Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
@beeryletcher, out of interest, how much will the 2 weeks cost you do you reckon?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ratkinsonuk, my situation isn't typical, as I have free use of a friend's apartment for the Les Arcs week and free Eurostar travel as my wife works for them. The Val D'Isere apartment came in at £200 for my share (only me and my brother on this trip). Lift passes were somewhere over £550 for 15 days skiing each. Expect to spend £1200 on booze and food each. £22.00 return bus from Val D'Isere. No equipment to hire and no lessons. No transfer to Les Arcs as funi is in the lift pass for both ends of that part of trip. So for me £1972 all in. Happy days Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@beeryletcher, you can go off people you know... wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Arctic Roll, Yes but the real cost is in closing my business down for 2 weeks - and that cost I really don't want to think about...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mine would be trying to explain to the Mrs why it took so long to get the loaf of bread, and how expensive bread is these days....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
@johnE, is overnight parking available at the funicular car park? I've never parked down there, but vaguely recall reading that the funicular car park is daytime only.

We parked there last year and left the car for the week. We were told you can get a weekly ticket, leave anytime. We took the ticket from the machine on entry, had no idea whether it would see us through the week or whether we had to purchase separately, couldn't find anyone to ask. Fast forward to leaving time- hubby decided to fetch the car on our last evening after a week of clear roads and no snowfall. He couldn't get out of the carpark- the barrier wasn't working. A knowledgeable Instructor was also trying to get out and told hubby that it often happens. Instructor managed to raise barrier and hubby tailgated him out. Cue heavy snowfall, got within meters of Arc 1950 and blessed heavy rwd car with no chains couldn't quite make it to the resort. Had to turn around and head back down to 1800/1600 and leave the car on roadside parking bay. Never again, this year we're fully equipped with chains and will drive to the top and park in the underground carpark there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arctic Roll wrote:
Hyst wrote:
Hyst wrote:
Anybody know a good breakfast cafe in Plan Peisey? Not many choices as far as I remember. Puzzled

@snowcrazy, Something you could put on the list of info if possible? Of course not only for Peisey Vallandry area, but the other once as Well? Just a suggestion Embarassed

If you are anywhere near 1950 for breakfast, thoroughly recommend the Wood Bear Cafe. Sebastien rustles up a mean scrambled-egg-bacon-and/or-salmon-in-a-bagel.

Thanks, but a bit far to drive for breakfast.

https://www.peisey-vallandry.com/hiver/restaurants.html

seems only to be a possibility down in Peisey. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ski knees, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Quote:

The excitement is mounting....and that's just from the bar and bra owners who know I'm on the way !

@beeryletcher, with a name like yours, you may find that the bra owners have left the bar by the time you arrive Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugarmoma666 wrote:
We're coming out to Les Arcs soon, staying in Plan Peisey. Can anyone recommend any good places for lunch at a reasonable price. Ideally we're looking for places that serve simple food like onion soup, tartiflette, steak hache, etc. and maybe a plat du jour (i.e. not burger and chips joints). Slight preference for self service, but also happy to have recommendations for waiter services places.

I guess this might have got missed in all the snow and rain Very Happy Any suggestions from anyone? I noticed JohnE mentioned somewhere that sounded good on another thread.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sugarmoma666, There are lots of good places in the Les Arcs area, but oddly most of them are waiter service. Places I use and please accept that I cannot recall the names - they keep changing, include Arcabuse and Cairn in 1600, Parentheses in 1800, (formally known as) the Cordee and hotel Vanoise in Vallandry all of which are waiter served and the Pre st Espirit which is waiter and self serve. The Arpette between 1600 and 1800 has a good waiter served area but the queues for self serve are IMHO too long. I usually simply go for the Plat du Jour, but my wife will often have the starter and the pudding (she has a sweet tooth) and we will get the menu du jour between us. Oddly I have never found anywhere I really like in 2000 or 1950.

Isn't a steak hache just a burger without the bun?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
@sugarmoma666, The Arpette between 1600 and 1800 has a good waiter served area but the queues for self serve are IMHO too long.

I like the self service here too. I try to get there early to avoid the queue. Plat du jour is normally nutritious and filling for a decent price
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@red 27, I had lunch in there the other day and it seemed reasonable value - like you, I tend to have an early lunch to avoid queues.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A very changeable day! After wet mist and cloud in the morning. the rain came back for a while and then finally the sun came out later in the afternoon. There is a lot of snow around still, but the rain has loaded it with moisture so you do need to take care.

The snow off piste was heavy, sticky and not a lot of fun. The pistes on the other hand were in very good condition and if it had not been so busy it would have been a good finish to the week. In high season the main lifts and pistes struggle to cope. It really is time they stop building more accommodation.

The roads have already started to get busy tonight and tomorrow will be a black traffic day so you must be relaxed and expect traffic queues out of the valley.

Tomorrow will be mixed weather again. Hard to be sure what to plan. Anyone wanting to ski with us tomorrow needs to send me a PM before 9am.

More to come tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowcrazy, hey mate, I'll be arriving tomorrow evening with a group of mixed abilities. About 14 of us staying in club med at the 2000 for the week.

Can't wait to see the resort and ski the off piste, hopefully the snow on Monday is fluffier!

Do you do much of the proper off piste stuff?

Willem.
snow report
Just arrived Arc2000 via Eurostar and taxi. Dark so hard to see much but from amount of snow in Bourg and baseline we know to measure against here in 2000 there looks to be a massive amount of snow. Better than the grass we saw here this time last year. Till tomorrow 👍
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
...there looks to be a massive amount of snow.

snowHead
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
...there looks to be a massive amount of snow.

snowHead

snowHead snowHead snowHead
Excited.
ski holidays
After all the poor weather the sun finally came out today!

There really is a lot of snow around still. The only problem is that most of it has turned into a very hard crust and is only slowly turning into spring like conditions to ski off piste.

After a fast ski across Les Arcs passing through Arc 1600, Arc 2000 bowl and Peisey Valandry we crossed the Vanoise Express and headed over to Belle Plagne for the first time since the storm passed.

We made it to Les Coches, the top of the Roche de Mio, Champagny Village, Plagne Centre, Montalbert, Bellecote La Plagne and back to the Vanoise Express. Finally heading down to Arc 1800 and home via a nice forest trail above the new Club Med in the Mont Blanc forest.

Everywhere we went on piste the conditions were firm with a nice layer of softer snow on top during the morning. On the return journey the pistes started to become much more icy. The off piste was very mixed. We managed to find some nice spring snow in a few places, but most of the snow had a hard crust on top which we had to be ski very carefully.

Overall today was another fun ski with some interesting challenges.

Photos from today have been posted in the January 2018 Album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Take a look at the conditions today. They were very interesting!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Tomorrow we will be heading out again and hoping to find more spring conditions to put fresh track down. Anyone interested in joining us needs to PM me before 9am.
snow report
View from our apartment balcony. Grey clouds over Bois. No rush this morning, need to get my new snowboard bindings on (Xmas preset from wife). Forecast seems to be light snow starting around lunch time, with heavy snow tomorrow. Lets see...

For the geeks and those that know the area, note how the restaurant seats are way below the snow base in 2000, this time last year they were level.
snow conditions
Quick update. Snowing in Arc 2000
latest report
@thefatcontroller, nice fact about the seating. In les arcs in two weeks time. We went to Italy last year but back to Les arcs this season so looking forward to it
snow report
@thefatcontroller, Is that red-finned snow-shark starring in the remake of "Avalanche Sharks" - a film so bad it can't be missed?

(part of the Sharknado franchise I believe - and up there will "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and "Plan 9 from Outer Space" - I ♥ B movies)
latest report
Off the Les Arc 1950 (first time) beginning of Feb for a week, looks like there will be plenty of snow snowHead more than I had on mammoth in December.

Getting impatient now and even looking for a new board to take with me
latest report
Was obviously very sheltered on our warm apartment this morning as we missed the gale force winds and closed lifts until we actually got out on the slopes in 2000. Immediately apparent that all links across to 1800 etc were closed, we boarded down to Pre Saint, went up it but then they closed it. It was kind of scary on it. Went back down to Pre Saint and go the bus to 1600 (the buses are so handy and most don't know abut them). 1600 was the direct opposite, it was spring like there. Spent the afternoon boarding around 1800 and over to Peisey. Conditions on piste were lovely, off piste was hard crust. Still a very enjoyable day. I did use Ski Tracks to monitor the day and seemingly we boarded 17 miles but it nearly killed the phone battery so deleted. Carelly was open late afternoon and you could go home that way but they weren't recommending go into the bowl to ski. Not snowing now but conditions for tomorrow are snowy and blowy. So much snow here it is amazing, as deep and as much as we have ever seen. Some photos...

The worst thing about coming every year 1st week after schools go back in January are the crowds. This is Peisey & the Vanoise at 3pm today. You have to pick your line through the crowds carefully

Sitting on Carelly chair in the afternoon

Top of chair that comes out of Peisey. You can see the low snow line in the valley

More crowds in 2000 bowl at 4pm.

It is Russian Orthodox Xmas day today and in honour of them and their paid for wives they bring to Arc 1950 we had a fireworks display

ski holidays
Those crowds look terrible - chin up Toofy Grin
latest report
Snowing in Arc 2000, has been since about 7pm. Night...
snow report
Jelly! Enjoy snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
7.30am in Arc 2000. Blowing a gale but still snowing heavy.
snow report
Snowing heavy
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Snowing heavy

Are you in 1950?
latest report
dlw wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Snowing heavy

Are you in 1950?

Arc 2000
snow report
Aah just realised after seeing your previous posts lol, looks really nice but probably not so on the slopes.
snow report
Snowline looks to be about 1700...

Good day to be in the PV trees - if you can get there...
snow conditions
@red 27, We are old lazy snowboarders 😂. We haven’t even had breakfast, bus to 1600 beckons. Sometime 👍😂
ski holidays
If Cachette is closed in 1600 can you get to 1800 on skis/boards or is it bus?
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, presume you could use Mont Blanc and ski back past top of Cachettes
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
@thefatcontroller, presume you could use Mont Blanc and ski back past top of Cachettes

Mont Blanc shut too, all high lifts 1600/2000 shut. Lifts seem better 1800/PV

http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=les-arcs&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
latest report
@thefatcontroller,Good luck!
latest report
Looks to grim. Off to Bourg via bus & funni for some shopping. Might get out later.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy