Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short break next week - thinking Flaine?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have decided to take my son (13) for a short weekend skiing next week , as he is unable to join us in the half term.
I intend taking him out of school on Thursday afternoon, and returning on sunday.

So my requirement are :

1. - a late flight from London airport on Thursday
2. - a short transfer
3.- ski domain that will have enough runs open ( as we will start skiing on the 15th Dec)

Have been looking around , and looks like London - Geneva is the best option from cost and flight time.
Flaine looks like a reasonable option - but not sure how many lifts / runs will be functioning.

Also looking at accommodation at - Résidence Pierre & Vacances Les Terrasses d'Hélios - anyone stay there, know it?

Are there any other obvious candidates?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Re Flaine opening it looks as if Flaine will be open on the Friday and the Samoens and Les Carroz part of the Grand Massif on the Sat/Sunday. I would check the weather forecast though as it looks as if there will be a massive storm coming through each day with high wind which may compromise the full opening of the domain. Les terrasses d'helios is new and well respected but self catering - have a look at the Terminal Neige Totem hotel as well which is well situated for restaurants at forum and has a new funky bar.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stayed next door in Eos, think they're about 100mtrs apart.

Great place, ski in and out at back of buildings, about 10mins walk to top level of Flaine Foret, the main commercial area. Usually shuttle bus as well but it's about 2mins to snow and maybe more worth it coming back if you don't want to walk in ski kit up road.

Always hard to read snow levels this early in year, helps if someone out there to report but suspect you'll be on same schedule as opening then.

As@mishmash, says, Terminal Neige is right in centre of village by main lift, but suspect it's cost may influence you. If price of your original is good, can't see a problem with it.

Flaine usually has something open even in poor years. They can get you up top in one lift and you can stay skiing up there if village snow in sparse.

Transfer time is good.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow looks very good right now from local reports - now worry there, they opened last w/e and all the FB looks vg on piste and webcam, Ski-in out at Helios or Eos normally not open that 1st week due to contracted lift co manpower, but "should" be on the Sat - ski out in is ok from sat anyway via Grands Vans but out would be by bus. My only caveat is that you might not be skiing due to too much snow and wind !! in which case you will be in a self catering apart 20 mins out of town (also check the restaurant up there is actually open!! - I might pony up for terminal neige and walk around the shops restos pub ...

All in all an excellent idea but you might be the wrong side of the latest storm!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pm’ed you
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Spyglass, We're doing exactly this, but airbnb-ing it down in the centre.

Did the same last year - pretty much the same weekend - but stayed in the Madam Vacances place up in Foret.

Last year there was very little snow anywhere, but they'd managed to open enough pistes to keep things interesting for a weekend, though we were limited to the main Flaine bowl. Was fascinating watching them drive lorry load after lorry load of snow past our apartment to open a run back to town (Balacha). As others have said, the opposite looks like it's going to be true this year.

Might see you there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the responses so far .
I am going to follow the weather for the next few days and make a decision on Tuesday / Wednesday. Not keen to schlep there and sit around or Ski in unpleasant conditions especially with my kid .
Would also be inclined to stay at Totem Neige if we did do the trip , so thanks for that recommendation.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy