Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for First Time Austrian Trip

Poster: A snowHead
So.....kind of embarrassing to confess, but in 20 years skiing I’ve never been to Austria Embarassed
Planning to rectify this with a weeks’s trip in March - probably weekend of 17/18th - likely to just be me & hubby, perhaps one other couple.
I’ve really no idea where would be a good bet snow-wise to go. Solden? Ischgl? Kaprun? Any other ideas/tips? Thanks for any feedback folks Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What are your feelings on apres, crowds, offpiste, budget ???
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not the OP, but always on the search for new areas, so I will go with: like (but raucous nor late night not preferred), hate, love (but not essential), large.

Recommendations?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We’re both pretty good skiers - more on piste than off, but if the conditions are fresh(ish) snow then I’m def more off the piste. Self employed so also more of a feartie these days re falling! Very Happy
Apres - we are pair of old gits so partying in my ski boots whilst slopping beer down the clothes I have to wear all week is not quite as important as it once was Laughing So long as there’s a few decent pubs within striking distance of base then it’s fine.
Budget a bit vague but may be stuck taking a package (oh God not done that since about 1995) as flights to Innsbruck from Scotland kinda non existent.
Crowds, would rather avoid, but get that every place has bottlenecks & sometimes you just have to suck it up & stand in the lift queue or whatever.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@malarkey99, could do EDI to Salzburg if you'd rather avoid a package, only about an hour to Ski Amade then and a whole host of resorts to choose from.

Edit: Didn't think that anywhere was a particularly bad choice for snow this season, my FB seems to be filled with pictures from people having more fun than me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, I did think of flying to Salzburg/Munich but some of the resorts within driving distance are not that high. Would lower Austrian resorts be ok then? That’s my main worry with some of them - that there’s no access to higher slopes to avoid ice/slush.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't forget that Austrian resorts are generally in the valleys rather than almost on the mountain tops. As long as it's cold enough, there'll be snow.
Saalbach is a huge ski area, likewise Skiwelt, and if you have transport then there's loads within a short drive of e.g. Kitzbuhel (which is pretty big in its own right!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bad Hofgastein and the Alpentherme! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about Tux valley? Went to Lanersbach a few years back and loved it. Approx 2hours from Munich and easy access to Mayerhofen in one direction with Hintertux Glacier in the other should conditions be starting to deteriorate. Great ski area with a real sense of travel. Lovely little town with a few cosy bars and a smattering of boot stomping venues should you want. Bergfried Hotel was very comfortable but you will be hard pressed to find poor accommodation anywhere in Austria.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don’t worry about the height it’ll be fine. I’d recommend Ski Amadé or Saalbach.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saalbach!

You can thank us later.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@malarkey99,
It would help if you could name the most important things you want out of the resort.

- Sölden, Ischgl and Kaprun should all offer good snow in March and are quite reachable from Munich.
- Saalbach is quaint and close to Salzburg. It is also a big resort.
- St. Anton is easily reachable by train from Zurich airport.
- Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis is adorable in my view, especially Serfaus. Good skiing too.

I don't know why I seem to go for resorts beginning with S...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I really wouldn't bother with Kaprun. We found getting to the glacier a pain and the skiing dull.

My shouts would be Schladming
Wagrain
Altenmarkt/Zauchensee
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can everyone please stop recommending Altenmarkt/Zauchensee ? We all know how terrible it is Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flight to Innsbruck and less than an hour drive to Mayrhofen... Not as noisy for après as you'd think. Good fun in the ice bar at the bottom of the penkenbahn at 4pm and then you have to work reasonably hard to find the noisy spots.

The area around the fun park is full of sun loungers / bean bags / music and great food. Plus surrounded by miles & miles of fantastic skiing. Highly recommend it.
snow conditions
@malarkey99, Edinburgh to Innsbruck with Tui. Check out prices with crystal or ski-flights.com
My personal favourite is St Anton but it ain’t for everyone. Pistes can get crowded and bumpy on the main routes back to town. Love Hinterglemm and Saalbach too - everything is so well linked up and tree lined slopes pretty much everywhere which is handy when it’s snowing. Apres not too shabby either 😀
I’m not long back from Kappl/Ischgl. On piste skiing is better than St Anton imo but Ischgl doesn’t do it for me although plenty of people love it.
snow conditions
!!! SPAM ALERT !!! SPAM ALERT !!! SPAM ALERT !!! SPAM ALERT !!! SPAM ALERT !!!

malarkey99 wrote:
So.....kind of embarrassing to confess, but in 20 years skiing I’ve never been to Austria Embarassed
Planning to rectify this with a weeks’s trip in March - probably weekend of 17/18th - likely to just be me & hubby, perhaps one other couple.
I’ve really no idea where would be a good bet snow-wise to go. Solden? Ischgl? Kaprun? Any other ideas/tips? Thanks for any feedback folks Very Happy

!!! ME !!! ME !!! ME !!! ME !!! ME !!! ME !!! ME !!! ME !!! ME !!!

We are pretty much empty from then on... and offer decent access to all those them there Ski Amadé places mentioned above wink

(was that too loud for you Timberwolf?
ski holidays
Thanks for all the suggestions/feedback folks, really appreciate it.
Lots to think about! Going to dump my original ideas if height not an issue.
Interestingly the Innsbruck flights have come down a wee bit - were £300pp, now £260 - the thieving gits can’t be shifting as many seats as they’d like to.
Back to the drawing board! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
They were as low as £150 or so last minute in Jan. I paid £229 in April for Jan flight.
snow conditions
EDI to Salzburg is £117 return at the moment for the 17th March.
ski holidays
Mayrhofen for me. Just make sure you aren't going during snowbombing.....

It's a cracking resort IMO, with loads of great bars and apres. Hintertux glacier is a great ski, and is a short free bus journey away.

And if you go, don't leave without trying hans the butcher. It's just across from the main gondola, and serves incredible food.
latest report
@malarkey99, If you're considering Saalbach (as has been suggested by a few people), I would be happy to send you my comprehensive 20 page guide to everything you need to know - flights, transfers, ski packs, bars, restaurants, skiing, apres-ski, etc. - just PM me your email address. We can also provide a ski-in ski-out apartment for that week (however, if you prefer walking and bussing, as well as a smaller area, go to Mayrhofen Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
@malarkey99, cheap flights Edinburgh to Salzburg, 45 minute transfer to Haus Suzanne in Radstadt, right at the centre of Ski Amadé, 760km of pistes. Currently experiencing an above average snow season with plenty more showing on the forecast. The snow line is much lower here so you get good conditions from up high to down amongst the trees. March historically still has really good conditions with the advantage of empty pistes and lots of sunshine. Seriously, there's nothing not to like.
latest report
+1

Have been out in Ski Amade since early January, absolutely loads of fantastic skiing with only one day of poor conditions in the last five weeks! Snow conditions excellent, not excessively busy, and just really good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy