Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

All the new development at 1800 is undoubtedly a good thing but it is definitely making life more difficult for old-school Boisses-ites.

ain't that the truth...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But the Boisses bubble is getting twice as many bubbles this summer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
double bubble
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chocksaway, And thats a good thing. No doubt. But it doesn't really matter how many bubbles there are if none of them is moving.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obligingly the weather front approaching us slowed down overnight so we had a morning of mostly sunshine, followed by a milky sky. The light faded rapidly as I came back from Bourg at 4 o'clock. However, there was a sharp breeze at altitude which did redistribute some snow. This morning the pistes were in fabulous condition. As more of the resorts are open there was less 'bumping up' of the runs. Off piste is a different matter, we went on a search and found everything from frozen crud (almost anywhere) to untracked powder turns on Cairn (OK there was only 8 of them but you have to celebrate every success!). We did get to th etop of the funiculaire but to describe that I have too resort to the Beach Boys:

Let's go surfin' now
Everybody's learning how
Come on and safari with me

As you can see in the picture we were surfing the sastrugi, mercifully they were quite soft:

The weather front that is now with us has weakened significantly and it is waving around tomorrow in a lackadaisical fashion. This means a few things, we are now only expecting around 8-10cm of snow and tying down the timing of the passage of the clouds is a variable feast. So here goes: We should have a cloudy night, there may be the odd sunny period in the early morning but then it will cloud over and we will have light snow on and off for most of the day, there may be a glimpse of the sun just before Happy Hour. It will be breezy at altitude. The wind will disappear on Saturday which will start with sunny periods before the clouds essentially vanish around lunchtime until Wednesday. Yip four bluebird days getting warmer by the day. Think March and beers on the terrace if you are packing to come away, but pack the odd layer as it cools down and becomes snowy again at the end of the week.

For the weather anoraks (like me) Tignes has just announced that we have had 2.72 meters of snow in January (which is not yet over......). This is more snow than any month since accurate records began in 1981.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm out in the morning for 4 days. Have packed my sunglasses Cool

My brother is having snowboard lessons from Leo Taillefer's brother (Romain) so we will likely be lunching at the Rosée most days (Sun-Tues) or Le Petit Cuisine (Folie). Come and say if you are in the area. I'll be in a red and bluey-grey Oakley outfit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't wait to get out there. Arriving tomorrow as well, daytime train all the way. Looks like I've got the timing right for the sun.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heading out tomorrow, mostly packed!

Hoping to avoid divorce proceedings, apart from Santons (done in lessons a long time ago) any pistes I should "just say no" to if suggested by DH? Once I've got my ski legs back...

I'm generally ok with Sella Ronda blacks and did Trolles and Descente last time I was in Tignes. Can generally deal with steep but narrow with edges more of a psychological issue.

Bumps work in progress- end of day pitch down from Portavescovo in Arabba was ok if not elegant - no splats or tears - generally making progress to avoid an expensive taxi so not slow either!

On my "dubious" list so far are Foret and Silene (stories of car sized moguls). Should any others be avoided?

Thanks!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Funny old day, lots of grey, a little bit of snow, the odd glimpse of the sun and very warm in the villages, but a sharp breeze at 2500m which I discovered as I went skinning for a spot of exercise to burn off the Burn's Night! Typically as I went out it was grey so no photo opportunities today.

So with out further ado the weather, after a little bit more snow this evening tomorrow will be a pleasant day of sunny periods and light winds, a good day for travelling and an even better day for those not travelling as it will be nice and quiet! Sunday - blue skies and sunshine an warm, Monday will be the same but even warmer. Now mid week there are changes afoot by the end of the week winter will return but the various weather models cannot even agree on Tuesday's weather, I'll let you know when they decide. Expect your app to fluctuate wildly.

For the travellers, the Tarentaise region expects 18000 vehicles heading home which shouldn't cause too many headaches. But the 25000 coming up should expect some delays mid afternoon, especially around Moutiers. Just watch out for fog down the valley around Grenoble - it may well be patchy For the fliers it will be windy and bumpy up north and in Scotland and wet. Down south it will be dank and drizzly and there is a slim chance of fog at any of the London airports and Birmingham but only until about 9am. It will probably happen somewhere which will cause a few delays where - who knows? Over here Chambery is forecasting a slim chance of fog early doors, if this does appear expect a wait on the ground in the UK until it clears, Grenoble has a reasonable chance of quite thick fog, again this would cause delays. Geneva and Lyon shouldn't have any problems. Bon vol!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The skies looked ominous this morning but the sun came out to leave a great day. I was expecting to be sat here writing how the off piste was effectively finished but thanks to a heavy snow shower late last night there were some really nice patches in the gullies, not deep but very flattering. Even on the pistes there was just a few centimetres of fresh so as David Bowie sang:

We can be heroes, just for one day!!!

We tried all over with the same results, perhaps the best snow was high on the Grand Motte, the photo is of piste Leisse as you can see - fresh tracks for all. As it has been very warm I'm not sure it will last long. However, the pistes remain in fabulous condition all the way across the resorts,, a great week for learning next week

Tomorrow will be fabulous, blue skies, sunshine and of will be a couple of degrees warmer then today. Monday repeat - add another couple of degrees, potential for bikinis on the terraces. Tuesday now the same as Monday (you can see why weather forecasters love high pressure days!). Wednesday will start OK but the wind and the cloud will build up and it should start snowing in the afternoon. Acouple of snowy and windy days follow that.

For the travellers tomorrow, nothing for the roads other than the chance of fog beyond Lyon. The airports in the UK all look OK but it will be increasingly windy and wet the further north you go. Over here there is a reasonable chance of fog at any of the 4 airports which will cause delays if it forms. If it happens at Chambery then you will probably wait on the ground in the UK.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So the week ended on a high. Bogus Junior headed off towards Fornet and later reported wonderful conditions throughout. I bimbled around between Lac and Val Claret before meeting Mrs B in Val Claret. Mrs B doesn't ski due to horribly dodgy knees so I parked my skis at the lift pass office and we headed up the funicular for lunch at the base of the glacier. The sky was that spectacular version of clear blue that you only get in the high mountains and we just drank it all in. Then down the funicular again to meet LMB from her lesson with Claude of Evo2. Fed her pizza and then back up the funicular so she could come down Genepy in the sunshine. And if you can think of a better definition of happiness than that I want to hear it.

Going home tomorrow. It's been an interesting week, from complete shut down on Monday to glorious April conditions today. I've never seen so much snow as I have this week. It has actually changed the contours of the area. There are places where there are fences to stop you skiing under chair lifts because skiers would be in danger of losing their heads. If you park your skis in front of the Maison you realise that they are at the same level as the top of the lamp posts.

God only knows what weather the next couple of months will bring but here is no doubt that Tignes will run out of skiers before it runs out of snow this year.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One word today - Cugnai.

OMG
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We woke to blues skies and sunshine this morning, a very pleasant day. However, as the mates departed for Geneva there was a lot of work to do so here is the view from Widow Twanky's alpine laundry:

Yes, I would rather have been out there but I am sure the pistes were in fine condition, I didn't see many people off piste which suggests it has all settled or become very crusty. There are still some spring style avalanche worries, Triffolet has been closed because of the large cracks above it.

High pressure continues to dominate and tomorrow will be like today, and a couple of degrees warmer. Tuesday may start with a milky sky but this will soon burn off to leave another great day. Wednesday morning will be similarly nice but the wind should pick up in the afternoon and some clouds will start to appear as you think about coming home. Thursday will be windy, cold and snowy, potentially heavy snow and the snowline will be well down the mountain. There might be the odd glimpse of the sun. Its all a bit unsure as to what's happening on Friday and Saturday, it looks wintery with some snow but stay tuned as the forecasts firm up a bit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well there is really only one song today - Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the Electric Light Orchestra:

Sun is shinin' in the sky
There ain't a cloud in sight
It's stopped snowin' everybody's in a play
And don't you know
It's a beautiful new day, hey hey

And it was unseasonably warm! First off we set off up Lanches to try and find some of the last tracts of cold light snow, the run down into Leisses was tracked out but down towards Genepy some of the secret stashes remained. But thanks to secret intelligence we knew the Col des Ves was opening for the first time this season (they have finally dug it out and made the pistes safe). To be fair we were nearly a minute late so on the 4th chair but managed to overtake most to grab first tracks in the bowl off Pramecou. The other tracks in the photo belong to pisteurs! We did that twice and of course the Col des Ves chair allows access to La Grande Balme (without a hike) so again virtually untacked swathes of compacted chalky powder. The second run down here was slightly spoilt by the group of 12(!) above me who congregated on the open slope in a huddle - (talk about how to load a slope) and then set off together, without backpacks. Darwin is entitled to his share but I really don't want to go with them. Oh I should mention the pistes - still in fab condition throughout the resorts.

PS The French Olympic mogullers are practicing this week ahead of South Korea - watch out for them on Lognan.

There may be the odd fluffy cloud at breakfast time in the morning but effectively it will be another 'ELO' day with similar temperatures to today. It all starts to change on Wednesday when it will be cooler but we should have a sunny start followed by fluffy clouds with the wind building in strength, followed by snow showers in the evening. Thursday will be much colder again, windy and snowy, the heaviest snow looks like it will arrive before morning coffee. Friday and Saturday both look cloudy and windy with light snow but the confidence in the forecast is not high so expect changes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is as good as it gets. No wind, dark blue skies and no crowds. The pistes are superb and there are still bits of untracked to be found.

If Carlsberg did ski days....
latest report
Well it was another bluebird today so it was out with the skins to earn the turns. So off we pooped up the Grand Motte and descended from the glacier into the valley below. I cant think of a more appropriate song to describe the photograph than 'The Shadows' cover of "Knights 'on' White Satin". (Sorry!!)

We cut off Piste Leisses and you can just about see our tracks into the valley above the shadow off the old bloke at the back with the stoop..... After reaching the valley floor on excellent snow we aimed to skin up to the Col between Pointe Boussac and Pointe de la Grand Pré but the conditions at the top were less than favourable (hard crusty snow with thin cover) so we didn't quite summit, but the tracks down were good!

Basically we then traversed down the valley to the east of Piste Genepy where there was a nice spot for lunch:

From here you could see the STGM staff repairing the Cable Car. And finally some fresh tracks down a gully less than 70m from Piste Genepy:

So what does the forecast bring? Beyond Thursday there is only confusion so things will change. The models are disagreeing so here goes with a middle of the road guesstimate. However, they do all agree that tomorrow will be like today, enjoy it while it lasts. A breeze will pick up in the late afternoon and cloud will start to form ahead of snow starting in the early hours of Thursday, the heaviest snow will be in the morning and the temperatures will drop significantly, together with the wind it will feel like winter again, at a guess somewhere between 10 and 20cm at the moment. Friday is a conundrum, it may be sunny in he morning, or it could well be cloudy with the odd flocon. But the wind will have dropped off but it will still be cold. For the weekend the confidence in the forecast is so low its really not worth typing, just about anything could happen.
snow report
@chocksaway, Never mind the weather, that suit could brighten up the dullest of days wink Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Anyone who knows if the lift to the top of the Grande Motte will open this week? Would be nice to go up there. Last time i was in Tignes it was closed aswell. Confused
ski holidays
@Bülow, Not sure, but there was a lot of work going on this morning rerouting the motor cables on to the 'running wheels' that dangle from the suspension cables. By lunchtime the 2 cars were about a third of the way from the base stations, so fingers crossed.
snow report
anyone going to post " the" picture?
ski holidays
I wanna see it!!
snow report
You may regret asking...

snow conditions
Oh THAT, haha - yes saw that on Twitter. Well done students, good effort.
ski holidays
Ooooooh Matron No!

Anyway its been another busy day, mostly blue skies this morning by the afternoon there was quite a lot of cloud to the north - some interesting shapes for the cloud spotters. But nothing to spoil the day. I was out on another Evo2 adventure, given the conditions no one was expecting fresh powder but we did find some good snow, as well as some spring like stuff (some of which had refrozen). We had a trip up Col de Ves - chalky snow on the north facing slopes and then it was onto Couloir de Chardonnet Classique (or Chardo) which to get to invokes Brandi Carlile:

The hill I'm walkin' up is gettin' good and steep

We were quite warm by the time we got to the top but once 'over the edge' the descent is steeper but the snow was in good condition, if tracked out:

After a wander around the Aiguille Percee and Skiman Couloir it was lunchtime, even that was off piste followed by freshtracks (we did have to call in at the Sherpa to get the chips!):

The afternoon was made up of two trips onto the Grande Balme, first the wide open classic face and then one of the steeper couloirs. Again the snow is tracked out but in good condition.

Because the atmosphere seems to be in a pernicious mood the forecast is going to change again. Even our instructor today kept remarking how his app changes every time he looks at it. As there are various models that drive the apps it depends which yours uses. However, they are agreeing that the clouds will build up tonight and it is going to start snowing in the early hours and continue to snow until late afternoon, maybe later. The wind will be quite strong in the morning, but it will abate. The mercury is also going to plunge so tomorrow will require a few more layers. A day for the trees methinks as the snow should be light to the bottom reaches of the resorts as the freezing level will be down in Bourg. Friday currently looks like sunny periods in the morning and light snow showers later but don't be surprised if that swaps round. Saturday will be mostly cloudy, maybe the odd glimpse of the sun and perhaps a snow shower in the afternoon. Sunday currently looks like a day of sunny periods, with maybe the odd snow shower in between. Sorry to be so vague but weeks like this are a forecasters nightmare. After tomorrow it will probably a case of look out of the window! But tomorrows top tip is wrap up warm!
snow report
Thanks
Your forecast very helpful in planning our return to UK on Friday!!
latest report
As you mentioned chocksaway, all weather sites i look at were predicting Very Chilly today.
But not so.
Snow, yes - been snowing all day, and pistes all covered with lovely fluffy 10-20cm layer.
But not really cold unless you went high and into the wind.
Skiing was using Leg Sensors and radar - visibility poor unless down in Breviers trees (so we were told - we never made it down there due to early lunch turning into late lunch turning in to Genepi Fest rolling eyes )
Meant to be good tomorrow. And will be chilly.
latest report
Bülow wrote:
Anyone who knows if the lift to the top of the Grande Motte will open this week? Would be nice to go up there. Last time i was in Tignes it was closed aswell. Confused

Does anyone know what's wrong on the Grande Motte this season? It was all shut at Christmas and since then the only run up there which has occasionally opened has been the Leisse, accessible from the top of the funicular. The cable car doesn't seem to have been running at all. With another fortnight coming up soon I'm getting twitchy about whether it will open at all this winter. The Tignes admin people aren't sharing anything about the problem on Twitter or Skiplan as far as I can see and I think that's a shame. Makes me think about going to Val Thorens next season.
ski holidays
@Jonpim, Absolutely, the cold has not yet arrived though it will be here shortly (my thermometer has dropped 4 degrees in the last 2 hours). I was a bit surprised when I cleared my balcony how damp it was out there. I haven't been out on skis today about 10 cm in total looks about right but more in the gullies and 'under the wind'. Reports from the Chardo Bowl late this morning were saying boot deep in the right places and we have had some heavier showers since then.

The forecasts are indistinct so things will chop and change. But tomorrow will be much colder and the breeze should be light. there will be variable amounts of cloud through the day, the sun will poke its nose out now and again. Saturday looks similar, perhaps a bit more cloud and less sun; there may be a light shower of snow in the afternoon. The forecasts vary for Sunday, all think cold some say sunny periods and some say cloud all day with the chance of a snow shower. Monday and Tuesday look like being days of sunny periods with quite a lot of cloud and the chance of a shower. Follow the advice of Rosemary Cooney and Gene Autry:

Look out the window, look out the window.
See the snowflakes fall.
Look out the window, look out the window.
Winter's come to call
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ianrusper, I think you may be being a bit harsh. It has been susceptible to closure due to the conditions. The recent closure has been due to damage in the storms. Remember we had at least 250kph winds up there (that's as high as the anemometer reads) and the snow was wet so it turned to ice. So before the repairs could commence they had to clear the ice (really the sun does that when it appears). They have been very busy up there this week, initially the motor cable was almost touching the ground) and now appears to be back up. Clearly they can only work when the weather is clement enough and so giving a forecast is tricky. I am sure they will also have had to wait for spare parts. Clearly we are not alone in this problem:

https://www.chamonix.net/english/news/panoramic-mont-blanc-gondola-carrying-cable-severed
ski holidays
Chocksaway - thanks very much for your reply. I did notice the other day that the cables of one of the summer ski-ing lifts coming back up to the Grande Motte restaurant from the glacier were heavily encrusted with ice, and a week or two ago the restaurant itself looked surreal in a shroud of frost and snow. I've been very loyal to Tignes for 30 years and can't really imagine deserting them, but it's been frustrating seeing uninformative status reports each day about the Grande Motte. A little more openness on the part of the resort on their website wouldn't hurt. I'm looking forward to ski-ing up there again in March!
ski holidays
I got the impression they thought it was going to be easy ish - just digging out the top station and deicing the cable and then discovered it wasn't when they got that far...
ski holidays
If you use Facebook its worth following 'Pisteurs Secouristes des Arcs' or 'Pisteurs Secouristes de Val d'Isère' or 'Association Des Pisteurs Secouristes De La Plagne' as they have been posting amazing photos from the glaciers in their regions showing the snowfall & damage. Haven't seen a Tignes group?
snow conditions
@ianrusper, To give you an idea of what the conditions at the cable car were.

https://www.facebook.com/tignes.france/videos/1951954884832194/
ski holidays
What a day. To quote the Loving Spoonful:

What a day for a daydream
What a day for a daydreamin' boy
And I’m lost in a daydream

But it wasn't a daydream, it was too cold for that! To use a northern phrase it was definitely 'a top coat colder today'. But the sun shone through a milky sky all day and up high there was quite a lot more snow than any of us anticipated. Our first trip was down the side off Leisse where it was approaching knee deep, if a little windblown. At one stage it was up to my waist and there then followed a passable impression of a submarine. Conditions were a little more friendly below the Panoramique, the snow was lighter and not quite as deep as you can see:

Lower down there seemed to be less snow so you were bouncing off a hard layer below, you just had to pick the gullies. After a restorative coffee to defrost the toes we set about Grande Balme - just fab. Around the resorts the pistes are in fabulous condition just right for the impending school holidays.

Tomorrow looks pretty much like today weatherwise, maybe the cloud will be slightly thicker. It will be a couple of degrees colder though. The weather systems are a bit indistinct still but Sunday looks similar, mercifuuly a few degrees warmer by the afternoon. Monday currently looks very wintery, cold a strong wind at altitude and light snow showers all day, with the cloud cover it will be much warmer out of the wind. Tuesday and Wednesday look much more benign with sunny periods and more reasonable temperatures.

For the travellers, we are expecting 28000 cars coming up and 23000 going down. Given there is little likelihood of snow there shouldn't be too much of a problem but the traffic will be regulated both ways at the lights at peak times so the odd delay (going home mid morning,, coming here mid afternoon). For the snakes on a plane it is a bit tricky to say as the temperatures in the morning in the UK are low so what may be rain/drizzle at one airport maybe sleet or snow at another. So showers of sleet could happen at Luton, Bristol and Manchester and snow up on the hill at Leeds Bradford. There is also a chance of fog at Stansted and Bristol which would also make things run a little slower. Over here there is a reasonable chance of a light snow shower at any of the 4 airports,it shouldn't prevent an approach even at Chambery but you may need a spot of deicing before departure.
latest report
Crikey it was cold! If Typhoo put the T in Britain, today put the B in Baltic! The thermometer at the top of the Toviere showed -19 at 10 o'clock the morning. There was just a bit of misty cloud around (especially towards Le Fornet) and a breeze which didn't help. However, the cold means the snow on and off piste is still in great condition. As we opted to stay a little lower to keep out of the breeze we spent most of our day down Familial into La Daille, piste Triffolet is now open and pisted (a rare thing!) as you can see in the picture. Off piste is mainly tracked out but we did manage to traverse to some freshtacks from the top of Grand Pre and below the Grand Huit.

The weather tomorrow will be similar to today with mostly sunshine and a few clouds, maybe 2 or 3 degrees warmer in the afternoon when the cloud will thicken. We are expecting cloud all day Monday and light snow, just how much is up for debate, but not a lot going by today's predictions which vary from a couple to 10cm. It will still be very cold. Tuesday will be a bit warmer with sunny periods in the morning and cloud in the afternoon, perhaps a light snow shower. There could also be a stiff breeze in the morning. Wednesday will be a mix of cloud and sunny periods, its a little too far off to be specific.

For tomorrow's travellers the roads should be fine and I can see little to affect flying at both sides of the channel with the exception of a slim chance of sleet showers at the London airports which could prompt the pilot to ask for deicing, but unlikely.
snow report
Just curious to hear if anyone has actually received, or is expecting to receive a refund for the non-skiing days of last month. I know someone in a previous thread said that they had been "credited" back some additional days (but they were staying on in Tignes).

They weren't particular helpful at the "Maison" whilst we were still in Tignes. I'm guessing that refunded days in the Espace Killy are as rare as hens teeth. Staff there seemed clueless as to what the correct procedures should be. Advice varied from "claim on the website" to "you've got Carte Neige. You'll have to claim via that insurance".
snow report
@GeorgeVII, Mate that was here over New Year claimed here:

https://www.ticketoski.fr/fr/tignes

He has had an acknowledgment of the claim and it said providing the proofs were in order his bank would be credited. This was about a week ago, not had an update since, will give him a nudge in the middle of next week/
snow conditions
I made a claim for 2 days in Jan the 8th total closure and 9th stuck on palafour as on that website. Had claim acknowledgement email as I asked for a credit note to use against march. Emailed Stgm a couple of days ago and was told 4 months for claim to be processed.
T
ski holidays
Quote:

If Typhoo put the T in Britain, today put the B in Baltic!

Smile
ski holidays
@chocksaway, & @Timg60, Thanks Guys. We've emailed the office today. Will wait to see if we get a response next week.

(4 months rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy