Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short break for New Year - ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to see if I can get a short break in over the new year. Me and my brother have got 29th Dec to 2 Jan available, but a bit stuck with where to look. Usually go for a week to a big french resort, but figure that with traveling on 29th and 2nd, will get 3 days, so don't need anywhere as big. The problem is that outside of where we usually go (Paradiski, 3 valleys, EK and Grand Massif) I really don't know much about other places, especially Austria/Italy/Switzerland.

Obviously don't expect this to be a cheap break, but still don't want to spend a fortune.

I'm a bit stuck, so looking to the snowheads collective wisdom for suggestions on places to look for that would be likely to have decent snow, be reasonably easy to get to, and not massively expensive, flying from London/South Coast?

Usually go self catered, and don't mind basic - I'm going for the snow, not luxury!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chippie, you'll struggle a bit I think with a Friday - Wednesday trip over NY... But no doubt it's possible.

I would look at the bigger Austrian resorts and think about a B&B. Mayrhofen say, or the Ski Welt villages.

That said, skiing at NY is (IMV) awful. Early season conditions combined with very crowded pistes = queues and carnage.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Idea for you. Fly Norwegian air from Gatwick to Trondheim, 29 Dec 17:50-21:20 return 2 Jan 21:55-23:30 for £170 each.

Late return, but you get in 4 full days of skiing Smile

Hire a car or get a bus transfer to Åre. Check skistar.se website for accommodation. Dates are funny over Christmas/NY so check week from 28 Dec. Cheapest apartment in Åre village is Åre Fjällby (good location by VM8 lift) starting at £600 (£300 each).

Ski hire, lift pass, transfer info also on skistar website.

Who knows how the snow will be, but usually it’s cold so they’ll have the cannons working and they typically get most of the resort open in the weeks running up to Christmas. Maybe some offpiste if lucky and get some fresh snow.

Here was us the week after that last year
2017-01-08 GoPro Åre from Steven Plummer
https://vimeo.com/198729653
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
how cold was it in Are when you were there?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Kj82, last year -15 to -20C. But strangely only -7C in the high zone (cold air is more dense so was sitting in the valley). But at Christmas in previous years it's been -5 to -10C. I did look up the long term average at that time of year for some reason, and I think it was around -10C.

With a helmet, a few buffs, and good gloves/mitts and it's fine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I skied often in Åre during the 80's. The coldest was -24 but there was no wind so it was OK with sensible kit. The last time I was their in January it was -4 and sunny. Perfect weather. I have many fond memories of Åre so I may be biased but I can reccomend it
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy