Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gopro updated and new devices coming soon (28th Sep)

Poster: A snowHead
@silver_skier, I used the standard 3M backed sticky pad which worked for a while but did eventually pull the textured graphic off my ski so I then very carefully drilled a couple of small holes through the mount into the ski and used a couple of small screws with epoxy to stop water getting into the ski. That stayed attached to the ski fine, though I did break the plastic of the mount after one too many arguments with ice and rocks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
silver_skier wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for how I can mount a GoPro at the tip of my skis?
I also used the 3M sticky pad, but the Surfboard mount rather than the standard mount as it has a bigger surface area. The top of the ski I mounted it to was relatively flat, but not entirely. It seems to stick OK and I've used it occasionally without worrying too much that the entire mount and camera is going to fly off. However, the tip of a ski bounces and vibrates like crazy so I question whether the footage will be of much value. I mounted a GoPro there more for still photos rather than video, and from that angle you can get some dramatic shots. It doesn't work in powder though, and the lens of the camera soon gets covered in snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
silver_skier wrote:
I also used the 3M sticky pad, but the Surfboard mount rather than the standard mount as it has a bigger surface area. The top of the ski I mounted it to was relatively flat, but not entirely. It seems to stick OK and I've used it occasionally without worrying too much that the entire mount and camera is going to fly off. However, the tip of a ski bounces and vibrates like crazy so I question whether the footage will be of much value. I mounted a GoPro there more for still photos rather than video, and from that angle you can get some dramatic shots. It doesn't work in powder though, and the lens of the camera soon gets covered in snow.

I have previously posted some short footage mounted on a ski, the ski did have a flat surface so I could get away with a standard adhesive mount, there is a bit of chatter, but it was acceptable going to be even better with the built in stabilisation of the 6 Black.

http://youtube.com/v/gdze6IZTFZQ
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
galpinos wrote:
will I notice the difference between the 5 and 6?
I don't think so, unless you want to do slo-mo in 4K resolution. Apparently the in-camera stabilisation is better with the new camera, but if that's really important to you it's probably better to buy a 3-axis gimbal which will do a significantly better job of keeping your footage steady.

Ray seems very impressed with the improved pic quality in low light and overall dynamic range.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/gopro-hero6-black-in-depth-review.html

Quote:
Further, some will look at top-line stats like 4K60 resolution, and then assume the rest is marketing speak. In reality, I’d actually argue the opposite. After using a unit for a few weeks, it’s clear that the lesser mentioned features like low-light performance and dynamic range are actually the real winners here.

And from his list of changes:

Quote:
1) New 4K at 60FPS: Previously the Hero5 Black was limited to 30 frames per second.
2) Image Stabilization at 4K: Previously this was limited to 2.7K, though you still can’t do 4K/60.
3) New 1080p at 240: This is a significant bump from previous 720p at 240FPS, which is used in slow-mo.
4) New GoPro GP1 Chipset: This in-house chipset for image processing replaces Ambarella, which GoPro and many others have used for years.
5) Better low-light performance: This is probably what I’d consider the two biggest items on the camera. It’s mind-boggling. Also, they increased long exposure to 10-seconds from 2-seconds.
6) Better dynamic range with lighting conditions: Like low-light performance, the speed and clarity here is astounding. Check out my comparison video below to see what I mean.
7) Better image stabilization: 3-Axis image correction in all angles, most notably the roll axis in wide shots (previously it didn’t correct for roll axis in wide).
Cool New zoom slider option: You can zoom 0-100% within the image to a custom framing. This essentially gives you tons of flexibility compared to existing narrow/medium crops.
9) New HDR Photo Capture: While previously there was WDR, this is actually a 3-image compilation.
10) Dual 2.4Ghz/5Ghz for downloads: This dramatically speeds up downloads for larger files over 5Ghz, GoPro says this will double speeds, and that seems valid in my case.
11) Changed file formats: For 4K60 and 1080p240, they’ll now use H.265 HEVC file formats, which halves the file space requirement. It also introduces some compatibility issues though (I’ll cover later).
12) Slightly improved voice control: You can now turn on the camera entirely via voice, previously you had to power it on manually.
13) All mounts/cases stay the same: While not new, it’s definitely notable. Mounts, batteries, cases, etc… are all identical to Hero5 Black.
14) Increased camera algorithms: The camera can now detect faces, though it doesn’t expose that yet. It’s used by Quik for processing afterwards.
15) Much faster touch screen: Simply put it’s faster. It responds to commands faster, both in camera mode as well as gallery mode.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ansta1, Storm Inferno skis?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have just bought the suction mount from gopro hoping it will stick to the ski with the hand held gimble aswell....i think i will leash it to the binding to be safe! I also tried a few years ago the standard adhesive pad but it came of on 1st turn!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
silver_skier wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for how I can mount a GoPro at the tip of my skis? I've seen solutions before but I have what seems to be a rare problem. My skis are not smooth on top, they have a rough texture. It seems this rules out all suction cups and adhesives. This is shot I've wanted to get but just can't find a solution.

Rather than mount it on the skis, I just used the gopro 3-way and held it at ski/boot level.

http://youtube.com/v/nOgluQ9hBS8
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
@ansta1, Storm Inferno skis?

well spotted.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WASHOUT wrote:
I have just bought the suction mount from gopro hoping it will stick to the ski with the hand held gimble aswell....i think i will leash it to the binding to be safe! I also tried a few years ago the standard adhesive pad but it came of on 1st turn!

The 3M adhesive pads generally don't come off if put on in the recommended manner. ie.

Leave surface and adhesive pad in a warm dry environment, apply adhesive pad to surface and press firmly for 30 seconds to a minute. Leave to cure for 24 hours in same warm dry environment.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

However, the tip of a ski bounces and vibrates like crazy so I question whether the footage will be of much value.

Didn't someone post some beautiful footage shot on a gimballed/stabilised ski-mounted gopro?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
silver_skier wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for how I can mount a GoPro at the tip of my skis? I've seen solutions before but I have what seems to be a rare problem. My skis are not smooth on top, they have a rough texture. It seems this rules out all suction cups and adhesives. This is shot I've wanted to get but just can't find a solution.

Could you mount on your ski boot top strap like the last picture in this link
https://cdn2.peakdesign.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/c/p/cpov-7.jpg

If your meaning the flat adhesive mounts from gopro then they do fall off! but the ski was a line prophet that wasn't a smooth flat surface like some other skis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a boot mount which is like a huge bulldog clip and the footage is much better than from a ski mount.

4K60 is all very well but the file size needs industrial computing power to process.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@WASHOUT, yep, I stuck one of the mounts onto a ski and thought I'd done a reasonable job of it. However, it took less than a morning on icy Italian pistes to lose the mount. Thankfully I hadn't clipped the camera in at that point as wanted to see how the mount stood up.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think they're pushing their luck with this one, which delivers a little more for the top end, but also lots of consumer stuff.
A near-professional camera which can "detect faces" and which has automatic editing software?

The Sony RX0 looks significantly more fun, although the separate display/ recording device is just more complexity & expense. Ah, the joys of toys.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@WASHOUT, yep, I stuck one of the mounts onto a ski and thought I'd done a reasonable job of it. However, it took less than a morning on icy Italian pistes to lose the mount. Thankfully I hadn't clipped the camera in at that point as wanted to see how the mount stood up.

On my clip above you can see the camera on 2 different pairs of a ski's, a pair of eldest juniors, and then on mine. Now both pair have flat topsheets which helps but you can also see when on eldest junior she's doing a few, albeit small jumps. The same mounts have not failed in the last couple of years. (with the exception of a camera dismount when I didn't use the gopro mount locking tab, which is that strange bit of white rubber for those that don't know).
snow conditions
@silver_skier,
Quote:

Try a glue gun although I have never tried it myself on skis I used a glue gun to aid the mounting of the Go Pro to the Motorbike helmet and it worked a treat and seems pretty solid to date! however when it comes to mounting on the skis I have heard previously of problems with contact to the snow and exposure to the cold has on the 3m adhesive pads. However this season I intend to try the ski tip mount myself and will probably see if the aid of the glue gun works!
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

I wouldn't recommend using the standard 3M sticky pads.........

http://youtube.com/v/1a_2FJwr2nQ

Wait until the end of the clip.

It took me half an hour to find the camera once it came off. Luckily it didn't leave the piste as it was early season and it would have been lost in the green/brown forest. The camera was, however stolen a few weeks later on a trip to Chamonix.......
snow conditions
As i've said, theadhesive mounts for me at least, fixed properely, haven't failed. That said the advice is always to tether the camera.
snow conditions
Well the new Karma with v2 software is improved over the original. Been busy with work and it's been a bit breezy of late so not had more than a dozen flights. Stable with no control lock outs or connection drop outs. Only had it up to about 300metres and to about 1k down range.

Production hero6 also yielding some good results, though i have a lot more testing with the settings.

A quick clip of the girls off out for a hack, had to keep a bit of distance so as not to spook the horses.

http://youtube.com/v/_jLt5LjqhIk
ski holidays
And a quick one of the homestead from circa 400ft.

http://youtube.com/v/9Xg7uQjN-fM
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy