Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So what do I do now...

Poster: A snowHead
We were all set on a week away at Christmas, and I was just about to book when visiting family meant we've changed plans.

We've now pushed back to February half term, and that's 5 months and 3 days away... I'm still ramped up and excited for what was a reasonably imminent trip to the snow, and now it seems soooo far away.

I love having holidays booked as I'll immerse myself in it for the weeks or months before, getting fit, thinking about technique, watching videos, all that sort of thing... Not sure there is 5 months of that to go round tho.

So what do you all do to fill the time between booking and travelling?

Jess.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ride bikes/go surfing. Similar buzz!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get a sneaky on in before feb, season openers are always good.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Before my Feb/Mar trip...
Snowboard camp with board test in Dec.
Watch vids to think about what I want to learn next or improve
Research for a new board when they go on sale (or appear in issuu)
Work on fitness, especially core and flexibility
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get a cheeky weekend in, in late Nov or early Dec... something like Mountain Sun's bootcamp at Tignes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pre Xmas weekend, post Xmas weekend, March weekend, Easter trip?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get yourself to a fridge?! Very Happy

hellboarder wrote:
Before my Feb/Mar trip...
Snowboard camp with board test in Dec.

Which camp are you doing? I've been looking into these Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Which camp are you doing? I've been looking into these

It's with Onyx, 16-23 Dec.
I did it last year and it really pushed me. The instructor knows different ways to explain things and when I didn't get it, he'd suggest something else until one worked. He also took note of what everyone wanted to get out of it, so he could plan the tuition with this in mind.

There wasn't any fresh snow so we didn't do any off piste but talking to someone who had been on that camp the previous year, they did quite a bit.

I also improved loads by riding with better riders than me and and my overall confidence in my ability is way more than a year ago.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BigSouthernJesse, Come ride with a few of us at the OcktoberTest session in Hemel.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thinking about a "season opener" as Bob says myself end of November. Any randoms up for it ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for all the ideas and suggestions folks.

I've got a few fun things on the horizon - little triathlon, a bit of mountain biking and a few days away on a windsurf trip, so those will keep me busy. I definitely need to keep on the fitness, the core and flexibility and the squats too - I'm always told I need to be lower when boarding.

I don't think I can make any extra trips away this winter, partly funds, partly working for a small company with a busy period on, and partly because my wife boards as well, and she'd be pretty upset if I disappeared off on trips without her.

I guess the snowboard bug is going to get sated with films and technique stuff. It's been a while since I've been through the snowboard addiction back catalogue..

@Richard_Sideways, what's the deal for the test at Hemel? I've been to MK once, but didn't really enjoy the indoor thing - just felt very very grainy... Would like to test some boards though, I'm finding the most hire shops don't stock anything particularly long, and starting to feel that the right size board is getting important, so maybe time to buy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BigSouthernJesse, The "test" is some bootleg thing Mr Sideways is setting up on the side of the ski test a kinda run/swap what you brung. I've got some bigger boards I can bring if you have a size in mind.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BigSouthernJesse, if you're interested in testing boards you should get yourself to this: www.snowdome.co.uk/ski-snowboard/recreational/the-big-bang-snowboard-show/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bit different for me living near the mountains so I get 4 months of hitting the snow whenever it's worth it but that does make summers harder 😀

Luckily fishing season starts when ski season stops and goes through to the end of march, so as soon as the board gets packed away I'm out in the back country chasing trout. That gets me through to the end of April. Then I get two months of total boredom before I can get back to playing in the snow. Does my head in.

Luckily I live at the beach so can go for a surf whenever the waves are good which helps a lot but April and may are my least favourite times of year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@hang11, tough life huh?
ski holidays
Currently in Mallorca doing MTB. Great place, fantastic trails, no people (where I go ). Recommended!
ski holidays
BigSouthernJesse wrote:
We were all set on a week away at Christmas, and I was just about to book when visiting family meant we've changed plans.

Tell them not to bother and just do your thang anyway. Politely at first, but bluntly if needed.

Be interesting to know if they'd put off their jollies for you, boot on the other foot, and all that ......
snow report
BCjohnny wrote:
BigSouthernJesse wrote:

Tell them not to bother and just do your thang anyway. Politely at first, but bluntly if needed.

Be interesting to know if they'd put off their jollies for you, boot on the other foot, and all that ......

Whilst I'm a bit disappointed we're not getting away in December, on the basis that they are coming over from Australia to visit, and only here for 10 days, it would be harsh to disappear off for the snow. And I actually quite like my wife's family, so I'm keen to spend time with them too. They used to live near the Pyrenees and we crashed at there's a few times in order to get some time on the snow, so yeah, they have made effort for us in the past.

One of the test days (or both) sound quite tempting. Assuming there's stuff around the 168W mark on offer - that's what I'd like to try...
latest report
Yeah, well .....
latest report
BigSouthernJesse wrote:

One of the test days (or both) sound quite tempting. Assuming there's stuff around the 168W mark on offer - that's what I'd like to try...

Might be slim pickings, I struggled to find large bindings! Very Happy
snow report
HandyHand wrote:
BigSouthernJesse wrote:

Might be slim pickings, I struggled to find large bindings! Very Happy

Yeah...

I've always hired kit, but usually end up in the 162/163cm length boards. We had a week at half term earlier this year, so I'd booked ahead to make sure I got one of the longer boards in the shop in case it was busy. One of the staff brought an old board of their own in, and I had a week on a Burton 168W, which was a revelation. Felt very different, and much, much better than anything before... So thinking about buying as there isn't much long hire kit about. I really don't want to go back to shorter boards again.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy