Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Starting them young!

Poster: A snowHead
I suppose it is piste related, albeit a fake piste.

I've booked our grandson on the Chill Factore penguins club starting this Sunday. He's 3 & 1/2 so the same age as our lad when he started and he's done alright out of it.

What have I let myself in for...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Every Sunday for the next 15 years at Chill Factore?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A lifetime of gratitude
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Three and a half is old enough to use the Burton Riglet Park. Will be at Tamworth next month, sure it'll be around Chill Factore some point in the winter...do the kid a favour and get him on a snowboard sooner than later! wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good work. My daughter started at 4 and my son at just 3. Now daughter is 7 and Son a few weeks away from 5 and they are both loving their Skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
manicpb wrote:
Three and a half is old enough to use the Burton Riglet Park. Will be at Tamworth next month, sure it'll be around Chill Factore some point in the winter...do the kid a favour and get him on a snowboard sooner than later! wink

This.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PowderAdict, I hope not because guess who's footing the bill...

Looking forward to it really and the aim is to get him on the mountain ocer the Christmas break over in Italy, Madessimo is about 90 minutes away from our house so hopefully some easy first days for him.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow wrote:
A lifetime of gratitude

...with, like all things, a gap during all those years ending in "...teen".
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Orange200 wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
A lifetime of gratitude

...with, like all things, a gap during all those years ending in "...teen".

Any gaps in gratitude will result in year long gaps in skiing trips!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For sale:- One small ski suit, very little use.

It didn't go according to plan, tears, screaming, throwing himself on the floor.

He was more interested in the toy diggers they had about the place which is fair enough, going to give it some time and then try again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
homers double wrote:
It didn't go according to plan, tears, screaming, throwing himself on the floor.

My son is 12 and still does that when I mention homework, tidying his room or helping with chores. Thankfully he is alright skiing!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@homers double, that's a shame, the ungrateful swine Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We booked my lad in at Xscape Castleford for lessons when he was 3 1/2. They weren't a great success, he'd participate for half the lesson, but not really enjoy it, and didn't really progress.

For various reasons we didn't ski with him that year or the next but when he was 5 1/2 we went to Canada. He'd not been back on the indoor slope before we went, so we booked him a private lesson for the first 2hr, and he took to it like a duck to water. Really enjoyed it and after a couple of days was off the nursery slope and onto the mountain

Interestingly one of the instructors we spoke to out there says he prefers it when they have started school. That way they are more used to listening to instructions, and the idea that something needs working at until it can be done properly

So don't worry too much, let it rest a bit and try again later
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At 3-5 it's as much about playing in the snow as anything else. Sometimes they used to fall over and they'd instinctively start digging or rolling a snowball. And they really need stuff to keep them interested - little jumps, little wander through some trees... So in that sense the mountains are much better/easier than a dome.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We based it on our experience with our lad at Xscape Castleford where he (aged 3) enjoyed the kids club and it helped him get to grips with what the silly long things on his feet were.

I'll not let it get me down as I'd really like to take him on the mountains but he's just started his 30 hours at nursery, the lesson was at 8am so he'd been up since 6.30. Possibly not the best set of circumstances.
latest report

Started Theo at 3 1/2 don't regret it for 1 second. He is flying around now at 5 and loves it. 

2 things to look out for 

1) loo breaks - the cold doesn't just effect old people's bladders  

2) Cfe is ccooolllddd at the moment. Glove liners a must, especialy since they will be rolling round in the snow or throwing it! 

Don't be afraid to top up those snowdome lessons with dry slope ones. I have found that whilst Theos lessons in the dome are great, lessons on a dry slopes are cheaper and most importantly there is a better ratio of kids to staff (generally 6 to 1) so they get more runs and do more drills. 

Have fun  

PS get yourself some more lessons, give it 3 months and the midget will be flying past you! - this was Theo after 3 months Happy
latest report
homers double,
Patience. Don't push it, or you'll put him off for life.
Sometimes it seems there is a League Table of How Young My Boy/Girl Was When Started Skiing", with latest entry "Well, mine was still attached to placenta . . . "
Your lad seems very sensible: toy diggers much more interesting than sliding around on planks.

Maybe next time go along with some older kids your lad admires who are already skiing. Then he might want to join in. Or not. Toy Diggers are a lot of fun.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, with you here.

With Mr T the first few lessons were disastrous - loo breaks, getting upset, not wanting to leave us etc. Each time he asked to go back though and eventually he loved it. Certainly helps once he started makin freinds who he now meets for freestyle and junior club.

Definitely not worth pushing, I'm sure you are well aware all kids develop at different rates.

I just feel like a spare part now I'm not needed Happy
snow conditions
Totally agree with everything said above! I'm not trying to outdo anyone, just fancied taking him skiing over Christmas.

Daft thing is that in the car on the way home he said he wanted to go again.
latest report
@homers double, haha we had this for the first few times and so easy to get frustrated (and I did, just not in front of him) - you spend all that money, they play up, and then on the way home they want to go back Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Took a few weeks and things clicked
snow report
homers double wrote:
Totally agree with everything said above! I'm not trying to outdo anyone, just fancied taking him skiing over Christmas.

I would still take him, sure he would love playing in the snow and he may do a bit of skiing.
ski holidays
homers double wrote:

That's kids for you. I'm constantly having to remind mine that I'm not taxiing them to somewhere for my benefit. And endless debates about what they enjoy or don't. Change their view with the wind... or whether it will get them access to the ipad/PC/TV later. Very frustrating for my generation where the opportunity to do stuff was very limited.
snow report
homers double, just be careful that he actually wants to go again because of the Diggers rather than the skiing.

When mine started they liked a bit of skiing, but also enjoyed playing in the snow, making slides, making snowmen, making tunnels just as much.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy