Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt (and Cervinia) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
@Matrski, haha. Too many snowflakes around.

Which Pest, I didn't know Chris was out there with you, and I can't imagine ginge ever being like that (creepy yes, but thats just his general gingeriness 😀😀)

Off to sample Zermatt this morning, sun shining and pistes amazing Happy

Stay safe bud
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PaulC1984,

Yeah he’s here!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Matrski, haha legend. Gets around like a growth on the unmentionable that one does 😂😂😂

I knew he was out over Crimbo but clearly trump didn't let him return home. Looks like you'll be keeping him busy until we meet up in a few weeks Happy (Good luck!!!)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Matrski, found bobs best mate in Cervinia this morning. Bit X rated for him 😂😂

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And yes it's at Willy's Bar 😂😂😂
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JohnMo wrote:
südtirolistdeutsch wrote:

Ah ok, you think there's a good chance that there will be a decent amount of valley snow around Easter?

On which side? Easter is reasonably early this year (1 April) so should be a good one. Both the Italian and Swiss sides have such a good base now there should be no problem for any of the pistes. Cervinia being south/southwest facing gets lot of sun. That is lovely at Xmas and New Year but they can suffer for it by Easter with some slushy slopes into town if the weather is hot. Fortunately most of the non-beginner skiing is quite a bit higher than the town. Over in Zermatt there is no skiing into town other than two home runs which are used for nothing other than getting home. The slopes in Zermatt should be in fine condition come Easter. Whether either side will have fresh snow of course .......

I was thinking more of Cervinia. I and the others I go with absolutely love valley runs and since we're all early intermediates (can ski all blues and a handful of reds) Cervinia's vast amount of easy skiing is important for us (not to mention the Italian cuisine). Right now we're thinking either Cervinia or Livigno but are open to other suggestions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@südtirolistdeutsch, not forgetting Valtournenche. Headed over there today and loved it. Nice little area, plenty of crusing runs and bits of off piste between runs if you fancy it. Spent a day there today and had a whole 2 people in front of us in the none existent queues. Let everyone else play in zermatt and keep Cervinia/Valtournenche as you private resort Happy

Plus you can upgrade for the day for the odd trip over shold you want to sample the slopes and expense wink

€1 for a coffee - I'll stick to cervinia Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PaulC1984 wrote:
@südtirolistdeutsch, not forgetting Valtournenche. Headed over there today and loved it. Nice little area, plenty of crusing runs and bits of off piste between runs if you fancy it. Spent a day there today and had a whole 2 people in front of us in the none existent queues. Let everyone else play in zermatt and keep Cervinia/Valtournenche as you private resort Happy

Plus you can upgrade for the day for the odd trip over shold you want to sample the slopes and expense wink

€1 for a coffee - I'll stick to cervinia Happy

Is there a big price diffierence between Cervinia and Valtournenche? Which do you recommend for a first time visitor?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@südtirolistdeutsch, well this is my first time here, so I'm far from qualified to comment, BUT I really liked Valtournenche today. The lift pass can cover cervinia too - €244 for the week. Valtournenche is small and I'd done it all within a an hour or so (I'm not slow) but it was lovely to get away from the crowd - cheap (but good) cafes, no queues, sun. What's not to like. Only think I'd say is there is only 1 red run back down into resort and Its llooonnggg - it'd be a killer for anyone less than intermediate by the end of the day. That said you can get the gondola down. Lovely little resort, and since it links up with cervinia I'd go there myself next time (closer to airport too!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="südtirolistdeutsch"][quote="JohnMo"]

Right now we're thinking either Cervinia or Livigno but are open to other suggestions.

Schnalstal im Südtirol ? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JohnMo wrote:

Right now we're thinking either Cervinia or Livigno but are open to other suggestions.

Can I ask why you suggest it? I don't mean to be difficult but looking at Bergfex it's a little small (at 30km of piste). The issue is that I am flying from the US so I'll be staying for about a week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JohnMo wrote:

Can I ask why you suggest it? I don't mean to be difficult but looking at Bergfex it's a little small (at 30km of piste). The issue is that I am flying from the US so I'll be staying for about a week.

It’s a high place, so should be snow sure at that time of year , and it is very much in the heart of the German speaking South Tirol which I thought might appeal. But you are right, it is rather small.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PaulC1984,

I agree that Valtournenche is worth a visit or two if you are in Cervinia. The Cervinia ski pass automatically includes Valtournenche (although you can buy a cheaper Valtournenche only pass). However I am not sure if I were coming all the way from the US (as @südtirolistdeutsch is doing) that I would base myself in Valtournenche. It is fairly small and quiet.

The Valtournenche ski area is that bit lower than Cervinia. So if snow is deteriorating generally it will have deteriorated further. The link from Valtournenche to Cervinia is rather poor – a long button lift. I also get irritated by the chair lift (e) up from Sallette. It is just so incredibly slow. It puts me off skiing the nice red 1 on the south side of the bowl and down on into the town. However there is plenty of fun to be had (both on piste and off piste) by the faster lift (lift f) higher up. I would also endorse the comment already made about the quality and relative value of the food.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pjd wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

It’s a high place, so should be snow sure at that time of year , and it is very much in the heart of the German speaking South Tirol which I thought might appeal. But you are right, it is rather small.

Haha, thanks. I would definitely consider it but the problem is there aren't any ski resorts nearby. Obergurgl is 3 hours away
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JohnMo wrote:
@PaulC1984,

I agree that Valtournenche is worth a visit or two if you are in Cervinia. The Cervinia ski pass automatically includes Valtournenche (although you can buy a cheaper Valtournenche only pass). However I am not sure if I were coming all the way from the US (as @südtirolistdeutsch is doing) that I would base myself in Valtournenche. It is fairly small and quiet.

The Valtournenche ski area is that bit lower than Cervinia. So if snow is deteriorating generally it will have deteriorated further. The link from Valtournenche to Cervinia is rather poor – a long button lift. I also get irritated by the chair lift (e) up from Sallette. It is just so incredibly slow. It puts me off skiing the nice red 1 on the south side of the bowl and down on into the town. However there is plenty of fun to be had (both on piste and off piste) by the faster lift (lift f) higher up. I would also endorse the comment already made about the quality and relative value of the food.

Ok thanks. How long does it take to ski all of Valtournenche for an early intermediate?
snow conditions

Ok thanks. How long does it take to ski all of Valtournenche for an early intermediate?

Not long. If you look at the piste map you get an idea:

http://www.cervinia.it/file/6956

There are basically 5 runs:

1. From the top (Colle inf. Cime Bianche down the number 1 to Salette.
2. Again from the top running alongside lift f.
3. From the bottom of lift f running alongside lift e to Salette.
4. The small area up from Salette served by lift c.
5. The run down to town from Salette.

In all cases except the last one there is more than one run but they are covering the same ground. If all you wanted to do was cover each area you could ski all 5 easily in a day even as an early intermediate.

I like Valtournenche and frequently pop over but I never really think of it as a separate ski area. I think it performs two functions: one as an adjunct to Cervinia; and one as a cheap place for people coming up from Turin for the day.
snow report
JohnMo wrote:

Not long. If you look at the piste map you get an idea:

http://www.cervinia.it/file/6956

There are basically 5 runs:

1. From the top (Colle inf. Cime Bianche down the number 1 to Salette.
2. Again from the top running alongside lift f.
3. From the bottom of lift f running alongside lift e to Salette.
4. The small area up from Salette served by lift c.
5. The run down to town from Salette.

In all cases except the last one there is more than one run but they are covering the same ground. If all you wanted to do was cover each area you could ski all 5 easily in a day even as an early intermediate.

I like Valtournenche and frequently pop over but I never really think of it as a separate ski area. I think it performs two functions: one as an adjunct to Cervinia; and one as a cheap place for people coming up from Turin for the day.

This sums it up nicely.

I got round it all in a couple of hours. An early intermediate a day or 2. That said it's been a bit colder today and so I popped over to enjoy the early morning sun rather than get cold in the shadows wink - had a blast yet again - I'm quite happy skiing the same pistes if they are nice and quiet with no queues which is exactly what you'll find.

You WILL get bored after a few days though, so get the linked cervinia pass and you'll struggle to get around the lot in a week. Also it opens up the number of cafes on the slopes (always a bonus!) The 2 in Valtournenche are lovely, cheap, great food, but there's some fine food in Cervinia with a better range of cake - we all love cake Happy
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
You WILL get bored after a few days though, so get the linked cervinia pass and you'll struggle to get around the lot in a week. Also it opens up the number of cafes on the slopes (always a bonus!) The 2 in Valtournenche are lovely, cheap, great food, but there's some fine food in Cervinia with a better range of cake - we all love cake Happy

This though is why I wouldn’t recommend someone coming a long distance and staying for a week should stay in Valtournenche (as opposed to visit it) rather than Cervinia. To get to Cervinia from a hotel in Valtournenche you’d need to:

1. Get a shuttle to the lift.
2. Get the lift up to Salette.
3. Get that really slow lift e.
4. Get lift f.
5. Take the long drag lift h.

After that you could ski down into the Cervinia bowl. But even then you are on the slightly trickier slopes for an early intermediate.

By comparison if you stay in Breuil-Cervinia you are within walking distance of lifts accessing slopes that are best for an early intermediate.

I am with you on the cake mind. snowHead
snow report
A no brainer to stay in Cervinia, rather than Valtouranche. If coming from the US, and if spending a bit more is no issue, its also a no brainer to stay in Zermatt rather than Cervinia. I do recall early intermediate skiing required though, so Cervinia's slopes are indeed perfect. snowHead
latest report
What he said ⬆️
latest report
Flying out today, will drop a line on Zermatt and Cervinia conditions next week when I get the opportunity. Excited 60 year old! snowHead
latest report
twoodwar wrote:
Flying out today, will drop a line on Zermatt and Cervinia conditions next week when I get the opportunity. Excited 60 year old! snowHead

I can tell you that on piste is excellent, off piste is a bit crusty in places, and that it's BL00DY FREEZING!!

Got myself in a bit of a mess today not layering up properly and took an hour and lots of coffee to sort myself out. It's the first time ive ever grunted in cold pain and shouted f*ck uncontrollably whilst skiing 😂😂
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
A no brainer to stay in Cervinia, rather than Valtouranche. If coming from the US, and if spending a bit more is no issue, its also a no brainer to stay in Zermatt rather than Cervinia. I do recall early intermediate skiing required though, so Cervinia's slopes are indeed perfect. snowHead

Why would you say its a no brainer to stay in Zermatt rather than Cervinia?
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:

Why would you say its a no brainer to stay in Zermatt rather than Cervinia?

It will be interesting to read what @twoodwar says. I would not say it is certain that it is better to be in one resort rather than the other. It really depends on which factors are most important to you. These are some of the things I would say distinguish the two:

1. Zermatt is considerably more expensive than Breuil-Cervinia.
2. Zermatt is (in my opinion) a much more attractive town than Breuil-Cervinia and has a lot more facilities, bars etc.
3. Zermatt has a lot more challenging skiing than Cervinia.
4. Zermatt has itineraries (ungroomed, challenging ski routes) whereas Cervinia does not. The off piste is more extensive in Zermatt as well.
5. A lot more of the Cervinia area is suitable for nervous intermediates or beginners.
6. A lot more of the Cervinia area is good for snowboarders.
7. A lot of Zermatt is north (or northish) facing. That can make it cold and dark early season while Cervinia is getting bathed in sunshine. The corollary is that the spring snow is usually better on the Swiss side.
8. The Italians are way more cool than the Swiss. Sadly I am not cool at all so fit in better on the Swiss side.
9. The Swiss ski area is quite a bit larger than the Italian area (even including Valtournenche).
10. Zermatt is easier for most people to access. Flying to any of the Swiss airports, there is a good train connection. Even flying to Milan is not bad (although the connection to the train system from the Milan airports is not so good). For Breuil-Cervinia one flies to Turin or Milan and the connections from there are not great (e.g. there is no train).

Of course whichever side you stay in, you do get the benefit of being able to ski both areas (at a price). However most people do end up spending the majority of the time on “their” side (and sometimes one is forced to if the link is closed because of high winds). I think one of the great advantages of Zermatt-Cervinia is the fact that it includes both areas: there is such a fantastic contrast both in skiing terrain and culture.
snow conditions
@JohnMo, Good description.

I only shot over to Zermatt for the one day, but the point about the sun is one well worth considering. It was flipping freezing over in Zermatt, in contrast in the morning id head over to Valtourneche to catch the early morning sun, (warmer and less shadows), then spend the rest of the day in Cervinia. Granted the difficult skiing was a little more limited, but still enough for a week, with the one day over in Zermatt - just remember to pop back to Italy for lunch wink
latest report
Hi, can anyone tell me if Triftji and Stockhorn are open? Triftji has been closed on most of my previous visits.

Thanks.
snow report
Yes

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/winter/panoramalive-winter
latest report
Apologies for delay in responding, too busy skiing. Piste conditions are fantastic everywhere, enough snow to last all season,in response to sudtirolistedeutsch, I was coming primarily from the perspective of the town itself which Johnmo has itentified. If you are a beginner or early intermediate, Cervinia's super easy fast slopes are perfect. I recommended my daughter and husband (beginner) go there for just this reason. We were in Italy yesterday and going over today, and a Chalet Etoile lunch is enough reason to go to Cervinia, ( fish soup still sublime). Hower we hit the Papperla post skiing last night, great live band as nearly always, - a great reason to be in Zermatt as any. Try both would be my response, given Johnmo's excellent and pretty comprehensive earlier reply. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JohnMo wrote:

Well I would suggest it too - Cervinia connects at the top into Zermatt so you have in total over 360km of pistes and some amazing off piste options.
snow report
The road between Täsch and Zermatt (which is restricted to authorised vehicles, e.g. local taxis) is closed again due to avalanche risk (the train is still running). Our son and his wife just drove up the valley from Visp to Täsch (on winter tyres) and said it involved a fair amount of sliding.
latest report
JohnMo wrote:
The road between Täsch and Zermatt (which is restricted to authorised vehicles, e.g. local taxis) is closed again due to avalanche risk (the train is still running). Our son and his wife just drove up the valley from Visp to Täsch (on winter tyres) and said it involved a fair amount of sliding.

Spoke too soon. Avalanche on the track between Täsch and Zermatt again. Line closed. Zermatt is cut off from the world once more. Better start revving up them there helicopters again.
ski holidays
Well thank goodness for snowheads - we are at Trockner Steg winding down after a great week's skiing, ready for return tomorrow (by car) and didn't know anything about this! Zermatt ticker suggests that Täsch shuttle is running again... I think

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 16-02-18 21:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
caughtanedge wrote:
Well thank goodness for snowheads - we are at Trockner Steg winding down after a great week's skiing, ready for return tomorrow (by car) and didn't know anything about this! Zermatt ticker suggests that Tãsch shuttle is running again... I think

Aye the trains, including the shuttle, are fine. Started running last night. The restricted road between Täsch and Zermatt that they got open is now closed again.
latest report
@JohnMo,
Quote:

The restricted road between Täsch and Zermatt that they got open is now closed again.

Any idea of road from Visp to Tasch?
latest report
kapt wrote:
@JohnMo,
Quote:

The restricted road between Täsch and Zermatt that they got open is now closed again.

Any idea of road from Visp to Tasch?

It is open and it is fine.
snow report
@JohnMo, Thanks for that. - guess it's pros & cons again - lots of snow = great for skiing/not so good for travelling!
latest report
kapt wrote:
@JohnMo, Thanks for that. - guess it's pros & cons again - lots of snow = great for skiing/not so good for travelling!

Aye. True. This week’s disruption was fairly minor compared to a couple of weeks ago. There is just so much snow sitting on those steep valley sides that any top up can be difficult.

My son, daughter in law and friends are having a great time of it. Fortunately I’ll be out on Thursday so can ski any of the snow they have left for me.
ski holidays
62 (Furgg-Furi) was closed on about Wednesday I think, because of a potential slab avalanche. This could clearly be seen from the Matterhorn Express gondola in the days before, threatening to break away, which it did when the temperature went up.
What was also striking was the sheer volume of snow in the village - everything which needed to be cleared had been cleared, but in many places this meant snow had been piled up 6 feet or more, in gardens, yards etc. We now know that there is a special gate on the bridge under the Gornergratbahn, which they open in order to dump snow into the river. But all of the work which goes on in these conditions is not enough to placate some moaning minnies when the ski-bus is 2 minutes late!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 18-02-18 23:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Spring skiing on the Zermatt glaciers is going to be all time epic! April oh yes please!
latest report
I'm driving up to Cervinia on Thursday night and nervously eying the weather forecast. Looks like nonstop snow. Any idea what it takes for the authorities to shut the road?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy