Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go after VAL T?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, I am just wondering if someone can give me some advice on what the hell to do next.

Myself, my brother and my dad go skiing each January. So far we have done:

Cormayeur (2010 with people off snowheads) - thought it was fairly small and quite steep most of the time.
Tignes - 2011 went with my dad and LOVED IT!
Morzine - 2012 Went to the hotel viking with family, LOVED IT!!
Val Thorens - 2013 & 2014 BEST SKI RESORT IN THE WORLD!!!Its bloody huge and you could spend months there and not get bored. So much variety. Hotel Tango.

My issue is knowing where to go next... We all loved Val T but my dad made a massive deal out of the 4 hour transfer and says he cannot do that again!

We have been to two of the biggest ski resorts now and I have no idea what to do next. Personally I would go back to Val T but my dad wont.

I was thinking La Plagne could be our next destination because the transfer times are much shorter.

What I am looking for: LARGE ski area (enough to keep us busy for a full week without repeating runs too often).
Short - Moderate transfer times (ideally under 2 hours)
EUROPE - I would love to go to whistler but again, dad wont do a 12hr flight.

ANY ADVICE would be greatly appreciated.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try Les Arcs. The transfer is only 7 minutes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Plagne would be good. Or go back to Morzine - you can't have conquered the whole of the Portes du Soleil! Short transfer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sainter, Tignes and Val T are a schlep.

You should definitely go to Paradiski - either side doesn't really matter.

And if you stay in the lower lying villages Montalbert, Les Coches, Vallandry, 1800 even and avoid 1900/2000 areas you can keep the transfer down.

Where are you transferring from?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get a new dad?

If you can fly into Innsbruck lots of big areas within a 2 hr transfer.

I'm confused by La Plagne - unless you're on the train the transfer from airports is actually longer to the highway turn off. Shorter drive up to resort than up to Val Thorens granted but you equalise that a bit more by going to St Martin etc
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Sainter,

January is a great time to go given how quiet is. It also means you can afford to book late once you know where the early season snow has fallen. That is what I would do. If the PdS has been blessed then may be a different resort there. I don't know Serre Chevalier but I always feel that is my loss and loads of snowheads love it - think it is doable in 2 hours?

Outside France I'd recommend the Milky Way (Via Latea) in Italy. I really like Sauze D'Oulx there but Sestriere works too - less than 2 hours from Turin. It's a big ski area and great food.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, true, but the journey to Bourg is a bit longer Wink

La Plagne transfer isn't a great deal shorter than VT ime, and tbh I can't remember it taking 4 hours to get to VT.

Ski Amade is a huge area with variety and a short transfer (like an hour from Salzburg). Ideally you'll need a car but with 3 of you it works out around the same cost pp (maybe a bit more expensive). Parking seems to be free in most of the car parks. You won't even scratch the surface of the whole area in a week and tbh you could stick to just Schladming/Reiteralm or St Johann/Wagrain/Flachau area for a week and not repeat much.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Sainter, Don't get too hung up on not repeating runs - Ski them using a different line or differing types of turns.

Schladming is a decent size resort, 70 min transfer but the skiing was a bit samey for me. I found Wagrain/Flachau/Alpendorf to be a great base, with trips out (short but excellent skibus journies) to Flachauwinkle/Kleinarl and Flachauwinkle/Zauchensee/Altenmarkt/Radstadt.

Flachau is a 50 min transfer, all along motorways. It is massively refreshing when comparing the accommodation, transfer and prices of Val d'Isere/Tignes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
- Fly into Innsbruck and ski the Arlberg area
- Fly into Innsbruck and ski Kitzbühel/SkiWelt
- Fly into Innsbruck and ski the Dolomites (though transfer will be at least two hours)
- Fly into Salzburg and ski Saalbach/Fieberbrunn
- Fly into Salzburg and ski Ski Amade area
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
According to google maps right now:

Lyon Airport to:

Les Coches = 2h7m
Arc 1800 = 2h20m
Val T = 2h20m
Tignes = 2h45m
Alpe D'Huez = 2h9m
Oz-en-Oisan (satelite village of ADH) = 1h49m

Clearly on a transfer day on a transfer bus in January those times are going to be somewhat greater.

EDIT: corrected time for Oz

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 15-09-17 11:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The 10 closest French ski resorts to Lyon St Exupéry Airport are:

La Chapelle - 142km
Alpe d Huez - 152km
La Clusaz - 159kmt
Les Deux Alpes - 163km
La Grave - 168km
Megeve - 171km
Valmorel - 172km
Le Corbier - 175km
La Tania - 180km
Courchevel - 186km

According to skiingfrance.co.uk
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zermatt? Go by train. A different beast, but refreshingly different. It's not all about size.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zermatt+1

blows the monstrosity mega-french resorts out the water.

zermatt has terrain to suit all, is very picturesque and has a great vibe.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Oz-en-Oisan (satelite village of ADH) = 1h36m

that is clearly wrong
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Claude B wrote:
Quote:
Oz-en-Oisan (satelite village of ADH) = 1h36m

that is clearly wrong

Correction, that is to the village. To the ski station (Station de l'Olmet, 38114 Oz, France) it is 1h49m
ski holidays
@Layne, is that on Google Maps? Still very optimistic imo Very Happy Atm it shows 3hr 8m Sad Must be problems around Grenoble. Somewhere in between the 2 more likely.
latest report
pam w wrote:
La Plagne would be good. Or go back to Morzine - you can't have conquered the whole of the Portes du Soleil! Short transfer.

I agree with this - you obviously enjoyed Portes du Soleil, it has the short transfer time you want, and you can't have explored it all.

Whenever I've been to Morzine I've naturally focussed on the runs on the Morzine/Les Get side, whereas if i stay in Avoriaz I tend to ski more on the Swiss\Chatel side - there must be one side you haven't explored fully (and if it's the swiss side then maybe base yourself over that side eg in Avoriaz etc).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 15-09-17 11:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Claude B wrote:
@Layne, is that on Google Maps? Still very optimistic imo Very Happy

Yes but it will be as of now. As I said in January on transfer day all those times will be greater.

I think for the OP his idea of going to La Plagne and getting a short transfer doesn't add up. Sure you can save a bit not winding up the way up to 2000m but there is still no "short transfer" to the larger French resorts - from Lyon at least.
snow report
@Sainter, are direct flights to Chambery an option for you? If so, that shortens transfer times to Tarentaise significantly, compared with Lyon, Grenoble or Geneva.

Paradiski the next obvious large French circuit. Subjectively I prefer skiing and villages on the Les Arcs side (apart from Arcs 2000 village). Typically ski about 70% Les Arcs, 30% La Plagne.

From Geneva, Evasion Mont Blanc (over 400kms piste) offers a more traditional experience to the mega resorts and about 1.5 hrs from airport. Megeve, Combloux, St Gervais good places to stay.

Austria - the St Anton/Lech/Zurs area? Or Saalbach-Hinterglemm?

If you loved 3V so much, you could stay near the other end of the circuit, eg Courchevel or La Tania. Different feel to Val T but still access to whole circuit.
Similarly with EK, staying on Val D side, rather than Tignes. You could pretend to Dad you didn't know they were on the same circuits! Both under 2 hours transfer from Chambery.
ski holidays
Brides les Bains is a short transfer from GVA, people often go there for the weekend.

"HOW LONG DOES THE JOURNEY FROM GENEVA AIRPORT TO BRIDES LES BAINS TAKE?

Geneva Airport to Brides Les Bains DirectionsThe transfer time from Geneva Airport to Brides Les Bains is about 2 hours 20 minutes, depending on the date, time of day, the weather and traffic conditions. We allow more time for the journey when we know traffic conditions may be bad. The distance from Geneva Airport to Brides Les Bains is 124km. We have up to 7 well timed buses every Saturday. Expand the section “BUS TIMES” below to see more details about our bus timetable.

Our vehicles usually take the most direct route via the A41 motorway and the N90 national road through Annecy and Ugine before climbing the D90 mountain road to Brides Les Bains."

Also less chance of an avalanche on the road to BLB than VT.
ski holidays
Sainter wrote:

We all loved Val T but my dad made a massive deal out of the 4 hour transfer and says he cannot do that again!

How on earth did you make it take 4 hours???

Hire a car and do it in approx 2hrs.
snow report
Quote:

Brides les Bains is a short transfer from GVA, people often go there for the weekend.

True enough, Brides les Bains OK if you're happy with daily long gondola ride (20 mins +) up and down to access the lower slopes of the Meribel valley.
Personally I'd rather snooze a bit longer on a long resort transfer to a ski in/ski out location, but each to their own.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
Sainter wrote:

We all loved Val T but my dad made a massive deal out of the 4 hour transfer and says he cannot do that again!

How on earth did you make it take 4 hours???

Hire a car and do it in approx 2hrs.

You wouldn't be able to do it in 2 hours in the middle of a transfer day in January, even if you could do it at all - I'm sure technically it's possible. But also he is probably using a TO bus and they will probably be tootling, will have a refreshment stop and probably drop of a couple of places on the way in. I could easily see how it would stretch to 4 hours. I DIY and drive and it's something I don't miss!
ski holidays
@bar shaker, guessing by coach on a busy Saturday. 2.5h in a car at sensible traveling day/time easily achievable.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude,
Quote:

@johnE, true, but the journey to Bourg is a bit longer

Yes as others have pointed out the length of the transfer is due to two things where your start from as well as where you finish. Since the train actually stops in Bourg then that is where the transfer starts from. Similarly if your aircraft landed in St Etienne that is where your transfer starts from
ski holidays
+1 for La Plagne.
1:40 from Chambery
2:30 from Geneva

(or 20 minutes less if you go to Montalbert -same ski area, smaller village)
latest report
@johnE, do you want a cookie for being so clever and yet so unhelpful?
snow conditions
@Sainter, if the train is a viable option for you, many of the Tarentaise resorts have very short transfers from Bourg or Moutiers. We find that much more relaxing than flying into Geneva and then sitting on a bus for hours.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sainter,

Hotel Tango is available from CrystalSki - Fly to Chambery and the transfer is 2 hours 45 mins
snow report
@albob, the two times that I've been with Crystal I've found them to be massively optimistic with their transfer times. 3:30 is probably closer to what it took when they took me Chambery to VT.
ski holidays
@Sainter, I suggest a change from La Belle France...

Dolomites (Selva is the easiest transfer)
Arlberg (St Anton)
Saalbach

All fit your bill and are well served by UK TO's
latest report
Go to Saalbach!! Plenty of good skiing to keep you busy for a week and great fun apres as well.
ski holidays
Quote:

Go to Saalbach!!

270km of fully-interlinked piste and great for long itineraries. Quickest transfer time from Salzburg Airport (using the 8 times a day Holiday Shuttle) was 55 minutes - mind you, the driver could have given Lewis Hamilton a run for his money! Smile
ski holidays
Echo the comments about transfer time. If your dad loved Tignes but hated the transfer time to VT, something has gone very wrong, as Tignes is further from GVA than VT. Why not try basing yourself in another 3V resort? The drive up to Courchevel 1650 from moutiers is a bit shorter. The drive time to any resort in the Tarantaise from GVA in a hire car is basically about 1 hr 45 mins to Moutiers, plus the leg that gets you up to the resort. Longer in a bus obviously.
You could try Zermatt..iconic, expensive, has to be done once. The train from GVA is about 3 hrs 40 mins and is very relaxing, even with the change at Visp.

Or...take a look at Champoluc in Italy. We've been a couple of times and loved it. Lovely village, fab Italian hospitality and very reasonable compared to France. The on mountain restaurants are yum. The ski area across the valleys doesn't amount to anything close to the mega resorts, in terms of mileage but it still feels big, and in jan you would have the place to yourself. The pistes are glorious. A couple of UK tour ops do packages and the transfer is under 2 hours from Turin. If you want the full door to door service, a couple of years ago we used Ski-2.com who are based there, arranged everything including our own personal transfer. I can highly recommend.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 16-09-17 8:34; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Dolomites or Cervina/Zermatt.
ski holidays
If Zermatt doesn't appeal, consider Verbier.
ski holidays
If the Val Tho transfer is a deal breaker, suggestions for Les Arcs, La Plagne or anywhere else in the Tarentaise are pretty pointless. OK, VT is a little further up the road than Les Menuires, Merihell or La Tania but we're only talking about 30-40 mins difference at most.

I'd give a +1 for the Sela Ronda area of the Dolomites. Arabba is a prime spot and flying into Venice, only a shade over a couple of hours on the bus. Alternatively, coming into Verona, Selva's pretty about the same.

It's an old chestnut though, wanting epic skiing with a short transfer. Obviously the best skiing is in the hilliest places which don't lend themselves well to building big airports.
As others have mentioned, people who dislike bus transfers are best off looking at train travel as an option: IMV it makes for very civilised travel. For example, while Selva is 2 1/2 hrs from the nearest significant airport, a sleeper train from Paris and a 2hr local train will put you just 40mins from the resort via a bus that costs about 3€ - or splash out on a cab and do it in 30mins snowHead
latest report
I'd also vote for flying into Salzburg. The options for short transfers from there are legion.
snow report
How about Powdair to Sion bin that 4 hour transfers.
40 minutes transfer to Verbier and it only costs 50 chf for the transfer

http://www.verbier.com/en/news/2017-02/powdair-the-snow-sports-airline-coming-to-sion/

400 odd km of Piste
Awsome Apres Ski snowHead
ski holidays
The downside of any resort in the Tarantaise is always the transfers, especially when taking a TO coach. Lyon is around 3.5 to 4 hours, Geneva 3, as usually there is a rest stop to allow for the coach's "broken" toilet. Chambery is a 2 hour transfer but personally I'd rather have the extra time on the coach and not have to put up with the chance of the flight being delayed/diverted because of weather, and also the horrendous scenes at check in/passport control/baggage.

My choice would be lesArcs going through Geneva. It's a 3 hour transfer but thoroughly worth it once you're there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy