Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Dolomites resort for offpiste

Poster: A snowHead
Hi considering going to the Dolomites next winter. Thinking of going with a package holiday & hiring a guide in resort. Mainly interested in offpiste/couloirs etc, happy to skin. Can folk advise best resort as a base & time of year???
Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dolomites are mainly about gentle cruising on artificial snow, and lovely lunches...
Last winter first natural snow came in february...a bit...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Champoluc? Is at least in Italy...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It can be artificial snow. Snowfall is not the biggest in the Alps so not perhaps the best choice for off piste. That said, the type of people who ski there are not really into off piste so if there is a dump, it doesnt get tracked out quickly. Admin knows a guide and something is organised at the Bday Bash. There are some famous routes off the top of the cable car at Pordoi.

I think intermediate skiing is a bit of a generalisation. It is such a vast area it offers something for everyone. I know lots of advanced skiers who would pick Arabba over Courchevel for advanced skiing any day of the week. Both sides of Val di Fassa offer some great black runs which extend around the Ski Panorama and over the top done into Alba.

That said, if you want off piste in Italy, the Three Valleys around Gressoney are, by far, your best bet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've only seen one or two days of really worthwhile offpiste conditions in the Dolomites in six weeks of skiing there but as said IF it has good snow, the offpiste is good.
My biggest gripe with the Dolomites is the lack of really challenging piste skiing, every ru is groomed flat every night. Comparing to Courchevel isn't really saying much, apart from Grand Couloir and one or two others there isn't much challenging piste skiing in 3v either. Skiing Silverstar and Kicking horse in Canada this year, opened my eyes to what challenging skiing really is wher many runs aren't groomed as it is impossible to get a piste basher on them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tangowaggon wrote:
I've only seen one or two days of really worthwhile offpiste conditions in the Dolomites in six weeks of skiing there but as said IF it has good snow, the offpiste is good.
My biggest gripe with the Dolomites is the lack of really challenging piste skiing, every ru is groomed flat every night. Comparing to Courchevel isn't really saying much, apart from Grand Couloir and one or two others there isn't much challenging piste skiing in 3v either. Skiing Silverstar and Kicking horse in Canada this year, opened my eyes to what challenging skiing really is wher many runs aren't groomed as it is impossible to get a piste basher on them.

You need to go to Stowe Gary. You'd love the front four.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dolomites are stuffed full with rad couloirs to climb/ski, but the snow can be an issue. I'd either try and book last minute, or go late (March/April) to give them more chance to fit in.

Friends of mine have scored pretty good there well into May the last couple of seasons, despite generally poor snowfall in the region: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUR7db_hIW7/?taken-by=leo_rauch
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Langerzug wrote:
Dolomites are mainly about gentle cruising on artificial snow, and lovely lunches...
Last winter first natural snow came in february...a bit...

Must have won the lottery then

San Martino di Castrozza

http://youtube.com/v/fBZDcrkCazA

http://youtube.com/v/hK6-wXH2Wpc

http://youtube.com/v/6zi__yV99VI

Corvara

http://youtube.com/v/h9r2q518bdg

San Martino di Castrozza

http://youtube.com/v/GjnHUzOHGbo

I was flying solo so had to reign it in. More than enough terrain for a lifetime of turns

Here's a great TR from 2013

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97141
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arabba on the Sella Ronda gives you easy access to the Marmolada and some amazing off piste stuff. You need a guide to get to the good routes, indeed I think it is a legal requirement that you have one although from what I hear enforcement is very patchy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Respect: I love the head-dip to claim just one more faceshot at 1:03 of 1:29 in @Mike Pow, 's Snorkel Saturday video Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grinning wrote:
Respect: I love the head-dip to claim just one more faceshot at 1:03 of 1:29 in @Mike Pow, 's Snorkel Saturday video Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@smac,

Nice trip report here :: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2218558&highlight=dolomites#2218558

Note - it is not always like this !!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And if you are looking for more mellow

http://youtube.com/v/17IH-QZLlug
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@smac, I see that many of the replies above have missed the point... As I'm sure you already know, the Dolomites have some of the most epic off-piste terrain in the world, if not the most epic snow record.

As a base, I'm not sure you can do much better than Arraba. It's got easy access to the Pordoi cable car (for access to the classic runs and more extreme couloirs in the Sella group) and Marmolada (awesome routes all the way down to the Val di Fassa if the snow's good, some safer bets higher up if its a little dry (but susceptible to wind)) and there's usually a good chance of some cheap fun in the trees towards Corvara. Plus, there's plenty of of options further afield either (whether by lift-access or roads.) Canazei is another alternative (especially if you like drinking with the Danes...) Loads of other great places, but lower altitudes might make them riskier.

I'd highly recommend getting hold of a copy of Francesco Tremolada's excellent book, "Freeride in Dolomiti" to give you a better idea of what's on offer. As for time of year, if you've got the flexibility to check the forecast and book something last minute then that's best; last couple of years it's been very green well into February, but when the snow comes, boy is it good... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Follow the Rabbit, boy knows what he's talking about.

The video posted above is of francesco. Great guy and pleasure to ski with.

That said Rabbit, should we really be telling to world the secrets of Arabba.

Nothing to find there people's, move on Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, we'll be fine, as long as nobody mentions Campobongo... wink
latest report
@Harrison the Rabbit, wink Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy