Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like another good day. It was minus 12 at 7.15 when I took the dog out brrrh.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
divekris wrote:
Off to Chatel for Feb half-term - haven't been for a few years (2011) but what's changed in terms of the ski lifts/ restaurants - any good recommendations on eateries and ones to avoid! We prob just stick to Super -Chatel area for skiing as have 3 inexpereinced beginners with me (so won't venture into the wider PDS area)

Super Chatel restos:
- L'ecale - Ok food, nice sunny terrace
- the self-service on the other side of the gondola top station - avoid
- the one next to the draglifts next to the Portes du Soleil chair - ok for omelette and chips, burger and chips etc.,

The restos in the Super Chatel area aren't great IMO. The best restaurant in the area is Le Chalet de Theo. It's a 300m walk along the path (in slightly uphill direction) from the bottom of the Barbossine chair. Simple Savoyarde, family-style cooking and it's a bit of a schlep but worth it for the feeling of being in the know.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Conditions are just incredible. A little dusting of snow for this morning and now the sun is shining brightly. Pity my knee is ruined but hey ho!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MeMyselfandI, hey ho indeed, I have heard great reports from him on the ground this morning!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At Geneva airport after a fantastic week in the PdS. Thurs and Fri were both stunning bluebird days, although pistes were starting to soften in the sun late yesterday. Still great conditions to be had though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This time of year you WANT snow softening in the sun. How else would you get spring snow?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snoozeboy wrote:
The best restaurant in the area is Le Chalet de Theo. It's a 300m walk along the path (in slightly uphill direction) from the bottom of the Barbossine chair. Simple Savoyarde, family-style cooking and it's a bit of a schlep but worth it for the feeling of being in the know.

Laughing I'm not in the know!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, yes ! Just what we want ... and what we got today in Avoriaz bowl 😄
Awesome few days here and more sun tomorrow.
True a bit too soft below 1800m but c’est la vie ... I’m not complaining 😂
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just done a week and last Sunday and Monday we were rarely on the piste. Amazing off piste riding before finishing up with cloudless blue skies. The perfect week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Avoriaz yesterday the snow was soft on piste.
Off piste there was a covering of about 5" which did not get tracked out due to the very low number of people in resort.
I was the only person on or near the boarder X, and there was untouched powder all around it.
Late afternoon, light snow started falling, visibility dropped, and it was rain below 1300m
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only a few days before I get to Avoriaz, looks like temperatures could be starting to creep up at the start of next week. Thankfully plenty of snow this year, hopefully we won’t see any rain!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Handy Turnip, Snap. We get out at the weekend for 3 weeks. Can’t wait!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@simonopt, three weeks! Very very nice!

Feels like I’ve been waiting for this trip for ever!!! The excitement has got to the level where I’m now refreshing the weather forecast every hour!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Handy Turnip, haha. Know exactly what you mean! Even after 35+ years of skiing, I’ve still got it rather bad... 🙂
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do not be worried by the rising temp, its snowing at 1250m at the moment, so Avoriaz will be just dandy. ( And there's shedloads of snow there already).
Contemplating going out for a couple of hours, just waiting to see if the cloud looks like lifting a bit.
ski holidays
Dump of snow overnight in Avoriaz (maybe 15cm?) and it continues to snow today. Not cold, but pretty poor visibility, down to 50m in places. Between the trees seems to be best.
Apart from that good skiing ... but I would think off piste (I’m a beginner so none of that for me) might be dangerous if you dont know where you’re going.
snow report
Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming. Weather forecast looks changeable over the weekend and we arrive Sunday.
I will be checking here daily!!
snow conditions
Not sure there'll be much overnight given the distinct lack of clouds over St Jean D'Aulps.

ski holidays
So ... it’s our last day in Avoriaz tomorrow. It’s been our first family skiing holiday and the kids have loved it. Both have progressed well and are starting to make parallel turns and stops, although revert to snow plow at times. Pretty much the same as me then!

They are desperate to tell their pals they have completed a red run. Their confidence is high - they haven’t batted an eye at any of the blues we’ve done. We ski’d the blues down to Lindaretsand passed over Les Tannes in the lift back up. It looks steep in places but it’s tree lined with no steep edges so I was thinking that might be the best candidate. No kids going off a steep piste edge! (Although I guess hitting a tree wouldn’t be ideal either!) I guess if we do it and it’s too much we’ll just side slip down the tough parts ... but anyone with experience of Avoriaz - are there any easier reds?!
latest report
Tannes was the 1st reds our children did way back when.
There's only one tricky section, and you can see it from the Express de Lindarets lift.
Most is nice and easy, theres no edges to fall off either.
From the point where it is no longer parallel to the stash, it very gradually steepens, and narrows, though not very much.
There is a steeper pitch for about 30 metres just before the right hand bend under the Express lift, but you can stay LHS of piste and ride up the bank, or sideslip the steep bit.
Thing is, you wont notice it until your halfway down it as the gradient change is very gradual, it is probably the easiest red in the resort, and as the top is wide and shallow, you'll feel confident, and not notice the slightly steeper bit until you've done it.
If they can do shallow but narrow roads, the red on Chaux Fleurie is not a monster either, the top part is wide and open and shallow, and it's only 100m of road before it feeds into the blue that make it a challenge. On the road, if you are worried stay on the RHS as its against the hill, the LHS is near the edge ( though it not a big or steep drop).
latest report
@zedzed_uk,
to maximise chances of fun and success with the kids, maybe think about what time your doing the run for snow conditions/light and energy of the kids.
Looking at the weather, maybe there will be a Freeze/Thaw going on in Avoriaz tomorrow so maybe 11am/Noon might be best after it has softened up just enough but not turned completely to mush and the light my go flat tomorrow afternoon. Maybe very soon after ski school if the kids are in classes in the morning with a snack in their tummy straight after ski school and then lunch in Linderets.
All the best. Glad you guys had a blast
ski holidays
[/img]dont fancy an airport transfer in this coach from les gets
latest report
Thanks for the help - Tannes went well. As per usual the kids flew down with me shouting “slow down!” from 20m up piste!

Weather update - today was sunny first thing then clouds drifted in from about 9 onwards. So light cloud cover with the odd sunny spell until around 3 when the snow rolled in. By 4 pm visibility was really bad again and we called it for the day. It’s been lightly snowing since then (so about 5 hours) - I’d guess about 10cm, maybe a bit more. If it’s nice in the morning conditions should be good.

We’ve found that (in general) the
Snow gets a little slushy/heavy from around 2 onwards (although we’re usually not up high where it’s probably better?)... so we’ve definitely had our best skiing in the morning.

We did Abricotine (spelling?) today - up the top of the Mossette lift. Bit windy right at the top - but we all loved the run. It’s a blue, and after a narrow-ish start it widens out and you can get some real speed up. Wish we’d been down it earlier in the week. The views at the top are stunning.

Jealous of those heading out this week - hope you have a great time. If you have any questions about the resort or beginner runs/areas ask away Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 30-03-18 20:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Many thanks for the report @zedzed_uk, looking forward to getting back on the planks in the pds from Sunday.
snow conditions
First day in Avoriaz today - whiteout all morning, but skiing in the trees in fresh snow was amazing! Started to clear up this afternoon, and blue skies and sun appeared just as the lifts shut!
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
First day in Avoriaz today - whiteout all morning, but skiing in the trees in fresh snow was amazing! Started to clear up this afternoon, and blue skies and sun appeared just as the lifts shut!

We found the same - when the weather closed in (snow/mist, low visibility) the runs down to Lindarets (between the trees) seemed to be best.
ski holidays
Beautiful day today! Blue skies and sunshine! Made even better by our youngest going from tears on day 1 yesterday to loving it today. Maybe he’s got the bug on only his second day?!?!! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:
Beautiful day today! Blue skies and sunshine! Made even better by our youngest going from tears on day 1 yesterday to loving it today. Maybe he’s got the bug on only his second day?!?!! snowHead snowHead

Sounds like what happened to my wife - although I'd say it was day 1 "hated it", day 2-3 tolerated it, day 4-7 loved it. We've got post-ski holiday / Avoriaz blues ... so make the most if it and enjoy every minute Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After yesterday's snowfall, great snowboarding conditions in PLJ today:
snow report
Hi All

Have the chance to join a few friends for an end of season ski at the weekend in Avoriaz, but looking at the weather it looks a tad too warm - 10/11c at Avoriaz and 5 or 6 at 2500m.

Will it be worth the expense, or will I be skiing through thick porridge (as I suspect...)

Thanks
snow report
mauddib wrote:
Hi All

Have the chance to join a few friends for an end of season ski at the weekend in Avoriaz, but looking at the weather it looks a tad too warm - 10/11c at Avoriaz and 5 or 6 at 2500m.

Will it be worth the expense, or will I be skiing through thick porridge (as I suspect...)

Thanks

First time temperatures have anywhere near that level all winter. If you let ‘thick porridge’ put you off a 5m base and plenty of spring skiing fun, perhaps you should stay at home.....
ski holidays
Snow conditions are great for boarding.
And if you can make early doors, probably ok for double plankers.
Also, there's a Foo Fighters Tribute band playing the closing party Chez Flo, so whats not to like?
snow conditions
@mauddib, If the weather does as expected, it'll be classic spring skiing. Don't go out too early and program late lunches. Lovely.
snow conditions
Yep, today was a typical spring day - icy slopes early on, which soon softened up to give some beautiful conditions. We skied longer for a late lunch as we knew conditions were due to turn and lifts were at risk of shutting. Waiting for the reported storm to really kick in.
ski holidays
Wanted to ski over to Switzerland but the Mossettes lift was shut and has been for a few days, anyone know why?
snow report
Quote:

reported storm

Storm? what storm? http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php (it is raining in Geneva and we did have a storm down here earlier).
snow conditions
There was a hail storm and strong winds about 2hrs ago, but now just a bit of light drizzle at 1250m.
ski holidays
Warnings on all the lifts in Avoriaz about thunder storms due to kick in sometime today, and lifts might shut. Heard a few rumbles of thunder an hour or two ago, but was expecting a little more.
latest report
@Handy Turnip, OK, go with the (more) local knowledge then!
ski holidays
We had strong winds and thunder at the chalet about 3 this afternoon. We had driven round to Sommand this morning and spent two or three hours in glorious sunshine there and Praz de Lys.
Just had more thunder here.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy