Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
@kapt, good rant
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@eblunt, I believe that these sudden very high speeds occur when the constellation of GPS satellites changes hence a sudden jump in distance over a short time frame. The software should have filters to remove that, but since actually knowing instantaneous speed is rarely an important measure the coders don’t give it much attention. And nor should we.

@kapt, I understand why snowcrazy feels safer off piste than on. I feel much safer on black pistes than blue ones. What do other people think is the scariest piste in Les Arcs. To me it is Edelweiss. Though most blues with kids charging up the banks at the side then suddenly returing to the piste are a bit nerve racking
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No problem, kapt, I just didn't want you to think I am a reckless skier.
My husband was wiped out in Soelden by two idiots racing down a steep blue run. He slid 100m down, fortunately he only had a minor cut to his head but it could have been so much worse. Witnessed by a ski instructor with a big group of children - it would have been carnage if they had hit them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’d say I feel safer off piste than on as well simply because of the speeds that people can get to down a piste (especially wide blue pistes)

The measuring of speeds with GPS could certainly be a possible factor, comparing speeds later with friends etc.

The only times I’ve ever been injured in 50 plus weeks of skiing is when I’ve been mowed down from behind on a piste or someone has gone straight in front (so no time to react sort of thing)-again on a piste.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

most blues with kids charging up the banks at the side then suddenly returning to the piste are a bit nerve racking

Laughing
I think you most probably have it there - if it is just down to you (& your ability and knowledge thereof), then you can (mostly - apart from avalanches etc. & even these can be, to an extent, allowed for) manage your own safety. Not wishing in any way to diminish the delight which youngsters find in exploring boundaries (Oh goodness - how long was I a teacher??) it sometimes amazes me how parents do not see a modicum of 'safety training' as being part of a youngster's initiation into the delights of skiing etc.
@red 27, - thanks - wife wasn't happy at my post - after your comment at least she's speaking again! Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@thefatcontroller,
Quote:

Curious how Yuge users find it battery usage. Turned on Skitracks in Janaury and its use of GPS nearly wiped my battery by the end of the day

I had Skitracks and Maprika tracking all day, plus using Yuge for lift/piste opening but not tracking. Full charge at start of day, enough battery at end of skiing to easily still get through the evening. However, in the UK I can usually get 2 days out of a charge. I didn't see much point in tracking with Yuge as well!
What's interesting is the different max speeds that the different apps give - Skitracks is always faster than Maprika. My techy husband and son tried explaining how it depends on the algorithms used, or something...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I used Slopes this season instead of Skitracks as it ran the battery down too much and whilst the Slopes app didn’t use anywhere near as much battery, the calories burned was wildly different to my Garmin Forerunner even with the same weight recorded. Slopes said I’d burned 500 calories all day whereas the Garmin was 5-6 times that much.
The speeds and km covered were different as well. Of course the heart rate is measured on the Garmin so that’s probably why the calories were so different and some of it will be BMR.

So I’ve gone back to just using the skiing app I downloaded onto my Garmin Forerunner so I can keep my phone battery as full as possible.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is Slopes just an Iphone app? At the risk of having the wrath of Apple fans come down on me, maybe the issue isn't the apps using up the battery, but that Iphone batteries are rubbish? I'm on a Sony phone, and whilst they use the battery up, it does easily last the day. wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use both ski tracks and Yuge all day and have at least 50% battery left at bedtime, using an iPhone 7 check ski tracks settings there are some that encourage battery use. Yuge, who knows 😀
At the end of the day both are vaguely similar, but since the update the mileage on Yuge is a bit variable.
Top speed is usually similar using mph not kph.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ran my Garmin and yuge side by side yesterday and stats were very similar.
The gps tracking was spot on.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry, meant to check battery use before I recharged, but forgot.
My phone battery is 3100mAh.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Using my iPhone X and Yuge my battery was still around 50% after a full day of skiing and with some other use of the phone for calls etc. I think the battery problems come with slightly older phones where the battery life has degraded a bit from use.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can you add your friends on the YUGE app before you get to the resort? a few of us have downloaded it ahead of our trip in a few weeks but we can't seem to find each other through the "My Friends" search section.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wills_h wrote:
Using my iPhone X and Yuge my battery was still around 50% after a full day of skiing and with some other use of the phone for calls etc. I think the battery problems come with slightly older phones where the battery life has degraded a bit from use.
A week ago I tried Yuge for a day with my iPhone 7 and the battery was down to 32% when I remembered to turn Yuge off at about 5.30pm. I'm not interested in the tracking function beyond one day's novelty factor, so it's good that you don't have to use that just to see what lifts are open (although I'm not sure how accurate and timely that information is - anyone compared what the app says with what they can see?).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pmercer, As per my earlier post :

- Friend search just gives a random list, 4 of us were using it and none of us could find each other.
latest report
I'm heading to the Paradiski area in a month's time. Looking to download a mapping app for the area. From the comments above I get the impression that Yuge is not brilliant. Any consensus on the best app? How does FatMap rate?
snow conditions
chomski wrote:
How does FatMap rate?
Good for getting a better idea about off-piste terrain and recognised off-piste routes as well as piste statistics, but doesn't have things like lift opening status, tracking your skiing.
snow report
I'm getting the impression yuge isn't a battery hog. Only had it on for a couple of hours but it used less than the android system.
snow report
I reckon Yuge is pretty greedy battery wise - I was down to 25% by 4pm today when I would have expected to have 75% or more available without Yuge. Still, I won a neck-warmer earlier this week on Yuge so it's probably worth leaving it switched on.

Glorious weather today - the few clouds at the start of the day quickly disappeared and the slopes were very quiet, being a Saturday. snowHead
latest report
Hi all, quick question for those with experience of Les Arcs -- are credit cards widely accepted at the shops, bars, and restaurants, or does it tend to be cash only? Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere else. Heading to 1800 on 02/03.

Thanks!
ski holidays
@jwatmuff, I used CC in 99% of places. Some have a minimum 10 Euro limit but I used very little cash. Have a Halifax Clarity (best for abroad) so piled everything on that.
snow report
I only have limited experience if Les Arcs, having been there for 3 days.
Without exception everywhere we attempted to used a credit card it was accepted. There are also cashpoints everywhere.
Have a good trip 😂
ski holidays
In Les Arcs 1800 since Sat just for the week. Conditions on piste are excellent off piste is bumpy enough but massive snowfall 46cms forecast for wens/thurs so might be nice for our last day on Fri!
snow report
Snow here still in very good condition. Skied from 1800->Villaroger->Plagne Montalbert today and apart from a few hard patches lower down had a brilliant time. Strangled a few chickens Madeye-Smiley . Not a cloud in the sky and it looks like another good day tomorrow.
snow report
Revolut card is a good preloaded card to get - whacked some euros on at 1.1497 the other day - and using it everywhere with NFC.
Newbie on the scene is Starling bank - app only, but no commissions, charges etc for cash or transactions and uses MasterCard interbank rate - NFC again.
Clarity will catch you out if you take cash and don't repay immediately.
latest report
Oops, and les arcs is fab atm.
snow report
Scamper wrote:
....Clarity will catch you out if you take cash and don't repay immediately.

Agreed but not that stupid. Clarity suits me as it is credit and I can use in different countries and pay off when back. Using a normal credit card can be very expensive. Apart from taxi who only took cash nearly a 100% cashless trip. Much easier
ski holidays
Scamper wrote:
Revolut card is a good preloaded card to get - whacked some euros on at 1.1497 the other day - and using it everywhere with NFC.
Newbie on the scene is Starling bank - app only, but no commissions, charges etc for cash or transactions and uses MasterCard interbank rate - NFC again.
Clarity will catch you out if you take cash and don't repay immediately.

I can vouch for Revolut. Not in les arcs but very rarely had any problems anywhere in the world - and their app is great too. Top up, exchange, even provides a breakdown on what you’ve spent where in categories if that interests you...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sunday 28 January. Photos from the weekend are now in the January 2018 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page. Take a look at the great conditions we had. Blue sky and great snow everywhere. The pistes are excellent and the off piste although tracked in many places, has started to transform and is still good to ski. Have fun out there. More snow later in the week.

If anyone needs their skis serviced or want's to rent skis or snowboards. http://www.polairestar.com/ beside the bottom of the funicular has a great selection.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
Welcome back @snowcrazy, I always look forward to your posts
latest report
Looks ok for drivning Saturday and there will be snow: Madeye-Smiley

Closest I could get to Peisey Vallandry. You never know might change. Confused

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 30-01-18 21:00; edited 2 times in total
snow report
I'm heading to Les Arc 2000 with my family for the Feb half term (10th -17th). Any good ideas on finding people to ski with in the mornings? I've posted in the 'snowbuddy' section but haven't heard anything, and am wondering if there's a better site/place/way to do this. Thanks
snow conditions
Staying arc2000 10-17th Feb. What's the story with parking ? Need to book/pay? Is there a public car park? Note on Les arcs website they want me to pay €80 for the week. Advice?
snow report
Prediction change a lot it seem, Sundag snow is almost canceled. Crying or Very sad
Good for our driving up on Sunday - bad for skiing Sunday.

ski holidays
@johnE, only a quick visit last weekend, but back again shortly for the promised snow tomorrow. Will post an update after a ski in the fresh powder i hope. We must try and hook up for a ski while you are out. Send me a PM here or over on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page if you fancy a ski.

Over the coming half term week's we will be having some not so extreme days so anyone around is welcome to join us. Always good to meet up with other snowheads. @Pignik, this is a much better place to post if you want to join the fun. We are out most days doing something. If you post on the Les Arcs Winter page and say your level there is likely to be people to ski with. Quite a few others have kids in ski school and like to find someone for the mornings. Hope that helps.
snow report
@Pignik, I've added myself to the snowbuddy section now that I seem to have got my ski legs back. PM if you want to meet up.

@snowcrazy, it would be good to meet sometime when you're over although I won't be up for anything too adventurous at the moment.
snow report
In arc 1800 for the week, conditions on piste again perfect today took a trip to la plagne today after doing first tracks with the pisteurs at 7.45am this morning. was a long day but very enjoyable. Hopefully get to hit a bit of off piste tomorrow after tonight's snow.
Anybody any recommendations in les arcs for off piste not too far backcountry for intermediate to advanced level?
snow report
@Alastair, hi. I just got back. As you are a regular on here. Have you joined Les Arcs Winter facebook page for daily updates. That is how all the regulars out here stay in contact with me. I post our programme for each day on there. Once you have read what we plan to do for the day, if you think the level is right for you or you want to ask questions about our plan you need to post your question on the page or PM me on facebook.

For anyone new to Les Arcs or Snowheads. Now that the holidays are starting again there are often different groups depending what you fancy doing. One rule. You must have full arvi gear to come off piste with us and know how to use it. My friends and I do this for free. We do not teach so you need to really be the level the day is aimed at. I am afraid you will be asked to bail if you are struggling to much.

This system has been working really well for a long time. Most of us have been doing seasons here for well over 10 years, some like me considerably longer. Our passion is off piste and we know many cool and less skied areas. Anyone is welcome if you want a chilled ski or even snowboarders, but please contact me in advance to check the level for the day if you are not sure if it is OK for you. Oh yeah, kids can come if fully equipped and a parent is there to be responsible for them. But please remember we are not Instructing so if they need lessons then please look at the links I have posted to find an Instructor.

Avalnche safety gear can be rented at various shops around the resort, but it is best if you have your own.

When the conditions are not suitable or just for a change we also do On Piste days with a few easy gullies (piste natures stuff like Malgovert, it is a red run standard.) or snow park thrown in for the young at heart! These can sometimes be quite big groups, but are lots of fun as well. You do not need arvi gear on these days.

@hullabulloo, come along if you are interested. Hope to see many regulars now that I am back, plus any new faces that fancy joining us. Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 31-01-18 23:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@snowcrazy, given that all your skiing is apparently off piste, I won't be joining you as I'm happy on piste.
latest report
@Alastair, as i said in the post i just edited. We do sometimes do On Piste days or just piste nature stuff so that people can come without having arvi gear. Come along some time and give it a try. I think you will have fun!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy