't think they'd be great to bandsaw you want boring old wood core.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Which split kit are you looking at?

The voile kit, main reason is that I'm getting the impression that in the short term I can just use regular bindings whilst it gets tested out on local hills before I shell out another £100-£200 on split specific bindings.

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Voile-Split+Kit+DIY-225852/?varid=301267637&gclid=CjwKCAjwu7LOBRBZEiwAQtfbGAZB6YgVSxuLiuI9z8Gqy3ghkbtDT0jSryKAXb3ZkoSlFiiVV7NVOBoCAGsQAvD_BwE&adword=Google%2FUK%2FPRODUKTERWEITERUNG%2FVoil%C3%A9%2F301267637&_$ja=tsid%3A46445&cr=GBP
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Ummm didn't Palmers have a honeycomb core or at least in tip n tail. Like a foam core wouldn't think they'd be great to bandsaw you want boring old wood core.

Yep, it is only tip and tail on this board though. Deep down I realised that it probably wasn't suitable but anything I see which I think is perfect is either out of my budget...

...or a Burton. Now I'm presuming because of Burton's unique mounting system for bindings being set along the centre of a board I'm not going to be able to cut it in half? Likewise with the older diamond mounting pattern? Shame cause a Burton Custom went for £60 the other day!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got an old Burton Triumph that I was toying with the idea of splitting. Its got the diamond pattern holes too, but seeing you're going to be cutting the centre line anyway it probably wouldn't be an issue to remove the centre line inserts or just cut through them with a grinder.

Having a quick look of tat-bazaar and theres a Ride Yukon going for pocketchange - its a big stick at 168 but you could sell the flow bindings on again for the same as you'd pay for the board most likely.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yukon-Snowboard/172877398146?hash=item28404bc082%3Ag%3AvgQAAOSwAFBZrRFw
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
I've got an old Burton Triumph that I was toying with the idea of splitting. Its got the diamond pattern holes too, but seeing you're going to be cutting the centre line anyway it probably wouldn't be an issue to remove the centre line inserts or just cut through them with a grinder.

I guess you could but I'm nervous enough about cutting it in one go!

Richard_Sideways wrote:
Having a quick look of tat-bazaar and theres a Ride Yukon going for pocketchange - its a big stick at 168 but you could sell the flow bindings on again for the same as you'd pay for the board most likely.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yukon-Snowboard/172877398146?hash=item28404bc082%3Ag%3AvgQAAOSwAFBZrRFw

Yeah, an ideal board. At that price it's just worth the practice of cutting a board in half. However 168 is just on the long side (I'd still hope to pop the odd 180 even though I'm on a splitboard) and it's a 3-4 hour round trip to pick it up!?!

Anyone have a possible board let me know, until then I'll keep scouring eBay!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It really doesn't work ......
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Feck someone got a deal . All time classic. Will have my at Hemel for anyone man enough.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I'd been free this weekend to go get it, i'd have stuck a cheeky bid in on it myself.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BCjohnny wrote:
It really doesn't work ......

Why?

I never mentioned this so maybe now's the time to. It would be used, should the chance arrive, predominantly in Wales in the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia and possibly a handful of trips to Scotland/Peak District. Having hiked hills in boots before, the thought of gliding across instead of sinking with each step appeals. Also not carrying the weight of the board on your back, getting blown about, would be a bonus too!

Therefore shelling out £600-£800 on a split set-up to get up grass/mud/stone covered by an inch or two of snow seems crazy...£200-£300 on a diy set-up however!?!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think a diy project is great if you have
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
manicpb wrote:
Why?

People I know have bought them with all the best intentions, but they usually get chucked at the back of the shed ..... too much faff.

One has taken his around the hotel car park to set it up etc ...... never been any further.

If you try to convert a standard board yourself you'd need to buy a stiffer board than you'd usually ride, sawing one in half affects the beam strength.

I'm not telling you not to do it, fill your boots ....... but IME they're a faddy waste of time for most people. Get some decent snow shoes and take your regular ride.

AAJMO
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BCjohnny wrote:
manicpb wrote:
Why?

People I know have bought them with all the best intentions, but they usually get chucked at the back of the shed ..... too much faff.

One has taken his around the hotel car park to set it up etc ...... never been any further.

If you try to convert a standard board yourself you'd need to buy a stiffer board than you'd usually ride, sawing one in half affects the beam strength.

I'm not telling you not to do it, fill your boots ....... but IME they're a faddy waste of time for most people. Get some decent snow shoes and take your regular ride.

AAJMO

Got to disagree, all the boarders I ski with have split boards, they all get used a lot. Some have them as their only board (terrible idea, everyone needs an expansive quiver).
latest report
midgetbiker wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:
manicpb wrote:
Why?

AAJMO

Got to disagree, all the boarders I ski with have split boards, they all get used a lot. Some have them as their only board (terrible idea, everyone needs an expansive quiver).

Tbf, I think BCJohnny is not saying don't have one...more if your going to have one get a factory made one.

I'd buy a second hand factory split but they don't seem to come up to often.
snow conditions
midgetbiker .......

People can do what they want for all I care, just expressing an informed opinion ...... I know a fair few people who have 'em, have an awful lot of dough tied up in 'em, and have either hardly ridden 'em or simply given up.

For the average tourist they're pure romance ...... for more hardcore riders who spend lots of time riding, maybe season out there and are tired of the norm then yes, they could make sense. As a percentage of UK riders I'd aver that's much less than one percent of travellers ........
snow report
Opinion sucks !

If I was going for low depths like in the Uk I wouldnt want a reactive stiff plank as even when cut the high speed design is still very very wrong .
You want a lower speed control type of design so you can run low snow depths an can slalom in between rock frozen dirt and clumps of unknown... this is not a stiff plank or BX design .
Then as you hit real low zero depths at the runs end you can run over anything.... (with highly flexed lower legs that still work that is ?) ..... generally after a hike and run legs are now very likely shot away......and if so... you need to have equipment control more so than ever .

In low depths if you go down on rock.... bone will snap like a twig or at least its never going too end well (except for perhaps the welsh nurses at the hole in the wall.)
A plank or bx design will throw you further harder and accellerate like a bullet before your bone snapping airmiles accumulation .

All this is before you get to your junk wobbly raised binder setup, no inside steel edge or "any nose lenght at all on a bx stick" to ride over uk rubble ?

If the hole in the wall is still open in cardiff you wont make it ......your going in the front door with the ambulance if using a BX stick .

BCJonny is ultimately on track where the op could take the hard road its his choice .

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 29-09-17 17:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Finish him, FINISH HIM!
ski holidays
Right, I'm tempted by a 159 JP Walker forum board. It's a soft flex which worries me a tad but at £20 plus a 2 hour round trip I'm swaying towards picking it up and deciding if it's to soft once it's in my hands. Worst case it goes back on fleabay or I cut it in half and it goes in a skip!
ski holidays
Theres a 161 Rome Anthem up too... no bids and £21
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rome-Anthem-161cm-Snowboard/172885202853?hash=item2840c2d7a5%3Ag%3AzrgAAOSwcqBZyLsF
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Theres a 161 Rome Anthem up too... no bids and £21
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rome-Anthem-161cm-Snowboard/172885202853?hash=item2840c2d7a5%3Ag%3AzrgAAOSwcqBZyLsF

Again, pretty much perfect...but I'm just north of Birmingham!
ski holidays
@manicpb, No friend in London who can pick it up? Everyone has a hipster mate who lives in Hackney, surely?
ski holidays
These Hackney Hipsters ?

Do they look like Ned Kelly in riding pants ?
snow report
Nah - they look like extras from Peaky Blinders. @manicpb, you going to either of the test days in Oct?
ski holidays
@leggyblonde, I do (well not Hackney but other less hip parts of London) but would still struggle to find time to arrange a pick up off them.

@Richard_Sideways, I'd no plans to. Are boards on offer to demo and more to the point, splitboards? Not even checked dates as I presumed it was a ski demo! Could have childcare issues as my partner works weekends but will have a closer look.
latest report
I've been trying to drum up a bit of an underground run-wot-ya-brung board test with people bringing along their spares to share.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
I've been trying to drum up a bit of an underground run-wot-ya-brung board test with people bringing along their spares to share.

Shame that's at the southern one... As far as I know I'm the only boarder at the northern test.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never tried a DIY - I'd imagine you'd miss the inside edge.

Really can't reccommend using normal bindings on riser-plates - they just feel awful. Even if you do end up sinking a fair bit of cash into some proper bindings, at least you can sell them back.
snow conditions
I split a 15 year old Burton board a couple of seasons ago and it works fine. Looks a mess having hacked through the centre inserts, but it certainly works ok, up- and downhill.

I did invest in Sparks straight away, planning to upgrade to a factory split at some point, so it wasn't really a cheap project but the old board kept the initial cost down.

I had taken up ski touring for a couple of years, but was never as good a skier as I was on the board and got sick of falling over in good snow so went for a splitty.
ski holidays
would there be any merit in splitting a monoski?
ski holidays
fraseruk wrote:

I did invest in Sparks straight away, planning to upgrade to a factory split at some point, so it wasn't really a cheap project but the old board kept the initial cost down.

I have voile pucks and a pair of old raidens. Did you upgrade to Spark Pucks plus Bindings? Any advantage of Spark Puck over Voile Puck?
ski holidays
I've only spent one day on a board (that was enough) but watched my nephew take delivery of his new split board this year, if you are going budget rock hopper, would a couple of alloy bars be cheaper than the " proper" kit that holds the halves together? Held on the board either by some threaded inserts or, considering the diy nature of the beast, would it matter if you had countersunk machine screws through the base of the board?

I would use a staight edge clamped to the board as a saw guide, even then, a jig saw will struggle to cut a straight line, a fine tooth cicular saw may be better?
ski holidays
I've not given up on this project yet and have bid on a few boards but will only pay top money for the perfect one.

I've had this in my watch list for a while and decided I definitely don't have the funds so am sharing incase any snowheads fancy it. From my research it's a cracking price and a quality board without the risks of diying it!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232500824731
snow conditions
@manicpb, I have zero idea about split boards, but I don’t understand the issue with picking the board up. Why bother? For under a tenner you can get almost anything couriered to anywhere in the U.K.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@manicpb, I have zero idea about split boards, but I don’t understand the issue with picking the board up. Why bother? For under a tenner you can get almost anything couriered to anywhere in the U.K.

It's the way eBay works. If a seller is willing to post the whole country is interested and will drunkenly bid on tat...if it states collection only anyone more than 25ish miles will usually pass on it and you grab yourself a bargain!

I've seen lib tech banana's (not appropriate for splitting but a common board pass through eBay) go for £50-£75 collection, yet the same year will fetch £150 if they post it!
snow report
manicpb wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

It's the way eBay works. If a seller is willing to post the whole country is interested and will drunkenly bid on tat...if it states collection only anyone more than 25ish miles will usually pass on it and you grab yourself a bargain!

I've seen lib tech banana's (not appropriate for splitting but a common board pass through eBay) go for £50-£75 collection, yet the same year will fetch £150 if they post it!

Fair point, but I suspect that many sellers would be happy to ‘post’ if you arrange everything and just send them the courier labels and a fiver to cover some bubble wrap etc. May be worth enquiring.
ski holidays
@shredder Not certain, but I don't think there is much difference between the pucks.

@tangowaggon it's not fixing the halves together that is the problem, hooks/clips aren't really expensive, but it's being able to swap the bindings from uphill to riding mode that is hard to do truly diy.
snow report
gotta say.

The sick and the wrong in Keswick are very knowledgable re: split kits, boards, accessories.

They have been supplying split kits and split boards for years and were early adopters. Steve is a top lad, sound solid advice in store or on the phone.

Been using them for years
ski holidays
Sorry but bored stuck on Southern Fail trying to get home from London to S Coast.

I've done the whole snow board touring thing for many a season!

Lessons learnt. Snow shoes only as good as every one else on them. That said in the hands / under foot of a fit fecker they can take a much steeper line leaving skiers in their wake!

In rotten / spring snow they are shite!!

So what next for getting up the hill with a board?

So I've been there seen it done it. Can provide photos vids to back up what i say over nigh on 20 yrs

Lessons learnt. Split boards are ok in easy terrain. And with others on a group using them. Start going into more severe technical terrain and the riders become a Feckin liability in a group.

I'm an ex snow board tourer so know the limitations. At 3500m trying to put one together in minus 20 wind chill is a real mare.

In the end I did two seasons of approach skis / snow board which was by far the best option
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy