Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

st anton half term advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@ulmerhutte, the name Arlberg is very old, older than the Romantic period at least, when mountains (the real high ones) were given names. Before that time, mountains were nameless.
The Arlberg though is on an old important medieval road, and the "berg" in its name refers to the pass (being a 'berg' in the road) itself. So actually in our modern terms it should be "Arlpass"
The use of the adjective "am Arlberg" is a 20th century thing, and related to tourism. Like a brand.
Officially only St.Anton and St.Christoph use it, not Lech, Zürs and Stuben
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Re location...

First year we arrived from MUC by train and stayed in Pettneu. The cheap flights were quite late on the Saturday, so we slummed it in the MUC Hilton on the Saturday night and got the train on Sunday morning. Taxi to the hovvel and then the owner offered to drive us to the supermarket. Ski bus to and from the door pretty much every day. The ski bus is pretty unpleasant, but bearable. You have to be organised getting perishables in town before getting the bus back each evening.

Second year we drove from Nuremberg (Good old Ryainair) and stayed in Schhann. We still got the bus most days, but drove once or twice.

As above, the bus is not pleasant, especially with 2 small kids. But if it's bus served ski holiday or a wet half term in Manchester there was really no contest.

I think the apartments were around 700 euros for the week.

PS. That £2.5k included everything apart from insurance. Taxi to and from Manc airport, flights, Hilton hotel, trains, taxi, ski carriage, kids ski lessons, ski passes for 4, all food and drink, souvenirs.

The second year was a bit less, perhaps £2,200 all in as the kids didn't get ski lessons.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Guess it must have been a while ago TheGeneralist? There is a MiniM supermarket in Pettneu selling all the basics, plus a bakery. Only time I've ever found the bus unpleasant has been during the peak Feb holiday weeks, and then mostly just in the mornings, evenings aren't so bad. Having said that, I stay close to bus stops on both the ski bus routes serving Pettneu which may make it a little easier...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Guess it must have been a while ago TheGeneralist?

Last year and the year before.

Quote:
There is a MiniM supermarket in Pettneu selling all the basics, plus a bakery.

quite probably, but 700 euros won't get you the Pettneu town centre in February. We were pretty much in the middle of BF nowhere, on the outskirts back towards St Anton. Too far to be schlepping into town by foot.

Quote:
Only time I've ever found the bus unpleasant has been during the peak Feb holiday weeks

Yep, this thread is about St Anton at half term, which is what I'm describing.

Quote:
, and then mostly just in the mornings, evenings aren't so bad.

Strangely enough I found it the opposite. In the morning you sit at an empty bus stop by a road in a [hopefully] snow covered valley. In the evening you go to the industrial concrete jungle bus station thing and hang around with loads of drunken Scans before scrumming down onto the bus. It's the evening I found worse.

Anyway, let's not let this get out of proportion. The bus journey sucks, but it's a means to an end[/quote]
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TheGeneralist, that concrete jungle thing is the Rendlbahn bus station under, awesome functional building. Never scrummed with peed up Skandis...don't know when you've been, strange. You clearly take some pleasing....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Likewise. That said, I have only ever caught the Linie 2 & 4 buses. No real issues. Perhaps the Pettneu-bound passengers are different!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anyone ever flown to zurich then driven to st anton ? flights to innsbruck are silly prices. Friedricshafen not convenient. zurich has good times and costs from Luton at the moment for jan / feb 2018
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
backhojo wrote:
anyone ever flown to zurich then driven to st anton ? flights to innsbruck are silly prices. Friedricshafen not convenient. zurich has good times and costs from Luton at the moment for jan / feb 2018

Surely the train, train, train! One quick change at Zurich city station then off to St Anton plus a couple of beers. Splendid.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@backhojo, Zurich - St Anton is very easy and a great way to travel. Grab a train buffet in the supermarket in Zurich airport on the way down to the train.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i was thinking of driving not train. gives more flexability. accomdation likely to be outside of st anton. 2 adults, 2 kids, 4 cases, skis, self catering...not great on trains. plus getting to shops etc once in accomdation is easier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@backhojo, Friedrichshafen is very convenient and cheaper car hire that ZHR.

ZHR is good with trains but bad with hire cars in my experience. Its an easy train journey, 100% train from ZHR not car.....other way round from MUC btw. Done both many times.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
backhojo wrote:
i was thinking of driving not train. gives more flexability. accomdation likely to be outside of st anton. 2 adults, 2 kids, 4 cases, skis, self catering...not great on trains. plus getting to shops etc once in accomdation is easier.

Fair enough.

Easy drive in that case (when I've done taxis from Ischgl, which is further, it didn't feel troublesome). Motorway all the way. Presume you'll need to pull over and get the Austrian motorway vignette before crossing the border?

Having said that. What would the cost of taxis be if you had to use them to and from resort or to ski buses plus train to and from Zurich, vs car hire for the week? Not sure myself but worth looking at?

I personally like minimising what I have to do.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@backhojo, Trains cheaper too, if you buy early. Or Arlberg Express coach from ZHR/ St Anton?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@backhojo,
The UK febuary half term is not normally an especially busy week in Austria. They get something like 20 visitors for every Brit, so its the German half terms you have to look at.
We have been lucky as in the last few years UK half term has not coincided with any large German regions (which are staggered through the season) or Dutch school holidays.

However, unfortunately, this year will be busier due to Fasching:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124749#3108261

The following year should not be too bad:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133261#3108167
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy