Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski wax

Poster: A snowHead
Hello ski experts

I'm going on my fourth ski trip this december. In order to save some money, I want to wax my skies myself. This could be a good solution for me, and saves me a little money. But my question is now - what's the difference between the different types of wax? Are there any? Can I use just regular universal ski wax or do I have to use a specific wax. I have heard of different types of wax according to the temperature, the landscape and snow? Could this do? https://alverdens-voks.dk/produkter/klargoring-af-ski/universal-skivoks-150g/ I hope someone can enlighten me. Cool

Have a nice weekend! Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 27-09-17 20:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Universal is ok. If you are deadly serious you can go temp specific for better glide but that depends on only waxing when you know what the temps will be. If you have warm wax on and it is a long way sub zero you can really stick and vice versa.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Datawax on Amazon , seems ok , cheap
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Miksim, Talk with Jon (Spyderjon) at Piste office, he'll be along soon....he's the maestro of everything ski tech...
wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Miksim wrote:
I want to wax my skies myself.

I don't recommend trying to wax the sky.

Skis should be OK
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shades of Jimi Hendrix

" Scuse me while I wax dis guy"
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dp, Could be a big job that, and I don't know if it'll stick anyway...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Miksim

Self maintenance of equipment is great and everyone, if possible, should do it. The more one attends to anything of theirs the better. But............. You say you want to save a little money and wax your skis. Great. But if you do not have the minimum tools to wax, which I am of the impression......., you will in the end spend considerably more to that of a shop's hot wax cost. And I am of the intransigent position that numerous waxings are essential throughout a given week of skiing.

If you do it yourself you need a basic variable temp iron - nothing fancy or dedicated, just a basic variable temp iron, wax of your choosing and honestly, an all-around type works great and a scraper. Beyond that a specialized brush. A dedicated cork for polishing. But in a pinch, folded newspaper works well, too. And I have not remotely remarked about files and other base/edge tools...........
Factor the costs of all required waxing tools and wax and you might take a different posture for the time being, first by having the skis checked thoroughly by a shop, prepped, waxed and ready to go............, then, once on the trip apply some of the additional saved cost to leaving your skis at any day's end overnight at a shop right at the base of the mountain (as I always do whenever I am away on a ski vacation outside of Snowmass) and have the skis hot waxed to be picked up the next A.M. It's a winner all around........... The skis are in their hands, not mine and are waxed for any and all next day.......... It's always worth the cost. Waxing, beyond making for a silk smooth running surface also serves to protect base.

I highly recommend some handy teflon type liquid such as ZARDOZ or similar type by whatever convenient means as is now readily available to carry and apply if one wants to "cheat" by a day or two.
In terms of wax, the general public need not get fancy. They just need to wax............., often. Terry Hertel, over forty years ago proved that. I would recommend to anyone visiting the HERTEL SKI WAX website and educate oneself about the basics and then some regarding ski wax. Hertel is as knowledgeable - and painfully candid - about wax science as anyone could possibly hope for. His Hot Sauce alone proved that.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All that remote remarking...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all replies:-) Some mentions datawax from amazon but I don't want skiwax with flour or any bad chemicals. Have any heard about Holmenkol? I found this https://alverdens-voks.dk/produkter/klargoring-af-ski/universal-skivoks/ and it seems to be without any bad chemicals? What is ski wax made of anyway and why not use natural ingrediens only? Just wondering.. Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Miksim, Holmenkol produce great wax. I use it. Ive sent you a PM with some details.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Paul Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Miksim wrote:
What is ski wax made of anyway and why not use natural ingrediens only?

There is this, other manufacturers may do something similar.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @Miksim, welcome to snowHead s!
@spyderjon, who is resident ski tech on this forum, stocks Dominator Zoom. It's a universal wax whith a very broad working temperature range. His prices are also keen.
Shoot him a pm and see if he could sort you out.

Regards
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you get the general wax and you find it a bit slow, just move to a steeper slope Happy
latest report
Remember that wax just makes skis slippy in the glide but you need sharp edges to make them grippy in the turns.

I can recommend investing in spyderjon's half day tuning course at the Piste Office. You even get biscuits!
ski holidays
You got biscuits? Shocked
snow conditions
www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=85119&highlight=
www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80575&highlight=
www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83945&highlight=
www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93994&highlight=
www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=117038&highlight=

I have an ancient flat iron with no steam which works fine for me. I do not use vices, just turn skis upside down on a table. Ski wax tends to be the most expensive item (see threads above for using candle wax instead). Using ski wax remover is a novelty which I do use now, did not in the past. It cleans the base better prior to adding new wax. Deep gouge harder wax (they come in a stick which you light and it is much harder than wax). Nailbrush. Get an edging tool, and use it prior to storing skis or they will rust. I am sure I have other items, but probably best to read the above threads for more informed views.
ski holidays
Thanks - just what I needed to, guys!
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:
Using ski wax remover is a novelty which I do use now, did not in the past. It cleans the base better prior to adding new wax.

You shouldn't use wax remover on the bases. Just brass brush. Or you can do a hot wax scrape if you like.
snow report
The time to use wax remover is before making base repairs. No need to do it before waxing, just brass brush it as Themasterpiece said.
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, the instructions on these wax remover products disagree with you.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/toko-waxremover-hc3-ski-wax-remover/?pid=10004&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bing-shopping&cpkey=aD6gSt0QyHgy1Ut7Q2P8F09lHRyi-07F3RM-WJgSUPA&_$ja=tsid:66274|

for example says: "Apply the Toko Wax Remover HC3 to your base and clear away the last wax layer and any other residues before you fossilize the late-spring dirt into your base with a fresh layer of wax. Dont let the mud- and grass-filled snow that you rode at the end of last season has come back to haunt you; only a chemical intervention led by the HC3 Wax Remover can bring back your bases to what they used to be."

Seems fairly clear to me. Why should I follow your instructions, overriding the products instructions Puzzled

(I should add that conditions in Scotland always include grass, mud, heather whether it is spring or winter)
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
@Themasterpiece, the instructions on these wax remover products disagree with you.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/toko-waxremover-hc3-ski-wax-remover/?pid=10004&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bing-shopping&cpkey=aD6gSt0QyHgy1Ut7Q2P8F09lHRyi-07F3RM-WJgSUPA&_$ja=tsid:66274|

for example says: "Apply the Toko Wax Remover HC3 to your base and clear away the last wax layer and any other residues before you fossilize the late-spring dirt into your base with a fresh layer of wax. Dont let the mud- and grass-filled snow that you rode at the end of last season has come back to haunt you; only a chemical intervention led by the HC3 Wax Remover can bring back your bases to what they used to be."

Seems fairly clear to me. Why should I follow your instructions, overriding the products instructions Puzzled

(I should add that conditions in Scotland always include grass, mud, heather whether it is spring or winter)

Lol, are you serious?!? Because that is marketing waffle trying to sell you the product!

Base cleaner is essential when doing base repairs, as others have said, in order to ensure the p-tex welds well to your base. Any other time a wire brush will clean the structure of the base ready for a fresh waxing.

If it's an end of season service a base cleaner might not be ridiculous to give your skis or board a clean up...however a warm wax and scrape will probably do as good a job.
ski holidays
I have 3 types of waxes

Piste Fast wax
Glacier/super-cold/Off piste wax
Spring wax

Working a combination of these i get performance whatever the weather.

After a fresh snow fall for example I will drip a mix of Glacier wax and Piste wax. If it's spring and warm and melty after just a few hours I bust out the Spring wax.

If it's a kind of regular condition day mid temp for the time of year and I want to carve up the day I will drip just piste wax.

If it is very cold (probably below -10*c) i will use the super cold wax only.

Basically, Just have some fun with it and you'll find what works for you.

Also a tip for saving money is wrap your clothes iron in Foil (get a smooth wrinkle free face), and melt away. much cheaper than a waxing iron, although make sure you turn the steam off otherwise you will severely burn your hand.
latest report
Oh i occaisionally bust out the base cleaner, to clear away all the yuk that can build up in the bases and stop the wax sticking to the ski - but it's all personal choice.

Although some people disagree and break out the instruction manual and scientific study papers about what you should buy and how best to use it. Really, we all like different things and what works for someone may not work for you Smile
ski holidays
When I add wax, I nearly always have to use ptex due to deep gouges. However, I do not always ski on deep compacted well pisted pistes. Therefore, for me, my method seems reasonable given consensus advice. I do not use much base cleaner, and have only done so since I bought a bottle. I have not used it to remove wax from carpets after it dribbled on them! That is another problem altogether....
snow conditions
Bigtipper wrote:

for example says: "Apply the Toko Wax Remover HC3

I got that far then stopped. As soon as it refers to a product brand and name, you know that it's marketing material, not genuine advice.

I don't know anyone who uses wax remover. A hot scrape clears all the crap out of your base (you know this because the wax comes off black in places) just fine and can be done really quickly and easily as part of your normal hot waxing routine.
snow conditions
Quite a few suggestions elsewhere for Swix Glide Wax Cleaner instead of a hot scrape. Personally I've only ever hot scraped,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy