Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Frozen lake

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone tell me of a drivable ski resort in Alps, (preferably France,) with a frozen lake ? Thus being an easy, enjoyable walk for first nordic walkers / possibly cross country ski.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry meant first time nordic walkers , cross country skiers .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Morzine - Avoriaz has a beautiful frozen lake at Lindarets (on a bus route)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TIGNES has a large frozen lake ,but would not walk ,ski or even set foot on it ever
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not in France, but Zell am See in Austria has a nice frozen lake.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Lisaw3663, please bear in mind that any lake that is secure enough to walk on will, inevitably, be pretty high. Although full-blown altitude sickness is unlikely, the effects can be unpleasant for the inexperienced, including dehydration and persistent headaches. Large flat areas can be exposed too if the weather gets windy. Also bear in mind that a white lake on a white background won't make for easy 'seeing'.

Plenty of places offer lower, tree-level nordic skiing tracks that are also open to pedestrians. Les Karellis immediately springs to mind as I have seen plenty of pedestrians there - and, come to think of it, very few nordic skiers! These would be white on black with, generally, few intersections.

There are lots of options to browse through in this handy - but slightly out of date now - brochure:
http://www.maurienne.fr/pdf/saison/1408621620_GuideNeige_2014bat.pdf
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lisaw3663 wrote:
Can anyone tell me of a drivable ski resort in Alps, (preferably France,) with a frozen lake ? Thus being an easy, enjoyable walk for first nordic walkers / possibly cross country ski.
Thanks

Why do you want to cross country ski on a frozen lake?

St Moritz fits the bill though.

At Mottaret the cross country ski trails go around the lake. Ditto Tignes as mentioned above.

Of course if it is frozen without snow you'd be better with ice skates

In this case Negro Lake above Le Boréon
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@davidof, yep St. Moritz would be my suggestion. You can also do Skijöring there if staring down a horse's ass is your thing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:

Well, it ensures that it's pretty flat I guess.... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lisaw3663 wrote:
Thanks

Tignes fits the bill.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
davidof wrote:

Well, it ensures that it's pretty flat I guess.... Toofy Grin

As someone who nordic ski a lot, I can tell you a frozen lake is not on the top of any nordic skier's list. But Alastair Pink, I know you knows about it quite well, you're just play devil's advocate...

The wide open space only ensures any snow fallen it are easily blown away by any wind, leaving a crusty snow surface at best. Rather difficult to control on flappy skinny skis.

Also, skiing on a large featureless area is quite demoralizing, with much less sense of progress.

That said, if the OP insists on a frozen lake AND good nordic skiing, St Morist is brilliant. The best part being many flat tracks sheltered in the woods that goes from one village to the next, with lovely huts serving hot soup (and cold beer) in between.

But maybe too long to drive to though.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 9-09-17 13:22; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
vipul wrote:
TIGNES has a large frozen lake ,but would not walk ,ski or even set foot on it ever

????? Why not, every time I've been to Tignes its perfectly fine, marked posts straight through the middle - hell they have dogs pulling people across it all the time....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You could drive to almost any alpine ski resort, and many have lakes nearby, which may well be frozen if it's cold enough. A few have already been mentioned - Chamrousse, for instance, has its XC trails set around a lake which has always been frozen when I've been there in winter (though not necessarily frozen enough to walk/skate on, but I've not tested that.

Also, a lake is not really necessary for pretty walks/XC - commonly this type of activity is in wooded areas.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
Chamrousse, for instance, has its XC trails set around a lake which has always been frozen when I've been there in winter

The cross country trails are on the plateau d'Arselle, there isn't a lake there, well not since the last ice age anyway.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
Chamrousse . . .

there isn't a lake there, well not since the last ice age anyway.

Ah. Well, it looks a bit like a lake in winter (well, a frozen one covered in snow).
snow conditions
Morzine, large lake in near Montriond (Lac de Montriond). If you want to try nordic walking/skiing then Praz de Lys/Sommand is 20mins drive from Morzine and is a popular nordic walking/skiing area for the French in that area, and has a small lake, and also has dog sledging you can try which always looks interesting. Relatively easy drive depending on your start point in the UK. Both close to Taninges which has a large lake which unlike those higher in the mountains doesn't get completely frozen over in winter.
snow conditions
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
davidof wrote:
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
Chamrousse . . .

there isn't a lake there, well not since the last ice age anyway.

Ah. Well, it looks a bit like a lake in winter (well, a frozen one covered in snow).

It does indeed, with snow it looks much flatter than the picture above.

Did you walk up to Lac Achard? That is a nice frozen lake. I'm wondering whether you were thinking of that?

ski holidays
@davidof, no, I was just wrong. My first skiing was XC there; definitely not been to lac Achard, but did head down towards lac Robert last time I skied there.
ski holidays
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
@davidof, no, I was just wrong. My first skiing was XC there; definitely not been to lac Achard, but did head down towards lac Robert last time I skied there.

Well if you ever fancy a morning off if you are at Chamrousse, snowshoeing to lac Achard is a good plan. As you no doubt know you can dive under the lacs Roberts. Having watched Omen 2 it doesn't appeal to me.

Whenever I ski tour via the lac Roberts I never cross the ice but follow the shoreline.

The lac du Joux in the Jura freezes in a normal winter, you can ice skate on it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy