Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Welt Half Term 10-02-2018

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all and thanks for the amazing help I have had from this forum.

Last year we had some great advice and headed to Zillertal for our ski trip after going to France for many years. The cost was significantly cheaper due to tolls, lift passes and pretty much everything else and we had a great time.

This year, I am looking at Ski Welt. There isn't much accommodation available, but I have found a great looking place in Hopfgarten. I don't really have any other options as everywhere seems to be booked, but it looks like 2K to the lifts. Is this going to be a good place for the Ski Welt and also what is it going to b like in half term (10-02-2018). I am little concerned as virtually everything is booked for apartments, so will it be packed on the slopes.

French resorts we usually book like the 3 Valleys, have lots of availability.

Cheers,

P.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you looked on https://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/
I was struggling to get somewhere a decent price in Soll for a month and found 2 places on here at good prices. But they are booking up fast. Good luck
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for this. I did look through this site and although it had some availability, when you clicked through the links they were nearly all unavailable when you tried to book. I did find one, which is in Hopfgarten, very close to the lift. As we have not been to Ski Welt before, I wanted to check if this is a good location and also how busy it will be in Feb 1/2 term, (wc 10th Feb).

Cheers

P.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went to Hopfgarten last year. If you do a forum search you'll find my trip report.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pandas, I guess as it's half term it will be a busy week and gets booked up fast. Sorry I've never stayed in Hopfgarten before. In fact I'm going back to ski welt after a 25 year gap, so can't comment. But as@sugarmoma666, says search for their report may help.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's Fasching! Last year we went during Fasching and it was rammed. If you turn up at the lifts at peak time it might take an hour to get up the hill. The restaurants were also packed, but as there were a lot of children the afternoons were quiet. Often by 3.00 the slopes were empty and the off piste was mostly untouched. We had some great skiing and got the larger ski area Allstar pass covering kirchberg and Kitzbuel. I wouldn't choose to go back during Fasching, but if you do- have a car and get the first lifts, stop early for lunch and stay till the last lift. We are going back this year-but not during Fasching.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The run down to Hopfgarten and the run down to Itter are my 2 favourite runs in the whole of the SkiWelt! If you get the first lifts, it shouldn't be too busy. I have very rarely had to queue in Hopfgarten and, even when I did, it wasn't for long. However, if you leave until ski school time it will be rammed.

I think you are ideally placed for the SkiWelt as you can head along and back. Also, and people who know better can correct me if I am wrong, doesn't that road opposite Hopfgarten lead to the Ski Jewel area, which, again, I am lead to believe is always fairly quiet.

To echo BertieG, I would get the All-Star pass and head for Westondorf and the Kitzbühel area but that would be my preference as I don't enjoy the SkiWelt (I can't really put my finger on why either?!?).

Very envious of all skiers going to that area. Had last year off skiing (reasons...) and have only wangled a 2 day trip to Glenshee this year so very sad (although Glenshee should be good as it doesn't look to have changed in the 27 years since I was last there!)

Enjoy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BertieG wrote:
It's Fasching! Last year we went during Fasching and it was rammed. If you turn up at the lifts at peak time it might take an hour to get up the hill. The restaurants were also packed, but as there were a lot of children the afternoons were quiet. Often by 3.00 the slopes were empty and the off piste was mostly untouched. We had some great skiing and got the larger ski area Allstar pass covering kirchberg and Kitzbuel. I wouldn't choose to go back during Fasching, but if you do- have a car and get the first lifts, stop early for lunch and stay till the last lift. We are going back this year-but not during Fasching.

So, this is a new term for me, but I have googled 'Fasching' and it looks bonkers! As I said, virtually everything is booked for Ski Welt, but I have a place I can book in Hopfgarten. But as it is Fasching and UK 1/2 term, should I head to France instead as 3V has loads of accommodation available?

Any opinions gratefully received.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As this year Fasching coincides with UK half term and not Paris holidays I think I would choose 3V over Hopfgarten but there are plenty of places in France that would be easier on your wallet than 3V. But........maybe this is the year to try Italy? Or...... go in the Easter holidays, though not Ski Welt as it's too low.
If you do go to Hopfgarten make sure you visit the restaurant in the middle of town that does slow cooked shin of pork. Crackling heaven.
I assume you're driving to the lifts each day . It's a 10 minute drive to Westendorf and 15 to Kirchberg making it easier to cover more ground and the snow gets better as you go up the valley towards Kitzbuel. Just get there early. Car parks are free.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for this @BertieG, . We went to Austria last year as it was so much cheaper than France and had a great time at Zillertal. Judging by the apartment bookings, there are going to be a lot of people in Ski Welt, so I think that we will head back to France. We know 3V quite well and as we are driving, Italy is a little too far. If anyone has any other recommendations for France that would be good value and not too far to drive from Zeebrugge, that would be great.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just hit the Sella Ronda, it's a no brainer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
northantsred wrote:
Just hit the Sella Ronda, it's a no brainer.

Would love to, but this is 11-12 hours drive. So a bit prohibitive.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pandas, can you go at Easter instead?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gämsbock, +1, but not in Skiwelt. @pandas, a lot of Italian resorts will be busy the week you are going (or at least the first few days) because it's Carnivale.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy