Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2017/18 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Whitty wrote:
@tyrellbo, @ElzP,
Can definitely recommend the chicken and view! I've never taken pics of food before but I thought it was worthy!!

Hot chocolate? What's wrong with you, man Smile?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PeteMan, Ah, but does he have a schnapps fountain in his shop?
Hagleitners are recommended for boot fitting - even by Hansi!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
radar wrote:
I would highly recommend the Liebe Heimat in Vorderglemm, nice venue pleasant staff, their Kaiserschmarrn is superb.@honved, one of my favourite places have you come across the Newfoundlander

The OH and Jnr stopped at Liebe Heimat for coffee and cake one afternoon in the summer (refuelling after doing the riverside trim trail) when I was throwing myself down the mountain on two wheels. They were raving about how lovely it was.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tatmanstours wrote:
@Yorksboy, Haven't tried that, but, as you point out, it does say: "The connection with Glemmtal is still possible via the ski route to Viehhofen. The ski route ends in Kreuzlehengraben in Viehhofen. Every hour the 680 bus takes you from the bus stop at Förstereck back to Zell am See. The ride takes about 30 minutes. The bus is free for skiers with a valid lift pass." Perhaps the lift company has done a deal with the company that runs the Postbus. Presumably the Saalbach or Zell am See Tourist Information Centre would be able to give a categoric answer. In the meantime take a photocopy of that article to show the driver of the postbus wink

I skied in Zell last year and we did a day in Saalbach etc. I was under same impression it was covered by the ski alpin pass, but the post bus driver was having none of it so had fork out for (in the words of the mighty Jim Bowen) the bus fare home.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went up the Zwolferkogel and dropped into the Winker Alm. Going to visit again tomorrow, just to see the eye popping waitress again! Magnificent chesticles! Embarassed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitty wrote:
@tyrellbo, @ElzP,
Can definitely recommend the chicken and view! I've never taken pics of food before but I thought it was worthy!!

Hoping that the weather will allow the link to be open and that I will have my face stuffed with chicken in just over a week...

Looks like a beautiful weekend to be in Saalbach this weekend!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PeteMan wrote:
Whitty wrote:
@tyrellbo, @ElzP,

Haha, late night every night starting with a hinterhag session!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's from last year by the way, going for the 3rd time in March 😀
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="Whitty"]
PeteMan wrote:
Whitty wrote:
@tyrellbo, @ElzP,

Haha, late night every night starting with a hinterhag session![/quote
Staying at the Kristana gives us a great spectacle of the apres aftermath trying to make it down after 4pm in the dark! Laughing Laughing Loads of screaming, hooting and yelling! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="RWDLYN"]
Whitty wrote:
PeteMan wrote:
Whitty wrote:
@tyrellbo, @ElzP,

Haha, late night every night starting with a hinterhag session![/quote
Staying at the Kristana gives us a great spectacle of the apres aftermath trying to make it down after 4pm in the dark! Laughing Laughing Loads of screaming, hooting and yelling! snowHead

I just have one non alcoholic beer, hum quietly to a couple of songs then leave very serenely 👍
(If you believe that, you'll believe anything 😂)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Absolutely stunning bluebird last day today. Spent from 8.30am until 1.4pm skiing really grippy blues and reds. I DID revisit the Winker Alm and got a selfie and a chat with the waitress,all in all it don't get much better! Back with an Endura bike this summer maybe?? Blush
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RWDLYN wrote:
Absolutely stunning bluebird last day today. Spent from 8.30am until 1.4pm skiing really grippy blues and reds. I DID revisit the Winker Alm and got a selfie and a chat with the waitress,so all in all it don't get much better! Back with an Enduro bike this summer maybe?? Blush
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote=,[/quote]
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RWDLYN, I can highly recommend spending a week with a bike there. I have the last two summers.
snow report
hammerite wrote:
@RWDLYN, I can highly recommend spending a week with a bike there. I have the last two summers.

Yeah, deffo. Hired a Giant Reign back in 2015 for 2 days. To tell the truth it's a toss up as to whether Saalbach -Hinterglamm is better in summer rather than winter. I need more experience there I reckon! Laughing
snow report
First day in Saalbach today got the lift up before 9 so I can have a good look around Very Happy
latest report
So today I went over to Leogang for a bit of a ski around, the snow was sugary and powdery. Not very busy really. No queuing for lifts. Plenty of coverage all over the area right down to base stations (but first time here so I don’t know what it’s like usually to be honest)
Had lunch at the Chicken Man to see what people were on about. Very nice it was too. Yum yum and nice views.
Then I skied around the Leogang Saalbach area generally until I met Yorksboy later on for an apres ski beer.
About to go off and find something for tea.
snow conditions
Hi there, myself and the OH have decided perhaps to hit saalbach in late February. Any suggestions on accommodation. Might leave kids at home as we know it's last minute.. If we go on our own we will only do four nights possibly the 21st to 25th.. cheers
snow report
@skimel

I generally use the following to find available accommodation in Saalbach and book through the site

https://www.saalbach.com , just click on the accommodation at the top

If you can flex your dates to leave or start on a Saturday as that is changeover day then it will open more options I guess, unless you have unlimited budget.

The last couple of years I have only been able to do 4/5 days, so have started the Friday/Saturday and come back weds, albeit in January.

Always found accommodation from Saturday no issue, but had to stay in a different place on the Friday night to benefit from an extra 1/2 day skiing Friday, BA flight from Gatwick on Friday at 715 gets you into Saalbach by lunchtime with taxi.

I have also found booking a week and only using 4/5 days can be more cost effective as some places won’t sell a short break, eg I have checked your dates and you have one option in Saalbach (hotel Sonne which is great, stayed there a few times but a little out of centre) it’s €1500, however if you put in Saturday 17th to 24th, you can pick up a pension for €800, hotel peter for example right in the centre by the Bernkogel lift. Accommodation won’t compare, but all depends on your budget and priorities.
snow report
@skimel, I'm in daily contact with many of the British apartment owners in Saalbach. Let me know if you'd like me to message them.
ski holidays
Hi Tatman. That would be great. If it's cheaper to book a weeo we can do 17 to 24 or 24 to 3 March. If we go without kids we will do only 4 nights. B and B or appt will suit us. Our little man is only 15 months so if we were to bring him we would might take the in-laws also . So that would mean 4 adults and 2 toddlers
snow conditions
Second day today and it was sunny and cold again with dusty powdery snow hardpacked on piste. Didn’t see a soul off piste all day, probably because it’s all a bit hard under foot at the moment, off to the sides anyway.

Went over to Fieberbrunn first thing for a ski around over there, came back over to Saalbach about 2.30pm ish and skied around the Hinterglemm area until after 4 skiing down no 14 catching the bus back to Saalbach.
Another longish day covering a fair bit of ground. Had an early lunch in Fieberbrunn down the bottom in a place called Enzian Huette, had the Tiroler Groestl in there and that was very tasty. One of the best ones I’ve had actually I think.
Stopped for a beer and an early evening meal on the way back to Hinterglemm at the Wallegalm and again all very tasty.
Mind you, I don’t think I’ve had any crap food in any Austrian resort I’ve been to so far to be fair.
snow report
@skimel, I'm about to send you a PM. I know a couple of people who have apartments available 17-24th.
snow report
Dumping down in Saalbach at village level
Light snow up higher today but nothing down to village level until now where it’s coming thick and fast.
ski holidays
OK, with 11 days to go and loads of snow, it looks like we might actually be able to ski 68. So what's it like? Is it steep or nice and gentle? How does it compare to 2b?

Also, I think I need a lesson to help me build a bit more confidence. Anyone got any recommendations for an instructor?
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5

Thanks for the prompt, just looked at the live webcams and great to see the snow on the ground at the Zwolferkogel lift base station, often my guide to conditions in resort

Just 2 more days of work and then Saalbach here I come Friday, happy days
ski holidays
@PeteMan, Judge for yourself:

Here's my wife skiing it:
http://youtube.com/v/ciuqR3xbt_w

And here's me and Cacciatore and Honeybunny, and a few other friends, skiing it:
http://youtube.com/v/_2-QfgNlcdY

It's invariably empty of people and immaculately groomed, giving the feeling that you've discovered your own private piste, even in high season. It's a fast, gentle blue - 7km and much easier than 2b. The only bit that might challenge a very timid skier is the final drop to the valley, but that's still blue and only 100m or so.

One of the joys of doing it is the superb Hecherhuette mountain restaurant, which is about two-thirds of the way down in a beautiful location. The gulasch soup and steaks are the best, also the potent, home-made jagatee. Say hello for me to the owner, the hard-working Jarmila, and her Welsh waiter, "Lucky" Luke. He used to be a Butlins redcoat and leads the singing and dancing at their fantastic summer barbecue parties (all you can eat for EUR 15)

For private instruction ring Iavor Stefanov at Zink Ski-school (00 43 6645 882488). He and his colleague, Georgi Popov, are two of the best, most experienced instructors that I know - both speak excellent English. Tell them that I recommended you to them. A British friend of mine, Steve Rothwell, also works for Zink and guests of ours have been happy with his tuition - his number is 00 44 7957 333936.

For normal ski-school classes, your best bet is Furstauer. Hansi (Hansi's Best-Price) can arrange packages with them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi there, me and friend are going to Saalbach the next week for the first time. I was wondering if somebody could recommend a good place to rent skis and boots. I read a previous post about Hansis, is that the place to rent the equipment? Or do anyone other recommendations? And should we rent in advance to get the better discount? Thanks in advance, kind regards from Sebastian
latest report
@Sebah, Hansi's Best-Price shop is next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the very bottom of the main village street. It's Hansi's own business and he competes with the big chains like Intersport, by providing a friendly, efficient service, top equipment and keen prices. If you tell him that I sent you to him, he will give you his best discount. He will also at least price match any other offer you may see on-line. I know that his preference would be for you to just turn up on the day, rather than pre-book.
snow conditions
Hi Tatman, perfect then we will turn up on the arrival day instead. I´m not so keen on booking in advance so that suits us better. Thank you for your advice and help.
ski holidays
Does Hansi sell ski boots as well or is he only hire?
ski holidays
Powder day in Saalbach Hinterglemm today after last night’s dump.
All over the shop!
And still snowing!
Was on the lift by 8.30 this morning and had the best 2 hours ever I think!
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
All over the shop!
And still snowing!

Your posts are making me want to be there NOW! Only 4 days to go... can't wait.

Looking forward to making use of @tatmanstours brilliant advice on runs and food as well.
ski holidays
@garystarling, Essentially he's a rental business. Go to Ski Pro, say that I recommended you and ask for a discount - you should get at least 20%. If you have problem feet or want your boots custom fitted, try Hagleitners on Schulstrasse. (Incidentally I have a new pair of Salomons going cheap - will fit a UK normal shoe size 6 - 6.5).
snow report
Thank you, Richard!
ski holidays
@PeteMan, Here's my missus on run 68 a couple of seasons ago, on the main pitch about halfway down. As you can see it's nice and wide and not exactly rammed with people.

[img][/img]
snow report
ElzP wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
All over the shop!
And still snowing!

Looking forward to making use of @tatmanstours brilliant advice on runs and food as well.

There is yet more snow coming I think and whilst it’s not snowing in the town at the moment it still is higher up. Think it’s going to snow every day for the next week.
Today was one of the best days ever for me (50 odd weeks skiing) and this is someone that has been to pretty much all the resorts for ‘advanced’ skiers so to speak regardless of the country.
I was making new tracks even at 3pm this afternoon and it’s not as if I had to go off piste very far, only 50m say. No traversing needed, no boot packing it was all right there saying ‘ski me’!
Thing is this is obviously turning out to be a mega season and as I’ve not been here before I’m not sure what it’s usually like in terms of snow depths etc

I’d still come again though another time. Apart from the skiing the quality of the restaurants, pubs and bars are fab.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, Shhhh, don’t tell everyone! wink
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
ElzP wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
All over the shop!
And still snowing!

There is yet more snow coming I think and whilst it’s not snowing in the town at the moment it still is higher up. Think it’s going to snow every day for the next week.
Today was one of the best days ever for me (50 odd weeks skiing) and this is someone that has been to pretty much all the resorts for ‘advanced’ skiers so to speak regardless of the country.
I was making new tracks even at 3pm this afternoon and it’s not as if I had to go off piste very far, only 50m say. No traversing needed, no boot packing it was all right there saying ‘ski me’!
Thing is this is obviously turning out to be a mega season and as I’ve not been here before I’m not sure what it’s usually like in terms of snow depths etc

I’d still come again though another time. Apart from the skiing the quality of the restaurants, pubs and bars are fab.

Please stop posting, you're making me very impatient! 52 days till we arrive in saalbach. Not that I'm counting 😀
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy