Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ruka December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We are off to Ruka on the 2nd weeks of December for the Santa and skiing, we have booked to see Santa. What activies would a 5 year old like? Im thinking of the huskies and reindeer. I'm hoping to see the northern lights.

I've read that it can be very cold down to -25, is this correct?

Plus whats it like for skiing!

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
this sounds like a great idea - dont have any constructive input i'm afraid
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3020902&highlight=#3020902

I posted on this thread while I was there. We went with a 5 and 6 year old at half term. Huskies were fantastic, need an adult driver and children sit in the sleigh in front. Go for 5 or 10 Kms with the husky man (you can do shorter rides elsewhere). If they like speed, snowmobiling! You drive and child clings on behind! Remember a hat for when you stop, you'll want to take your helmet off.

There is an ice park on a frozen lake in front of the pistes with slides and things. You can toboggan further along too (easy to hire). Any other questions and I'm happy to answer. Where are you staying? If you want to know about restaurants/pistes/ski school feel free.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hotel cumulus rukahovi
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very very cold there and make sure the 5 y/o is well kitted out...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What's the normal temperature?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obviously there's no 'normal' temperature. That time I would expect temperatures between +5 and -15. The most shocking thing however will be the darkness even when it's (just) below the arctic circle. But I'm sure it will be enjoyable experience. Good choice!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Ruka website is very helpful. This is the 360 deg walk round section. The Cumulus is the massive building in the centre with the red sign (which is now blue). The little bits I saw, it was nice inside, wood panelled corridors, nice restaurant. The building before it is ski hire, tickets and 'Piste' bar/restaurant. It's is right on the slopes. I'm not sure what the red heater-skelter like thing is but if you click on it you get a street level view and can virtually wander around. The supermarket, Kumpare and Alco are through the alleyway between Colorado and Rukashop.

http://virtual.ruka.fi

The coldest I saw was -19C, one day it was still -10C at 3pm. You don't feel cold unless you get wet IME. The most important area is cuffs round the wrists, especially if falling or playing in snow so get the longest mitts you can for your child, and a few pairs. Because the temps at top & bottom are so similar & there isn't much walking around, I found I got much less sweaty than in the Alps so neither hot nor cold. The kids were happy staying out after dark most afternoons too.

I'll have to give you the run down on tickets, lifts and ski school tomorrow as I'm off to bed. You don't say if you have all skied before. In Ruka it is very helpful to be able to get down a very easy slope.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are both experienced skiers, my wife is a far better skiier than me.

Our 5 year old learnt on snow and is currently skiing on a dry slope.

We haven't brought any ski passes yet, can't decide on whether to get a full weeks pass. We need to hire skiers and boots for the youngster. How much are lessons?

Im looking forward to it, should be fun skiing in the dark! AND visiting Santa.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Crystal had a fantastic offer on a hire/lessons/lift pass combination. Hiring thru ruka for a child was really expensive. Nearly same as an adult. Ski pass for <6 was free and on calling them up I got the price of the pass knocked off that so our 5 yr old had 5 x 1 1/2 hour group lessons and ski hire and lift pass for <£50. Think just ski hire was more thru ruka. Adults get a decent discount booking in advance on the website so look and decide yourself.

There's not a whole lot of skiing at Ruka but it is v quiet. Most of the steep stuff is heading back to Ruka village or at the edges.

Easy way to get to ski school: up the chair on the left (from Ruka you have 2 lifts) and turn right down 16. Ignore the first left (to the park) and veer left when the slope widens. Head thru the arch and go right below the massive snowman between the magic carpets. Stop at the fence and look for the flags which are supposed to help find your group. If you've booked with Crystal you'll have to go into Ski Bistro which is the building in front of you to find out where to go.

16 is a very easy run so if your child has done any skiing they will manage. Will definitely beat 40 mins on a bus!

Other easy runs: the best is 32 (but it's very flat on the way, you will need to push/drag a 5 year old). Button tow really quiet run with great views. Rudolf and Rudolph (26) thru the forest has lots of little games and huskies and a weird shed of precious things to keep everyone entertained Shocked Shocked

6 is fine, great for a look at the rest of the village but a T-bar back up. A Dubois pleasure with a 5 year old. It takes you far enough up for an annoying shuffle round the fence to the chairs.

2 ways back from ski school. Ruka Express then 7 is quickest but have to pull across to the lift at the bottom and sidestep up slightly at the top. Then the top section is a narrow cat track. Taking the longest button tow then staying high wil get you saarua chairlift and take 5 home which is nicer.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 30-09-17 10:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers matey for the info.

Looks like I'll be ringing crystal and getting ski hire from them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Adult lift tickets were cheaper through Ruka website and you pick them up from the same shop as ski hire, next to your hotel so no more difficult than getting them on the bus from Crystal. I got the children's from crystal and adults from ruka website.

Crystal will try and sell lots of trips at the welcome meeting. They weren't any cheaper than organising them yourself last year, despite what they said. Just because I'm on holiday doesn't mean I can't read.

There's an activities shop next door to your hotel (Safari House/Ruka adventures) and another next to the supermarket. Everyone on the desk will speak good English. There was a massive info sheet in our room (or maybe I got it from the lift pass office) giving details of most of the trips and I'd definitely recommend a decently long husky trip 5-10kms. 2.5kms is over in a jiffy and too short. Make sure you go to the husky farm. There you see working dogs with food and shop tacked on. The other place trips go is Lamintipuu cafe. It feels more like a cafe with multiple activities there. We did a reindeer sled ride after snow mobiling there. It was fine but much busier (with cross-country skiers mainly) and the snow mobile ride there and back was more memorable.

The best piste is probably 4 and the best skiing after snow is between the trees down to Kelo or Ruka village. There is a cliff to avoid that you can see from the frozen lake in Ruka.

Pessari area has decent runs. Masto runs are shorter and easier. Saarua is in between (in length and difficulty), but does have a chairlift
Very Happy
Looking at the new piste map, they seem to have renamed Ruka Express as Vuoselli Express and opened up more tree skiing between pistes. Looks like they are also upgrading the lift from Ruka to the summit.

The hardest blue is under Ruka Express, there is a steeper section beside the half pipe in the top half. The lower section is gentle. 26 and 27 are easier routes.

For lunch, the Finns often carry a few sausages in a pocket and cook them over one of the many fire pits (marked on the piste map), they are kept going all day. A hot drink would probably be a good idea too at these as there is just a small shelter & bench at them. We often went back to our apartment for lunch.

On the Vuoselli side, Ski Bistro always seemed very busy so we went for lunch at Ski Booster, skiers left of the beginner area through a car park or off run 16. its in a residential block and is a fairly typical bar, much smaller and quieter.

There are loads of places in Ruka. There is a fancy restaurant at the top of Masto, and Austrian bar at the base of Pessari and a Finnish restaurant at the base of Kelo.

If you think of anything else to ask, I'll probably know.

We didn't see the Northern Lights Sad , mainly because it snowed almost every night Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy