Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski 2018 in Switzerland for Free

Poster: A snowHead
Penry wrote:
@nixmap, have you got any testimonials from people who have taken up your offer previously?

It might help overcome some of the negativity and more importantly, satisfy my idle curiosity.

Its a free forum, and from time to time people have responded and the odd picture has been posted.
Generally though I think those whose stayed with us have respected our privacy, and we theirs.
We don't encourage anything else, and , for the most part I think that remains the most sensible approach
Who would want to be subjected to the inevitable onslaught that poster would get from the less sanguine members of the group.
I guess your curiosity is therefore also a casualty of the very same people.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nixmap wrote:
Many people save money to travel or take extended periods off work. Is that so niche?

No, but to do it by being unpaid help for someone is a bit strange. Presumably you get up take on the offer every year and presumably it's not a total disaster either, but you've got to understand how weird an offer it is? It sounds like the set up to a dodgy thriller movie.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sowe can only assume, none of your "volunteers" return, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for new ones and you'd rather they didn't tell us about their experience, so we can only assume their report wouldn't be favorable.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you don't like it, just politely move on.

I've ridden a lot of free helicopter vertical through similar deals, and sailing has equivalent opportunities in greater numbers I'd say.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never understood the immigration and tax status of this. While both sides may be happy with the quid pro quo, if this was in the UK (and I realise it isn't and the snow would be worse) I'd have thought the obligations and benefits of the relationship would form a contract and hence employment issues would kick in.

@nixmap, would you be happy for the volunteers to describe the true and full nature of the relationship on entry to Switzerland, if questioned? How about on exit?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
adithorp wrote:
Sowe can only assume, none of your "volunteers" return, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for new ones and you'd rather they didn't tell us about their experience, so we can only assume their report wouldn't be favorable.

You are free to assume what ever you like, if it didn't work out I doubt I would come back every year.
More to the point if it was so terrible or disastrous, I think you would be much more likely to hear about it.
As this doesn't happen you could also assume everyone is more or less happy with the outcome.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 17-09-17 16:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
nixmap wrote:
Many people save money to travel or take extended periods off work. Is that so niche?

No, but to do it by being unpaid help for someone is a bit strange. Presumably you get up take on the offer every year and presumably it's not a total disaster either, but you've got to understand how weird an offer it is? It sounds like the set up to a dodgy thriller movie.

There is nothing weird about it, people either like the idea and think it suits them, or not.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nixmap, don't get me wrong, I like the idea but it doesn't suit me (single, got a mortgage to pay so need income, don't want to rent house to others for 3 months while I'm away). Were circumstances slightly different then I'd probably put myself forward for it. But regardless of whether I like it or not, it's still weird. If it wasn't weird then it wouldn't get so many comments every year.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It gets the comments from the same minority of Snowheads every year. The majority of us just wish our personal circumstances allowed us to apply. (Actually I wish my personal circumstances allowed me to buy a chalet Sad )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig wrote:

I've ridden a lot of free helicopter vertical through similar deals, and sailing has equivalent opportunities in greater numbers I'd say.

You're right. This isn't particularly different to people looking for crew to deliver a yacht for free.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

This isn't particularly different to people looking for crew to deliver a yacht for free

Do you have to teach the yacht owner's kids to sail? Do you have to cook and clean and wait on the owner's hand and foot whilst delivering the yacht? I don't think it's so similar at all really.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Do you have to teach the yacht owner's kids to sail? Do you have to cook and clean and wait on the owner's hand and foot whilst delivering the yacht? I don't think it's so similar at all really

+1!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/nov/19/crew-ship-see-the-world-free
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/how-sail-and-volunteer-around-world-free
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://www.findacrew.net/en/boat/search
snow conditions
I didn't spot the 'wait on the owners hand and foot' requirement.
snow conditions
positions available

preferably for
 Deckhand   any experience
 Competent Crew   any experience
 Watch-keeper   any experience
 Galleyhand   any experience
ski holidays
aka gopher and cook
latest report
Maybe I should put my post there, people must get bored of the ocean at some point. Toofy Grin
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:

Probably because I'd put in an errant apostrophe Laughing
snow conditions
The enterprising amongst you might spot an opportunity for a brand new website.
There are quite a few owners I already know, who watch this thread with interest, but don't have the appetite for all the glum spirited naysayers.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

Probably because I'd put in an errant apostrophe Laughing

You mean I'd have to wait on the whole lot of Nix, not just his extremities? Blimey! Very Happy
snow conditions
@Charliegolf, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
sugarmoma666 wrote:
philwig wrote:

You're right. This isn't particularly different to people looking for crew to deliver a yacht for free.

Actually, the controversy had calmed down considerably after these a few years. Quite possibly because both sides worked out what's fair, potentially helped by the gang of naysayer on SH! Smile

I recall year 1 was no ski pass, expected to teach the kid ski and the kids were small (which many suspect means lots of mess to pick up).

But I think last year was something like multiple chalet and free ski passes to all of the mountain plus an SUV to drive from one to the other. That's quite a dream setup for an energetic couple who fancy skiing multiple mountains. The ski passes alone would have worth quite a bit more than on year 1. (that said, for people who'd rather stay put, they might find that extra responsibility annoying).

I didn't get a chance to read the detail of specific setup this time around. But I spotted ski passes are included. So the condition had generally been improved since the early days of near slave setup.

Keep in mind the lack of legal binding cuts both ways. So if the caretaker don't work out, (or even the caretaker breaks his leg), nixmap would have to do all the work himself for the rest of the season. So it's not as one-sided as one might imagine. Given his current preference of more matured couples, it's clear he learned his lessons. I would also think matured couples are less gullible. So it's more likely a mutually agreeable situation had emerged.
snow report
Quote:

Keep in mind the lack of legal binding cuts both ways. So if the caretaker don't work out, (or even the caretaker breaks his leg), nixmap would have to do all the work himself for the rest of the season. So it's not as one-sided as one might imagine. Given his current preference of more matured couples, it's clear he learned his lessons. I would also think matured couples are less gullible. So it's more likely a mutually agreeable situation had emerged.

Ha, ha,. Funniest thing I've read this week Laughing Laughing Laughing . Or are you being ironic?
snow conditions
nixmap wrote:
The enterprising amongst you might spot an opportunity for a brand new website.
There are quite a few owners I already know, who watch this thread with interest, but don't have the appetite for all the glum spirited naysayers.

Tender? Swipe left for oligarch's floating gin palace, swipe right for tech billionaire's 70ft racing yacht?

It's interesting that you and your fellow Illuminati don't seem to be able to tell the difference between banter based on your largely self serving engagement on this forum over the years and actually ill will.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 19-09-17 12:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
"Enterprising"?

Where's the money?

Oh right, "for FREE"! rolling eyes
snow report
I'm pretty sure this is done every year in the hope of scoring a couple of hotties like the blonde in chalet girl..... or is that just how my mind works?!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
"Enterprising"?

Where's the money?

I think he was suggesting becoming an agent to put homeowners in touch with suitable 'caretakers'.

Charge a registration fee like the sailing sites = an enterprise.
snow report
blacksheep wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is done every year in the hope of scoring a couple of hotties like the blonde in chalet girl..... or is that just how my mind works?!

Just how your mind works
I'd prefer the brunette
snow conditions
@nixmap, you just posted a load of info that further validates Halfhand's comment
latest report
blacksheep wrote:

Well, easy to imagine, but that works in both directions, if I remember the movie.
snow conditions
Quote:

largely self serving engagement on this forum

That "largely" is generous, @Dave of the Marmottes. wink
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

largely self serving engagement on this forum

That "largely" is generous, @Dave of the Marmottes. wink

How can that be justifiable ? I think that's somewhat groundless as it is self evident that any such arrangement must be even to both parties-
Otherwise two parties would never make such an arrangement with each other in the first place.

You might say that there would be a chance of some poor unsuspecting snow head being duped, but after 8 years and 100s of posts later I would imagine the risk of being uninformed or caught unaware is pretty low.
ski holidays
Had any nbbles yet Nix? If my wife were free to go, I'd think about it. I'm married- I volunteer for lots of things. It seems!
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
Had any nbbles yet Nix? If my wife were free to go, I'd think about it. I'm married- I volunteer for lots of things. It seems!

A few would you all like to know who has applied?
snow conditions
No, I think that's your business. I was being serious btw, if a little flippant.
ski holidays
@nixmap, I think that Dave of the Marmottes and pam_w were referring to your total lack of contribution to the forum, other than your annual offer of employment.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@nixmap, I think that Dave of the Marmottes and pam_w were referring to your total lack of contribution to the forum, other than your annual offer of employment.

Indeed it's a bit like someone popping up annually to sell a pair of skis and thinking they are doing everyone a favour.

To be fair I think the OP did offer everyone the opportunity to chip in to stay with him in a deluxe bunkhouse last year but didn't actually stay the course to prove he was serious and not just trolling.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
abc wrote:
"Enterprising"?

Where's the money?

I think he was suggesting becoming an agent to put homeowners in touch with suitable 'caretakers'.

Charge a registration fee like the sailing sites = an enterprise.

I believe there're such agents exist for a fee.

To make a few coins, there has to be sufficient volume of business. How many chalet owners out there are so cheap that they prefer to use a "free" web-based agent?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy