Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Luggae and luggage allowance

Poster: A snowHead
Ok peeps, be gentle with me. I'm a newbie. I'm going on the MyashBash in Livigno. I know January is a long way off, but I'm looking to slowly buy all the gear I need (to spread the cost) and need some advice regarding luggage and luggage allowances.

I will be taking my own Skis, boots and helmet. I was thinking of taking my boot bag on as hand luggage. It has a handy compartment at the rear for a wash bag etc. Or is a boot bag too large and heavy to be allowed on as hand luggage?

My ski bag can take my skis (obviously) and my sticks and that's about it. The bag is for a single pair of 165 cm skis. Mine are 160cm (I'm a short ar*e); so there is little room for anything else. The bag is not padded, but if I use it, I intend to pad it out with bubble wrap. So I'll need a separate holdall/case for all my clothes and helmet etc. Will I incur an excess baggage charge for either the ski bag of the main case? And if so, typically how much?

I've been looking at the Dakine Fall Line; which will take my skis, boots and my outer clothes. These cost around £100. But I'll still need a separate holdall for the rest of my clothes and stuff; meaning I may still be charged for excess baggage regardless.

The other ski bag I've looked at is the "SnowKart The Cart 3" (https://www.snokart.com/products/kart-3). Does anyone know if the airlines consider a combined ski bag/holdall like this as being one piece of luggage, given they are strapped together? Or am I then likely to be hit with an excess weight charge for it?

This is the first skiing holiday I've been on and have no idea what the accepted way is of transporting all your gear over there. So how do all you experienced Snowheads out there transport your gear economically? Or is there simply no economical way of transporting skiing gear; even on low cost air lines?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lufthansa count 1 skibag/boardbag + 1 boot bag + 1 helmet bag as 1 "ski luggage". then your bag with clothes etc. is your normal baggage allowance.
BUT you have to buy the baggage allowance when you book the flight to get the free ski carriage. don't buy the economy light (handbaggage only fare) and add on baggage as an additional extra.

Swiss might be similar, since they're owned by Lufthansa.

can't speak for other airlines. the cheapest possibly won't allow the boot bag on board if it doesn't fit in the luggage size and weight checking thing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lufthansa and Swiss carry skis free of charge with the full fat fare (not light, hand luggage only). With BA you can take a ski coffin bag as your hold luggage and stuff it up to 23kg with your other stuff. If you book Club on BA for 1 leg of the flight you get 2 bags each way, so 1 for your skis and 1 for your main bag.

Jet2 sometimes have a £1 skis offer, easyjet charge about £60 return for a ski bag.

They all allow boots in the cabin but lufthansa only have 8kg hand luggage allowance but can also take a "laptop" bag which could hold other stuff - mine has been weighed before now.

Hang your helmet off your hand luggage to save room in the bag
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Awdbugga wrote:
Ok peeps, be gentle with me. I'm a newbie. I'm going on the MyashBash in Livigno. I know January is a long way off, but I'm looking to slowly buy all the gear I need (to spread the cost) and need some advice regarding luggage and luggage allowances.

I will be taking my own Skis, boots and helmet. I was thinking of taking my boot bag on as hand luggage. It has a handy compartment at the rear for a wash bag etc. Or is a boot bag too large and heavy to be allowed on as hand luggage?

My ski bag can take my skis (obviously) and my sticks and that's about it. The bag is for a single pair of 165 cm skis. Mine are 160cm (I'm a short ar*e); so there is little room for anything else. The bag is not padded, but if I use it, I intend to pad it out with bubble wrap. So I'll need a separate holdall/case for all my clothes and helmet etc. Will I incur an excess baggage charge for either the ski bag of the main case? And if so, typically how much?

I've been looking at the Dakine Fall Line; which will take my skis, boots and my outer clothes. These cost around £100. But I'll still need a separate holdall for the rest of my clothes and stuff; meaning I may still be charged for excess baggage regardless.

The other ski bag I've looked at is the "SnowKart The Cart 3" (https://www.snokart.com/products/kart-3). Does anyone know if the airlines consider a combined ski bag/holdall like this as being one piece of luggage, given they are strapped together? Or am I then likely to be hit with an excess weight charge for it?

This is the first skiing holiday I've been on and have no idea what the accepted way is of transporting all your gear over there. So how do all you experienced Snowheads out there transport your gear economically? Or is there simply no economical way of transporting skiing gear; even on low cost air lines?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Puzzled

I intend taking only dakine fall line bouble ski bag for a two week trip to Japan. The bag though is 190 so might fit more stuff than 175.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking at posts for last years MyashBash, it would appear that the two airports people flew into were served by the three budget airlines (EasyJet, Flybe and Ryanair). I can't see that anyone used the more expensive airlines. I'm not even sure they fly into the two airports in question.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Awdbugga, Ryanair is very expensive for skis, don't know about flybe
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get a Dakine Fall-Line *Double* and you'll have space for everything
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Which airports are you able to fly from and to. Choice of flight options may influence the bag choice.

Also state flying dates and we can advise.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As mentioned above, a lot of Star Alliance airlines allow skis as your checked bag ie Lufthansa, Swiss, Scandinavian airlines. But you still need to read the rules. For example you have to pre-notify/book skis with Lufthansa.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Unfortunately, as others have said, it depends on the airline. Whilst Lufthansa and Swiss are very reasonable and carry you ski bag for no extra charge, that's not that useful in this case as you're flying to Italy.
If you've got a choice of flights and airlines, make sure you include the cost of ski carriage when pricing them up. The price of ski carriage is usually listed on the airline website in the baggage section.
With BA you can carry your ski bag as your hold baggage, so having a bag that carries you skis and anything else that would go in your hold bag makes sense in that case. However, I think BA only fly to Milan from Heathrow so that may not be your best option.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BA from Heathrow to Milan. Use Avios. Skis as baggage in wheelie bag, 23kgs as cabin!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Careful with stuff like Fall Line double as you can fall foul of the EasyJet 20kg allowance on skis. I had mine with two sets of skis, ski trousers, jacket and a few base layers and it weighed in over 20kg. From memory the bag itself weighs 4kg.

You can get a huge amount in carry on though, I put boots and all my normal clothes into carry on, it's a squeeze but just about gets there.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimastaaah wrote:
BA from Heathrow to Milan. Use Avios. Skis as baggage in wheelie bag, 23kgs as cabin!!!

Useful advice if you live near Heathrow, but the OP appears to be in Llandudno. Heathrow is at least a 4-5 hr drive, which would probably negate any (possible) saving.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First skiing holiday and you are taking skiis!!

I have a Dakine Fall line and can just about get it all in for a week if I carry boots in carry on. It will be a struggle to keep under 20kg and depends how much clothes you take. The ABS bag no longer allows this if doing off-piste as cannot carry it on and has to go in main bag.

I prefer to pay for the ski baggage and use a double ski bag and wrap the jacket/trousers around the skis. Underwear/sock bag goes in there with down midlayer in waterproof bag too. A separate bag with boots/clothes/ABS back pack. Take on only a man bag with ipad/book/passport thus travel more comfortably. Business class with avios even easier. Life is too short for the stress.

I go a few times a year and seem to use different combinations depending on where/what I am doing. Sometimes two sets of skis.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Awdbugga wrote:

It kinda depends who you fly with and how lenient they are. I fly BA mostly and I see people get on with things that some airlines would consider too big for checked baggage. So I feel pretty confident taking my boot bag as hand luggage.

Reason I take my boot bag as hand luggage is they're the things I'd least like to lose. I can buy replacement ski jackets and pants in resort - unfortunate but I'll always have a use for them. I can rent skis and poles. But renting boots, in my size, shaped for my funked up feet, will be challenging. My boots are the most custom thing I own, so it's really important that I have mine. I have a Dakine Boot Pack and I find that I can get my boots in the main compartment with my laptop wedged down the middle (in a padded bag). I use the inside of the boots for charger cables etc. Then that leaves enough room in the top for my headphones and a book. That's pretty much all I take in hand luggage... only take what's really valuable or what I'll need in-flight.

Why would you take your wash bag in hand luggage? Nothing valuable, won't need it in flight, and you'll get your toothpaste confiscated in security!

Quote:

I've seen plenty of Snowheads with FallLine bags and they seem pretty popular. Personally I have an Evoc Ski Roller like this http://www.hypedsports.com/evoc-160cm-snow-gear-roller-125l-ski-snowboard-luggage-bag-black-medium/ although being me, it's the 195cm version. But principally I can get a week's skiing gear in there, if I only take 1 pair of skis. (Whilst that bag in the link is the 160 which would fit yours fine, I might recommend you get the 175 version for a bit of extra packing space, and for the possibility you might want to buy longer skis at some point). So I would suggest considering that option.
Quote:

It doesn't answer your question but everything I've heard about the Snowkart stuff is that it looks fancy but is poorly made. Dakine are well known to be good quality, Evoc are also good quality. There are others too but I'm not a ski luggage expert... but yeah I'd avoid Snowkart.

Quote:

For me, when I first had my own skis and only had 1 pair, it was by big Evoc ski bag which contained my skis, bindings, poles, and all my clothes. You just have to be economic with what you need, pack smart, use all available space, and quite possibly pay the extra for over-weight baggage (many airlines will give you 25kg inclusive but you can pay a fee to let it weigh up to 32kg).

Now that I take 3 pairs, and an ABS bag (which takes up a surprising amount of room) I have to suck it up and pay for 2 bags. It's annoying to have to pay the extra but I just accept it as 'the cost of doing business' for my hobby. Maybe it'd be more intelligent to take a single ski quiver and save the money, but I know that if it's a hard icey week I'm going to really miss my carvers and if if the week brings us pow I'll really miss my wide skis. So just have to suck it up and bite.
snow report
Quote:

I know that if it's a hard icey week I'm going to really miss my carvers and if if the week brings us pow I'll really miss my wide skis. So just have to suck it up and bite.

Or go for something rather more polyvalent ~100mm underfoot...?
snow report
No thanks. I'm happy doing things the way I do it. I do not believe there is such thing as a single ski quiver, I firmly believe that it forces compromises.

Like I said, all very well having a nice all rounder at 100mm under foot but if it snows like the proverbial and my Ragnaroks are sat on a shelf at home I'm going to be disappointed
snow report
@dp, thanks for all the advice. I reckon I'll go for the double Dakine Fall Line 190cm. As you say, because I've only got one pair of skis, I should be able to fill it with all my clothes, in particular as I'll also take your advice and take by boots on as hand luggage. They've been heat moulded to my feet and I've got custom insoles; so like you, I wouldn't want to loose them and have to use hire boots.

If I exceed the weight limit, I'll just take the hit and pay the extra. Sorted.

Thanks everyone for your help.
snow report
Thanks to a discussion on another thread I've just taken delivery of one of these: https://www.ldmountaincentre.com/images/snokart-kabin-boot-bag-p14317-17872_image.jpg
Like you I most certainly don't fancy the idea of losing my boots in transit and having to rent.
Really pleased with this bag. Might be worth your while. Not cheap but good value.
ski holidays
@esaw1, be careful if you go with Flybe as they've got slightly weird size restrictions. Apparently the industry agreed a standard but when it was implemented airlines realised it didn't really work and Flybe were the only ones to stick with it Laughing
latest report
Going to see if I can get my boots in any of my existing carry ons. Son has a fall line, gets all his ski gear in that, I shall be getting one and would also imagine getting almost everything in that and sharing a suitcase with mrs endo for our Canada trip.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Flying with Monarch but thanks for the warning.
latest report
Edit. Found it

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 31-08-17 16:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
There's some wording on the BA website that seems contradictory:

"You can take ski and snowboarding equipment of up to 190cm (75in) in length in your checked baggage, provided it is packed correctly:

Only use a recognised ski or snowboard bag for your equipment.
Pack your ski poles with your skis.
Pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard.

If you're travelling on a hand baggage only (Basic) fare or if your checked baggage allowance includes one bag only, you will need to pay extra to take your ski equipment."

It's the last sentence that's confusing. Economy Basic is hand luggage only, so it's clear you need to pay extra for skis. Economy Plus allows 1 x 23 kg checked bag. So you could interpret that you also need to pay extra for skis?
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, no. If you buy a hold bag as your one bag only you can put what you like in it.
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, I fly BA regularly and generally they're good for skiers.

With BA you're entitled to sports equipment free of charge, providing it fits inside your luggage allowance.

So if you get Economy Plus, you get one checked bag. That checked bag, if you so desire, can be 1 bag of sports equipment, up to 190cm in length*. Or you could go Economy Plus, with an extra checked bag (at a cost) and have 1 bag of sports equipment and 1 bag checked luggage.

If you get Economy Basic, you'd need to buy a checked bag which could, if you so desire, be 1 bag of sports equipment.

If you go Business (Club), you'd get two checked bags. Then (like I tend to do) you can use one of those as sports equipment and one as normal luggage.

Unlike many airlines, BA don't differentiate between sets of skis or types of sports equipment. Sports equipment is sports equipment and it's all good up to a set size. Whether it's a pair of skis or a mountain bike is irrelevant. It's just a piece of checked luggage that is permitted to be oversize because it's sports equipment. End of.

I also really like BA because the flight safety bloke you can actually ring up and speak to as a fellow human being, makes it really easy to take avalanche bags on the plane without worrying.

*it's 190cm officially but as yet I've never had trouble taking my 195cm bag on. I did decide to sharpie over the gigantic 195cm writing on the bag that points this out though. No point rubbing it in their faces is there? (EVOC - if you're watching - stop writing on your bags in massive letters that the bag is over the size limit!)
latest report
@dp, very useful info
ski holidays
This might help some http://www.ski-i.com/baggage-policies and no I don't work for them but have booked with them, these are the airlines they cover, as useful source of information

Virgin Atlantic
Lufthansa
Air Canada
Air France & KLM
British Airways
Delta Airlines
Japan Airlines
SWISS
United Airlines
Norwegian
Icelandair

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 2-09-17 9:17; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, I thought that must be the case. No pun intended.
snow report
And if you go club one way on BA they give you the club baggage allowance for both ways Happy
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops I was keeping that my secret Shocked it's often cheaper to by business one way than to buy 2 ways of an extra bag
latest report
Quote:

The bag is not padded, but if I use it, I intend to pad it out with bubble wrap.

Waste of space. Pad it out with socks, knickers, neck warmers, gloves, long johns, merino vests etc
Also pack small items inside your boots.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The bag is not padded, but if I use it, I intend to pad it out with bubble wrap.

Waste of space. Pad it out with socks, knickers, neck warmers, gloves, long johns, merino vests etc
Also pack small items inside your boots.

+1. With the exception of the hard ski tubes (mostly obsolete) there are few ski bags that won't take more than just a pair of skis.
I am a very light packer, for 2 weeks skiing, standard lightweight cabin bag without weight wasting wheels etc takes my boots in a 69 arrangement with other items packed in and around them. Other clothes go in around the skis in the ski bag which is also a lightweight basic ski bag without wheels and padding.
ski holidays
Awdbugga wrote:
@dp, thanks for all the advice. I reckon I'll go for the double Dakine Fall Line 190cm. As you say, because I've only got one pair of skis, I should be able to fill it with all my clothes, in particular as I'll also take your advice and take by boots on as hand luggage. They've been heat moulded to my feet and I've got custom insoles; so like you, I wouldn't want to loose them and have to use hire boots.

Why not wait until you know which airline you're flying with? Having a big coffin bag is a good solution for some airlines but not others. For some you'll be as well with your current ski bag.
ski holidays
So here's a bizzare one for this winter.

BA

LHR into Zurich, return from Nice (don't ask...) total ticket price £117 Sweet. And includes 23kg of luggage too.

However, if you want to take an extra bag, say full of skis, it's £60 each way Gulp.

It is cheaper to buy an extra seat, put an 6 foot invisible rabbit called Harvey on it, and use his baggage allowance.

Or, as the person in question is doing, stuff all his gear into one skibag and hand luggage, and deal with it.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, The way to use BA Baggage Allowance effectively is to have one large wheeled ski bag no longer than 190 cms, put in your (and a partners) skis with a few odds and ends. Keeping the weight under 23kgs so as to qualify for one persons included hold baggage allowance. Then keeping to BA cabin baggage dimensions, take as much as possible in that cabin bag as you can. The Cabin Baggage allowance weight is another 23kgs, so I would suggest boots and heavier items.

I regularly use BA for my ski hols and have found that this works.

Also using Avios points to part/full pay for BA flights helps substantially.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:

Why not wait until you know which airline you're flying with? Having a big coffin bag is a good solution for some airlines but not others. For some you'll be as well with your current ski bag.

Got to agree. I've got a 190 FallLine bag and (from memory) empty it's 6kg. Put your skis and boots in and you're approaching the weight limit and have a load of space that need filling just to stop stuff moving about in transit. I took it to Livigno this year with FlyBe (20kg) and only just made the limit with most of my clothes in a carry on and the FallLine packed out with bubble-wrap. Again only just made the limit going to GnarBug. I went to the EosB with 2 sets of skis and most of my clothes in a padded (none wheeled) bag and boots in a carry on and it was a lot easier.

If you're set on a 190 FallLine bag I might part with mine. Only used twice. snowHead
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
Then keeping to BA cabin baggage dimensions, take as much as possible in that cabin bag as you can. The Cabin Baggage allowance weight is another 23kgs, so I would suggest boots and heavier items.

My only reservation here (not that we can change it) is that basically, every flight I've ever flown with BA, people are just rinsing the hand baggage allowance harder and harder. It's getting worse not better and every time I fly I swear I see somebody who has gone to a new level with their hand baggage. Airport security just take the 'NMFP' approach and leave it to the gate staff, the gate staff don't show up until boarding o'clock, and by the time it's boarding o'clock, it's a ballache to add stuff to the hold. Not to mention that the entire travel industry (I worked in it until a year ago) plays the 'customer service' game to the nth degree because they all believe that it's the only way to distinguish good companies from bad. And customer service basically means, never upset customers.

So what tends to happen is people turn up with bigger and bigger suitcases. And people with backpacks look at people who are turning up with a massive suitcase and think "well what am I doing with my backpack?" so next time they fly, they bring a massive suitcase too. And before you know it, everyone is flying with massive suitcases as cabin baggage. But there will reach a point where this clearly does not compute, and a busy flight has to send half it's baggage back out the door to be shoved in the hold (frankly I'll be surprised if this scenario hasn't already occurred). And I think it will reach a point where airlines have to snap and just get militant with it.

So as human beings the sensible thing to do would be to all take one for the team together, and extract the urine a tiny bit but not too much by taking slightly too big but not massively over the top hand luggage. Then we'd all get away with it together. But alas naturally the world is full of urine-extractors and this will not happen and we will all be forced back to backpacks and actually having to put your bag in the metal frame they keep at the gate but never use. But I think basically we should try to push the limit but not take it too far. And every time I fly with BA, I do see plenty of people taking it too far.

Until then I am literally expecting to see somebody turn up to the gate with their cabin baggage on a pallet.
ski holidays
@dp, I agree somewhat with you that many BA flyers do try to push the envelope of acceptability when it comes to Cabin Baggage.

However, the best way to ensure you keep hold of your cabin stuff is not to go over the dimensions rule (that goes for the Hold Baggage as well). As regards the weight of your cabin baggage, BA are exceedingly generous with a hefty 23kgs allowance. Combined total potential baggage allowance per person is 46kgs. That's more than enough for your average skier with all the ski kit.
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
@Arctic Roll, The way to use BA Baggage Allowance effectively is to have one large wheeled ski bag no longer than 190 cms, put in your (and a partners) skis with a few odds and ends. Keeping the weight under 23kgs so as to qualify for one persons included hold baggage allowance. Then keeping to BA cabin baggage dimensions, take as much as possible in that cabin bag as you can. The Cabin Baggage allowance weight is another 23kgs, so I would suggest boots and heavier items.

I regularly use BA for my ski hols and have found that this works.

@skimastaaah, indeed. And that's what he'll do. But still find it a bit odd to charge more for your luggage than yourself. Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy