Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The cost of travelling by car to the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Chris Brookes, she's very well-behaved, except when the postman puts the mail through the letterbox.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ise wrote:
snowbunny wrote:
Chris Brookes, Buy your vignette at the border with Switzerland, online, you pay a handling charge IIRC.

I was wondering what the advantage might be Very Happy

they cost 6.5 Euro in Austria (or neighbouring countries) for a 10 day vignette
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Brookes, I can recommend HotelBB's in France www.hotel-bb.com. Quite similar to the other roadside ones except they do family rooms with 4 beds with a mezzanine area for 50 euros. Stayed in one last week in Troyes and it was fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RichA wrote:
ise wrote:
snowbunny wrote:
Chris Brookes, Buy your vignette at the border with Switzerland, online, you pay a handling charge IIRC.

I was wondering what the advantage might be Very Happy

they cost 6.5 Euro in Austria (or neighbouring countries) for a 10 day vignette

Puzzled Puzzled There is no 10 day vignette in Switzerland.

I think the going rate for an Austrian one is 7.60 IIRC
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise,
Quote:

There is no 10 day vignette in Switzerland.

IIRC my annual Swiss windscreen vignette has cost me CHF40 Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny, that's right, 40chf for a year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise,
Quote:

snowbunny, that's right, 40chf for a year.

If only I could make more use of it Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B, thanks i will keep a note of that hotel link.

I wish there was a shorter period for a vignette than a year.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Brookes wrote:
Colin B, thanks i will keep a note of that hotel link.

I wish there was a shorter period for a vignette than a year.

sure, we roll the motorways up and store them when you're not using them Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise,
Quote:

sure, we roll the motorways up and store them when you're not using them

Like Chris Brookes, I also wish there was a limited period vignette. Never mind, ise, perhaps you could offer a chauffeur service, and collect snowHead at the border Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise, Laughing

but its true. They do passes for the train,bus and boat network system that are valid for one month so its a shame they dont do one for people who travel by car. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowbunny, still it looks like good value to me, less than a single trip in France would cost. Or, if my maths is even close, about what you save for 3 tanks of unleaded at Swiss prices compared to UK ones.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes wrote:
ise, Laughing

but its true. They do passes for the train,bus and boat network system that are valid for one month so its a shame they dont do one for people who travel by car. Crying or Very sad

err, well when there's less people they don't run some boats, buses or trains at all so that looks fair enough.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise,
Quote:

snowbunny, still it looks like good value to me, less than a single trip in France would cost. Or, if my maths is even close, about what you save for 3 tanks of unleaded at Swiss prices compared to UK ones.

It is good value, if well used over the year Very Happy . Is your maths more effective than your Tube Map reading then? Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
well, unleaded is 30 cents cheaper, which is 130 odd litres or somewhere just over two tanks of petrol. Around the same on diesel I'd think.
snow conditions
ise,
Quote:

well, unleaded is 30 cents cheaper, which is 130 odd litres or somewhere just over two tanks of petrol. Around the same on diesel I'd think.

Well, it took me far too long with the calculator Laughing , I mostly agree with your figures and get it down to under 2 tankfuls for me, based on the prices I experienced whilst there this winter,v the prices back here right now.
snow report
There always seem to be Swiss vignettes on Ebay. Buy and sell there and it will probably cost overall very little. [But I dare say this is against the T&Cs.]
snow conditions
RobW wrote:
There always seem to be Swiss vignettes on Ebay. Buy and sell there and it will probably cost overall very little. [But I dare say this is against the T&Cs.]

I think you'll find it's against federal law as well. But, of you don't want to pay then why should you?
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
pam w, the difference is the dogs don't smell and they don't kill you wink

mate haven't you watched Cujo !!! Shocked St Bernard my a$%£e ! Very Happy
snow report
Colin B, Just looked at Hotel B&B and it looks very good.Driving out(for the first time)in April,to Valmorel & Les Arcs.Want an overnight for 4 both ways.I'm thinking Dijon out,and Troyes on the return?Anyone,how does this fit with the usual route?
With the room at €51/night,and a 'eat as much as you like' breakfast at €5.30ea it sounds good value.Presume you booked on line.......no problems?
snow report
Type23, Laughing
snow conditions
snowskisnow, Yes booked on line and it was easy. They only have a receptionist at certain hours but outside of then there is a system whereby you enter your reservation number and credit card and it gives you the room and access number. I had to use it on the way back and it was simple enough. I stayed at Troyes both ways, Dijon is about 100 miles further on. There is also a Cote a Cote restaurant which is reasonable nearby at Troyes and a big Commercial Centre with a Geant Hypermarket. Only word of warning on HotelBB Troyes is that it is not that easy to find.
snow conditions
Colin B wrote:
Only word of warning on HotelBB Troyes is that it is not that easy to find.

Ah,the joys of Satnav wink Have checked,and the street is listed Very Happy
Thanks for the info,looks as if we shall use them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy