Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
Brrrr it was cold today in fact here's Foreigner:

You're as cold as ice.

However the sun was shining, but cloud rose up from the valley through the morning. Luckily it was very thin so even now there is enough light to see. So to dodge the queues today we did 4 laps of the Col de Ves where there were freshtracks to be had, not that deep but good fun. The snow was not that light having been blasted by the wind so the legs have had a good workout!

As lunchtime approached and the jollidaymakers went to lunch the queues died down so we did 2 goes on the Palet Drag with similar results and finished off down Lognan which was in really good condition. The pistes are in great nick - just covered in people heading in seemingly random directions.

The forecasts are varying tomorrow over the amount of sun and cloud, I think it will be like today but more cloud will arrive quicker. What is agreed is that it will be a couple of degrees colder - so under the cloud it will be bone chilling. On Wednesday we see the clash of the titans, the current high pressure centred over Scandinavia versus a low pressure system over the Bay of Biscay. As ever these battles ebb and flow so don't be surprised if it changes. But at some stage in the morning it will start to warm up (to -8degs) and the cloud will thicken with light snow showers in the afternoon. Watch out for a strong wind building late afternoon. Thursday will be windy snowy and very cloudy, just a chance of a glimpse of the sun. The rain snow line will be well down the valley. Friday will be a day of heavy snow showers interspersed with the odd sunny period, especially in the afternoon. Saturday is still up for debate, but some snow is likely, high winds are probable but thanks to the much warmer air the rain snow line will be around the Dam initially, lowering towards the evening.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Griggs, Just a footnote to Moosepig's note. If you want a slightly lazier route to Paquis you can take the Rosset chair and head to the left, going down (carefully) through the Lavachet nursery slope to the Paquis chair. As the father of a 20-something year old who would happily ski a kilometre to avoid walking 100 metres I am very familiar with this particular route.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bogusman wrote:
@Griggs, Just a footnote to Moosepig's note. If you want a slightly lazier route to Paquis you can take the Rosset chair

This is especially useful if you're tired and need a really long sit down wink snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@moosepig, True dat.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well today was pretty similar to yesterday, but it was colder. There was a thin haze in the air and the clouds came up the valley around lunchtime, so the sun never really got a chance to warm things up. However there was more than enough light to enjoy the snow and the queues. After a ski round the Palet Sector, all pistes in great working order we went up the Col de Ves to access Grande Balme, where the snow was really quite compacted and chalky, hard work but the tracks looked OK from the bottom. A trip up Lanches followed where we spotted untracked stuff down Telegraph, a bit of a tricky traverse left us with some much nocer and lighter snow. We finished up coming back into Val Claret by the lower third of Petite Balme. By one o'clock we started to feel the cold so a run down Lognana and home. This is the view of the P1,2&3 couloirs from the top of Telegraph:

The various forecasting models are starting to agree about the next few days, so hopefully the conditions will resemble the following! After another frigid night we should wake to milky skies, the sun may peep through before clouding over is complete around lunchtime. Light snow showers will then start and the wind may pick up late afternoon. It will be quite a bit warmer but still well below zero at midday. The snow will continue until early morning on Thursday, which will be warmer with a cloudy morning and sunny spells in the afternoon, a cheeky breeze at altitude will make it feel cool up high. Friday will be a wintry day with snow all day and reasonably strong winds. And then its transfer day when we will have sunny spells and quite heavy snow showers from breakfast time. The all vital rain snow line will be around 1500m initially dropping to around Bourg. So snow chains or snow tyres will be required to leave and access the resorts. An early departure would be a great idea!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a day off today, but the weather was OK this morning with a few sunny periods. But it gradually clouded over and light snow started mid afternoon, the winds also picked up closing the Grande Motte. So all in all it was a bit miserable as I crossed the snowfront but there was a jazz band to cheer things up:

The light snow will continue all night, there may be some heavier showers in the small hours. It will gradually clear up and we may see some sunny spells after lunch, there will be a strong breeze at altitude. If you have a diesel car in an outdoor car park, tomorrow would be a good day to check it is OK. the garages are expecting a lot of work this weekend with waxed diesel and there may well be a long wait for a tow truck. Friday looks snowy and windy, initially the rain/snow line will be around Les Brevieres but it will drop towards Bourg in the afternoon. I don't think there will be significant accumulations but enough to freshen things up. After a clear night Saturday will be snowy and windy, it now looks a bit colder than we thought yesterday, so snow down to Bourg or thereabouts. This will no doubt create traffic problems as the authorities will be insisting on the proper equipment to leave the resort. The forecast for Sunday is unclear, maybe sunny periods with a few shower, it will be significantly warmer though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The morning was not that pleasant with snow, a breeze but much milder temperatures which made it feel damp. So we had a team coffee! And the plan was hatched to go touring after lunch. Obligingly the weather followed the forecast and it was a nice sunny afternoon and pleasantly warm. Tignes and Val appeared to be in a sunny spot, from altitude I'm not sure other resorts were so lucky. We went up Palafour courtesy of Doppelmayer as to skin up would have been like the wacky races. After donning the skins we went up to the Col de la Tourne where the views were fab:

By the time we descended there was a very light crust on the snow in the shade but the squiggles look good:

Tomorrow will be cloudy and snowy, the snow intensity will vary and there could well be a strong breeze at altitude. There may be the odd sunny period as all those leaving march back to the rental shop, on the plus side it shouldn't be too cold. Friday evening will be cold and clear (so the stuff on the roads will freeze) and light snow will start around midnight and continue all day. The all important rain snow line will be just above Seez so chains or snow tyres will be required to escape, given the origin of this weeks half termers clearly this will not happen and chaos on the roads is likely unless the Police are on the case. There will also be a gusty wind blowing the snow about reducing visibility on the roads. The light snow will continue until Sunday morning when the cloud should break to give sunny spells and pleasant temperatures. A strong wind at altitude will close the high lifts. The sky will cloud over on Sunday afternoon before a showery day on Monday with sunny spells between the showers which will be snow down to 1900m initially before quickly dropping down the valley. We should lose the wind on Tuesday, again it will be showers of snow with the sun appearing in between. After that it looks like a conveyor belt of unsettled weather.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well despite a small break in the weather that was over by lift opening, today was pretty miserable. Its been warm and snowy so not much has settled on the balcony, of course it will have on the pistes. The wind also picked up, our own Mr W said between Race 1 and 2 on the ESF stade the poles blew over. Not surprisingly the top lifts closed, likewise I didn't bother. I actually spent most of my time tracking a mate who is travelling from Munich to Geneva, currently he has been to Frankfurt and may well be on his way! About half past 4 the snow stopped and some folks got a good last run!

The synoptic charts are complicated at the moment so beyond tomorrow the timings of the weather changes will alter. So what's in store for transfer day?Well the skies will clear this evening so it will freeze hard. But the clouds will reappear and it will start snowing in the early hours; there will also be a gusty wind. The snow may well be quite heavy from around 7am. The rain/snow line will only just above Bourg. The snow will peter out in the afternoon to leave a cold night. Sunday should start with sunny spells and a few clouds, the cloud will thicken and kight snow will start again between afternoon tea and cocktail hour. The temperatures will be quite mild but a gusty wind at altitude will make it seem chilly out of the villages. Monday will start in a similar fashion, sunny periods, more cloud later and some snow with that wind at altitude. The sunny periods and snow showers will start early on Tuesday and continue all day and into Wednesday. As it is going to be relatively warm it might be a bit sleety down below the dam at times next week.

For the travel there is no song more appropriate than John Denver:

'Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again !!!!!

The first problem will be the diesels that won't start in the outdoor carpark, expect a queue for a tow truck. After a cold night and snow, snow tyres or chains will be mandatory to leave the villages, so expect arguments with the Police from certain quarters. There will be big queues down to Bourg, especially when people stop to put chains on in the middle of the road but once past Moutiers you should be OK. We are expecting 30000 cars coming in and the same going out, so there would be queues anyway. As the snow eases off in the afternoon it should get easier for those arriving. So I would leave before 6 (in fact I would go now!) and plan to arrive late. For the fliers expect delays and some chaos. Aircraft are out of position all over Europe after the last 2 days which will give the airlines scheduling and rostering of crew problems. The weather in the UK should be OK around the 'London 4' maybe freezing mist/fog will slow things down a little. Anyahere else there is a chance of a blustery snow shower, which if heavy will cause problems with runway clearing and de-icing. Over here Lyon and Grenoble look OK, if a bit damp. There is no airport specific forecast for Chambery, I am a little worried about the cloud base, we shall have to wait and see. The main problem is at Geneva where they re forecasting light snow all morning with temporary heavy showers of snow, so I would be surprised if there are not runway closures like today leading to delays, diversions and cancellations. It will warm up mid afternoon when the problems will be alleviated. Sorry, there is no way of dressing it up. Come armed with a heavy duty sense of humour!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm surprised at 30,000 coming in, as the school holidays are over this weekend.

Hoping for smoother travelling when we come back to Val next weekend.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker wrote:
I'm surprised at 30,000 coming in, as the school holidays are over this weekend.

Nope, they end next weekend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @chocksaway, we have friends arriving via Geneva lateish on today- we wait and see if the arrive before midnight.

Forgot that we still had another week in holidays....I was so hoping to get the pistes back to ourselves. Not much of a break between half term and Easter holidays this year....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok a little confused. Coming on the 17th for 2 weeks. Just tried to book parking and they are all saying full? Never had that before. Is it really busy out there?
What’s the chances of me finding a space down on 1800. Would rather not be outside with all the snow this year but I’ve always got a shovel in the van.
Thought of course it’s going to be clear blue skies and no wind. Had enough of that in Jan lol
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Timg60, Its a busy week because of European Gay Pride and The World Cup Half Pipe Competition. The latter takes up half of the Grand Motte car park with all the media and paraphernalia, plus all the competitors, sponsors etc will have been guaranteed parking.

Not sure about 1800, there is still lots of snow on the road and the car park was chocker this morning as I went past in the bubble. There is always Brev...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mmmm. Think I need to get there early on in the day just easier to get a bus from 1800. Can’t fit in the car park under the bec anymore 😔
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well today's song title has to come from Rivers Cuomo:

Though the air is cold and damp
Yet still you want to go

Normally I would probably have stopped in bed but when a chum visits for 6 days......The snow was a bit late arriving so the early birds got away, but it started soon after the lifts open causing carnage on the roads, they are still queuing to get past Moutiers now (4pm). It was quite warm out of the wind but th visibility was bad so it was down for a couple of laps of La Daille before coffee, when it started to snow really heavily:

It was really tricky so next stop was the Aspen in the hope it would get better. Sadly. So we worked round the Palet sector and down to Boisses. By then everything was getting a bit moist so it was time to come home!

The snow will peter out shortly giving hope for those heading into the valley, that's if their flight wasn't cancelled into Geneva which looked a bit chaotic this morning. After a clear night tomorrow will start with sunny spells and potential for 20cm of fresh on high, it won't be light powder thanks to the temperatures and the wind that has built up this afternoon, but there will be plenty of freshies. The wind will build up again around lunchtime and the cloud will progressively obscure the sky. Light snow showers will start after dinner. After a snowy night there may be the odd sunny period on Monday morning, it will be windy and the cloud will thicken and snow should fall again after lunch. Tuesday will be cloudy most likely with light snow showers all day. Wednesday will be mainly showery snow, the sun may pop out.

For those travelling tomorrow the good news is the weather over here will be much better for flying, after very early fog clears at Geneva I can't see any issues. In the UK there is a decent chance of early fog at Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds Bradford and Stansted which may slow things up if it persists. Any precipitation will be wet until you get to Newcastle and Scotland where some sleet showers may cause minor delays. Hopefully all the aircraft will be in the right place by this evening!
ski holidays
The weather this morning is best described by Willie Nelson:

Blue skies smilin' at me
Nothin' but blue skies do I see

It was great. The official scores on the doors were 17cm in the village and 25cm at altitude. This means the pistes are once again in fabulous condition, they did bump up a bit in the afternoon. By the morning miracles will have occurred and they will be like velvet. Off piste was a complete mix, as it was warm lower down and the wind blew strongly on high there was some very heavy stuff and under lee slopes it was much softer (but dangerous on steep slopes). We did see some natural avalanche activity and some pisteur induced slips and quite a lot of people playing Russian Roulette. The best snow was off the side of Genepi:

The sky did cloud over as the afternoon progressed and will be the main feature tomorrow. The wind picked up mid morning and is blowing quite hard now. The weather systems over the next few days are quite benign so any snow will be light, sometimes it may be so light it doesn't happen. So Monday will be cloudy, mild and the wind will vanish. Expect some progressive opening in the morning as the pisteurs rearrange the snow that the wind has moved today. There may be light snow in the afternoon. Tuesday will be the same as Monday. Simples! Wednesday looks a bit snowier and the wind will be strong at altitude, expect high lifts to close. The air will be a bit cooler and with the wind you will feel the cold. The jury is still out on Thursday's weather - best guess sunny periods and snow showers.
snow report
A mixed day today for a charge round the pistes. As the light was half reasonable over breakfast we dashed down into La Daille and hopped on the bus to Le Fornet and onto the glacier. The place was deserted and the pistes were just like corduroy. So as Maverick said to Goose:

I feel the need, the need for speed.

Lap after lap of high speed cruising - just wonderful. The light was variable as bits of cloud floated about and there was a chill breeze above 2800m. Progressively the cloud thickened and the light deteriorated - here's a view from the Cascades Terrace at Pissaillas - managed to catch a snow finch - it was good enough for them to fly:

We worked our way down the Solaise and back to Tignes and by early afternoon there were some light flocons floating about. But by 3.30pm there were a few breaks and some quite decent light.

It will be predominately cloudy tonight and this will continue into tomorrow which will be pretty much like today. A chance of a light snow shower at anytime, but perhaps a glimpse of the sun again in the afternoon. Wednesday will not be much different, the different forecasts are giving the showers of snow and sunny periods at differing times. Look out of the window but watch out for the wind picking up in the afternoon. Thursday morning looks better with thinner cloud which will thicken in the afternoon to give the odd lights shower. Friday will be warmer and there may bethe odd sleet shower in the villages, snow higher. The sun is currently forecast to make an appearance in the afternoon, fingers crossed!
snow report
Ahh I've had many a pit stop at the Cascades - usually the view is a bit better though! I'm watching all these reports like a hawk now, the countdown is on! Just 6 days and I'll be there woo-hoooooooo!
snow conditions
It was snowing lightly when we woke this morning and that has continued all day. The big variable was the light, from really flat to decent, the sun was never more than milky in places but at times it was much better than yesterday. In fact it was much like this photo of Petite Balme from the top of the Toviere:

However by 3pm it was definitely worse. We skied down to Boisses and then to Brevieres where the last 200m vertical was a little firm. There was also a decent queue for the bubble so we took the ancient chair back to Boisses where the Bubble promptly broke down and needed some attention from a hammer. Luckily the bus to Lac appeared right on cue. After coffee we took Lanches and Vanoises where the wind picked up and turned it into a winters day. Lunch was taken in La Daille and todays song is dedicated to the fashion victim in the queue for the bubble - take it away Englebert:

Please, release me, let me go

Yip, you guessed it, the braces to his sallopettes were dangling and got caught in the turnstile. By the time he realised the next guy had come through and it was a proper mess. After the 20th person had gone through the other turnstile giggling, I am sure he was not feeling like one of the cool kids! We finished the day with a tour of the Palet sector.

Tomorrow will be pretty much like today, there may well be better sunny spells mid morning, but no guarantees. The wind will pick up in the afternoon and there looks like there will be a few more light snow showers and it will be a bit cooler. Thursday can be summed up in one word: Cloudy. Friday morning will be cloudy and windy but hopefully the skies will clear mid afternoon to give a couple of good last runs. And guess what Saturday is transfer day so expect wind, snow showers and sunny periods. Luckily it looks like it is going to be warmish so the snow/rain line will be no lower than then Brevieres (early) and then may be as high as Lac. So possibly snow chains for the last kilometre. At least the chaos will be limited to the villages.
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Great story about the sallopettes!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Lunch was taken in La Daille and todays song is dedicated to the fashion victim in the queue for the bubble - take it away Englebert:

Please, release me, let me go

Yip, you guessed it, the braces to his sallopettes were dangling and got caught in the turnstile. By the time he realised the next guy had come through and it was a proper mess. After the 20th person had gone through the other turnstile giggling, I am sure he was not feeling like one of the cool kids!

Sales Rep "Don't worry. This lift system is idiot-proof!"

3 months later
Liftie "They should have tested it on bigger idiots!" Laughing
ski holidays
Well as Forrest Gump said:

“My mom always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.”

As the lifts opened it was snowing quite heavily and there was a strong breeze above 2600m so after a couple of laps of Palafour I dropped back into Le Lac to meet 3 more sHs who had a bit of an issue with getting out of bed. And then the snow stopped and the clouds parted to leave a nice morning, so who was the daft one? There were a lot of clouds about but enough gaps to provide more than enough definition. It was strictly a piste day so we popped down to the Funival, then over to Grand Pré and down Santons into Val D'Isere and up the Solaise for a coffee at the top of the Gondola. We then did a couple of laps of the Glacier chair before retiring for lunch. There was another snow shower whilst we ate, the sun reappeared for a trip down L, the bus to the Olympique and down to Tommeuses. Half way up the lift the sun disappeared and it started snowing heavily again and the light went flat which made Henri a nightmare with the crowds. Underfoot the pistes are fabulous (yes even Santons), off piste there was some nice fresh when you could see it. This is a view of Piste L when we had another brief shower:

The prevailing weather system is still lackadaisical, so tomorrow's weather looks better. However, I would not be surprised if it remained cloudy. After a windy and snowy night we should wake to blue skies but the sky wil develop a milky haze and it will cloud over for the afternoon, it will be a little warmer and there should be less wind. Friday looks like a day of sunny periods, with clouds on the peaks. It will feel warm out of any light breezes. its all change on Saturday when we are expecting rain and snow. It will be much warmer so the rain snow line is likely to be about 2000m, which is OK for the cars on the road but it will play havoc with the snow low down and make avalanche forecasting very difficult. Of course the snow will be fresher and lighter above 2500m or so. There may well be a lot of blasting, especially if wet heavy snow is threatening the roads. Sunday will be a day of showers and sunny perods, again it is likely to be rain in the villages until late afternoon, the winds will make it feel doubly unpleasant.
latest report
@chocksaway, See you at the weekend..... (there goes the neighbourhood! wink )
latest report
Quick and probably odd question - what are the walking conditions in Le Lac?
I'm part of a group of 5 arriving on Saturday, staying in Le Lac @ Hotel Gentiana. We love the food at the hotel Very Happy One of our group managed to break a leg and arm so will be on crutches. They are now concerned that with all the great snow that has been dumped (rest of the group are really excited) they will struggle to get around the resort. What's the collective view on walking conditions in and around Le Lac and Val Claret?
snow conditions
@Steveee, Just heard last night that a friend may have done his knee in slipping on ice. Probably a fair bit of freeze/thaw going on with the temperature variations at the moment. Might seem a bit nerdy but maybe get some of those cat track "spikes" that you place under the soles of your boots or shoes.

edit, can you get crutches with tungsten tipped spikes on the end? Puzzled
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:
@Steveee, edit, can you get crutches with tungsten tipped spikes on the end? Puzzled

May be an issue getting those onto the plane Toofy Grin
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:

We got some in Tignes a few years ago. The pharmacy near the Doctors.
latest report
@Steveee, Laughing Laughing Laughing

@Ray Zorro, Snowheads......... the font of all knowledge!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking out of my window at The Gentiana the water is running down the road and to a certain extent the pavement. But cos we have so much snow piled up the melt and freeze is continuing onto the pavements further into the season. I think prudence is required. If your mate can manage without crutches but use ski poles the ski rando poles have very sharp pointy ends - they are about 40-45 € so may be cheaper (Mountain Attitude is almost next door to the Pharmacy) and hopefuly of more use next year!
latest report
Well today was a much better day than all the forecasts. Barely a cloud in the sky until a very thin layer of cloud appeared mid afternoon. There had also been some heavy snow showers last evening, leaving 11cm of new snow in the village and 30cm on the Grande Motte. So everybody was on the slopes and in the queues. So I was trying to achieve the opposite of The Mama's and The Papas:

I'm in with the in crowd
I go where the in crowd goes

It took all the experience of the 'pulse of the resort' to avoid them. We skied around the Palet sector initially until it got busy and then headed down to La Daille, the only quiet sector we found! A pleasant morning coffee was taken in the sun and then it was back to try and get to the top of the Grand Motte over lunchtime. Even then the queue for the Cable Car was too long, but it did mean Face was deserted as we came down:

After lunch it was a gentle cruise home. Initially the pistes were fabulous but mogulled up through the day, the piste bashers will sort that later. Off piste there was a variety of depths, but a very good day.

Tomorrow will start sunny and bubbly clouds will build on the peaks through the day. It will be warm by lunchtime, a breeze from the south may pick up in the afternoon. Saturday's forecast is now a little better, it will start with light rain showers to round 2400m and it will be windy. Around lunchtime the skies will clear a bit and sunny periods should develop before more rain up to 2000m in the evening. So not so bad for the travel but it will make for a miserable morning in the villages and a complex avalanche picture: rising temperatures, wind, rain and snow will mean a busy day at Meteo France in Bourg tomorrow. Sunday will be cloudy windy and snowy. It will be raining to around 1800m so again miserable lower down and with the wind not much better on high. However, there will be new snow on high!Monday looks like a mixed bag, sunshine, showers and plenty of wind. The rain/snow level will start low, rise to the Dam and then sink again in the afternoon. mid week currently looks much better.
latest report
Ray Zorro wrote:
GeorgeVII wrote:

We got some in Tignes a few years ago. The pharmacy near the Doctors.

They are still on stock!
Picked some up for a client this afternoon rolling eyes
ski holidays
We woke to a veiled sky this morning which we were all expecting to break up by 10am. So we set off for Val D'Isere for a skinning trip up Mont Roup. Sadly the clearance did not happen until after lunch so we aborted and I set off for Bourg to do the shopping. The big news is how warm it is, Bourg still has snow but there was a definite feeling of spring down there. The crocuses are pushing their way through and the birds were in full song. As I type it is 10 degsC in Le Lac, that's 30 degs more than early morning 10 days ago! The icicles are dropping all around and there is Chinese water torture going on in my back bedroom as it drips onto the Velux. If you look at the photo you can see EDF have been preparing for the 'big thaw' as the Lac du Chevril is nearly empty, you can see most of the old bridge in the La Daille gorge:

And now for the weather, it doesn't really matter which song as long as its by:

Wet Wet Wet!

There is no sugar coating it, tomorrow in the villages is going to be miserable. It will start raining up to 2200m after midnight and then up to 2500m by lunchtime or thereabouts. It will be cloudy all day and the wind will pick up in the afternoon. The sun may peak out in the afternoon. This is going to cause havoc in the snowpack and the avalanche report is one of the longest I have seen. It will be risk level 3 rising to 4 below 2300m by lunchtime. The forecaster (Thierry Arnou) discusses records: the lower part of the snow pack has hard layers not seen for 40 years and fragile layers formed during the polar blast - one of the coldest in 20 years. Down low the rapid thaw and rain means stay on the piste! There may be a chance that they have to blast areas above the roads. Sunday will be cloudy, breezy and snowy down to 1800m, the sun may pop out in the afternoon for a bit. Monday will also be snowy down to 1400m, it will be breexy and the sun may appear in the morning this time. Tuesday looks like a day of sunny periods and snow showers down to 1400m. So spring may have sprung today but winter is not yet over. The rest of the week looks unsettled.

For the travellers, providing overnight fog clears at Bristol, Leeds, Luton and Stansted (it is forecast to go by 5am) the only thing you need worry about is getting wet as you cross the carpark or stand in the queue at passport control. Some of the showers will be heavy (especially the Manchester soakers). Over here it is the same but the cloud and visibility is forecast to be fit for flying at Chambery. The roads will be busy (a bit busier than last week) with 31000 vehicles on the way up and 32000 on the way down. This level of traffic will mean slow moving traffic at the usual spots but snow chains will probably not be required! On the slopes the accom bookings are less than last week so hopefully a bit quieter.
snow report
As I emerged from the duvet it was just snowing in Tignes, but you didn't have to drop far to fingd rain. Luckily for us we missed most of the precipitation as it passed a bit further north. There were a few sunny periods in the early afternoon demonstrated in the picture of The Grande Sassiere. I did pop out to the Aeroclub Barbie but they had cancelled too early(should get a decent forecast!!). The thaw continues and a warm wind has transformed the sno off piste, I expect it will have a hard crust in the morning. The ppistes were soft.

Tomorrow will be windy, snowy down to 1800m and very cloudy. We may see the sun for a few minutes towards lift closing. The temperature will also drop 3 or 4 degrees so with the wind another layer would be in order. As the wind will pick up tonight expect a progressive opening as the pisteurs work their magic. I expect the high lifts to be closed. Monday will be windy and sunny periods and snow showers down to 1400m will come and go all day, again another couple of degrees cooler. Tuesday looks similar to Monday, another couple of degrees cooler andsnow showers down to Bourg. Currently, Wednesday looks like the best day of the week, warmer, sunny and less wind; fluffy clouds will build up in the afternoon. Beyond that it appears to be quite unsettled.

For the fliers tomorrow, there is a chance of fog at nearly all the UK airports. Somewhere will cop for it, but, as ever, its a lottery as to where as fog is so fickle. So there may be some delays. Over here it looks OK for flying but there is a strong chance of getting wet as you head for the buses.
latest report
@chocksaway, I'm quite amused by the idea of a Tignes Aeroclub BBQ - is it near the top of the Tichot lift? They should have a decent idea of the weather.... I flew from there to Courchevel and back about 20 years ago in a Jodel Mousquetaire and the biggest challenge was spotting the landing piste in Tignes at the end. It was a blue sky day and the views of the Alps were spectacular.
snow conditions
@Alastair, That's the one. The 2 microlighting brothers fly every day when it is fit, there is another fixed wing microlight and a couple of helos in the hangar too. Plus visitors fly in fixed wing quite often.
snow report
@chocksaway, thanks for the weather updater, hope Gatwick's not foggy tomorrow. Cannot waaaaaaaaaaiitttt!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
6 days and counting ❄️❄️❄️❄️
snow conditions
Warm and wet - that sums up this morning. So I completed the domestic trivia ahead of mates arriving and then 3 of us went for a skin. To mangle Noel Coward:

Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday fog!

The problem was to go low meant it would be too wet, high was damp snow, wind and fog. Anyway we succeeded in some limited visibility navigation, kept warm and got some exercise. We are now getting proper snow in the village rather than sleet. Conditions on piste are soft, off piste the warm winds have transformed the snow (we were up at 2800m), if it cools down there may be some powder below that - but not much. Conditions will be tricky.

Tomorrow looks like being windy (high lifts closed) with sunny periods and snow showers. There may be a tempting break around breakfast time, the snow will intensify in the afternoon. Luckily the snow will continue all the way down to Les Brevieres. Expect a progressive start in the morning as the pisteurs check everything is safe. Tuesday also looks windy with sunny periods but quite a bit of cloud about, maybe the odd light shower. After a cold night Wednesday looks great, blue skies and sunshine (its been a while!). Thursday looks OK to start with but it looks like being very windy ahead of more snow in the afternoon. It then looks unsettled for a bit.
latest report
It was pretty much a white out again although there was a break around 11am which allowed some reasonable skiing. It was windy aloft so we stayed relatively low. The pistes were hard beneath a 7cm layer of fresh snow down to 1900m where it turned into something resembling porridge. Off piste felt pretty similar. I am sure that when the higher areas are accessible the fresh snow will be better. Around 1230 it really started hammering it down so discretion overrode valour!

Tomorrow will be cloudy with a strong breeze especially around lunchtime. It may be snowy or it may just be grey - we are right on the edge of the band of weather and the differing forecasts can't decide - I'll settle for light snow. It could go either way. They do agree that Wednesday is going to be the best day of the week, blue skies and sunshine after a cold night, it will warm up around lunchtime. Winter returns on Thursday, breezy snowy and cloudy. The jury is still out on Friday, it could be sunny periods or there could be snow showers - stay tuned. The weekend will be a bit coller and unsettled.
ski holidays
chocksaway, the same sort of day here in La Plagne, and we did the same as you: back home for lunch.

Thank you so much for your super weather forecasts and review of your day. We rely in them.
And we might see you on Wednesday, and then have a Cunning Plan of how to deal with Thursday . . . wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy