Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse 2017/18 (Raise, Yad Moss, Weardale and Allenheads)

Poster: A snowHead
@Peter S, Great news, especially as I'm not at work tomorrow Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, see you tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks great but doubt we'll be able to make it tomorrow because of work... Crying or Very sad - unless we can wangle a cheeky half day.

This morning's webcams showed two people skinning up on the far side of the daylodge (sadly not me and Mrs MA!).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another great day. Almost no wind, sunny and loads of snow on the runs.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a final play on the board at Allenheads today before they close. Amazing that they've managed to keep going, still useable (if short) spring snow cover. Thanks to all who put in the time to keep that going. (And still 10+ft drifts by the sides of the road back to Cowshill!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
See Yad are saying that opening next weekend hasn't been ruled out.

Great! Fingers crossed Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
New snow next week snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yad reviewing on site today with a view to shovelling a bit of snow & opening tomorrow.... Very Happy

Looks like we could be good to go - Iift or skins? That is the question wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Lift or skins? That is the question... 
The bad news: It was skins....Lift closed - not enough snow lower down (tow track broken & runs to bottom broken - with too much work needed to piece it all together).

The good news: Conditions were excellent. Perfectly groomed spring snow (big thanks for that!!), sunny spells - and the place to ourselves. A fantastic day to be at Yad Moss Very Happy.

It was skiable to the day lodge (ie to within about 15m of the bottom of the tow) but there were a couple of big breaks in the tow track. However, apart from a 2m section of running river, Hengill Gully was skiable from the bottom of the tow to the car park, which was a great bonus. It also meant we could skin up from the car park - skis on all the way.

Just a shame the tow can't load from higher up - there is still loads of snow on at least the top 2/3 of the main run.

Pics to follow once sorted...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
With a day off work and a gloriously sunny day (12C in Stockton!) it was back up to Yad Moss today for a lovely afternoon. Conditions were every bit as good as yesterday - fast granular snow in near-tropical temperatures of 8C at car park level. It clouded over a bit but a great time had by all Very Happy.

The pics are a mix of yesterday and today.

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a chance that Yad Moss may run again on Saturday if we get the snow forecast tomorrow. As you can see from MAs pic the run is still more or less complete above P3. just need a bit of fresh to get down to the base. If not we have a Plan B to try out !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds intriguing. Plan B would have to be very cunning plan indeed. I'm all for the power of positive mental collective thinking, that'll do it, chocs away!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Plan B... You have borrowed the artificial snow machines from the Scottish resorts???
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plan B would be loading below Pylon 3.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Presume you've decided not to run, Peter, cunning plan or no? Webcams show it's pretty much all melted/washed off again, as it has here Sad
Mind you, loading part way up I might even be able to make the tow on my snowboard Laughing
ski holidays
Good fun at Yad Moss today Very Happy. After an early start, we managed a couple of hours before the rain started at 11.00.

It was skis on at the bottom to skin up Hengill Gully, which had a couple of short breaks. With my skis off I managed to go through the snow into the river at one point Confused - had just stepped back onto what I thought was a firm base. Soaked from the knees down - with my feet squelching for the remainder of the session... rolling eyes

Then a couple of breaks on the skin up (I had a shovel in my pack and patched one break ahead of the ski down wink...) but pretty decent cover on the top third of the run. With a couple of 1-5m stretches of speedy grass skiing it was possible to get to within about 20m of the daylodge - then down Hengill gully, with two bits on foot.

The snow was mainly fast and granular, with a few spots where the fresh from a couple of days ago was a bit slower. Definitely worth the trip out Very Happy.

ski holidays
Yad Moss Final Fling - Sat 14 April2018

After 2 or 3 days of downpours on the east coast and fog on the Yadcams, today dawned clear on the cams....with skiable snow visible on the top bit of the main run and also possibly on a patch near the daylodge (though the cam angle made it hard to tell...) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So off we went! Lovely soft snow; still about 1.2m of it at the top; 5 decent patches of 30-130m; part of Hengill Gully still skiable....What was not to like? wink

Top of the run:

Just above the Daylodge:

Hengill Gully:
latest report
Nice one. Should be snow around well into May this year on Cross fell. Possibly June if we get a cool May snowHead
snow conditions
^^^^But are the Cross Fell patches likely to be enough to ski? Laughing
snow report
MA probably won’t be very long!
In 1979 a friend and three companions skied the Kirkland gulley on the 2nd July. There was a centre page picture report in the Daily Mail. That followed a Helm wind snow event, like this year but there was a lot more snow falling.
Looks like the patches will take a big hit this week. Looks warm right out till early May.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy