Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
@thefatcontroller, Overnight eurostar?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wills_h wrote:
@thefatcontroller, Overnight eurostar?

No chance, we have used the couchette overnight out of Paris, trying day time Eurostar. Each to their own but no way would I want to sit in a seat overnight. Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@thefatcontroller, Good choice, I was about to say good luck sleeping or not spending the rest of your time out there with a sore back! It was just about possible to sleep when you had some alcohol to help, now, no chance! wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@wills_h, the 6 berth couchette was bad enough but a chair no chance. Actually get a discount on Eurostar through work of 50% so travelling daytime and 1st/premier class. Definitely not roughing it..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@thefatcontroller, The 1st/premier class means you get a slightly above airline quality meal, with a half bottle of wine and a seat which reclines a couple of degrees. Whilst it is better than standard, it hardly lording it Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@wills_h, Let me live my dream please..... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sadly, getting enough sleep is near impossible even in Premier on Eurostar. I've done it for the last 2 years, being sat up is a problem and I just can't get comfortable either.

The 2 extra days skiing is worth it but I just wish they could at least turn the lights off on the train!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Strangely enough I always seemed to be able to sleep on the way back, just not on the way out Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@wills_h, must be the excitement at the thought of skiing from 9 am Saturday on quiet pistes! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowing heavy up high and slowly moving down the mountain. I do like the live cams...

https://www.lesarcs.com/livecam-combettes.html#ong333
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am assuming what I have marked in red is the new Pre Saint top of lift and the path they will cut down from it to give access to Plagnettes and stop people heading to Arcabuelle?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@thefatcontroller, looks like it, well spotted, I was trying to work out where the top station was going to be located. The new lift is going to make a big difference to options in the 2000 bowl.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, @thefatcontroller, indeed , tis it. The only concern there might be is that you will have to cross the Arondlieres and Vallee de l'Arc traffic , which in turn will be moving at a reasonable speed to deal with the flatish run out to the Mushroom and Arcabulle.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
double post
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rob@rar, the piste is already there to link the two lifts together using the bridge that crosses the stream. If you look at my photos from the summer showing the progress of the lift work it is easy to see the piste. Now it has snow Very Happy Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Smile it is harder to see the route until they bash it. I might even go up for a look next weekend.

Looking at all the snow around i am going to stick my neck out and say, 'based on current weather forecasts (guessess!) I think we are going to now have a good start to the season Very Happy '. Now you can all tell me with nearly a month to go that is a wild guess, but i do not care! Toofy Grin

As for the work going on around les arcs. From what i have heard today all is progressing. The mess of the Mont Blanc lower piste should be sorted in time and most building works have progressed well in the mild weather we were having. For those buying new places hopefully they will meet your finish dates. If anyone has a specfic project they are involved with let me know and i will take a look next weekend.

Over on the La Plagne side, it seems to have gone very quiet about the opening of the new lifts above les Coches. Good or bad news, not sure. I will be asking around and taking a look next weekend.

More to follow next week. It has been quite cold so a base can start to form if it snow more. Keep up the snow dance Very Happy
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
@thefatcontroller, looks like it, well spotted, I was trying to work out where the top station was going to be located. The new lift is going to make a big difference to options in the 2000 bowl.

Sssshh, don't tell everyone. the run form the bottom of Bois to Pre Saint is great on a board but previously the thought of freezing to death on Pre Saint made it awful. Top of Transarc the whole way down will be a great blast.

Comborciere is planned to be replaced next season, if so that will be a great link back out. Takes traffic away from the main areas.
snow conditions
A new Comborciere lift will be a massive game changer!
snow conditions
Jenniper wrote:

Fairly sure it is lined up for replacement next summer ready for 2019 but yes that and Pre Saint as fast lifts would be huge.
ski holidays
Jenniper wrote:

Just concerned it will encourage additional use of Malgovert, and especially by those for whom a 'red' should be OK, but in this case will not be. Sigh: not like the old days eh? Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Just concerned it will encourage additional use of Malgovert, and especially by those for whom a 'red' should be OK, but in this case will not be. Sigh: not like the old days eh?

Yes. A unique run with almost-infinite variation may be trashed ...
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, @Snovillain, Tried Malgovert on skis once and have admit I didn't enjoy, since we have taken to boarding we haven't dared......
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, there are many ways to consider suicide. Malgovert on a board would be one...
snow report
@Arctic Roll, That made me laugh out loud 👍
snow report
Quote:

A new new lift; they replaced the original drag lift some time ago. I will have to take out an old 1:25000 map and a GPS to work out in detail where it went.
Quote:

Just concerned it will encourage additional use of Malgovert, and especially by those for whom a 'red' should be OK, but in this case will not be. Sigh: not like the old days eh? Laughing

Les Arcs does have some more challenging red runs Toofy Grin which I approve.
snow conditions
Intrigued by the comments about Malgovert - what's unusual about it? As someone who hasn't been on skis for a while are there any other pistes I should know about?
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:
@rob@rar,
Looking at all the snow around i am going to stick my neck out and say, 'based on current weather forecasts (guessess!) I think we are going to now have a good start to the season Very Happy '. Now you can all tell me with nearly a month to go that is a wild guess, but i do not care! Toofy Grin

SHHHHH SHHH, please don't jinx it! They might hear you and decide to send us rain instead!
snow report
With the plans to replace Comborciere next summer, do you think they might start to pieste the run? If the conditions are up to it I like to take first time visitors down there for a little work out Toofy Grin
snow report
@Alastair, We've talked a lot about Malgovert on previous Arcs threads, so there is a lot already around on the forum. But to recap...

It is an interesting Natur piste. Interesting that is, in the sense of an interesting choice to use the words 'red' and 'piste'. I don't think it has ever been bashed in its life.

There are trees, bushes, rocks, gullies, uphill bits, and a variety of routes to get down, some harder than others. It is North facing, so ice hard in the morning, damn cold in the late afternoon. Piste marker poles are few and far between - it's width appears to be determined by the mountain, not the pisteurs. Rarely do you go the same way down it twice. It is possible to get lost. On the piste.
There are steeps and steepers: one with moguls that you cannot 'bottle', as you need speed to get up the next bit.

You cannot lap it to practice: once down it takes at least three lifts to get back to the start (Mont Blanc or Cachettes, then Clocheret or Arpettes, finally Combourciere).
Few people ski it, even fewer ski it well.

Walking it in the summer (admittedly with multiple myrtille picking and eating stops) gives you pause - You what? I ski this? Are you F-in mad?

And yet, and yet.

It is the ultimate challenge, and you feel like a skiing god when you get down. It is an incredible adrenaline rush. I have a love hate relationship with it. I love it in good conditions, or even bad when I'm skiing competently. But on a bad day... it takes you in and spits you out.

It is not a 'red' in the normally accepted usage of the term. It is simply the best run in the resort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Roll wrote:
@Alastair
You cannot lap it to practice: once down it takes at least three lifts to get back to the start (Mont Blanc or Cachettes, then Clocheret or Arpettes, finally Combourciere).

Ahem..we did meet the army guys in full back packs, guns the lots skinning up it one morning...........
latest report
@thefatcontroller, doh! Silly me. Of course.

(Thinking about my poetic license of "best" run in resort, actually Robert Blanc and Lanches are pretty good too - but they are called blacks, and are blacks. Malgovert is a force of nature)
ski holidays
Malgovert is certainly an interesting "piste". I've not done it loads for a variety of the aforementioned reasons.

Last year we did it with kids. Bit of a nightmare keeping track of where they were and not doing themselves any harm, whilst trying to enjoy it myself! Ultimately, good fun though.
latest report
@Arctic Roll, the 1/2 pipe part of Lac if not bashed can be carnage too, you never know what it is like till you are in and then it can be too late. We like distance runs so top of Transarc to Peisey (if the snow is good if not we stop by Derby) or top Transarc to bottom of PreSaint is another great run, previously stopped at Marmottoe.
ski holidays
Quote:

With the plans to replace Comborciere next summer, do you think they might start to pieste the run? If the conditions are up to it I like to take first time visitors down there for a little work out Toofy Grin

Comborciere is not actually a "Natur" piste they do bash occaisionally (surely by putting up piste markers it is pisted) I have done it after one such bashing and though it was a pleasant enougth run it had lost a lot of its charm. Personaly I would like it to became a Natur piste and I'm not really looking forward to this proposed blue piste

@Arctic Roll, good description of Malgovert. I agree totally. Where does it actually finish - I seem to come out of the forest abut 1/2 way down Mont Blanc. - have I got lost?

@thefatcontroller, One of the pleasurable routes is from the top of the Grand Col to Pre st Espirit for lunch - to be done non stop of course
ski holidays
@johnE, I find the run to Grand Col flat, then a very cold lift to a nice run but more flat into the bowl just not worth it. Plagnettes right of the top of Transarc and steep, very steep is far more fun. Highly prone also to flat light which I am utterly useless on late afternoon making it too much fun for my wife watching me struggle.
ski holidays
@johnE, apologies I meant groomed. And whilst it may not be a "natur" run, I can safely say that in over 30 years of regular visits to the resort, I've never seen it groomed.
snow report
@wills_h, Been on it a few times when bashed, it is rare but by god it is fast when groomed. Unbashed it is a bitch of a long mogul field, when if you've gone on and the sun hasn't softened the moguls leaves you needing new knees. Nearly had me in tears Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, I'd love to have a go when it has been bashed! As I said, usually I use it to punish, I mean warm up first time unsuspecting visitors, you can't appreciate from the lift just how large those moguls are Toofy Grin
latest report
@wills_h, Sorry crossed wires apologies. Only went on Malgovert once, that nearly killed me, never again and now we have converted to boarding no chance. I am talking the Comborciere run under the lift, a bitch of a mogul field that gets bashed occasionally.
snow report
@johnE, @wills_h, I've seen Combourciere pisted once in our 15 years of visiting, but no need to tell anyone that when boasting of doing it top to bottom non stop!

If they do put a blue in alongside it, there will need to be some terraforming for sure, which will almost certainly reduce the other routes' "interestingness" down that face.

@johnE, I think the 'official' exit of Malgovert is by what used to be the bottom of the Deux Tetes drag so yes, if you are coming back to the Mont Blanc run through the woods, you've 'got lost'. wink
Or followed Snowcrazy
latest report
Only 3 1/2 weeks to go and I am starting to look forward to going skiing. So exited am I that I looked at the livecams and it look quite good (I am breaking my own rules here in getting optimistics about snow in November) Anyway the livecams show snow makers working at Arc 1600 and quite large mounds being formed https://www.lesarcs.com/livecam-combettes.html#ong333

I suppose they are just testing them out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy