Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2017/18 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
nozawaonsen wrote:
Thurneralm good for Stiegl!

Do they still do the really good spare ribs there?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Valkyrie wrote:
We (me and my wife) are heading to Saalbach next Saturday and I'm looking for some advice. We're staying at Appartement Memory, which is on the main road between Saalbach and Hinterglemm. It looks like it's pretty close to a bus stop and I'm trying to decide if we should just keep our ski gear in the apartment and get the bus to the lifts every day or if it'd be better to rent lockers at a lift and just walk it. Are there any lockers available to rent at the main lifts? The Schattberg X-Press looks to be the closest but I think my wife would prefer the skiing from the Bernkogelbahn. And is the ski-bus service good? I'm happy to get a bus if it's reasonably frequent and we can actually get on, I've had a few bad experiences of waiting for buses in places like Zurs and finding that they're completely full when they arrive.

Another question - I usually service our skis myself, but I think they're about due a base grind which I can't do. Any recommendations for good skis services in Saalbach?

Thanks!

I think where you're staying is near where we stayed first time in saalbach (pension Gabi). If there's enough snow, which I'm sure there's more than enough at the moment! You can ski back almost to your hotel via 34a.Tatmanstours could possibly confirm this for me. It looks to come down slightly further along the road but there's various little off shoots. We could practically get to our door. Buses obviously regular but we had a couple of mornings it was too full to get on. Especially if you are trying to get in early. Most of our group stored gear in town hire shop (not sure which as I skied back every day) If you're in big enough groups taxis are easy option, especially if indulging in apres. Hence we've stayed more central since that trip. Pension Gabi was immaculate and had excellent breakfasts but we are a group of lads who go straight out on the apres and stay out.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Tatmanstours could possibly confirm this for me.

Confirmed - a useful piste for anyone staying in that area (useless for anyone else).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Arriving in Saalbach next weekend and just got a couple of quick questions!

#1.) Large beer / Large wine :- average mountain price / cheapest place / most expensive place. My group tend to become creatures of habit, so if we hit the right place early on, we will probably keep going back!!

@letsgetpiste, Cheapest - probably the Bergeralm between 3.30-4.30pm every day - 2 drinks for the price of one, so a 0.5 L beer works out at little over 2 euros. Most expensive - possibly the Kuhstall, but only because you get a 0.3 L beer for the price of a 0.5 L one elsewhere. Don't let it put you off - just drink a bit slower.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@VolklAttivaS5, s-h is absolutely crammed with mountain bikers in summer and a big park in Leogang from memory. It’s a right strange mix - Zell is full or Arabs and Hinterglemm awash with Orthodox Jews and downhill mountain bikers. Can highly recommend the area in the summer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@boabski, the videos online look good
Anywhere else you’d recommend that is good but not as busy?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@VolklAttivaS5, in fairness the tracks didn’t look too busy at all. Admittedly we were only walking but spent a wee bit of time looking at them coming down some of the jumps. Looked great fun.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boabski, oh ok that’s good
Yes the tracks look ‘nice’ and suitable for all levels as I’ve not actually done any mountain biking before
Not like that anyway
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@VolklAttivaS5, I've spent my past two summer hols biking S-H-L. It is indeed excellent. Whilst you get the impression it is rammed with bikers the trails are fine.

If you've never done any mountain biking before it would be worth getting a few days in somewhere in the UK first. The trails in Sallbach-Hinterglemm aren't mega extreme but still tricky enough if you've not ridden before. Some of the trails in Leogang are proper technical downhilling. The Milka Line, Hacklberg and the Blue Line are the trails to get started on. The Hacklberg is excellent - 10km of downhill and about 1000m of descent.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I made the mistake of going into the black trail in the woods above the Leogang finish and pooped myself, super scary northshore halfway up trees an BIg dropoffs!! Ended up taking the bike for a walk all the way through, although I just about didn't need a poopy bag! Embarassed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hammerite, yeah I definitely would do, there’s stacks around by where I live anyway as it’s hilly and rural. I might even have a go locally when I get around to it now I’ve seen the sort of bikes you can play on in that shop in Leogang!
I couldn’t go this summer anyway as I’ve already got diving holidays booked to Egypt, but next year is a possibility unless something happens and they stop flights to Egypt or something. If Thomas Cook cancel any of them then I could consider a summer trip to the Alps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ahem isn't this snowheads?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Getting back to the topic of (apres) skiing, my mate informs me that next Wednesday (31/1) there's a Heineken promotion night at Bauers with 'Frontal' live on stage.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Epic skiing today - pistes in absolutely fantastic condition - unexpected after all the funny weather. Had a blast around Fieberbrunn and wound up at the Bergeralm for happy hour, followed by the Hinterhag, which was crazy as usual. Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” was an inspired choice for the closer - had everyone singing along and (coupled with a couple of Jagatees and a beer) made me forget that I’m still suffering from the tail end of man flu. Dragging myself off to see “Cuckoo” (brilliant Irish band, on every Wednesday in Bobby’s) now. Plenty of time to collapse later.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bags are packed and we're counting down the hours. I'm adamant that we can make it up to the Burgeralm for at least a drink or two, hopefully the tail end of happy hour on Saturday. It'll be a rush picking up skis, lift pass and checking in to our accommodation but beer and schnapps is a great motivator! Might bump in to you next week.
snow report
Only 2 sleeps to go before we head to Fieberbrunn. Bedtime reading will be the piste map and tatmanstours guides!
snow report
@Valkyrie, looking at your apartment the building is called Domizil, it's near the Die Sonne hotel, you have a choice of two bus stops, if your in the rush hour you can opt to take the bus up to Hinterglemm, we (2 of us)usually manage to squeeze on the bus heading to the Schattberg, however the bus stop towards Hinterglemm is pretty much directly opposite, we take the bus up to the Hochalmbahn it's a very short walk to the lift, or we get off at the Zwolferkogelbahn again a very short walk to the lift.

Getting back to the apartment you can ski 34a, near the bottom look for the sign to Die Sonne, you cross a narrow bridge then a road (you will need to take skis off to cross the single track road).

this is taken from 34a, there are two similar apartment buildings yours is on the right. I wouldn't go for a locker as it limits your choices.
latest report
what are conditions like? Are the slopes getting slushy at all?
snow conditions
@Wilip, The last couple of days have been similar to this time last year - beautiful, sunny weather, and relatively cool temperatures,keeping the pistes in good condition all day. I haven’t encountered any slush in the afternoons, and I went over to Fieberbrunn on Wednesday and Leogang yesterday.
ski holidays
tatman - Any chance of providing a list of what bands, singers, etc (including Elvis night) play and on which night at the different venues in Saalbach?

And what would be a decent after meal venue for a Saturday night? Last year Bobby's was fairly quiet and we didnt know where else to try as we thought it may be quiet everywhere else!! Thx
latest report
@jimmybog, A good suggestion, as I've noticed that people are sometimes sitting in relatively empty bars or wandering the streets aimlessly, oblivious of the fact that on that particular evening something highly entertaining is going on in a certain bar. Occasionally I get talking to people as I walk through the village and recommend them to where "it's happening", and they're invariably very grateful. So here my list:

Sunday (10.00pm onwards) - Spacey in Otzi Bar
Monday (10.00pm onwards) - Spacey's classic rock/electric guitar show in Bobby's Pub
Tuesday (5.30-7.30pm) - Spacey's apres-ski party at Spitzbub
Wednesday (10.00pm onwards) - Cuckoo (Irish band) in Bobby's; also Spacey in Otzi Bar (Makes for a good evening to do both)
Thursday (5.30-7.30pm) - Spacey's apres-ski party at Spitzbub; Elvis/Tom Jones show in Berger's Sport Hotel
Friday - nothing in particular
Saturday - ditto

Friday and Saturday evening tend to be quieter, as people are either getting an early night for an early departure on Saturday morning, or they're recovering from their early start and travelling on the Saturday. However those nights provide an opportunity to sample some of the bars that don't provide entertainment on specific nights - like:
Underbar (live singer/guitarist every evening, and a very popular and lively party atmosphere)
Crazy Deer (under new Dutch management, very friendly, live entertainment on some nights)
Zum Turm (atmospheric interior - sometimes worth a visit, depends on the night)
Taverne (more of a night club atmosphere, but friendly welcome from Jonny (Yorkshireman) at the bar at the far end, good music)
Castellos (bigger night club, live bands some nights, popular with younger set)
Spitzbub - interior bar (friendly little bar, can be a very convivial atmosphere, and they will play requests on the sound system)(as will Otzi Bar)
Post Bar - brand new bar in the village centre. Nice atmosphere, decor, lighting, music. Street level so can people-watch.

It goes without saying that the Hinterhag Alm apres-ski party is on every day from 4.00 to at least 7.30pm and will leave most people feeling satiated and not in need of any particularly lively entertainment later in the evening.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 2-02-18 19:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@jimmybog, A good suggestion, as I've noticed that people are sometimes sitting in relatively empty bars or wandering the streets aimlessly, oblivious of the fact that on that particular evening something highly entertaining is going on in a certain bar. Occasionally I get talking to people as I walk through the village and recommend them to where "it's happening", and they're invariably very grateful. So here my list:

Sunday (10.00pm onwards) - Spacey in Otzi Bar
Monday (10.00pm onwards) - Spacey's classic rock/electric guitar show in Bobby's Pub
Tuesday (5.30-7.30pm) - Spacey's apres-ski party at Spitzbub
Wednesday (10.00pm onwards) - Cuckoo (Irish band) in Bobby's; also Spacey in Otzi Bar (Makes for a good evening to do both)
Thursday (5.30-7.30pm) - Spacey's apres-ski party at Spitzbub; Elvis/Tom Jones show in Berger's Sport Hotel
Friday - nothing in particular
Saturday - ditto

Friday and Saturday evening tend to be quieter, as people are either getting an early night for an early departure on Saturday morning, or they're recovering from their early start and travelling on the Saturday. However those nights provide an opportunity to sample some of the bars that don't provide entertainment on specific nights - like:
Underbar (live singer/guitarist every evening, and a very popular and lively party atmosphere)
Crazy Deer (under new Dutch management, very friendly, live entertainment on some nights)
Zum Turm (atmospheric interior - sometimes worth a visit, depends on the night)
Taverne (more of a night club atmosphere, but friendly welcome from Jonny (Yorkshireman) at the bar at the far end, good music)
Castellos (bigger night club, live bands some nights, popular with younger set)
Spitzbub - interior bar (friendly little bar, can be a very convivial atmosphere, and they will play requests on the sound system)(as will Otzi Bar)

It goes without saying that the Hinterhag Alm apres-ski party is on every day from 4.00 to at least 7.30pm and will leave most people feeling satiated and not in need of any particularly lively entertainment later in the evening.

Fantastic, thanks Richard.

What time does the singer/guitarist in Underbar start?
snow report
Quote:

Around 10pm. It's worth making the point, for those who don't already know, that Austrian apres-ski time is from around 4.00-7.30pm, give or take half an hour in either direction, then it all goes quiet until between 9.30-10.00pm, because people are expected to want to shower, change and eat. Then it all kicks off again with the "apres-apres-ski" from 10.00pm. I saw a comment on here from someone a couple of weeks ago, wondering why the bars were so quiet in the middle of the evening - that is why.
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Around 10pm. It's worth making the point, for those who don't already know, that Austrian apres-ski time is from around 4.00-7.30pm, give or take half an hour in either direction, then it all goes quiet until between 9.30-10.00pm, because people are expected to want to shower, change and eat. Then it all kicks off again with the "apres-apres-ski" from 10.00pm. I saw a comment on here from someone a couple of weeks ago, wondering why the bars were so quiet in the middle of the evening - that is why.

Thanks Richard. The hard bit is now being sensible during apres time so I can drag myself out after dinner Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
I heartily recommend the Elvis Presley/Tom Jones night at Berger's Sport Hotel; we're still giggling about it 10 months on! Very Happy
snow report
@jimmybog, When holidaying in Saalbach, it certainly helps to pace yourself wink

@LOTA, I was taking to "Elvis" a few weeks ago, as he happened to be sitting next to me at the bar before his performance. He confided that he is far from fluent in English (which was already pretty obvious to me) and sometimes finds it difficult to secure work, because prospective employers find it difficult to believe that he is capable, with such a poor command of English and looking like he does, of doing convincing impersonations of Elvis and Tom. However everyone we know who attends his performances seems to thoroughly enjoy them. Further proof of two of life's truisms: sometimes something can be so bad it's good, and sometimes, especially when in Saalbach, the most unlikely entertainment can be great fun, provided that you cast off your preconceptions.
(matejp has just shown me a recording of "Delilah", recorded on his iPhone last night, and it looked as though the roof of Berger's was about to be lifted off, such was the enthusiasm with which the audience was joining in).
ski holidays
For people that have stayed out of the area and have driven to Saalbach parking their car at one of the gondola base stations, is the parking free with a valid lift pass or do you have to pay for parking on top?
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, Parking is free, with or without a lift pass and for as long as you want, at the outlying lift stations, such as the Schoenleitenbahn and Hochalmbahn. It's also free with a lift pass between 08.30 and 18.00 at the more central lift stations, such as the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn and the Schattberg Xpress. If you overstay at those stations, you pay for a day's parking (about 12 euros last time I enquired).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very good live band in Castellos tonight - whipped up a great atmosphere amongst the dancing throng. Don’t know which nights they’re on - look out for the sign outside.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, ok thanks
snow conditions
@tatmanstours,I'm seeking some of your Saalbach wisdom please Very Happy

Given the great base I'm tempted to risk the easter week in Saalbach, I know know it will be slushy lower but imagine they could keep most stuff open. I've wanted to try it for ages but as we go late I've always been too paranoid about the snow.

Thing is I see that is the last week of the season, looks like they shut up shop on 8th April, and was wondering if they tend to close lifts down that late in the season regardless.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated ta.
latest report
We've been up until 7th I think. Everything was open - some days it got slushy other days we had powder mornings.

I believe when they start to shut up they close the south facing side first then north facing side a week or so later. It's usually mid April at the earliest.
snow report
As you on here will know I went to Saalbach for the first time on 13th Jan and had a great time. Really enjoyed it from lots of points of view. Loads of off piste but then there was much higher than average snowfall for the time of year all over the Alps.

What can I expect in normal/average years? Presumably as most of the terrain is grassy meadows it doesn’t take that much snow to still have plenty of off piste skiing available?
I realise week to week will vary with the weather but what I am getting at is if I was to do a long stay from early Jan to mid Mar what can I expect in terms of off piste skiing? I realise I will be able to ski around on piste because they have snowmaking but it’s the off piste opportunities I’m mostly interested in. I could go to other places yes but I liked Saalbach as an all rounder as I said from other points of view.
I have been thinking that surely even in average snow years it must be pretty good for the World Freeride Tour to be in Fieberbrunn every March?
latest report
RWDLYN wrote:
hammerite wrote:
@RWDLYN, I can highly recommend spending a week with a bike there. I have the last two summers.

Yeah, deffo. Hired a Giant Reign back in 2015 for 2 days. To tell the truth it's a toss up as to whether Saalbach -Hinterglamm is better in summer rather than winter. I need more experience there I reckon! Laughing

BongoBongo above Leogang!

http://youtube.com/v/6boI5NkqYt0
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, as well as @tatmanstours who can provide feedback on typical snow conditions over the course of the season, clarky999 would be able to provide some advice from a seasonnaire and instructor’s perspective, and has probably found and shredded most of the offpiste in the area.

From visits over several years and at varying times, I’d say you’ll find some offpiste throughout that peak period, though clearly regular snowfall will help, and is typically delivered. See
https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Saalbach_Hinterglemm_snow_history.html for details of the last few years.
snow report
@ousekjarr, thanks for that.
Yeah I’m thinking it will be fine as I’d looked at the snow history and a couple of You Tube videos taken by people away in different years and it looked great.
Like you say it’s not as if it’s pre Christmas or late in the season it would be smack bang in the middle of winter.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, I have visited S-H pretty much every year since 1985, with the exception of this year and a couple of years after my daughter was born. My take on the off-piste is that it's great when there is fresh powder, and you are right, the grassy meadows don't need much, but I still maintain that the off-piste, once the powder has gone, is actually quite disappointing. The powder doesn't usually last long on the sunny south facing slopes, and the north facing slopes are too thickly tree covered to find many meaningful routes. I always find, in fresh powder, the Hochalm area to be great for off-piste, (there are other great areas too), but I tend to find that the powder is quickly tracked out, and then the sun gets to work and you get left with a crusty area full of the tracks of previous skiers and it's not enjoyable skiing, (and I like testy sub-optimal conditions).
I think S-H suffers from a lack of sun protected, high open slopes. As I stated earlier in the thread, I think the Schattberg Sprinter area has been neutered in recent years, while at the likes of the Seekar t-bar, the best routes require either poling (often over a frozen lake), or trekking away from the piste into an area where getting back on piste is awkward. It was also interesting skiing at Zell am See this year, and seeing the amount of ski routes in place. In S-H these, such as exist, still tend to be groomed, but those in Zell, and I skied a couple with you, were left ungroomed, and, (before the heavy powder we skied them in) were frequently steep, mogully, fun chutes through the trees, exactly the sort of thing S-H needs more of. In my opinion. Zell is a small area though.
That said, Fieberbrunn is potentially a different proposition. I had a hint of its possibilities a couple of years back after a moderate fall of snow, (alas on a non-existent base), but last year when I was there it was a very warm March, and the S-facing Hochhorndl slopes got too slushy too quickly. It does seem to be wilder, and I'd have loved to have seen it this year, and I'm assuming their trails aren't groomed.
I know S-H is a great area in fresh powder, but I would love other experienced skiers to the area to answer if they really think that, when there isn't new snow, (or if the right conditions for spring snow to occur aren't in place), S-H is a great place for off piste? Sure you could ski-tour, but why go to such a big expensive area and then eschew the lifts? God knows I explored the heck out of the area in my foolhardy, risk taking, go anywhere, years. Did I really miss something?
snow conditions
We're just back. Wow, that was quite a week for weather - from no visibility to factor 50! I thought I'd throw in some observations here from a gutless, unfit improvers perspective just in case anyone else finds them useful, to make a change from the seasoned snowheads. NehNeh

First off, I learned what a difference a day makes this trip - some of the runs that are 'nice blues' were absolute swines on Sunday and Monday due to weather and formation of bumps (particularly the Bernekogel and the bottom part of the Hochalm), but were lovely when we tried again with some trepidation later in the week. On the flip side, we were staying at the bottom of the Zwolferkogel lift - the runs up top were gorgeous if a bit invisible at the beginning, lovely and quiet and snowy (11/11a in fresh snow was amazing, felt like beginners off piste in some places as didn't seem like anyone else used it). Same up the top of the Schattberg peaks. I guess an experienced snow head can explain why this is? Anyway, two things I took from this - even if you're not the greatest skier, go exploring as you can usually download on a gondola if it gets a bit much, and possibly don't trust the low 'beginner' runs on a bad weather day...

We were lucky in our instructor - a really nice young lad in his first season who just had a confidence giving vibe. He took us down red 12 on our first day (nice and wide and great for improvers to get long turns in), and then red 6 and 6a off Schattberg West on our 3rd and 5th day - the latter looked terrifying to us but again was wide and we could learn some control. It was our aim from the week to start skiing some steeper runs and these were great (though again - bumpy at the beginning, but lovely at the end).

Favourite improvers runs - 52 and bits of 53 off the Kolmaisgipfelbahn in Saalbach, 92 and 93 in Leogang (this was a total joy but I noticed my lack of fitness... Embarassed ), and the fabled run 68!! Aah, run 68, it is as Tatmanstours had promised...

Best apres for us was a nice surprise at the Hecherhutte when we got there at 3.30 off 68, and there was much dancing and jagertee, which gave us an interesting time getting down the last bit of 68... worth the bus ride back! We also enjoyed Der Schwarzacker in Hinterglemm, the DJ was something else. Otherwise we stuck to the smaller bars in Hinterglemm, the biker pub and Zan oid'n Fritz.

We couldn't get into the chicken man. Sad Should have booked - lesson learned! It smelled so good.

Overall, for us S-H was pretty perfect as you can get around the whole resort even if you're not the most confident or skilled skier, and there are steeper runs which retain the wide and flowing nature that you need when you're getting your red legs. This was only our third full week of skiing and I thought that the size of resort would be wasted on us, but it wasn't at all. We're still quite rubbish skiers, but we learned to get down things with a bit more style! We had a brilliant time, and much of that was due to the tips and hints on here so thanks all!!
snow conditions
Oh, and I'll add - the lift infrastructure is incredible, I've been wanting to go back to Norway but don't think I could face the drag lifts!! We used one button lift the whole week, and that was only because we were too lazy to walk between two gondolas about 200m apart...
latest report
@hammerite, thanks, it looks like they're not going anywhere near mid April, last day the lifts are due to spin is 8th according to the website which makes me nervous that things could be in a serious wind down if we went that week up to then.

@ElzP, sounds great, wide open piste cruising is up my street snowHead Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy