Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2017/18 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
gandie wrote:
I've just received an invoice from crystal.....................which means its only 10 weeks till Saalbach Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Can't wait, that's all.

10 weeks to get the actions to "Cowboys und Indianer" spot on.

http://youtube.com/v/bdyJ3Be7a1Q
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No need to practise, the first half dozen beers works for me!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gandie, Yet another one going on 6th January, yet that's the only week in which I've had little interest (maybe no one wants to be there for the Russian Christmas Puzzled ). Could be a quiet week (speaking relatively of course).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tatmanstours, no its the week after. I've had experience of the Russian new year in Ischgl and decided it was best avoided.

In fact the hotel owners in Ischgl said that the Russians were the second worse type of guests they had. The worst were the Brits. Embarassed

That's when we moved our January week to Saalbach and now wouldn't go back, much better atmosphere in the town as well as the skiing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gandie, that’s good to know as I’m going 13th Jan as well
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First ever ski hol in Austria booked! Very Happy

Staying in Fieberbrunn for the week of 27th Jan.

Anyone have any idea on how long it would take to ski from there to lunch at the Chicken Man in Leogang?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MrSteve, Interesting question. Allow about two and a half hours to three hours I reckon, although much depends on the speed at which you ski. I've taken an average. Some people would no doubt be quicker than that, others a lot slower.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gandie, We don't seem to have had many Russian visitors in Saalbach last season or the one before (unless I just haven't noticed them). Maybe they're all in Ischgl (and Courchevel). We had some Russian guests a few years back - nice people but communication was difficult. Also they had a friend who seemed to like his vodka a bit too much and seemed to have a few derogatory things to say about our royal family. (Lucky for him it wasn't about the Royle family, or I'd have been upset).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And I thought it was just Scotsmen you had difficulty communicating with
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kb36, Only when they've been on the Jagatee wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll be there on Jan 6th with wife and 2 other guys, anyone else there?? (I know Richard will be).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skivor, I suspect that the response may be a resounding silence, which is what I get when I try to spread the word (but not in Russia) that we have a ski-in ski-out apartment going begging for that week.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tatmanstours wrote:
@MrSteve, Interesting question. Allow about two and a half hours to three hours I reckon, although much depends on the speed at which you ski. I've taken an average. Some people would no doubt be quicker than that, others a lot slower.

Definitely average skiers! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No updates since friday? I guess the resort will be empty this season Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Can any recommend a good ski hire in Hinterglemm?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Off to Saalbach on the 6th January, staying at the Norika which will be a change from the wonderful Alpinresort. Probably spend too much time in Bobby's and his nasty beer! Hope my arthritic knee will be up to the skiing.
ski holidays
@Eddy, Presumably one of the big differences, assuming that you have previously had half board at the Alpinresort, is that you’ll be able to sample all those great village restaurants and maybe indulge yourself a bit more in the mountain restaurants. We tend to eat when we’re hungry, which is one of the benefits of not being tied to hotel meal times. This can mean a meal up the mountain at any time of day or early evening, or a pizza, burger or dish of the day in Bobby’s at any time of night. (I’ll look out for someone with a limp in Bobby’s during that week Very Happy )
ski holidays
I take your point, Tatman, but I have also stayed B and B at various other places including Haus Pilch, Eder and Siegmundshof. One leg dancing at the Hinterhag may be tricky!
Do you know Johnny Walker and Fraser? There is also another English guy that I have skied with (and his wife) whose name escapes me at the moment who also instructs and has a couple of apartments in Saalbach.
ski holidays
Finding it very hard to get accommodation in hinterglemm for first week of feb was wandering was this normal or would i be better off trying saalbach.
snow conditions
@Chick, you've probably left it a bit late for the peak month, but if you look at places away from the centre of the village on Pfefferweg or further out you may be able to find something. Saalbach may have more options still available, but 50% of the accommodation for that week was probably booked before June, and 75% before September.
ski holidays
We are looking for 5 nights only starting on the sat si this could also be a stumbling block.
ski holidays
@chick, depends on budget and for how many people?

I can see some options for 2 people on Saalbach.com that week for 5 days, but not cheap !!
ski holidays
@Chick, Unfortunately we can't help - we only have w/c 6th January available during the main season (also first half of December and second half of March), but I will ask around. You will find it easier if you book a week Sat - Sat.
ski holidays
Thanks tatmantours. We are a mixed group of 8 adults so would need 4 rooms. Ideally we would like to revisit the ski circus but if we have no luck we might try Marie Alm. We are bringing some new skiers with us this year so would like to show them somewhere with some decent Apres at the days end,not sure if it fits the bill.
latest report
@Chick, no problem - the Alpine Palace can do half board in 4 double rooms at €4K per room wink

If that's not quite the budget you had in mind, https://www.saalbach.com/en has several hotels, pensions and mountain guesthouses which have 4 doubles available, from €1300 per room upwards. If you want something cheaper, Hotel-Pension Schattberg in Saalbach has rooms from €866 for B&B. Use the advanced search options to specify Hinterglemm only, and then sort the results by price to get a better idea.
snow conditions
Thanks ouskekjarr
snow report
Hi Mr. Tatman,A question please .. We have 3 kids under 6 going to Saalbach hoping to go into Bobos! Do we get an" all in package" which will include lift pass or do we book class and lift pass separately..I presume they would not need a skipass for the first few days . Thanks in advance!
snow report
@Chick, We have a friend who has two apartments available in Viehhofen for the week beginning 3rd Feb. PM me if interested.
ski holidays
@alicia, My understanding is that children who were born after 2011 do not need lift passes. The information about passes on saalbach.com defines a "child" as a person born in 2002 - 2011. So if your children will all be under 6, I assume that that answers your question.

We have had guests who have enrolled their small children into Bobo's, and, if the kids are total beginners, they have started off on a small baby slope behind the Hotel Unterwirt in the village centre. There are little conveyor belts to get the kids back up the slope. I imagine they graduate from there either to the small nursery slope that is just the other side of our garden fence, the "Kreuzkapelle" beginners' slope, or to the larger nursery area opposite our apartments, the "Turmwiese". After a few days (probably the fourth or fifth day, the children are very excited to be taken "up the big mountain".

I'm not as au fait with the niceties of children's ski school packages as I would like to be, so, if you would like to be sure of the situation, I suggest that you email Furstauer Ski School (which, as I'm sure you're aware is the ski school that operates Bobo's Children's Club). You could also try asking Snowhead "quinton", who is pretty clued up about tuition in Saalbach.

Incidentally, if you're hiring your equipment from Hansi's Best-Price, Hansi can arrange childrens' packages, to include equipment and ski-school (with Furstauer). This is a normal part of his business, and the price will be the same as you would pay to the ski school. His shop is a stone's throw from the Hotel Unterwirt - the Bobo's meeting place. (If you do use Hansi, mention my name for a worthwhile discount on other equipment hire, but unfortunately not on children's packages.)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Eddy,
Quote:

I take your point, Tatman, but I have also stayed B and B at various other places including Haus Pilch, Eder and Siegmundshof. One leg dancing at the Hinterhag may be tricky!
Do you know Johnny Walker and Fraser? There is also another English guy that I have skied with (and his wife) whose name escapes me at the moment who also instructs and has a couple of apartments in Saalbach.

Clearly my suggestion of avoiding half board in favour of sampling Saalbach's eclectic array of restaurants (not forgetting the excellent bar meals in Bobby's) amounts to preaching to the converted! Plenty of people seem to manage dancing in the Hinterhag while legless, so one leg might be regarded as a bonus.
I know Johnny Walker pretty well, and I should know Fraser but can't put a face to the name. The other guy you're referring to is Steve Rothwell, a good friend of ours.
If you'd like to meet for a beer when you're in Saalbach, give me a ring - my phone number is on my website (see link below).
latest report
@tatmanstours, Thank you so much , your reply has been so useful
latest report
Myself and a friend will be in Saalbach on 6th Jan.. can’t wait as conditions looking fantastic already.... live webcam every morning over breaky.. lol
Looking forward to apres in Bergeralm followed by Hinterhag of course 😃👍🎿🍻
ski holidays
Some friends of mine have been skiing in Saalbach and Leogang this weekend and seem to have thoroughly enjoyed it. Visibility poor at times but loads of powder.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, excellent
Can’t wait for 13th Jan-first visit to Saalbach for me.
ski holidays
I'll be there 2nd to 6th Jan, but not sure I'll get to ski - wedding planning!, but I'll make it for it when I'm straight back for the 14th-19th.
snow conditions
@NickYoung, should be a good week hopefully
As long as it stays cold
Although there is more snow in the forecast anyway snowHead
snow conditions
After considering other places my mates and I have decided to make out 4th visit to Saalbach, yipee! We're back at the Post but they're not doing Half Board this year so we'll be asking for restaurant tips. Anyhow, we're there 27th Jan for a week.
latest report
Have been in Saalbach for the 3rd week of Jan for the last 10 years and have never had a bad snow week.

I trust the Snowgods to deliver again.

Then need snow for the week of 15th December 2018 for the wedding!
ski holidays
Quote:

We're back at the Post but they're not doing Half Board this year so we'll be asking for restaurant tips.

@PeteMan, Congratulations! Not having hotel half board adds a whole new dimension to the holiday. You can now sample some of Saalbach's great restaurants, as well as stay to the end (7.30pm) at the apres-ski parties, and maybe dine in Hinterglemm one evening - perhaps after the Goassstall and/or night skiing and/or toboganning. There is also the Spielberghaus toboggan evening, which includes a meal. It's also an excuse to extend yourself a bit at lunchtime in some of the really good mountain restaurants (e.g. Alte Schmiede, Asitzbraeu, Hendl Fischerei, Kralleralm, Bergeralm, Westernstadl, Wieseralm, Hintermaisalm), on the promise to yourself that you'll just have something light, or a burger or share a pizza (if you still feel hungry) in Bobby's later on.
Our favourite village restaurants: Schattberg Stub'n, Kohlmaisstub'n, Wallners', Del Rossi, Baeckstaettstall, Eva Alm, and of course Bobby's. Also in Hinterglemm the Knappenstube and the Heurigenstube. Also at Jausern the Tiroler Baum has an excellent reputation.
Can't wait!
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, indeed whilst we've had no complaints about the food or service in the Post it will be nice to eat out and as you say, perhaps make more pigs of ourselves during the day. I'll look into your recommendations but I have to say that the food in the Eva Alm (Ribs) has looked particularly good when I've spied it on the way to the bogs. Furthermore, the reduction in the room rate at the Post (-€30 pppn) should be plenty to pay for the evening meal. What's not to like?
latest report
@PeteMan, That nightly room rate reduction for one person is enough to feed a family of four in Bobby’s (where, incidentally, you will find possibly the best ribs in Saalbach on Wednesday evenings, as well as some of the best pizzas in Saalbach on any evening.) Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy