Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
The never ending Winter, its dumping again..........................
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Looks perfectly skiable from the Bois de L'Ours / or Arpette lifts today.

We're there in 8 weeks for the walking and the MTB. May have to get the rock-hoppers out of the cave.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arctic Roll, mental isn’t it. Better now than it was January 2017.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Summer is arriving and some news to share so time to kick off this summer thread again. Today there is blue sky and warm temperatures again with only a few high clouds.

However there is still loads of snow around so anyone that likes snowshoeing or hiking and still even ski touring. Les Arcs and the Vanoise National Park is the place to go at Half Term this year. You can even do some mountain biking on the lower trails that are clear of snow (even on the snow is fun!) and some Transfer Bus companies can arrange up lifts for you around the area until the chair lifts open again in July. The river is also flowing so plenty of fun to be had White Water Rafting, Kayaking or many other activities. The play lake should also be good in the warm weather. For those that want to see something special, take a drive up to the Petit Saint Bernard Pass and see how they have made the road through the high snow walls. Quite a sight, but hurry as it will all start to melt very fast now.

For those like me that need to take it easy right now. You can just rest by the pool in the sun or have a gentle stroll around the lake or along the path by the river in the valley. Visit the waterfalls and the valley of Ice. Many mountain Refuges are starting to open now so there are plenty of places to hike.

I hope to see some of you in the coming months. Enjoy the summer.

The other news! They have just started to dismantle the Comborciere Chair. All being well this work should be finished by the start of next winter. They still do not have permission for the new blue/red piste down from the top into the Vallee d'Arc, but everything is hoped to be sorted out by December. Watch this space for more news.

Over on the La Plagne side of the Vanoise Express they have also started work on replacing the Inversens Chair. It will be interesting to see if it reduces the crazy queues we had at times this season in Bellecote La Plagne when trying to get to the top of the Roche de Mio. They plan to have this new chair ready by December.

Last winter gave us an amazing amount of snow. For those coming out in the summer. The north facing slopes should still have snow in many places. This should not spoil our fun and in fact if you have a sledge handy. It could be amazing!

Enjoy!
(To see photos go to Les Arcs Summer facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer/ The Photos and plans are from earlier Les Arcs report, not done by me.)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowcrazy, Very rarely used Comborciere as it was too slow but run from the top to Mont Blanc is just a narrowish/flat run, thinking of whats it like for boarders? Huge plus heading down there and straight to Mont Blanc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
For those that want to see something special, take a drive up to the Petit Saint Bernard Pass and see how they have made the road through the high snow walls. Quite a sight, but hurry as it will all start to melt very fast now.

Any photos @snowcrazy? We're not out until the TDF comes through.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Arctic Roll, https://www.facebook.com/meteoalpes/videos/2157245554302184/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@thefatcontroller, wow. Want to go. Now.

As for @snowcrazy photos - I can see that from the diagrams that the proposed (if approved) Loup doesn't link up with Mont Blanc lift, which is a bit of a shame / missed opportunity imo. (Tree huggers notwithstanding, I get that.)

It does mean Combouciere will help move people more efficiently (and as a valid alternate to L'Ours) from Vallee de l'Arc to 1600, but not vice versa: Loup isn't accessible other than by using the new lift.

Maybe they could put in a wee drag from Mont Blanc lift to Combourciere top station?! wink Or re-purpose 200m of the old chair Laughing snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A discussion about the new lift is on the http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4479 website where it is reported to be the old tsd Portelette from Val Thorens. The route of the proposed new red piste seems to follow the valley parallel to the comborciere combe (combe du muguet) so it should be accessible from the top of the Clocheret lift. Judging by the contours it will be a fairly steep red if they do not put some zig zags in that bit not marked red on the proposal map. I have always had the feeling that this combe is fairly avalanche prone since Muguet is ofeten closed due to avalanch risk and there is a rather steep slope just above it.

I've spent many a happy hour on the old conborciere lift. I quite liked it and the cheerful lifties at the bottom.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, with their reggae and pungent smell of suspicious 'herbs'.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Long day on conference calls so web cam watching in order. Noticed a JCB working from Mont Blanc back up towards Comborciere. I assume construction traffic will have to use this route, is there a clear path through that avoids the mogul run?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Safe for work. The top of Comborciere dismantled. Worth following the pisteurs on FB, they provide some great photos.

https://www.facebook.com/PSdArcs/photos/a.790058974354762.1073741833.323138794380118/2086991457994834/?type=3&theater
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lots of work going on around the top of Mont Blanc, assume they are preparing for lorries to head up to the top of Comborciere. Reality is it is a quite a short window to put in a lift over a summer, especially one this high where late now kept access clsoed for later than I imagine they thought it would.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, 18 / 19 really, but season dates and lift passes announced:

see

https://www.lesarcsnet.com/news/les-arcs-announce-winter-201819-lift-pass-prices-les-arcs-(var)-716717

for details

Season runs:

15th Dec. – 27th April. The Vanoise Express opens 22nd Dec. but appears to stay open to end of season.

Not sure that the quoted pass prices are correct – currently showing as €169 for a 6 day Adult Arcs price (buy now! but I suspect they mean €269…), €305 for Paradiski
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Work on Comborciere. It is safe for work and you don't need to be a Facebook member to see.

https://www.facebook.com/LaMatinaleLesArcs/photos/pcb.1846812908673358/1846812832006699/?type=3&theater

Looks like it will be right beside Pre Saint not down that flat section which is a pain on a board.

The photos also show work at the bottom of Marmotte, anyone know whats going on there?
ski holidays
650kg of rubbish picked up today..

https://www.facebook.com/pg/lesarcs/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10155388396956759
snow conditions
Anyone in les arcs this week and fancy meeting up for a drink?
latest report
Aside from the change to Comborciere, are there any other upgrades to the lift system going on this summer?
snow conditions
I had a walk up the mont blanc piste and Malgovert yesterday to the top of Comborciere to see what was going on. Well apart from them closing the path to signal and hence onwards (no sign at the bottom that you have to turn back and retrace your steps) they have a lot of heavy rock moving equipment reshaping the top of the Comborciere piste and gently leading it into the adjacent valley. A concrete plinth has been created for the top station and the old pylons appear to have been removed. I imagine quite a lot of other work is going on further down.
latest report
Just back from a great two weeks in 1950, walking and watching the TdF. If only I knew how to include more than one piccy per post...

@thefatcontroller, Work at Marmottes is the new Hameau des Ours to be run by VIP Ski. 3 buildings, 4517 sq meters, 52 apartments (36 for saisionnaires), 9 storeys ( inc. ground floor). Will include replacement Ski patrol office. Part opened this coming winter, to be completed the year after.

A lot of not impressed 1950 owners... The hole is effin huge now - expected to be some 9 metres of building protruding above the current piste level, so will impact our view considerably. Bah. Who said 1950 was the last development in the valley? Clearly M. Iogna (SoTarBat) has more influence with the mayor and planning authorities than Intrawest!

The bottom of the New Combourciere is coming along nicely. About 20m from the new Pre St Esprit. I'm told that the new red route will bring you out just above that - although they haven't started the terra-forming of it yet, it is expected by locals to be zig-zagging across the black and into the 'old' gully, skiers right of Combouciere. This will not impress the gnarly crowd. They've laid the bases of some of the new pylons.
Meanwhile there is a lot of the spoil from above mentioned development going to cover the snow storing building at Pre in an 'eco friendly' manner: will be grassed over by next summer. A lot of it is going to also widen the exit from the black Combourciere to where the old Pre was - no bad thing imv: that track was a 'challenge'. A major challenge when using the 2000 road between the two at the moment - huge dumper trucks going up and down at a rate of about 15 an hour...

They expect to also put a tow-rope from the old Combourciere base station back up to Pre in case you miss the turning.

@johnE, any sign of similar from Mont Blanc top station to Combouciere?

More snow making going in from just past Solliet to Villaroger.

They are also removing the two tennis courts next to Varet, replacing them with one in 1950 (already opened) and one in 2000 for next summer Can't think why - oh wait...someone must be making money.

The Club Med at 1600 is looking almost ready to go - some new routes appear to be being made to get around the front of it (bridges with snow making and markers in the tree for a XC option - unless that's been there before?), but only transition pistes, not genuine additional skiing.

According to "my sources" Bourg StM Mayor is very concerned about the increase in Cold beds in 1800, and hence why L'Oursons and Club Med have been approved without major additional pistes. They think the added heads will be absorbed because there are so many 'blanks' (Failing to account for the times, oh I don't know, say like Half term, when 1800 isn't empty...). Golden Goose on simmer I fear.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 30-07-18 16:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Arctic Roll wrote:
If only I knew how to include more than one piccy per post...

Open an account at imgur, load them there and use the URL link.
snow report
@Arctic Roll, Thanks for update, cna't get my head around that new build but givne up thinking of where else they 'won't' build!

@Layne,Imgur is great but you don't need to open an account to get multi pictures?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
@Layne,Imgur is great but you don't need to open an account to get multi pictures?

Not sure what Arctic is currently doing to post pictures or indeed what he means by multi pictures. But my guess was that he was using the SH's inbuilt facility and as a result can only had one picture at a time. I was just relating what as it may solve the issue/restriction.

Note: I previously mostly used photobucket but they ditched their free offering (as is their right) which broke all my links. I believe imgur to have greater longetivity but no guarantees. I've also use SH's offshoot snowmediazone but it's a bit clunky and has it's limitations.

I think some threads come alive with some pics embedded.
latest report
@Layne, thanks - indeed I usually just post with the inbuilt snowheads capability. Looks like i may have to get technically competent!
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, have a look at imgur and perhaps do a test with one picture and what not. Give me a shout if you need any help.
latest report
@Arctic Roll, Imgur is great. No need for an acount. Upload a few phootos, then hover over the arrow, click 'get share links' and the 4 options appear for each photo, use the BB code forum. Very easy

ski holidays

Before we get all fancy with multiple pictures:

What the Architects sold to the burghers of Bourg (Photoshop of a shot effectively taken from my balcony) for the new build below 1950
latest report
@Arctic Roll, need my glasses on! That is down the road by where the bashers park?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
unnecessary link now have Imgur sorted...

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 30-07-18 17:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@thefatcontroller, It's this side of the road from the basher park - between 1950 and the curve on the road. Let me get IMgur sorted and there more "real" photos to see...
snow report

Oh My - these are big...
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, Fabulous darling. Big holes deserve big pictures.
ski holidays
Meanwhile, down at Combouciere... (yet more big pictures. But getting the hang of this!)

First wheels go onto base station

A few days beforehand: (you should be able to judge the location of the station in relation to Chalet Pre St Esprit and the PsE lift. Note also the digger on the roof of the snow-store.

Terraforming at the top - taken from Drosset:
latest report
And finally, a couple of shots of the Sky boys, Geraint and Chris... ( obviously before he got the yellow: this is in Seez, on the way up to Rosiere)

snow conditions
I got a lift down from the top of the Cachette lift with the lifty on Friday (I didn't know where that track went). Anyway that club med building is a complete eyesore and very noticible from the Moutier - Bourg road. I wonder how they ever got planning permission? 1100 new beds will complete swamp the Mount Black and Cachette lifts in the morning.

@Arctic Roll, There is no sign of any link from the top of Mont Black to the top of Combourcier. Or any easy way into the red from the top of Clocherete.

I liked your picture from Droset.
snow report
@Arctic Roll, Great pictures thanks.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
There is no sign of any link from the top of Mont Black to the top of Combourcier.
Would that be possible? Isn't the top of Mt Blanc lift lower than the entrance to Combourcier?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
johnE wrote:
There is no sign of any link from the top of Mont Black to the top of Combourcier.
Would that be possible? Isn't the top of Mt Blanc lift lower than the entrance to Combourcier?

The only way back would be via Clocheret?

snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Yes, but the Muguet piste is steep and often closed. The usual route from 1600 is via the Arpette ridge and the options from there.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Yes, but the Muguet piste is steep and often closed. The usual route from 1600 is via the Arpette ridge and the options from there.

Addition of Carelly lift makes a huge difference there. On a board from top of Carelly to bottom is a great blast and avoids the flat at the top ridge and home into 2000 has options too via Lac or otherwise.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy