Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Racetrack within easy reach from Geneva.

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know of a resort within 90 minutes of Geneva with a dual slalom race track that's open to the general public at weekends ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not off hand. What's it for? Many places now have single - sort of easy - slalom's sponsored by BMW with cameras, etc. though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am trying to get my eldest son interested in race training. He's 8, can carve and we have a couple of short weekends booked.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JoyZipper, not public access - would suggest you contact some ski schools, they might have a session you can join if your son meets the standard.

In Chamonix I've seen fenced off dual slalom tracks at Planards being used for training and practice.

@under a new name, for some reason I think I've seen occasional dual slalom tracks at Brevent on the blue just to the right as you go up the Parsa chair. Am I going mad?! They def have single tracks quite frequently, and the timing gates available - but always under the control of ESF, not for general use.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@fixx, Thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you thought of asking some of the ski schools? Where we have our apartment there is a zone where they set up dual slalom runs and you see kids doing instructed training on Wednesday afternoons and Weekends. It's closed the rest of the time, with the T-lift shut, so this discourages usage. There's also a FIS run where they do adult GS races, and again, you see organised training and instruction going on. I'm sure there are other places with this sort of facility but I'm thinking that if it's like ours, then access is restricted. Usually the ski schools have a good handle on this sort of activity. They may have access to such areas when as an individual you wouldn't.

We're in La Tzoumaz next to Verbier and our local ski school has a contact page at http://www.essverbier.ch/en/informations/ - it might be worth messaging them, or doing similar is there's a resort that you already use.

Ha! Found a video of this from March this year. They're using the slopes I mentioned above, which are just by the Savoleyres summit station. In the video, they have just the one run but I'm sure that normally for practices, they have two, presumably to give the students more time on piste.

http://youtube.com/v/UOvx_a3mljc

This one is over in Verbier and looks like the final race of the season:

http://youtube.com/v/4e13fvBeDkM
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@fixx, could be, I don't pay a huge amount of attention. But defo ESF or club controlled.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I am trying to get my eldest son interested in race training

I would expect it would be more fun for all to get him doing what he's already interested in...esp for weekends.

Or get him dry slope racing in the UK and see if that "takes".
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JoyZipper, Why do you want a dual slalom ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:
@JoyZipper, Why do you want a dual slalom ?

He's competitive so he will want to race me. We did this in Fiss last winter and he enjoyed it (despite missing out half of the gates to beat me !).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JoyZipper, It wouldn't really be an introduction to the sort of thing that he would be doing during race training though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Avoriaz has a free timed dual next to the half-pipe, although it's not always set, or the timing's not working etc. If it's free it's hit'n'miss whether anyone can be bothered to look after it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shep wrote:
Avoriaz has a free timed dual next to the half-pipe, although it's not always set, or the timing's not working etc. If it's free it's hit'n'miss whether anyone can be bothered to look after it.

Thanks Shep.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think there's one in Tignes

Why don't you try your local snowdome or dry slope?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timed parallel slalom on Mont-Chéry for this winter advertised by Les Gets on this link, may be of interest.
http://en.lesgets.com/organize-book/news/novelties-on-the-skiing-area-in-les-gets-on-winter-2017-2018.html
latest report
Timc wrote:
Timed parallel slalom on Mont-Chéry for this winter advertised by Les Gets on this link, may be of interest.
http://en.lesgets.com/organize-book/news/novelties-on-the-skiing-area-in-les-gets-on-winter-2017-2018.html

Thanks Tim - that sounds perfect.
latest report
Most French resorts will have a Fleche and Chamois run by the ESF. These are open entry (maybe €2/person) events, run properly with course inspection, opener setting a time, racers allocated bibs, full published results etc. Usually on a Thursday or Friday. Not dual slalom, but you will both get times, so in that sense you're racing each other.
ski holidays
@snowdave, do they really still do that? Mind you, I wouldn’t usually notice as we’re usually just up at the weekend...
ski holidays
Yes, chamonix I think are on Thursdays somewhere on brevent, argentiere on Fridays at le tour on the esf piste near stade. The kids do them when we're out, and I've had a few somewhat embarrassing goes myself.

Les houches also does them, including a fusee which is super g, and for anyone who wants to go max speed on a dedicated piste, it could be great fun.
snow report
@snowdave, really? SG? Awesome. I have SG skis and they rarely get off the leash...

Might be a working from the other home day!
latest report
yup, tho' sadly I think its only once a year in late March, from looking at the ESF race website.

Get yourself over to the Argentiere Fleche tho' and we can have a race Happy I'll enter my son on my behalf...
ski holidays
@under a new name, There are several SGs on the French Masters circuit.
ski holidays
What r u trying to say about uann @rjs, ?? Shocked wink
ski holidays
shep wrote:
What r u trying to say about uann @rjs, ??

I'm fairly sure he is older than 21.
snow report
Oh I see, well I guess he'll admit to that! Not sure I'd mastered anything at 21... Puzzled
ski holidays
@shep, not even party animalness?
latest report
I was pretty good at falling off motorbikes. And being dumped. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy