Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Ozboy wrote:
@DJL, From the app and also reflected in the downloadable official PDF. You were right.. I've just read the small print on the PDF carefully which notes: "Fermeture des installations pour vent fort" (ie. strong Foehn!). Perhaps PLJ remain open due to wind direction or they are more resilient detaceable chairs due to age Going green Going green

PLJ is more sheltered, on 3 sides, so likely a case of wind direction. I've never seen that type of closure bofore, but it must have been very quiet up there with access only from Morgins.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snoozeboy, @DJL... Hope to finally have our place in Chatel ready by Easter (should have been in time for 2017 Christmas!) but I am not holding my breath.

Do you know if there are any plans in the future to upgrade the Super Chatel area and its lifts?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Queequeg Enjoy your skiing.

Thanks, will do Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ozboy wrote:
@snoozeboy, @DJL... Hope to finally have our place in Chatel ready by Easter (should have been in time for 2017 Christmas!) but I am not holding my breath.

Do you know if there are any plans in the future to upgrade the Super Chatel area and its lifts?

I hope not, as I can't see what needs upgrade. It's a great, sunny, quiet area to ski during the dark months of December and January and changing the drag lifts to chairs will only make it less quiet. They can go to Avoriaz for chairs and crowds.

Congratulations on your place. Better to get it done properly 4 months late, than on-time with corners cut.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snoozeboy, thanks we’ve been waiting since March 2015 so now just want to be there!!

I agree SC should be kept quiet but needs a good lick if paint to bring back some of the ‘Super’. Our young daughters, now 6 and 3 will be learning up there and over the back. How crowded is it up there over the Feb hols?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello mate, "Super" is just Frenchish for "above", as in Above Chatel, not intended as a declaration of quality.

I'm not sure what you mean by a lick of paint. I'd agree that the restaurant at the top of the gondola is looking pretty dated, but the Escale on the other side is newly renovated. I don't rate Escale that highly, but it has a great terrace for rare warm days in December and January, whereas the Plaine Dranse restos only get the sun until 1pm in those months. I'd also agree that there's a lack of Chatel-quality restos in that general area, except for the secret spot hidden off the l'Epervier piste. Sssh!

The clunky old Conche, 3 seater non-detachable chair could probably be replaced, but as for the drag lifts, I'd keep them the same. Snowboarders hate them and with the exception of the one in Chalet Neuf, they're hardly long enough to justify a chair.

I rarely ski there in the Feb hols, so I don't know exactly how quiet. I can tell you that that area will be much quieter than Linga/Plaine Dranse and if you want quieter still, either ski the Barbossine area or ski to La Chapelle via Torgon, but these are not really beginners' slopes.

For your kids, after they graduate from the nursery piste/snowgarden, take them to ski the 3km Belette green in Pre la Joux. They'll progress much quicker than from having to take the rope tow or magic carpet over and over.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snoozeboy, Super! I learnt something new today Very Happy. Yes I meant doing up the restaurant etc - looks dated. And agree that old triple chair needs upgrading. In fairness to them we’ve only been up there when the snow was poor in April and did not see the area at it best.

I am happy to ski whatever snow is in front of me (learnt to ski in Australia, so take what I can get) - we spent a relaxed morning skiing that side of the mountain inc deserted areas over the back of SC and in the afternoon went over to La Chapelle and skiied Cret Beni with some local friends. Kids were not with us but agree these areas will be great for them to develop their skiing away from traffic.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ozboy, Cret Beni also has a nice long easy angled road a bit like Belette at PLJ. That would work for small kids.

Super Chatel at half term gets busy. There are a couple of pinch points where the queues can get fractious - Chermeu particularly.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@langball, @Sack the Juggler, so we may bump into you that evening!

There's five of us and the others are just as interested in beer as they are in skiing. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First day in pds, started off in morzine/les gets, good snow at the top of the mountain but hard and icy on the lower half.

Went to avoriaz in the afternoon and the snow was brilliant with some powder and the sun even made an appearance!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was in morzine last year when the Super Morzine section was closed due to lack of snow and getting the bus up to Prodains was a royal pain the back bottom.

It's open at the moment and we return on the 20th. Is the snow good enough there are the moment to ensure it stays open ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Given the amount of snow they've had I cant see the Super Morzine link closing unless there a massive thaw. They're major runs and the resorts will do all they can to keep them open even late into the season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skied the runs down to super morzine today on the way home. Loads of snow on them and lovely snow. They were that nice we did the blue down to the gondola a few times with no one else on the piste.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@northeastsurfer, when you say hard and icy on the lower half, are you talking about the runs back into Morzine or into Les Gets?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mosha Marc, there are 8 of us, so the bar is going to get a bit busy Laughing

we might have to meet up just for a snowheads photo and then disperse before we take over the whole bar snowHead Laughing
latest report
[quote="Sack the Juggler"]@northeastsurfer, when you say hard and icy on the lower half, are you talking about the runs back into Morzine or into Les Gets?[/quote

Didn't ski all the way down to les gets, they were definitely icey heading back to morzine although they would have probrably softened later in the day.]
snow report
thanks @northeastsurfer and @TheGingerPrince,
latest report
We skied down to the bottom of the Melezes and Vorosses yesterday and they were fine, the red of the Rosta was particularly nice first thing, in Les Gets. We did see an ESF instructor go flying on her way down the Melezes, her class of three or four appeared to pick up her skis, and she looked fine later. We nipped over to Praz de Ly this morning, it was deserted and not very good light so we spent a bit of time in the trees. The top of the runs there had two or three inches of fresh snow which was great.
snow conditions
Duplicate

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 9-01-18 23:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Cheers all. Be there Monday
snow report
As of Monday, the link between Morgins Village and Chatel is serviced by a free bus.
Le Corbeau is closed for the time being.
Le bus stops at Lac De Vonnes ( in the car park between Gableou and PdS).
Snow was in good nick in Fornet yesterday, with the 10 cm top-up from Monday night.
Coubore did not open till early afternoon when the clouds lifted, but plenty of nice snow around.
Did see a few idiots skiing the Mosettes snow cross under the avalanches- it still looks pretty unstable there.
Heading out in few mins.
snow report
@WindOfChange, hope you enjoyed it
snow conditions
Does anyone happen to know if there's a ski rental shop in Avoriaz which stays open quite late?
(We're arriving for a cheeky weekend on 1st Feb but one of our group will need to hire skis, and ideally I'd like to get that done on the night we arrive rather than wasting ski time in the morning. )

Ta Smile
latest report
@snoozeboy, Secret spot off l'Epervier?? Tell me more. No one's listening and I love to find a new restaurant.....
ski holidays
@jonm, I think they mostly close at 6pm. They open at 0800 Monday to Friday.
snow report
snowfraise wrote:
@snoozeboy, Secret spot off l'Epervier?? Tell me more. No one's listening and I love to find a new restaurant.....

Chalet de Theo. Menu is simple, Savoyarde stuff, which I usually avoid, but the fact that it's hidden and you're surrounded by walkers and others in the know, makes it taste so much better.
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, ok, thanks. 8am will be fine Smile
snow report
@snoozeboy, Thank you. We've never managed to get all the way around to Barbossine, and this year it's a priority - great to have somewhere to aim for.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Barbossine- superb run! magnificent.
latest report
Looks like a nice top up again last night. Definitely been more snow this week (+10cm) than the models were forecasting, proof they do occasionally underestimate. Let's hope they are on the right track for much bigger snowfalls next week and beyond.

Should be a great day for those arriving now. Still up for a beer on Friday in bar bush....ill probably be watching the rugby. @hawkwind and @windofchangeofunderpants.....get on board, need more locals to balance things out
snow report
@jonm, I am under the impression that most shops in most resorts close at 19:00 (in Chamonix and Morzine they do...)
ski holidays
Found some untracked lines on the Satellite yesterday.
6 cm of unexpected snow last night @ 1250m, although there was none below 1100m.
Should be great today for those lucky enough not to be working Sad
ski holidays
@barbossine, Very Happy How tricky is it?
ski holidays
@jonm, Why not try one of the rental delivery ski services :
https://doorstepskis.com/en/
http://www.intersport-morzine.com/en/exclusives-services/ski-delivery-chalet-36.html

@Ozboy, I was in Morgins when they closed down the SC sector as was 2/3 way round the circuit.
Both the Corbeau and the PdS were closed - I did not get back into the SC sector.
We were only aware of it, when we got on the lazy bus in Morgins to go over to the Corbeau from the Foilleuese, and the driver went straight to Lac de Vonnes.
The wind was gusty at the time, and the Planachaux chair had been temporarily suspended a couple of times.
Mrs WoC is on the hill today, and reports great conditions.
latest report
snowfraise wrote:
@barbossine, Very Happy How tricky is it?

Standard red run but has a bit of a side hill slant. not an issue for anyone above beginner standard. Beginners wouldn't like it much.
snow conditions
Couple of fresh inches this morning in Les Gets. We went over to SJD and the Roc d’Enfer circuit. The sun came out, it was very very quiet and going up the chairlift at Grayson we could see at least ten Chamoisin the distance. The Tavaillon was well and truly shut so good job we had stopped for coffee at Torchon.
ski holidays
Arriving next Wednesday for a long weekend. Forecasts for the back of next week for are making me a bit nervous. Shocked
latest report
@WindOfChange, I never knew such a service existed, thank you Very Happy
latest report
@Kruisler, for why? You don't like snow?
ski holidays
@under a new name, I do but if it stops me getting there or closes the lifts.. I'm only there for 4 days (And that might be it this year) so erring on the side of paranoia. In 2016 we had rain for 4 days, last year next to no snow.. It'd be ironic to have too much snow this year.. Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy