Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How are UK ski websites doing?

Poster: A snowHead
I compiled this data a few days ago (20 Sep) for another project but am happy to share it here.
According to people who understand these things, free-to-use analytical tools like this (trafficestimate.com) should be viewed as just one set of statistics to compare with others ... so this isn't presented as any kind of 'definitive ranking'.
Also, I'm not sure I've included all significant UK websites connected with skiing. If anyone has other suggestions, please fire away ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW ARE UK SKI WEBSITES PERFORMING?
The following data is given by trafficestimate.com, based on visits over the past 30 days ... with 2016 figures underneath.
% increases/decreases are only given where trafficestimate.com indicates them ...

2017 RANKINGS

snow-forecast.com: 399,000 (up 16.3% year on year)
j2ski.com: 260,200 (up 23.8%)
absolute-snow.co.uk: 153,400
snowandrock.com 137,400
crystalski.co.uk: 137,400
ellis-brigham.com: 124,000
snowheads.com: 118,600 (up 8.1%)
inghams.co.uk: 86,900
igluski.com 55,700 (down 10.5%)
natives.co.uk: 32,600
inthesnow.com: 32,300
skiclub.co.uk: 29,600
welove2ski.com: 22,100
planetski.eu: 2,000
skiandsnowboard.co.uk: "not enough data"
winterhighland.info: "not enough data"
ifyouski.com: "not enough data"
wheretoskiandsnowboard.com: "not enough data"
fall-line.co.uk: "not enough data"
skipedia.co.uk: "not enough data"
snowindustrynews.com: "not enough data"
Snivel.com: "not enough data"
--------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 RANKINGS

snow-forecast.com: 343,000 (down 4% year on year)
j2ski.com: 227,600 (up 12%)
ellis-brigham.com: 160,700 (down 17%)
snowandrock.com: 150.500
absolute-snow.co.uk: 126,500
crystalski.co.uk: 102,800
snowheads.com: 101,400 (down 30%)
inghams.co.uk: 98,700
igluski.com: 81,600
skiclub.co.uk: 48,600
welove2ski.com: 27,700
natives.co.uk: 26,200
planetski.eu: 14,100
inthesnow.com: 10,900
winterhighland.info: 10,300
ifyouski.com: "not enough data"
wheretoskiandsnowboard.com: "not enough data"
fall-line.co.uk: "not enough data"
snowindustrynews.com: "not enough data"
Snivel.com: "not enough data"
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you not have a day job?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why da feck is snow-forecast getting so many hits in August and September? Webcam junkies?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow-forecast is anyway rubbish.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Why da feck is snow-forecast getting so many hits in August and September? Webcam junkies?

It's also surf forecast and yes, it's not great at that too, though wave swells are easier to predict than snow.

S
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Our companies web traffic has increased massively recently. Why?

Well, our browser is set to run in page "standalone" mode so we can run multiple pages for customer support without any of they affecting the other.

All our staff have the company page as their home page. So in the morning, and afternoon and perhaps after tea breaks, 10 staff open 6 instances of the pages on login= 180 hits a day = and extra 50,000/year.

And anyway. This type of stat is irrelevant unless someone in marketing wants to justify their existence to a boss that doesn't understand what they are talking about.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I posted the above at 09.12 on a Sunday morning.
At 09.24, "under a new name" (yet another anonymous correspondent of this forum - some sort of anonymouse of many anonymice) posted:

Quote:
"Do you not have a day job?"

Yes, unlike the bulk of the UK population I may well work on a Sunday - I was at one of my two jobs from 11.45 to 16.00 yesterday. I'm 64 years old and have just joined the front-of-house team of a brand new £26m visitor attraction. This involved winning the job last May as one of 30 from a field of 500 candidates (mainly in their 20s and 30s) to provide the public-facing staff of this venture.
Does that answer your question?

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

There certainly is a major internet addiction problem, but snow-forecast.com have obviously tapped into the one thing that obsesses skiers ... apparently even when snow has receded to the summits.

GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Our companies web traffic has increased massively recently. Why?

All our staff have the company page as their home page. So in the morning, and afternoon and perhaps after tea breaks, 10 staff open 6 instances of the pages on login= 180 hits a day = and extra 50,000/year.

Sure. That kind of stuff goes on whenever data is an imperative. The rent-a-crowd technique has been used to boost many a business, in all sorts of ways. But I don't think it invalidates the kind of stuff that can be analysed from the tools of trafficestimate.com ... or alexa.com etc. ...

2017 RANKINGS (BASED ON ALEXA.COM ANALYSIS)
Global rankings, as defined by Alexa.com:

Quote:
Alexa Traffic Rank
An estimate of this site's popularity.

The rank is calculated using a combination of average daily visitors to this site and pageviews on this site over the past 3 months. The site with the highest combination of visitors and pageviews is ranked #1. Updated Daily

This data was collected this morning: 25 September 2017, and shows a broadly similar ranking order to trafficestimate.com but with some differences ...

snow-forecast.com: 56,373 (down 15,072)
j2ski.com: 81,380 (down 11,259)
absolute-snow.co.uk: 164,133 (up 47,903)
crystalski.co.uk: 185,436 (up 178,817)
snowandrock.com: 187,818 (down 8,479)
ellis-brigham.com: 207,954 (down 7,068)
snowheads.com: 222,853 (up 8,644)
inghams.co.uk: 315,634 (up 101,672)
igluski.com: 333,968 (up 202,181)
inthesnow.com: 680,527 (up 417,528)
natives.co.uk: 710,791 (up 257,264)
skiclub.co.uk: 773,933 (down 223,702)
welove2ski.com: 847,616 (up 22,828)
planetski.eu: 1,345,718 (down 38,979)
fall-line.co.uk: 1,850,728 (down 549,937)
skiandsnowboard.co.uk: 2,047,756 (up 1,397,608)
wheretoskiandsnowboard.com: 2,407,359 (up 676,496)
winterhighland.info: 2,697,973 (down 1,520,081)
ifyouski.com: 4,545,766 (down 52,385)
snowindustrynews.com: 6,234,903 (down 3,212,469)
skipedia.co.uk: 7,619,285 (up 4,550,430)
snowvole.com: 13,368,010 (down 2,889,934)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Davina Goldballs, that was a bit of a waste of today's post wasn't it?

Rather meaningless numbers.

Internet anonymity is a perfectly reasonable approach.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Top 2 are interesting* - both have mobile apps and API links which will may well tie into their visitor counts - it'd be interesting to see how the numbers held up against unique visits and how the apps pole the site for new data.
Absolute, SnR and EB is kinda interesting too - surprised to see the retailers so high up the table in off-season.

* I may be using this term quite wrongly here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name-I think @Davina Goldballs is way past any criticism you may be able to provide. Hard working and knowledgeable, something you should strive for.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah...this is bollox and entirely meaningless. What else would we expect from Davina?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Hard working and knowledgeable

Ah, yes, those. Evidently. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is there really any point in entering a thread merely to direct personal insults at the OP?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hurtle, Indeed, I suspect had Admin or X7 etc been the OP the following posts would have been quite different.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boredsurfin, Admin (or anyone else) would have added some value/context to the numbers.
snow report
@Davina Goldballs, good response snowHead

I found your list useful mainly because there were several sites included I'd never heard of. A few more to look at before getting out on the white stuff again.
snow conditions
Interesting (that word again) case study in how a toxic brand can sour a product.
ski holidays
Actually, to be totally fair on the sockpuppet, the second list is rather more interesting.

Why does Snivel have such big numbers?

Does Fall-Line still exist?
snow report
@under a new name, its a ranking. the bigger the number the worse it is.

I saw something about Fall Line the other day so sure its still going. I'm old and even I no longer buy mags anymore so I'm guessing it must be very tough out there in magazine land. None of them seem to have migrated well to online.
snow report
@Pruman, ooops. Missed that. Makes more sense now, thanks.

The last I'd heard was that F-L had gone completely on-line. But I could easily be mistaken.
ski holidays
@under a new name, you are mistaken wink First issue of Fall-Line goes on sale on Thursday!
snow report
@clarky999, in a strange way I am pleased they're still around!
snow report
@under a new name, Fall Line still going (at least was last year). I buy it and enjoy reading, good for the lav library. Obviously there's a push for online content, but that's the case for many niche magazines.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy