Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
https://flic.kr/p/Fh6xud
Meanwhile at the other end of the EK the Pissaillas opened up for a morning of fresh tracks on the “dessert” followed by the Col Pers, though the gorges were shut hence the climb to avoid them.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chocksaway, after all the mega snow, can you now ski through the Eye-of-Needle?
(apologies if you've already mentioned this, but a quick scan of thread failed to find anything . . . )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonpim, Not been up there but I could see a band of rock at the sunny side from the top of Grand Huit, so it would be a jump!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BertieG, hope you didn’t climb too far, Wayne says you could get through the gorge today

http://www.alpineexperience.com/waynes-daily-diary/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, a dim question for you natives, but have only ever seen 'Taos' written, not heard it spoken. So how is it pronounced? Rhyming with 'cow'?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Otherworld, I asked exactly the same thing before the PSB. The consensus seems to be that it's Ta (as in thankyou) os. Two syllables. It's not French.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another bluebird morning.

What goes on on tour, stays on tour wink

Toodlepip, good luck in the traffic to G and Lady G.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was not a cloud in the sky today, so over to the Beatles:

Here comes the sun (doo doo doo doo)
Here comes the sun, and I say
It's all right

It was a cool and crisp morning but on the whole the pistes are still in magnificent shape. As the off piste is now tracked out it was time for a tour. So 3 of us launched from the top of the Palet Drag down towards Plan du Janin and then turned up to the Col De La Grassaz, so a good work out for my new touring kit. When we got to the Col this was the view down:

And then these two turned up and spoilt it (!):

Of course the reason you do all the work is so you can do this (as well as enjoy the views and the solitude:

Marvellous!

This is the Chalet des Aimes a full size one storey building with a pitched roof:

Not even the hare could get through the door!

We lunched on the steps of the Palet Refuge (closed till 27 Feb), Nico is going to have a job digging out by then!

In all there were 5 sets of tracks from yesterday and now there are 3 more. We saw no one else until we got back to the Palet. Another great day and so lets look at the forecast:

The sky will be mostly obscured by a thin layer of cloud, which may break up later. It will feel cooler than today but the winds will be mild. The frontal system seems to have slowed down a bit so Monday should be a sunny day with light winds and the temperatures will rise a bit. Fluffy clouds will encroach in the afternoon as the portent of doom (or bad weather). Tuesday will be snowy and windy, the air will be a bit warmer but you won't notice due to the windchill. The snowline will be way down the hill all week. Wednesday looks like a shocker, gale force winds and light snow, we might see the sun a bit but it will be academic. Expect a lot of the lifts to be shut. Thursday and Friday look similar.

For those flying out tomorrow, for once I can see no weather issues at any of the airports, as its Sunday the roads will be quiet. Bon Vol!

And finally, here is a picture of French Health and Safety in practice!

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shocked and more to come next week!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stevios, I’m not a Guide with over 30 years experience in VdI and the board at Le Fornet said that the gorges were closed so a ten minute climb was a small price to pay for 1000m of untracked snow! It also looked pretty dodgy to my untrained eye.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a day off today as I prepared for some mates arriving. There was a layer of high cloud this morning which did break up to leave sunny skies as people enjoyed piste skiing across the resorts.

So what is to come? Well the Atlantic charts are chaotic next week so really any forecast of more than 2 days is suspect and the amounts of snow forecast will ebb and flow. But I think its fair to say tomorrow will be the best day of the week. The temperatures will be similar to today and there will be variable amounts of cloud but there will be enough light for a decent days skiing. As we all go to the pub the sky will cloud over and if you have a decent session the wind will start to blow as you leave. Tuesday will be cloudy with moderate snow all day, the wind speeds will shut the high lifts, the air will be quite a bit warmer but you won't notice! This will continue into Wednesday when the winds are currently forecast to be even higher, potentially a day with little to do outside. We may get a respite on Thursday with sunny periods in the morning and snow showers in the afternoon. It will still be windy. Friday looks like being a day of fast moving snow showers and sunny spells. Stay tuned for changes and updates - its one of those weeks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We’ve been here since Saturday morning. Sat was amazing and after a cloudy start (spot on forecast Chocks) the sun came out and we finished with wall to wall dark blue skies.

Today (Monday) is stunning. Just about to head up with our fingers crossed that the storm won’t be as bad as it looks on the charts.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Coming down on Friday (mention on the weather thread) for my first time in Val, can't wait. We are on 6:50am tunnel and three drivers, so plan is to make hay on the auturoute as quickly as we can , but somewhat concerned about the last 40km of the drive Friday evening!

Am going to read through this thread in detail!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Me and the other half are keen to book up one of the microlight flights during our time in Val d (w/c 5th Feb). Does anyone have any advice in terms of the best way of booking?

I've assumed in resort, but i'm not sure if it's the kind of thing that you can rock up to on the day - or whether you need to book a few days in advance? Suspect the weather will play a part as well in terms of how booked up it gets
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In addition - a member of our group is unlikely to ski during our trip now (due to incoming child) Shocked, but is keen to check out the spas/other facilities that val d has to offer.

In terms of spas - does anyone have any recommendations of facilities which doesn't break the bank? Is there such a thing?!

Would also welcome recommendations for other things she should check out that is easily accessible from the town centre

Thanks in advance all!
snow conditions
@snow_mac, Val d'Isere run a few talks/tours each week that might be of interest. Usually a tour of the old village and a explanation of how the controlled avalanches are set off with the Catex system, Ive also seen advertised tours of how the Olympic gondola runs, a visit to the farm where they do a cheese making demo, wildlife walk in Fornet. Thursday night they shut the main street and have street entertainment.

Can't help much with about a spa but the Aquasportif centre might be worth a few visits.
ski holidays
@snow_mac - as muppet says there are usually tours and talks going on around and about town. The tourist center is a good source of information on stuff like that. Listening to Radio Val just after 08:00am has a weather report in English and details the events going on for the day.
The Aquasportif center has a spa, sauna & hammam. It is a lovely center and the pool area is pleasant for relaxing. Not outrageously expensive either. Otherwise there are quite a few, very expensive, spas in various hotels around town. A google search should reveal more information.
snow conditions
@snow_mac, I've not see Bellvarde Phillipe flying yet but Loic and Felix have been busy in Tignes just get to the bottom of the Grattalu lift. You can contact them by Messenger of phone 06 78 31 41 91. They both speak excellent English. Generally you can rock up if you wait a bit.
ski holidays
@muppet, @Vasta, @chocksaway,

thank you all! as usual, snowheads delivers!

@chocksaway, i'd heard of Loic and Felix in Tignes, but not Bellvarde Phillipe - so that's great!
snow report
@snow_mac, Have you seen this article from a reputable source (!):

http://valdiseretignes.edgemag.net/2017-04-10-microlight-flight-with-tignes-air-experience-meteo-mike-takes-to-the-skies/
snow report
Well it was an Oklahoma morning:

Oh, what a beautiful mornin'
Oh, what a beautiful day
I've got a beautiful feelin'
Everything's goin' my way

There were just a few clouds on the local mountain tops but eseentially a sunny but chilly morning. It was a charge round the pistes for me to day, but we did have time for a coffee in La Daille:

We then tried the newly regraded 'Red' Santons run, it is now so wide it is the easiest I have skied it. After a trip up the Solaise, L was the same. Over in Le Fornet the snow is equally as good, around 1pm the light started to go so we delayed lunch to make the most of it. It did get quite gloomy around 2 but then the sun made a brief reappearance which was handy as I skied home down Trolles. Throughout the two resorts the pistes are in great condition, though I did see 2 stones on Trolles. The off piste is now chopped and with a couple of surface freeze thaw cycles bits of it are very bumpy. If you are prepared to hike there are still some areas of reasonable snow. But we could do with a top up......

The cloud will rapidly fill the sky and light snow will start somewhere around dinner time this evening. Around midnight the wind will pick up and the snow intensity will increase. The official avalanche risk will rise to 3 in the morning and 4 by the end of play tomorrow afternoon. It will also be very windy tomorrow, tricky to say how much as the isobars are wiggling around but the high lifts will be shut and I wouldn't be surprised if the links are shut. Wednesday looks like a write off at the moment with 130kph winds in the villages and moderate snow all day. Thursday offers some hope, the winds will still be strong but we should have sunny spells in the morning and the afternoon will be cloudy. We are then looking at a couple of days of fast moving sunny spells and snow showers. But the temperature should drop markedly on Saturday.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Throughout the two resorts the pistes are in great condition, though I did see 2 stones on Trolles.

Mick & Keith?
snow report
Very Happy
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Looks lovely!

I wonder if they'll actually open Triffolet this season.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, Ahh forgot to mention that. It had been pisted this morning so I expect so. There was never enough snow last year to open it safely, as it doesn't have snow cannons there was never a base to build on.
ski holidays
oooo!! Maybe I'll actually get to ski it in March, first time ever.
latest report
10cm in the village overnight, 15 a bit higher. Very windy and almost a whiteout but plenty of lifts opening in the lower bits of the resorts. Given the current forecast is for higher winds it may be worth going out. wink
snow conditions
Went out just as a matter of principle !!!
High winds at top flat light but snow is excellent!!
Risk of closures warnings for connecting lifts so stayed in tignes
Jam bar now eating cake!!!
😎
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:

http://valdiseretignes.edgemag.net/2017-04-10-microlight-flight-with-tignes-air-experience-meteo-mike-takes-to-the-skies/

My girlfriend went up with Loic yesterday. She loved it and it was a bargain at €80.
snow conditions
Did a couple of La Daille loops via the slow chair (the bubble was closed due to the wind) but the viz deteriorated at the end of the morning and I decided I’d had the best of it. It had become very chopped up by then but had been superb to start with.

Just as I got up to the appt the snow stopped. Typical.

I wish I had seen the Trifollet was posted and open. I haven’t been down it for years.

Off to the spa now.

A bientôt
ski holidays
Etroits chair is now closed, as is Tommeuses.

Val high st is a Blizzard, so that’s where we are having lunch... in the Blizzard. Very nice it is too.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 16-01-18 17:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
1st off Chaudanne this morning heading to Breviere. Pistes were like off piste - boarders loved it, skiers less so, although snow was amazing.

Went up Toviere before lunch, windy and poor light, so a return to Lac, croqburger and call it a day.

Tomorrow supposed to be horrible, probably a day in the pool/sauna etc.
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

My girlfriend went up with Loic yesterday. She loved it and it was a bargain at €80.

I think it is very good value too - especially when compared to the bun j ride which is €75 for 3 seconds
snow conditions
Well today reminded me of the quotation there is no such thing as bad weather - just bad kit! There was very little colour to be seen - good job there were some 'loud jackets' about:

We headed up Palafour where it was blowing a gale in the whiteout with ice pellets thrown in for good measure, so a bit like Glenshee on a good day. There was some reasonably soft snow on piste but it soon bumped up and in the bad light cat like responses were essential. After that we headed amongst the trees to Les Boisses, where the visibility was better. After a 'savoyarde lunch' it was time for a siesta (multi-cultural day!). The resorts progressively shut the lifts as the wind speed increased, by mid afternoon the only way back to Val was by the Combe Folle drag or by bus the other way.

The snow will continue through the night and tomorrow, the wind speeds will increase and the avalanche risk for tomorrow is 4. So it ill be a very slow start, if indeed it starts at all, with avalanche blasting from first light. I wouldn't rush to be first into breakfast...... Every forecast I have seen shows a different amount of snow for the next 24 hours, pick a number between 20 and 60cm. One forecast even points to a glimpse of the sun just before dusk, mmmm. The wind will drop to manageable levels on Thursday but the sunny periods seem to have dropped out of Mother Nature's intentions. The snow will ease off through the day. Friday will be cloudy and snowy and quite windy, the snow intensity will vary. The air will be much colder on Saturday with fast moving snow showers, Sunday might just be a great start to a holiday.
ski holidays
@chocksaway thanks for the update, good to know what it is like on the ground whilst sat here in the office waiting for Friday to arrive! At least the latest forecast gives me more comfort for my drive up from Bourg late Friday afternoon!!
ski holidays
Never thought I'd ever say it but I'm glad I'm not in the EK just now. Conditions over the last couple of weeks sound challenging at best. Stay safe everyone.
snow report
I was having a beer with the lifties at the Rosée this afternoon. They aren’t expecting anything to open Val side tomorrow, due to the wind.
snow conditions
Day off planned for Wednesday doubt much will be open!!
Still rather be here skiing in a blizzard than sitting at home in the pouring rain!!
snow report
Bizzards here at home too... even Glenshee is getting pisted.
ski holidays
@moosepig, Yes they have been but we have also had 3 or 4 days excellent skiing and touring in the last fortnight.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy