Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

resort suggestion

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

we are a group of 6 intermediate skiers who enjoy austrian style atmospherwle every year for a lomg weekend. we have one beginner, one dodgy snowboarder and the rest confident intermediates

the last 2 years we secured long weekend accomodation in sallbach and really enjoyed the skiing, mountain huts and apres.

we want to try somewhere different but im struggling to find a accommodation for six (apartment or pension)

iscghl - cant find accommodation
ive looked at tux valley (i like tge look of lanersbach and access to eggalmbahn) cant find weekend offer
mayrhofen itself and
believe it or not lech !! (actually have apt offer in lech)

has anyone another austrian weekend resort suggestion and maybe accomodation advice?

some of us have skied schaldming, saalbach, solden and all of ski welt so am i missing any other option?

finally if i book lech will i regret it as i pay a small fortune for lunch n lots of beers? despite having accommodation offer and what seems like good skiing im worried it will full of champagne bars and dickheads rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I've not found the price of beer or on mountain food in Lech to be any worse than anywhere else. You can get a very decent lunch there at the likes of Rud Alpe for no more than you'd pay in a fairly crappy spot in the likes of Chamonix. Or head over to Warth where there are some really nice on mountain spots. Apres in Lech is ok but St Anton it isn't.

Talking of which, you could always look at places down the road in Pettneu, there's some apartments there which are good value and a ski bus to St Anton pretty regularly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll struggle to get most places to make an offer for a long weekend until much closer to the date, and only then if it is outside of peak times, as it burns two whole weeks of potential bookings for a 3-4 day booking instead. You'll have more luck in places which tend to have a lot of German weekenders, or somewhere like Innsbruck where short stays for business will fill in the rest of the week for them. When we've done it in the past, we've targeted mid-January or early-late March, and booked 2-3 weeks before when property owners can see that they have a gap that they're unlikely to fill any other way.

For destinations, add the rest of the Ski Amade area - Flachau, Wagrain, Altenmarkt, Gastein, etc, plus the rest of the Zillertal (Fugen, Zell im Ziller, Gerlos) and also add Zell am See.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lech is stunning and will suit your group skiing abilities. Apres can be a bit Bognor clad. Would suggest staying closer to St Anton if you could as long as you think the beginner can pick things up quickly. St Anton is busier on the slopes so can be a bit daunting for nervous skiers.
Have you tried Kappl instead of Ischgl. Have stayed there a couple of times and heading back this year as our daughter bringing a beginner pal. Only 10 mins from Ischgl (think Hinterglemm to Saalbach journey). Only a couple of proper apres bars in Kappl itself but can be surprisingly good
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lech is no more expensive (food) than anywhere else & it is probably the last place (mass tourist area) that has not lowered itself to Burgers & Fries. It still maintains Austrian Cuisine so on balance you get more home cooked for your money not reheated frozen friteur garbage.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks folks, I misread accommodation offer in Lech and on clarification its not within budget. I'll broaden the search and may sit tight unless a bargain appears in mayrohofen or ischgl areas...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For a group of beginners and intermediates, I'd also look at Obertauern. Not a massive resort, but big enough for a long weekend.
Mostly blue/easy red terrain, decent apres (no St. Anton, but where is?), nice mountain huts, easy journey from Salzburg airport...

Another option could be Zell Am See. Bit more of a town rather than just a resort - so buzzy town center, Austrian charm, etc.

As above, the problem with Lech is not the food/beers up on the hill. Just make sure you look at the price before you buy a replacement helmet. Nearly cost me £600 last time I was there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check Obergurgl. Similar gentle skiing as in Saalbach (and Lech...)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@landers, We (5) stayed in a nice Landhaus in Hippach last year (via booking.com) which was an easy bus ride to the Horberg gondola.

Hippach is kinda quiet, but it's easy to get the train/cab to Mayrhofen for the evening

Ischgl is notoriously difficult for long weekends
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You say some have done Soelden before but I'd recommend there; a group of us did a 3 night stay a few years back and had a great time of it. Lively apres. decent skiing and we certainly had no problem finding accommodation a short walk from the lift. It can be a bit of a faff getting over to the glacier but there's plenty of skiing aside from that, certainly more than enough for less than a full week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@red 27, have booked with free cancellation option a pension in ramsau im zilleratal. it seems reasonable close to lifts in mayrohofen although i was hoping for something basic and very close to lifts in tux / lanersbach so we could hit the slopes quickly in the am without delays...

anyway probably need a new thread or search some old ones but hoping to get snowheads recommendation for ski hire..
In saalbach and ski welt the ski pass works from 3pm day before (so for weekend end trip the sat-mon 3 day pass works from 3pm on friday) anyone know if this is the case in mayrohofen/ tux valley?

also any recommendation for a local ski hire shop? again Hansi in saalbach allowed us to collect skis fri afternoon for free to we could ski and hour or two friday evening and more importantly apres on the mountain Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

You'll struggle to get most places to make an offer for a long weekend until much closer to the date, and only then if it is outside of peak times, as it burns two whole weeks of potential bookings for a 3-4 day booking instead. You'll have more luck in places which tend to have a lot of German weekenders, or somewhere like Innsbruck where short stays for business will fill in the rest of the week for them. When we've done it in the past, we've targeted mid-January or early-late March, and booked 2-3 weeks before when property owners can see that they have a gap that they're unlikely to fill any other way.

+1
Not a criticism of anyone - you don't know until you try it - but the number of times that this point about availability of weekend accommodation has to be explained on these boards is quite striking. There is a case for a sticky on "how to do ski weekends"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton wrote:
Lech is no more expensive (food) than anywhere else & it is probably the last place (mass tourist area) that has not lowered itself to Burgers & Fries. It still maintains Austrian Cuisine so on balance you get more home cooked for your money not reheated frozen friteur garbage.

I know you like to provoke, so ...
The majority of mountain restaurants in Austrian resorts that I have visited are producing traditional Austrian dishes.
Unless you're excluding Saalbach, Kitzbuhel and the Skiwelt (amongst others) from your mass tourist areas, I think you may be incorrect.
Burgers may be on the menu, but there are plenty of more traditional dishes too. You don't have to order them just because they're there you know. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
my limited research on zilleratal valley where it looks like we will end up on this occasion, is that there are nice traditional huts to be found eg lanersbach area or kaltenbach etc.

i will search some snowheads trip reports and am sure will find some recommended spots..

no burger n chips for me more a grostl type of guy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What is Ischgl like in March/April? Is it worth skiing?
snow conditions
Absolutely. March can be stunning. April is on average better than most ski resorts due to the height / snow making and piste preparation.
snow report
just to note Easter is fairly early this year, April 1st..... good option for those with families but may be busy and in higher demand...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy