Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New transfer bus fees at Geneva airport?

Poster: A snowHead
I was in Chamonix for a couple of days last week, catching up with friends. At one point I was chatting to a transfer driver, who was looking over some documents re. new fees for transfer buses running to and from Geneva airport.

Apparently new barriers are being installed on the way in to the area where transfer buses stop – and I saw the barriers, though they’re not operational at the moment. Every bus wanting to access this area, from 1st November (I think) will apparently need to have a pass – starting at @600EUR per year (I think there are some ‘PAYG’ options for buses using the area less frequently), but rapidly increasing to 1200EUR upwards for most mini-buses.

Anyone else head anything about this? The person I was speaking to was concerned about the financial impact on the firms with multiple vehicles frequently going to and from GVA – certainly in Chamonix there is already a lot of competition between firms, and I’d expect fairly tight margins for most of the operators.

I’ve heard a couple of the largest ones are planning on getting together to appeal en masse.

So, as someone who frequently uses transfers – anyone know anything? Ultimately this would likely end up as higher fares for passengers like me… (though quick calculations suggest small increases only).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn't surprise me - probably a result of taxi driver lobbying for greater "taxation" on their competition.

Even more of a ballache if firms decide to minimise fees by having a "local shuttle" that transfers you to/from your destination bus at a nearby service station.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In one fail swoop they remove the only redeeming feature of Geneva airport.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The major "redeeming feature" of Geneva airport is flights from a wide range of UK destinations - all year round, not just in the ski season - and fast access to a wide range of ski resorts.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, maybe, but I avoid it when I can. OTOH as for my last ski trip, next time I'll wind up at Grenoble, which is not exactly a paragon of airports.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Geneva is a splendid airport compared to Grenoble - in the middle of nowhere.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, I'll let Hells Bells know that Serre Chevalier is nowhere - likewise easiski and Les Deux Alpes. Fans of Alpe D'Huez and La Grave may also be distressed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grenoble is basic but the main problem is the lack of weekday flights to the provinces. So it has to be Geneva for me at the moment. If Grenoble upped its game on processing pax at passport control and through security it could be a winner as its the same time/distance to Tignes (and all resorts beyond Moutoers) as both Lyon and Geneva.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is this really that new or that much of an increase?

I seem to remember in previous years that every bus needed a pass costing €4/500.

If so then it just seems as though they're putting the barriers up to enforce it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
8 passengers x 5 returns x 7 days = 560 passenger trips ... at around €40 per trip (?)

CHF 1,200 to operate that service over a season?

A problem?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a minibus and drop people off and pick up from Geneva fairly often. Being able to just go down where the vans/coaches stop and wander into the terminal to meet people was a huge bonus.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@doddsie, blimey you scare easily. Wait until you hear what we've done with EU membership, you'll completely lose your mind.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John, more the refreshing change of going to Geneva airport, compared to the ball ache of doing the same thing at Luton.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@doddsie, got all your paperwork in place?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
The major "redeeming feature" of Geneva airport is flights from a wide range of destinations - all year round, not just in the ski season - and fast access to a wide range of ski resorts.

Fixed for you... no charge

Not everyone comes from the UK Cool
ski holidays
Fuss about nothing.
latest report
@achilles, thanks, for some of us Geneva is out of the way, and a lot further. I must admit if I fly, I would prefer Turin to Grenoble although from Newcastle, I can't fly to any of those unless I book a holiday with Crystal. There are going to be public coach services operating to Serre Chevalier, La Grave, Montgenevre, and other resorts at this end of the Alps at a very reasonable cost from Turin, Grenoble and Lyon airports next winter. probably just on Saturdays and Sundays, but it is a start. We do tend to pick up a hire car if we ever fly into Geneva.
ski holidays
Grenoble airport IS in the middle of nowhere and with few public transport services. I've driven to it several times, one time dropping passengers who only found out when we got to the airport that French ATC strikes had closed it (the email from easyJet arrived after we'd left). It was a considerable hike into a station for them to get a train (two changes) to Geneva. At least Chambery has a socking great supermarket very nearby. Of course Grenoble is more convenient for some southerly resorts - but it's over two hours drive from Serre Chevalier. Hardly "la porte a coté". And 40 minutes drive from Grenoble! And you pay extra for snow tyres on a hire car - should they be available.

I use Geneva a lot, year round. The proper bit, not the charter hub. I find very little to complain about and can even while away any waiting time by buying myself a pair of chic knickers for $300. wink Most airports are rubbish (Los Angeles, anyone?) but Geneva is probably one of the better ones. And car parking is considerably cheaper than Gatwick.
ski holidays
Hi

If it's the barrier I think you mean it's for access to the gare routiers so only for 9+ passenger seat vehicles anyway. At all other times we can use P33 for 25 CHF 20 hours. Not sure how they are going to work weekend big bus pickups as they usually use the gare Routieres.

Andy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy