Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2017/18 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Well, what a day was yesterday! 30cm of new snow topped up the already more than adequate snow depths. A winter wonderland greeted us as we looked out of our window - blue sky and every tree laden with snow. One of our present guests, a ski instructor, spent the morning skiing the back country and I bumped into him outside the Kohlmais lift station, covered in snow and grinning from ear to ear.
I accompanied some friends who'd never skied piste 68, and as usual it was blissfully quiet, as well as covered in powder (the overnight snow had covered the groomed pistes). After a gulasch soup, wienerschnitzel and jagatee stop at the Hecherhuette, we did a few lesser-used runs, including 61 from top to bottom. The usual happy hour drinks ensued at the Bergeralm, and, after a couple of aperol spritzers, a "Heisse Liebe", and a "Mamy Juana" cannabis schnapps, I skied down the Kohlmais at dusk, with all the lights twinkling in the valley below, only to be tempted to stop at the Hinterhag Alm.
I was glad that I did - a roaring log fire, great atmosphere and not too packed. We were in time for "Evi's Herzeltanz" and watched it from next to the band on the balcony - followed as usual by the usual rip-roaring rendition of "Angels" and the new addition to the band's play list - "Perfect". I don't know what it was - the way in which Josef Solar was evidently putting his heart and soul into his singing (his enthusiasm is undimmed, even after more than 35 years of performing every evening of every winter in the Hinterhag), the way in which the "congregation" were all singing along with gusto (nothing like "Angels" to get people singing), or maybe the cannabis schnapps, but I confess to feeling a tad emotional as I stood there marvelling at a scene that I have witnessed hundreds of times before.
Later I joined some friends in Hotel Peter's restaurant and caught the last half hour or so of Magic Peter's magic show, which included the "Tommy Cooper" inspired "bottle and glass" trick, as well as the magic guillotine (yet another young lady pulled from the audience succeeded in retaining her hand). Afterwards we had a quiet drink in Bobby's, followed by the noisiest possible drink in the Underbar, which was absolutely rocking! The same guitarist as last season is now back performing every night, and it has to be said that the Underbar is going from strength to strength - as long as you enjoy riotous, joyful apres-apres-ski!
I hope that this account of one perfect day will provide some ideas to some of you looking forward to your holidays here. (Never a dull moment!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does indeed sound a perfect day, fabulous!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking forward to coming out on 13th
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tatmanstours wrote:

Incidentally, piste 68 was idyllic today, and the ski bus from the bottom, which takes you back to the Schoenleitenbahn, leaves at 10 to, 10 past and half past the hour. Leave the Hecherhuette 10 minutes before (for a competent skier) or 20 minutes before (for a slow skier), and you will be in time for the bus.

Is this the same bus that you can get into Saalbach from the bottom of the X4 run from Zell am see? We are skiing in Zell in January and want to ski Saalbach for a day or two as well. Will probably apres in saalbach too then taxi back to Zell so any idea of taxi fare as well? Would we be better to taxi in as well?
Also any info of the bottom of run x4 - like is it hard, straightforward to do and find etc
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@daveqpr, yes , same bus. The cost of a taxi back to Zell should be about 40 euros, although there is also the Nightliner bus service - see Saalbach.com for times
I’v never done that run down into the valley from the Schmittenhoehe, although a friend, whom I’d describe as a good intermediate has and didn’t seem to find it a problem either to do or to find.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some great apres-ski news! The world-class Irish band, "Cuckoo", have been booked to play every Wednesday evening in Bobby's Pub, beginning 03/01/18. They normally start around 10.00pm and whip up a fantastic atmosphere, with half the pub Irish jigging for all they're worth. Wednesday just happens also to be ribs night (best spare ribs in Saalbach IMHO for EUR 9.50), so that makes a dozen or so Wednesday evenings that I'm really looking forward to this season! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Might have to fill one of those Wednesdays with Scotsmen in kilts
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tatmanstours wrote:
Some great apres-ski news! The world-class Irish band, "Cuckoo", have been booked to play every Wednesday evening in Bobby's Pub, beginning 03/01/18. They normally start around 10.00pm and whip up a fantastic atmosphere, with half the pub Irish jigging for all they're worth. Wednesday just happens also to be ribs night (best spare ribs in Saalbach IMHO for EUR 9.50), so that makes a dozen or so Wednesday evenings that I'm really looking forward to this season! Very Happy

Do you know if there's an age limit?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Do you know if there's an age limit?

Assuming this isn't a joke, no, it doesn't matter how old you are. Even old fogies are welcome in Bobby's. And our friends' 5 year old won the dancing competition a few nights ago - at 03.00am (she's an unusual child).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ta, may see you in there then, although we'll be in earlier rather than later,.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Penry, Don't eat all the ribs! Cuckoo will be on around 10.00pm and are well worth staying for.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been skiing every season in SH since 2005/6. (at least 1 week). In the past I have stayed in a hotel in Saalbach on a HB basis.
Last January I stayed in a BB Pension in Hinterglemm and will be staying there again from 6th to 20th Jan.

As a solo traveller I prefer to get my evening meal in an informal setting (bar/cafe). last year I mostly used the Jennerwein in Hinterglemm. Can anyone give me some recommendations for alternative eateries in Hinterglemm? Whilst I'm sure to visit the Jennerwein a bit of variety would be welcome.

Thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Yorksboy, When in Hinterglemm we use the Heurigenstube and the Knappenstube,
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First visit to Saalbach for me on 13th, going solo as well.
I’ve been reading online that there are designated mogul runs and they are marked on the piste map. I’ve looked though and can’t see any markings resembling moguls?
Does anyone know which ones it is or whether this is old information?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@VolklAttivaS5

I don't remember these being indicated on the piste map. But there are always quite a number of areas where moguls are allowed to develop.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly with some specific details.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, First I have heard of it. I’ve just had a good look at a piste map and there’s no mention of mogul fields, which, as Yorksboy says, sometimes develop on busy runs, depending on the conditions and how busy it is.
ski holidays
Quick question - does anyone know if the 680 Postbus is free with skipass in the SH area?
snow conditions
@Yorksboy, No, you have to pay separately for the postbus.
ski holidays
@Yorksboy, @tatmanstours, thanks
I read it on here but like you I could see no indications of such elsewhere

http://www.ultimate-ski.com/ski-resorts/austria/salzburgerland/saalbach/advanced.aspx

Said the same thing on some school skiing websites as well

They must have it wrong

With this much snow available bumps are inevitable anyhow!

Which runs tend to get left bumped up out of interest?
ski holidays
@tatmanstours,

Thanks I've found this -

https://www.schmitten.at/en/service/press/press-articles/extension+of+the+skiing+area+schmitten+zell+am+see-kaprun_p2314

Seems to say that Viehhofen to Zell travel on 680 is covered with Zell lift pass. I have a SkiAlpin card, so perhaps could get the ski bus to Viehhofen (or use run 6Cool and then travel on to Zell. Could then ski the Schmitten and head back to SH via X4 back to Viehhofen?

Has anybody tried this?
latest report
@Yorksboy, Haven't tried that, but, as you point out, it does say: "The connection with Glemmtal is still possible via the ski route to Viehhofen. The ski route ends in Kreuzlehengraben in Viehhofen. Every hour the 680 bus takes you from the bus stop at Förstereck back to Zell am See. The ride takes about 30 minutes. The bus is free for skiers with a valid lift pass." Perhaps the lift company has done a deal with the company that runs the Postbus. Presumably the Saalbach or Zell am See Tourist Information Centre would be able to give a categoric answer. In the meantime take a photocopy of that article to show the driver of the postbus wink
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, there used to be marked mogul areas, (Buckelpiste?), the main ones I remember being next to pistes 7, 22 and 61, plus an area in Leogang, but I haven't seen them on the maps for many years. It is one of the weaknesses of the area, for me, that they don't really allow them to develop for long. It's also understandable why. Mogul skiers are not S-H's target market. Piste 7 used to be reliable, but it's more widely bashed these days. The area next to piste 22 approaching the mid station should be better, as the underlying ground is, either naturally or artificially, bumpy, unless they've flattened it in the last year. It's South facing and can get a bit thin, but that shouldn't be a problem just now. Don't know about piste 61' next to the chair lift. The bumps were not there the last couple of years, but there is more snow this year, so they may get developed. Anyone on the ground?
Fieberbrunn may be more promising. I haven't had the chance to ski it in great snow since the link was built, but as a more free ride area, some may develop.
That said, it's such a big area you can usually find what you are looking for. One of my favourites was always skiing down the narrow avenue through the trees, created by the chairlift, (now gondola), of the upper section of the Westgipfel lift. Narrow, steep, mogully, fun.
Oddly enough should have been in S-H from the 13th as well, but not this year. Going to Zell, (well Schmitten), instead. On which note, it used to be the case that a weeks ticket for S-H got you one day in Zell and vice versa, (or so I thought, never used it). Haven't seen anything online. Is it still the case? If so I may yet visit S-H once this year.
ski holidays
I'm trying to plan our arrival on the 27th Jan so that we hit the Berger Alm happy hour and do some Apres on our first day. We land at 12:50pm and have booked a private taxi transfer from Salzburg to Saalbach, our accommodation is slap bang in the centre of Saalbach (just up from the Eva on the main drag) and we just need to drop bags, sort out ski hire, get changed and make our way to the lift. Is that doable?

What time is the last lift up the Kohlmais at that time of year?
latest report
It's doable if you arrive on time and quickly get down to Hansi's for your gear, then up Schattberg if there's time (and down 2b to the Schoenleitenbahn, which closes at 4.00pm). Or walk up to the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn, which closes at 4.30pm, and of course takes you more or less directly to the Bergeralm. As you probably know, Happy Hour at the Bergeralm is from 3.30-4.30pm, and the Hinterhag kicks off at 4.00pm and continues until any time between 6.30 and 7.30pm. You can get on the lifts at 3.00pm using your lift pass for the following day.
latest report
@tatmanstours - sounds like we should be able to make it up before the lifts close but might miss happy hour, which isn't an issue really, just being up the mountain with a beer in hand will do it for me! And as you say, Hinterhag will be in full flow by the time we pass it on the way down.

Weather looks interesting on the webcams today!
snow conditions
Yup, lots of snow last 2 days, skied all the way down to the main road tonight. It's been an amazingly varied week, condition-wise. Hopefully tomorrow we'll see a bit of sunshine.
snow report
According to Mike at the Spitzbub, 90cm of new snow at the top.
snow conditions
Cuckoo at Bobby's last night were predictably brilliant - everything from Waterboys and Dubliners to Pink Floyd, and two encores ("Dirty Old Town" got everyone in the bar singing along). They're booked every Wednesday all season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tatmanstours wrote:
According to Mike at the Spitzbub, 90cm of new snow at the top.

Was supposed to have turned to rain this afternoon but webcams showed otherwise. Hard to tell whats happening right now on the webcams, somethings falling and hitting the webcam lenses, but is it snow or rain?
ski holidays
It's turning to rain, but apparently that helps with the base.
latest report
Snow. Rain was forecast for later tonight but hadn't arrived last time I poked my nose outside.
snow report
Just walked up from the Spitzbub and it was wet snow (at village level). There will be some rain but doesn't really matter.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Just walked up from the Spitzbub and it was wet snow (at village level). There will be some rain but doesn't really matter.

Thanks Richard!!
snow conditions
Peeing down now.
latest report
@Colinthc, thanks very much! Much appreciated. I am planning on going over to Zell one of the days as I’ve never been.
If you do go to Saalbach let me know and we can meet up for a ski if you want.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, I may well do that. Obviously depends on whether I do get a day at S-H on the lift pass. It'll be hard to justify, to my other half, spending extra money on a fairly expensive day ticket to see an area I know inside out. That said, if I find Zell too limiting, I may go for it anyway. If I do I'll send a message nearer the time. And even if I don't, I'll message to tell you what's worth doing in Zell am See.
Either way, enjoy S-H. It can seem, despite it's size, a little limited for better skiers, - no couloirs, lack of moguls on piste, few black runs, (and for me, only the very bottom of the Zwolfer Nord (14), and the short black on the upper Zwolfer, (15), are nailed on blacks). However, with a bit of exploring, and it's a fun place to explore, I've rarely been frustrated by a lack of options.
I think the addition of Fieberbrunn will have helped for better skiers. The area served by the Hochhorndl lift certainly seems promising. I've only seen it with thin snow, or very slushy, but clearly it has great off-piste options. Also forgot to say, the Hochalm/Spieleck area can have some decent moguls off piste, after a while, particularly under the Spieleck chair. (You'd better be 'on', or you'll be providing entertainment for those on the lift).
Finally, even for the better skier, one of S-H's strengths is it's motorway cruising. It's always easy, with a little knowledge, to avoid the crowds and find a quiet, wide piste to yourself, and just blitz it!
snow report
@Colinthc, ok thanks very much for all the info!
Looking forward to exploring the area definitely!
snow report
Saalbach, here we come tomorrow. What a difference in the snow conditions compared to the last few years in the early part of the season. I see that Mountain Attack is happening on Friday next which will be a great end to the week. Does anyone know whether Bobby can pick up BBC for the big match on Sunday afternoon when the mighty Shrewsbury Town send West Ham and our former players Joe Hart and David Moyes packing! Staying at the Norika this time which might be a bit different to the Alpin Resort but will give us the opportunity to sample the culinary delights of Saalbach and of course the ribs at Bobby's.
snow conditions
@Eddy, it's like Easter came early, it was 12 degrees at the top, just before the sun dipped below the whatever it dipped below.
ski holidays
@Eddy, without wanting to take the thread off topic too much with football talk... dream on!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy