Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The big switch -from boarding to skiing !

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

My other half has decided that next year he's going to try skiing as opposed to boarding. Being a skier and with two young kids that ski I am quite pleased with this!

However, now he needs lessons. I am wondering whether he would be better off with a couple of private 2 hour 1:1 lessons for first couple of days and then ski the rest of the holiday with me ( I may even be faster than him hurray), or is it best to do ski school at 5 days at 3 hours per day, smallish group ( max 5 I think).

A consideration is also what do I do whilst everyone is in ski school, don't really like the idea of skiing alone. Putting myself into ski school is an option but it all adds up cost wise and we are (as always 😢) on a budget.

Anyone had similar experiences or advice?

Thanks.🙂
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had this exact challenge a couple of years ago. I skied briefly as a child (for about a week) but then boarded for 20 years.

My other half learned to ski when I met her five years ago (didn't want to board) so after her getting confident enough to ski blues I said I'd learn to ski. I ended up having two half day private lessons (in Courmayeur, excellent by the way) which I can honestly say I made so much more progress than had I gone in group lessons. After all, the instructor only has one person to watch and provide feedback to, tailor the areas of technique to focus on and can progress through difficulty at a pace that suits you.

I'm now more than happy to stay on skis and cruise the pistes if it's sunny, only getting the board out if it's snowed or she has a day off.

As for what to do yourself, you should try skiing alone, it's actually quite liberating and if you don't like it, it's only a couple of mornings and you can just stop early for a drink.

Hope it works out!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hils68, Private lessons I think. He's not going to fit in with absolute beginners and yet he IS an absolute beginner in many ways. Do book your private lessons early as the problem, in my experience, is that they are often only available at lunch times, which is the one moment you all want to be together.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
can you get some lessons in a fridge ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not ski alone? It's great, there's no faff and you can ski the runs that you want at the speed you want. I wouldn't want to do it all the time but had a trip by myself a few years ago and would have no qualms about doing it again, tbh it was probably only the evenings that it would've been nice to have someone else about.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, +1 for this.

I love it when I get to a junction and can just carry on in whatever direction takes my fancy without waiting to make sure everyone's there and then having a committee meeting.

Similarly, It's not something I want to do all the time, but I've had a couple of family trips where Mrs Dave & young Dave have been in lessons and I've been left to my own devices.

Sometimes I've ended up skiing on my own, and sometimes I've ended up skiing with others in a similar solo state - usually after a couple of days of small talk while waiting for lessons to return which then carries on post-lesson in that friendly we're-all-on-holiday-but-we're-not-committing-to-lifelong-friendship sort of thing. Give it a couple of days though - time to decide who's a weirdo/lunatic and to be avoided (and hope that it's not you).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
UkuleleDave wrote:
...Give it a couple of days though - time to decide who's a weirdo/lunatic and recommend snowHeads to them.

Fixed that for you. wink

I'd go with trying to do some beginner classes at a fridge before going, then a couple of privates in resort if those go well. If he's not getting very far in the dome lessons then a week of group lessons might be better.
Agree with Snoody about skiing alone. It's nice to stop (or not) when and where you want.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I started skiing last year, after 28 years of boarding. The idea is to ski on piste when it's icy and to board when the off piste is good.

The first 10 minutes were pretty hilarious but after that all of my bad habits came flooding back and I was away.

I'm planning on doing some one to one lessons this season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you. Seems like a good option for 1:1 lessons for first couple of days, and it does make sense. We have a dry ski slope near us, it's not great but may get him started on the snow plough, plus provide me with entertainment from the cafe ! yes it could well be liberating to ski at my own pace for a day or so. we are going to Pila in January, which isn't that long ! Thanks for replies, as always very helpful Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For me your first lessons should always be in a fridge/dry slope, for one reason only - who wants to waste your one holiday a year having lessons Happy Happy

Get the side slider to have enough lessons at home first and then if a 'top up' is needed on holiday so be it.

Not sure where you are based but privates at Tam worth are very reasonable, but in all honesty for the first lesson I'd join a group and then book a private once he's learnt to stand up (as opposed to faffing or sitting in the middle of the slope) - will be more bang for your buck this way
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PaulC1984 wrote:
Not sure where you are based but privates at Tam worth are very reasonable, but in all honesty for the first lesson I'd join a group and then book a private once he's learnt to stand up (as opposed to faffing or sitting in the middle of the slope) - will be more bang for your buck this way

I'd be inclined to do that too, especially if budget is tight. If you're spending £££s on a private lesson then there doesn't seem much point in it being to learn the basics...but then I've never really bother with many lessons anyway so possibly not the best person to comment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To be honest learning to snowboard you need the rest you get in a group lesson, private too little time to recover and psyche yourself up for the next slam.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes, that rest is valuable faff practice time Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hils68, I was forced to make the big switch last year due to injury which restricted my boarding for at least 12 months.

My wife is a good skier and I wanted to get up the curve quickly (last skied 20 years ago) so went for 8 hours of one on one over two days. Looking back I am so glad I went for this option. It was expensive but provided the dedicated tuition I needed so that I could get to a reasonable standard of piste skiing to at least ski with my wife for the remainder of the holiday.

I am not sure how quickly you can progress in ski school (depends on class size) in one week.

We had friends in the resort so she didn't have to ski alone but I think she would have got lessons herself had friends not been around.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PAULC1984 Quote 'who wants to waste your one holiday a year having lessons'. Unfortunately not enough people. The vast majority of once or twice a season skiers and boarders would benefit immensely from have a coaching session or two at the start of their annual holiday. It needn't detract from the holiday at all and WILL definately help them for the rest of the week. As for those who seem to revel in the ignorance of 'never had a lesson in my life and I can ski anything'. They should be the first to have some coaching.
snow report
@Old Man Of Lech, think it depends on the skier. Some people can have lesson after lesson after lesson and will still wobble their way down a piste.
snow conditions
@Old Man Of Lech, wind it in and read the whole comment in context.

I neither said lessons on a mountain were a waste nor am one that revels in ignorance.

The OP was asking what was best with lessons, and in my opinion having your first lessons on your holiday when you have ample oportunity to take those lessons before you go away to get to a competent and safe level prior to going on the mountain shows the exact oposite to
revelling in the ignorance of 'never had a lesson in my life and I can ski anything'.

Of course having a lesson on the mountain is a good idea. I have skied for close to 30 years, have my Basi, ski at least twice a week in domes, do my 5 weeks a year on the mountain (sigh, wouldn't we all like more Sad ) but still have an instructor for a couple of days at the start of the season to give me a kick up the backside.
ski holidays
@Hils68, A good instructor should be able to give you both drills to do, making the lesson valid for you and your husband.
ski holidays
Paul C1984. 'Wind it in' ? Don't see what your problem is? You make exactly the same case I do. We all benefit from having professional coaching on a regular basis. I was not in any way having a go at you, only at those who don't see the value of what we both obviously believe in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy