Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse 2017/18 (Raise, Yad Moss, Weardale and Allenheads)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi grizzler, yes we were discussing that at Yad moss on Sunday. However it looks like it may have been delayed? No mention now on the county council website

http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/highways-pavements/roads/road-works/newroadworksmap.asp
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Peter. If you could please maybe keep us informed?
The signs informing drivers of the closures &diversions were certainly still in place 2 days ago both at the A69/A689 junction and at Alston bridge.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Northern Powderhouse Trip Report - 25/27 Feb 2018Very Happy

Sun 25 Feb - Yad Moss:
- Great!! Only the one main run open but a fantastic effort to be operational (with snow shovelled onto the lower tower track and lower run). Lovely weather too. Snow a bit hard but got skied into a nicer condition.

Mon 26 Feb - Ski touring at closed Raise:
- Tough day in very cold conditions with a biting wind.
- 75 min hike to the snow line from Glenridding - skinned from that point.
- Hard snow but great cover on main run.
- Skiable to just above the final descent to the mines on the way back.
- Great views.

Tues 27 Feb - Ski touring at closed Yad Moss:
- Road ok from Barnard Castle to Cumbrian border - clear to that point.
- Shocking after that - not ploughed and about 4" of snow. Glad to be on snow tyres.
- Some lovely snow - with stretches of up to a foot of Pennines champagne powder Very Happy. More crusty at the top of the hill and a bit scoured in places.
- An amazing transformation from the strip of snow two days before.

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Superb.
Just a bit worried that all the snow will now be down in Garragill !
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow! Very Happy
If only the road was passable to get there Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Re road closures - Cumbria Roadwatch Facebook page ( sorry, don't know how to post link on a tablet) just posted both the Alston bridge and also A686 Hartside resurfacing works, both scheduled 5th March. If anyone can see the road by then...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone in the Eden valley know if the Helm wind is blowing Puzzled

Penrith mountain rescue have some fun and games trying to reach Garragil I see. That'll be all the snow blown off Yad Moss.
https://www.facebook.com/PenrithMRT/photos/a.1559064850856201.1073741873.136085036487530/1559066730856013/?type=3&theater&ifg=1
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yad Moss open tomorrow but access only from the Alston side.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weardale open tomorrow - but the road is under 6ft drifts and will remain unploughed. Access will be on foot only - a 2.5mile walk (or skin) Shocked from Westgate...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Northern Powderhouse reports now extended to include North York Moors!!

Ski toured from Sheepwash near Osmotherly today. Some nice snow - although we found the slopes we had previously identified to ski a lot more gentle on skis than they are on foot/mountain bike. Good fun though and we did find some steeps (thanks to the two snowboarders we met who recommended it) - namely the Cod Beck Reservoir dam slope, even if it was a bit chopped up from sledging!

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Didn’t manage to get up myself but approx 60 skiers did. The road is currently closed from the Middleton side so access from the north only, at the moment.

The tow may run later this week subject to the weather.

Looking down from P2. Snow Fences buried under the piste basher somewhere snowHead

Full report here
http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/opening-times/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yad Moss next planned opening is this Friday. New snow falling this morning. Lots of snow on the main runs although other areas scoured. It might actually be a lot less challenging since all the bumps and hollows have now filled in Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weardale reporting today that "All 45 runs are skiable by advanced skiers."

45 runs Laughing ??

Shame Mrs MA and I couldn't get the afternoon off to check it out... rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, I think that's 44 on the piste map and then the 'advanced' route back down into West gate Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone skiing tomorrow ? Lots like it will be a cracker. I wonder weather the Yd Moss black run will be skiable Cool

Saturday starts snowy but turns a bit wet. Sunday looks drier. Next week things begin to cool down again slightly.

latest report
@Peter S, Intending on it. Prob Sunday too. Mind you, will have to bring one of those nasty ruinous boarders with me wink
snow conditions
Just back from another great day at Yad Moss with some good spring conditions. Top marks to all the volunteers.

@Peter S, I followed you with some people you seemed to be guiding into what may have been outer gully where there was some great snow, so thanks for that as I may not have found it otherwise
latest report
Brian Sun wrote:
Just back from another great day at Yad Moss with some good spring conditions. Top marks to all the volunteers.

+1 Beautiful bluebird day; all we needed were some tables and the beers Very Happy
Fingers crossed it'll hold up for 2 more days, but... Puzzled
snow report
All runs skiable and a lovely sunny day. Lots of snow but turning wet tomorrow Sad

The tow won’t run on Saturday but will run again on Sunday. snowHead
Nice to meet Brian and Grizzly again. Pleased you enjoyed the runs Brian. Run of the day for me was Hengill gulley down to the car park. Cool

Still lots of snow in Teesdale on the way home

snow report
Bit gutted about today's wet weather after wbecame watching all week. C'est last vie for UK skiing I suppose... rolling eyes

We'll be giving it a whirl tomorrow - Weardale or Yad. Fingers crossed that the downpour isn't completely devastating.... Confused

Peter S: How far up the road to St John's Chapel is the old Teesdale ski area?Oldagepredator told us that it's a pretty decent bowl that could be well filled at present. Thinking it might be worth a look but unsure of the location.

I know you posted a map previously but as it's a small section I've found it hard to locate the spot... Puzzled
snow conditions
Another good day at YM and Raise. Mountainaddict and Mrs Mountainaddict were up at Yad Moss today and so was Grizzly. The snow came through the rain fine with not too much lost.
Rumours of a second beast on the way ?!!

latest report
A second Beastie? Say it is so! From whence, kind Sir, cometh thine tip off?
ski holidays
@Grizzler, http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=72&mode=0&map=0&type=0&archive=0
snow report
Mountainaddict, the arrow locates the site of the old Teasdale tow.
http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=384092&Y=533087&A=Y&Z=115

It’s basically above the Langdon Beck hotel........., our apres ski haunt.

You can zoom in and out using the street map key.

I don’t think it has held snow well from this direction. It’s really set up for a westerly.
ski holidays
CheersPeterS

Great couple of days at Yad Very Happy:

- Yesterday: foggy but great snow for a bit of ski touring. Got rather wet on our final descent of the day in the late afternoon but still had fun
- Today: brilliant soft snow conditions & lovely warm weather.

Photos to follow once I sort them....

Unfortunately we went to Weardale this afternoon as we are members there. It was closed when we arrived at about 12.30 (I found out later that the early finish was advertised on the website... rolling eyes)

Didn't have time to skin up due to impending mothers day duties - & the cover looked poor compared to Yad anyway...

So now it's fingers crossed for some mid-March and early April snow!
ski holidays
so where is the Yad Moss Black run??
ski holidays
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

The Met Office 30 day outlook is encouraging Laughing

The yad Moss 'black' involves a bit of a traverse out from the summit and usually a bit of a walk too. It was superb on Friday. the actual black bit is really only 2 or 3 turns long but is genuinely black. Carnt say more than that snowHead
ski holidays

Great conditions at Raise. The hut face has total cover. This is from the webcam on Friday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Peter S, hmm. I've explored far and wide but not found anything close to black steepness Smile

This was my GPS track from my last trip, did I get anywhere near it??

ski holidays
Fraid not Kitenski Laughing

How far did you ski and what was your vertical, as a matter of interest ?

The Poma has a counter in the control room which measures dispensed Pomas. I meant to check how many there were on Sunday but forgot to. It might have been interesting to approximate rough uplift over the day.
ski holidays
@Peter S, ha! Well a good excuse to come back and find it then..

The track was from 10:34 AM on Wednesday, February 7, 2018, Looking at the peaks I'd say I rode the poma 18 times.

Garmin says 13.66 km Distance, 2,550 m Elevation.

The interesting thing is Garmin "pauses" when you are on lifts, and it says 58:19 Time, 2:31:07 Moving Time, 3:37:17 Elapsed Time
snow report
From the webcam it looks like we will hold on to more or less complete cover on the main run at Yad Moss out to this weekend. From Friday we should get a little more new snow. Hopefully we will be able to run at least one day this weekend as long as we can get up there and the wind isn't too fierce.

reports of yet another good day at Raise yesterday. They must be over 30 days so far this season Cool
snow conditions
No go for Yad Moss tomorrow because of the wind. We are hopeful for Sunday however. Puzzled
snow conditions
We are hoping to run on Sunday at Yad Moss but it’s looking s little wild and the roads could well be challenging. Please come prepared for full on winter driving conditions.

We are also hoping to run Yad Moss mid week on Tuesday 20th March which should be a lot less windy but still good snow. snowHead
ski holidays
@Peter S, you may benefit from a big snowfall tonight. The Pennines are modelled to get a right sideways dump, and west facing Yad Moss should collect a lot of what gets blown down to the roads elsewhere.

Looking forward to the pictures Happy

ski holidays
Hi Ross, yes We’ve been skiing at Yad Moss since the 70s because it is accessible from a high road and catches the snow in an easterly. The North Pennines are particularly exposed to North Sea showers and streamers. Up until 1991 long fetch easterlies happened every three years or so. Then they stopped.

The problem tomorrow will be getting up there. We may have to watch the snow on the webcam!

Hope you can get to Lowther. You normally get a lot more snow than us And have done again this year.
snow conditions
@Peter S, Looking like a good chance you will be running the tow at Yad Moss into April - must have been a few years since that has been possible? How late in the year have you been able to run historically?
latest report
Hi Penzanceopinion. We have to get up there and actually do some more skiing. Hopefully we will run Tuesday and Wednesday this week. The bad weather seems to have fallen on the weekend this year. I’m not sure whether it will last till April but we are hopeful And can at least now more it around with the piste basher. April Can be a winter month in the Pennines and with a northerly possible next week it would be nice to ski over Easter. 2014 was the last year we skied in April. We have skied in May but I think was 1986.
snow report

Lots and lots of snow has drifted onto the runs. The slight north of easterly has helped. it is intended to run the tomorrow Tuesday. Not certain at the moment whether the B6277 is open from the south. it should be open from the north however.
latest report
@Peter S, I think April sliding looks good for you guys, especially as it looks to stay cold (relatively) for the next week or so. Keeping my fingers cross for you. wish I didn't live 316 miles away!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy