Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many of us use dry slopes? Do you benefit from them?

Poster: A snowHead
I haven't been in a long time but my thoughts are beginning to turn toward my next snow trip in April. Should I get a little practice in? Last time I went (about a decade ago) I was bored stiff after 10 minutes, p r a t t ing up and down the mogul slope at Sandown showing off with old school tricks. But, for some strange reason, I feel compelled to go again.....

Do you go regularly and if so, why do you keep it up? For that carving sensation? To keep the muscles well oiled? Or for the views?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevin mcclean, I started going to Aldershot nearly a year ago after some suggestions here that it would be good for refining technique. I thought I was an OK skier before, but the first (attempt at a) turn on the matting showed me how deluded I was. I have been going on average 1.5 times a week since, and my on-piste technique has improved substantially. Maybe a bit counter-productive for my not-particularly-well-ingrained off-piste technique in the short term (as it gets you doing things that are bad news off-piste - like over-edging), but I'm sure that in making me a generally better technical skier all round it will bring long term benefits there as well.

I would agree that about 10 minutes is about the boredom limit if you're not practicing anything specific, but then I find that's the same for on-piste on snow as well! Give yourself some targets to turn around though (either actual physical gates, stubbies or other obstacles, or just mental points on the slope) and the experience is completely transformed. Some may consider the whole thing masochism, but then many 'normal' people would consider sliding down a mountain in the freezing cold with a not insignifcant chance of causing yourself permanent injury, in boots that encase your feet in a vice-like grip, masochism as well - poor deluded souls that they are Very Happy snowHead

The bruising when it all goes pear-shaped is the only major downside. Embarassed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would use it alot....if we had one in Jersey Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I go at least 3 times a week in winter and 2 times a week in summer - for the views wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I go regularly, at least once a week, for a group lesson. keeps your mind focused on always improving. And as it's the same group of people every week (as it has been for the last 5 yrs), then it also becomes a social event during the week
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't go anymore as the rental equipment truly is bad and the last time the sprinklers system was US. This is sadly at one of the longest slopes in the UK. Sad aint it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kevin, you say the last time you went to a plastic slope you were "bored stiff after 10 minutes, p r a t t ing up and down the mogul slope at Sandown"

You clearly weren't on a horse. That's the problem.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
very boring but good for technique if you can hack the plasticness of it Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kevin mcclean, Where do you live - come to our race club - that isn't
Quote:

p r a t t ing up and down

wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The only benefit I gained from them was hurting the base of 2 thumbs in one fall Sad (I was wearing gloves, just in case you think I am stupid too!)
So I haven't been back in the last 10 years.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I didn't get to ski on snow all the time, I'd be on plastic regularly - much preferable to over-crowded and much smaller snowdomes! Nothing wrong with it except that they're all too small (except Hillend), and they're not the real thing. Great for technique, great for keeping you going, also getting to meet other skiers. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Way, im headin to hillend on sunday, what's it like?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jstw, steep(ish) long(ish) Scott(ish).

easiski, we owe you one wink snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At school and Uni we used to race on them weekly. Definitely a good idea, especially as you have to modify your technique slightly, which broadens your ability.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Plastics good for keeping your technique in shape and also meeting like wise Snowheads
ski holidays
Never use a dry slope but do go to xscape about once every 6 weeks, any more then that it gets boring
ski holidays
I ski on our local dry slope regularly-our main run is the hideous dendex, but we now have a new intermediate snowflex slope, which is actually pretty good to ski on.

I'm there at least once a week-it's not over busy and there's always a couple of instructors around if you need any help. We now have a supervised freestyle session too (on the new snoflex funpark) which is great fun and a good way of trying out new stuff in a controlled, safe environment.

After spending a week on snow I found that my skiing had improved dramatically when I got back on the dry slope, but I still go at least once a week just to keep the practice up.

AFAIK, skiing on plastic is better than not skiing at all!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy